5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno

You misunderstood my post. I don't want him to attempt Hollywood passes every time he gets the ball. In fact I want him to move the ball quicker, short passing will do as his passing range is not even that good. He's good at two touch football and he doesn't utilize it imo.

He's looking for a pass that never happens. By the time he realises that, everybody is marked and he runs out of options. No wonder he's exhausted after 70mins really considering how much he runs with the ball.
The number 1, ideal route that any footballer or manager will tell you to they want... is to pass forward in a straight line to their attacker who can then shoot, as ultimately it's the quickest and easiest route to goal. But teams play narrow preventing that avenue, however sometimes players come along that can, at the right moment, bypass going wide, going sideways. Once in a blue moon, you get a Leeds come to Old Trafford who forget their principals in the middle of the pitch, and we can just pass in a straight line from Maguire, to McTomminay, to Bruno and attack quickly. No need for patient sideways football.

The pass might only be on 4-5 times per game, but it will often contribute to a direct attack which can score goals. Compare that to shifting it quickly sideways, that contributes to nothing. He clearly gets instructed to do that, every day in training, because i've seen him do it and contribute to clear cut, big chances often for both us and for Chelsea.

Top level CM's, think Carrick, Scholes, Gerrard, Xavi, they can make that pass 5 times per game and it slices open defences and creates an instant chance. It's the ideal route. Even though Matic is not on the level of these players, he does possess the ability to make that forward pass, and I don't mind him holding on to the ball to see if its available. Because you know what, if the worst case scenario, it isn't on, he can shift it sideways anyway, which is all you wanted him to do in the first place. Nothing lost.

Litch

Maybe I watched a different game but I saw someone that takes 3 or 4 touches before he passes it. He can't get around the pitch and maybe this way we played yesterday suits him with a very poor Everton team who played extremely defensively.

MileStolar

Serbian news outlet posted a stir up between him and Bruno? He told Bruno off and pushed him, has noone noticed this on here? I can't post media so you'll have to Google it for yourself

Serbian news outlet posted a stir up between him and Bruno? He told Bruno off and pushed him, has noone noticed this on here? I can't post media so you'll have to Google it for yourself
Seen it yeah.

Think Bruno will be on the end of a few of them down the years, right nasty bastard he is. He’s already had a barny with Lindelöf, now Matic. Next up....

I love it, shows Bruno’s passion.

MileStolar

Seen it yeah.

Think Bruno will be on the end of a few of them down the years, right nasty bastard he is. He’s already had a barny with Lindelöf, now Matic. Next up....

I love it, shows Bruno’s passion.
As long as it doesn't make foul atmosphere in the squad. We want them horny (LVG kind of horny) but United not divided. Hopefully it's just some hot blood in the heats of the battle and nothing that creates a divide.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The number 1, ideal route that any footballer or manager will tell you to they want... is to pass forward in a straight line to their attacker who can then shoot, as ultimately it's the quickest and easiest route to goal. But teams play narrow preventing that avenue, however sometimes players come along that can, at the right moment, bypass going wide, going sideways. Once in a blue moon, you get a Leeds come to Old Trafford who forget their principals in the middle of the pitch, and we can just pass in a straight line from Maguire, to McTomminay, to Bruno and attack quickly. No need for patient sideways football.

The pass might only be on 4-5 times per game, but it will often contribute to a direct attack which can score goals. Compare that to shifting it quickly sideways, that contributes to nothing. He clearly gets instructed to do that, every day in training, because i've seen him do it and contribute to clear cut, big chances often for both us and for Chelsea.

Top level CM's, think Carrick, Scholes, Gerrard, Xavi, they can make that pass 5 times per game and it slices open defences and creates an instant chance. It's the ideal route. Even though Matic is not on the level of these players, he does possess the ability to make that forward pass, and I don't mind him holding on to the ball to see if its available. Because you know what, if the worst case scenario, it isn't on, he can shift it sideways anyway, which is all you wanted him to do in the first place. Nothing lost.
You make it sound "black or white", and I disagree with that approach. Why don't we just let everybody linger on the ball for 5 seconds, because maybe there will appear an opportunity for defense-splitting pass? That would surely make us a better team right?

Sometimes it happens, but it's very rare and mostly in latter stages of the game. Once in blue moon as you said, so for me it's the wrong tactic.

Also, you clearly don't understand what is the idea of quick short passing and how it contributes to build-up play (as you called it "contributes to nothing"). I would like to see more pass and move approach with Matic because it clearly suits him more with his touch and dribbling skills rather than looking for long range pass which isn't even his strength.

And passing it quickly is not the same thing as making a run and passing it sideways because you run out of options as opposition marked every player in dangerous position.

GlasgowCeltic

His composure on the ball is so good I can’t help thinking he’s got one more big run of form in him

Jonno

You make it sound "black or white", and I disagree with that approach. Why don't we just let everybody linger on the ball for 5 seconds, because maybe there will appear an opportunity for defense-splitting pass? That would surely make us a better team right?

Sometimes it happens, but it's very rare and mostly in latter stages of the game. Once in blue moon as you said, so for me it's the wrong tactic.

Also, you clearly don't understand what is the idea of quick short passing and how it contributes to build-up play (as you called it "contributes to nothing"). I would like to see more pass and move approach with Matic because it clearly suits him more with his touch and dribbling skills rather than looking for long range pass which isn't even his strength.

And passing it quickly is not the same thing as making a run and passing it sideways because you run out of options as opposition marked every player in dangerous position.
My previous point said that Matic has that ability to pick out a pinpoint straight pass that slices open defensive lines. You can't just let everybody do it. McTomminay, for example, is full of energy and drive, but decisive forward passing, splitting two lines of defence isn't his strong-point.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My previous point said that Matic has that ability to pick out a pinpoint straight pass that slices open defensive lines. You can't just let everybody do it. McTomminay, for example, is full of energy and drive, but decisive forward passing, splitting two lines of defence isn't his strong-point.
And this is based on what? When was the last chance he created that way? And how is that more effective than moving the ball quickly?

Clearly I don't rate Matic long range passing ability as high as you are but never mind. You don't mind him lingering on the ball because he can create something from the deep. I do mind because it's not working, and we could utilize Matic best attributes better.

Jonno

And this is based on what? When was the last chance he created that way? And how is that more effective than moving the ball quickly?

Clearly I don't rate Matic long range passing ability as high as you are but never mind. You don't mind him lingering on the ball because he can create something from the deep. I do mind because it's not working, and we could utilize Matic best attributes better.
Ive seen him do it many times both for United and Chelsea, over the past 5-10 years

edcunited1878

His job isn't to create from deep rather than facilitate forward play by breaking lines. What's the point of passing it quickly just to do it? Matic always looks to break lines into Martial or Bruno, but it's totally fine to retain possession and knock it about. When you're playing vertical passes that break lines of defense or bypass lines, you're forcing defensive players and lines to go backwards and on the back foot. Matic does this every game and it's also good probing of defensive lines. If you take away a vertical narrow pass, you're allowing for quick switches of play or an overload to either side via a square ball. Playing quick passes with good tempo relies more on the off ball movement and finding pockets of space to turn or pass and move up the pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Ive seen him do it many times both for United and Chelsea, over the past 5-10 years
Ok. I'll take your word to it, because I don't remember when was the last time he did that for us.

His job isn't to create from deep rather than facilitate forward play by breaking lines. What's the point of passing it quickly just to do it? Matic always looks to break lines into Martial or Bruno, but it's totally fine to retain possession and knock it about. When you're playing vertical passes that break lines of defense or bypass lines, you're forcing defensive players and lines to go backwards and on the back foot. Matic does this every game and it's also good probing of defensive lines. If you take away a vertical narrow pass, you're allowing for quick switches of play or an overload to either side via a square ball. Playing quick passes with good tempo relies more on the off ball movement and finding pockets of space to turn or pass and move up the pitch.
Exactly. So why does he linger on the ball for 5 seconds? It seems to me like you're making the same point as I am, just using different words.

432JuanMata

Also Matic was class at Chelsea and when he first arrived here. He played well last night but we need a player like him just younger. What he does is needed but he is declining and we should look at him as a squad player

edcunited1878

Ok. I'll take your word to it, because I don't remember when was the last time he did that for us.

Exactly. So why does he linger on the ball for 5 seconds? It seems to me like you're making the same point as I am, just using different words.
He's looking for a forward pass that is between players that breaks lines. It doesn't always mean he is dwelling on the ball.

Passing out wide to the LB or to a CB is usually open as the safest option, but not the most progressive pass compared to a straight ball into Bruno or a forward.

He literally does this twice at the beginning and end of a entire passage of play yesterday during the first half when Cavani shot first time from a Telles cross, then flicked the rebounded from his right foot to his left for a half volley. Then Everton tried to clear but the ball ended up to Matic who passed a ball down the right channel to Greenwood.

Holters

Our best outfield player today. We really need a younger, more mobile version of Matic. Caicedes looks like the right type of player.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Was correcting everybody's errors including Bruno's. Great positioning in the box, definitely MOTM against anti-football shite that is Wolves.

RuudtheRed

I felt he was probably our best midfielder based on overall play today. Not the slow, ponderous version we've come to expect, but the assured CDM in possession and in defence which appears if we play him sparingly.

Credit to Ole for his selection - I thought Fred / McT might have been a better choice especially when dealing with Adama Traore's pace on the break, but Matic pretty much neutralized the threat with his experience. Happy that he can still offer the team something when called upon.

GMoore23

Can still do a Job when not overplayed. Prefer Fred next to him though.

el3mel

He bossed it ! Fantastic performance from him. He's regaining form in the best time for us.

Litch

Played well. You can see why Ole picks him for these types of games that require a more measured approach.

SSSSnake

Still takes too long on the ball and against better opposition he would look bang average. At least Fred got a rest today and we get the 3 points.

thepolice123

Was like a ball magnet today, every loose ball every challenge came to him. Also used the ball well as usual.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Phenomenal performance, I felt he was left isolated and had to do the bulk of the work as Pogba didn’t support him but it didn’t stop him dominating.

Castia

Brilliant again today just like last week against Everton. He can do that DM job perfectly which in theory should let his midfield partner get forward, shame Pogba was shite today.

snk123

Still takes too long on the ball and against better opposition he would look bang average. At least Fred got a rest today and we get the 3 points.
Thats called having composure on the ball. All elite midfielders have that.

arthurka

Hate Matic and Pogba midfield but Matic was fantastic. But we look very flat with these two. Great game from Matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.