Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Istanbul Basaksehir 2:1 Man Utd

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There’s not a single decent thing I can say about him, he’s complete and utter garbage. Half arses everything, ponderous and cannons every single pass to feet like he’s trying to kick through a brick wall. He’s been our worst player this season, and with some of the shite we’ve seen that’s impressive.

flappyjay

Good job getting that contract by him and his agent. I said it back then you can't go around giving old players long contracts.

predator

Youth NITK
Like the man as person and always rated him as a player but he's done at the top level now. Sad but true. Thanks Nemanja.

Devil81

Another who got a new deal when it was time to say goodbye.

kundalini

Looked like he was in his early 50s, a former player from a long time ago, not someone in his early 30s. No idea what he was doing for Demba Ba's goal. Even the 2nd goal, you'd hope your defensive midfielder would get back in time to influence events, especially with Shaw situated out on the touch-line.

R'hllor

Good thing he is running out his contract, so we can make clean cut with him, oh wait...

Master Yoda

I think Matic was absolute class. The fact that you think leaving Matic as our last man was the tactic is laughable. Matic was the only one to sense danger after that corner kick, 2 of our centerbacks were still in the penalty box, Shaw nowhere to be found, Wanbisaka never runs back as usual so the outcome was obvious. Just to remind you, Matic was also in the box when the corner was taken, yet our 32 year old was first to run back in position.

It comes as no suprise we dominated the 2nd half with 70% posession, but the reality is we have a team full of overrated players. We have only 5 players that are worthy of Man United shirt and ++ imposters. Bruno, Matic, Donny, Martial and Shaw are world class, while Greenwood is in the mix, great potential. The other lads can pack their bags.

We have a bad defence and do concede many goals, but dont forget, we also dont score many.... if any at all. We usually have to count on penalties which tells you the whole story. We are rotten from top to bottom, all the way from De Gea to overrated Rashford.

El Jefe

Him and Mata should be in Turkey with Demba Ba as part of the Chelsea old boys crew. But United being United decided to give both of them a contract extension of up to three years. You couldn't make it up.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Looked like he was in his early 50s, a former player from a long time ago, not someone in his early 30s. No idea what he was doing for Demba Ba's goal. Even the 2nd goal, you'd hope your defensive midfielder would get back in time to influence events, especially with Shaw situated out on the touch-line.
Totally agreed. I don't know what's worse, the board/manager thinking he can play for another three years of football for us or his own performances. Can't think of a player who is so slow on turn, doesn't like to defend, can't cover ground, is absolutely shocking at marking and is thought of someone who can do a great job as a DM. You can tell a bad poster who understands nothing about football from a reasonable one by just judging Matic. "He's our only DM!" Sure thing, for fecks sake.

Unfortunately I don't see Inter being dumb enough to come for him, to save us again... he's Seria A midtable level player now..

ManU Irish

I think Matic was absolute class. The fact that you think leaving Matic as our last man was the tactic is laughable. Matic was the only one to sense danger after that corner kick, 2 of our centerbacks were still in the penalty box, Shaw nowhere to be found, Wanbisaka never runs back as usual so the outcome was obvious. Just to remind you, Matic was also in the box when the corner was taken, yet our 32 year old was first to run back in position.

It comes as no suprise we dominated the 2nd half with 70% posession, but the reality is we have a team full of overrated players. We have only 5 players that are worthy of Man United shirt and ++ imposters. Bruno, Matic, Donny, Martial and Shaw are world class, while Greenwood is in the mix, great potential. The other lads can pack their bags.

We have a bad defence and do concede many goals, but dont forget, we also dont score many.... if any at all. We usually have to count on penalties which tells you the whole story. We are rotten from top to bottom, all the way from De Gea to overrated Rashford.

Is this a joke of a post, Matic was absolute class and sensed Danger, are you having a laugh. The two centre backs go up for a corner, Matic is sitting and loses Demba Ba. If Ole wants to guarantee to be sacked, keep picking Pogba and Matic.

Devil may care

He was solid, misplaced a couple of passes but overall I didn't feel he was a big issue today.

Devil may care

What’s your take on the Sunday League goal we conceded and his part as the last man ?
I blamed him and Maguire for the first goal in my match post, one of them has to take responsibility no doubt, but his 90 minute performance was middle of the road, not as good as the best 3 tonight, but not amongst the worse, and this is coming from one of Matic's biggest critics, Id have sold him when we binned off Mourinho, he only has 5 or 6 good games in the tank per season these days.

Robbie Boy

Giving him that new contract after about 3 good games is peak United post-Fergie.

Dve

People has been crying for him to start instead of McTominay or Fred. Well, I disagree.

Dve

I blamed him and Maguire for the first goal in my match post, one of them has to take responsibility no doubt, but his 90 minute performance was middle of the road, not as good as the best 3 tonight, but not amongst the worse, and this is coming from one of Matic's biggest critics, Id have sold him when we binned off Mourinho, he only has 5 or 6 good games in the tank per season these days.
Well, I think you got that wrong twice then. Their first goal came after a corner situation, and it´s never Maguire´s or Matic´s job to do the cover on corners, is it. That´s Bissaka´s job. However, it would never had been a topic if it wasn´t for Mata´s horrible involvement followed by a very risky pass from Fernandes.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

Agree that Matic wasn't at fault for the first goal, nor that he deserves the stick he gets in cycles on here. Tonight wasn't his best game but he's proven time and time again the qualities he brings to the team.

Not surprised that he didn’t play well. All throughout his United career he’s had this habit of being mostly poor, but with sporadic runs of 3-4 really good consecutive matches.

This leads to calls for him to be our regular DM, then after a short time he reverts back to type for a sustained period of time. He gets dropped again, Fred/McTominay come in and are an improvement (though still not brilliant), but as soon as either or both have one or two poor games, the calls for Matic to start re-emerge.

Then he plays and quickly reminds such people that he’s a shadow of the player he used to be.

At his age he can be useful when used very sparingly, but no more than that.

Devil may care

Well, I think you got that wrong twice then. Their first goal came after a corner situation, and it´s never Maguire´s or Matic´s job to do the cover on corners, is it. That´s Bissaka´s job. However, it would never had been a topic if it wasn´t for Mata´s horrible involvement followed by a very risky pass from Fernandes.
Your holding midfielder's job is to hold, Matic isn't a threat in the box and Maguire is the captain, how did he not tell anyone in the team to drop back? That's what leaders are supposed to do.

Ekeke

Thought he did well off the bench last match, but was terrible in Turkey. Right now it seems like a race to the bottom for Fred and Matic with neither good enough

RayK47

He's done as a top level footballer. Not switched on, not following runners from midfield, no pace or passion.

facund

Is this a joke of a post, Matic was absolute class and sensed Danger, are you having a laugh. The two centre backs go up for a corner, Matic is sitting and loses Demba Ba. If Ole wants to guarantee to be sacked, keep picking Pogba and Matic.
I think in large it is a bit of a wum post. Having said that...

Matic must take some blame for being a little slow to react to Ba's movement but typically (in any team he has played in since childhood) a player or two would have been designated to sit on the half way line and neutralise such threats. AWB and/or Shaw would usually perform these roles (Shaw's recent set piece adventures have confused this). Matic would usually hover in the area he was (5-10 yards outside the box) and recycle possession accordingly, knowing that he is covered behind.

Something went very wrong and the lack of awareness was shameful (this is true for Matic and a few other players, any player that would like to consider themselves experienced actually).

The thing that really annoyed me though is that despite identifying as a sloth and reacting poorly, Matic was still the closest player to Ba after an 80 yard sprint (not sure sprint is the most appropriate term). This reflects awfully on the rest of the outfield players.

chiz2kul

Shadow of his former self but you cant blame him for that goal. Thats purely up to coaching IMO

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People has been crying for him to start instead of McTominay or Fred. Well, I disagree.
I don't think there are many who want him playing as the only defensive midfielder. He's simply not mobile enough and once the ball gets past him he's lazy on top of being too slow to actually get back even if he wanted to. However if we are going to play two of our more defensive midfielders it should probably be Matic and Fred since they are both decent on the ball so together should hopefully be able to give us more control and direction than we'd get with just one of them next to McTominay.

Foxbatt

People do not want to blame AWB and that is why Matic is getting the blame. Should he have moved closer to Ba? Yes I think so. Would he have known that Bruno, Mata and more AWB is going to feck up the corner? I do not think so. That was not a pass to Ba. It was a clearance. Even if Matic was level with Ba he is not going to catch him. It was the job of AWB who defends as the last man on corners.
Did he play well? Of course not. I really have no idea why AWB had to get involved in that short corner. He has no business being there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The thing that really annoyed me though is that despite identifying as a sloth and reacting poorly, Matic was still the closest player to Ba after an 80 yard sprint (not sure sprint is the most appropriate term). This reflects awfully on the rest of the outfield players.
If you are complaining about effort it's more because of how much of a head-start he had. Matic had a good 15 metre or so head-start over any of our other players, and although he's certainly slow in terms of acceleration his top speed isn't too bad. Tuanzebe was closing the distance but was never going to make it all up in the time it took Ba to run less than half the pitch (from the far edge of the centre circle to outside our penalty box where he took the shot).

Foxbatt

Mata and Bruno as much as to blame for the feck up. Yes there is no business for AWB to be in that postion.
This is what happend. AWB and Mata combined and AWB crossed the ball and it was headed out for a corner. AWB was back tracking to his defensive position and Matic had run into the edge of their box. Axel and Maguire was just arriving into their box. None of our players was ready when Bruno and Mata combined to take a short corner. AWB had not reached even close to the centre line when they took the short corner. We had only three players in the box. Martial, Rashford and DVB who was just arriving.
To me the fault lies with Bruno and Mata. They should have never taken that short corner because it was too quick. They should have never passed it back to AWB. When the whole thing started Matic was goalside of Ba. By a decent bit. But as the game moved Ba started moving forward and Matic started moving to the right. When AWB received the ball he had the time and space to put a cross in. He decided against it and tried to beat his man outside and he failed to put in a cross. He fell as he put in the cross. Before he decided to beat his man he could have passed it back to Matic who was free and behind him. Matic was at the edge of the box and as the short corner was taken he moved back.
To me the mistake Matic made was not bringing back AWB. There was no way Matic was going to beat Ba to the ball as it was not a pass but a clearance up field.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Every footballers know that if you are assigned to stay back during the corner kick means it’s your job to stay back, don’t leave your position and be aware where the opposition players are. You don’t need coaching for this, you just need footballer to use bit of brain.

In that picture you can tell Matic was assigned to do that as he was the last man and he failed. He left his position and completely unaware where Demba Ba was. Need to question his intelligence there, worse than Sunday league footballer. Wtf was he thinking, he has no purpose to offer himself in that position.

Master Yoda

Every footballers know that if you are assigned to stay back during the corner kick means it’s your job to stay back, don’t leave your position and be aware where the opposition players are. You don’t need coaching for this, you just need footballer to use bit of brain.

In that picture you can tell Matic was assigned to do that as he was the last man and he failed. He left his position and completely unaware where Demba Ba was. Need to question his intelligence there, worse than Sunday league footballer. Wtf was he thinking, he has no purpose to offer himself in that position.
I read somewhere along the comments that Matic is not a threat during set pieces. This comment section cant possible get any funnier after all the assists and goals he scored for us on set pieces.

Either way, lets analyse that picture. This play happened moments after Matic was in the box to recieve the corner. After the corner was neutralized Matic went back to his usual position while both our centerbacks stayed for some reason. I can see an argument for Maguire to stay there for a cross, he sometimes does that, but NEVER have we overstayed our welcome like that with 2 centerbacks. Furthermore, I saw Shaw seconds before that 2m next to AWB on the right wing. Like what the feck is actualy going on there? Is noone sensing any danger? Where is the awarness?

When Ole subbed off Tuanzebe that confirmed my theory.

Honestly does anyone believe that putting a 32 year old, our slowest accelerating player as the last man are tactics from a profesional couching perspective? You should all be ashamed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was solid, misplaced a couple of passes but overall I didn't feel he was a big issue today.
You know, it's not coincidence that our defense was better with Fred & Scott instead of Matic. Normally the issue is we can't break the team down, well yesterday our defense was also the issue.

Matic provides no protection, lazy to drop back and ball watching and even worst he misplaced lot of passes especially in first half when he played in midfield, so I don't know what game you were watching about this solid performance. You must have watched different game.

Master Yoda

You know, it's not coincidence that our defense was better with Fred & Scott instead of Matic. Normally the issue is we can't break the team down, well yesterday our defense was also the issue.

Matic provides no protection, lazy to drop back and ball watching and even worst he misplaced lot of passes especially in first half when he played in midfield, so I don't know what game you were watching about this solid performance. You must have watched different game.
This is the problem with our fanbase and false information, agendas thrown in every direction.

Amount of accurate passes:

1Nemanja Matic(DMC)Man Utd: 117
2Harry Maguire(DC)Man Utd: 78
3Luke Shaw(DL)Man Utd: 71
4Donny van de Beek(DMC)Man Utd: 66
5Bruno Fernandes(AMC)Man Utd: 62

Total passes:

1Nemanja Matic(DMC)Man Utd: 128
2Harry Maguire(DC)Man Utd: 88
3Bruno Fernandes(AMC)Man Utd: 84
4Luke Shaw(DL)Man Utd: 82
5Donny van de Beek(DMC)Man Utd: 71

Wake up people!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is the problem with our fanbase and false information, agendas thrown in every direction.

Total passes:

Wake up people!
May be you should take the 1st half passes only instead of the 2nd half when he played centre back not in midfield because that's what I was talking about. Wake up and read the context first before arguing master yoda.

Master Yoda

May be you should take the 1st half passes only instead of the 2nd half when he played centre back not in midfield because that's what I was talking about. Wake up and read the context first before arguing master yoda.
Its mindblowing you still want to take a stance after I showed you his passing stats. I think Matic was solid throughout the match and stats indicate that. In your case, what you are applying is that Matic was horrendous during first half but performed a miracle in the 2nd one to improve his stats, which is not true at all and we know it. Matic was simply consistent and solid throughout the match. Btw, the stats are not only from 2nd half, both halves included.

Take a long look again before you critisize a players passing. This sure came back to bite you n the ass. Good luck, I have no rights to post anymore because of my newbie status.

Total passes:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Its mindblowing you still want to take a stance after I showed you his passing stats. I think Matic was solid throughout the match and stats indicate that. In your case, what you are applying is that Matic was horrendous during first half but performed a miracle in the 2nd one to improve his stats, which is not true at all and we know it. Matic was simply consistent and solid throughout the match.

Take a long look again before you critisize a players passing. This sure came back to bite you n the ass. Good luck, I have no rights to post anymore because of my newbie status.

Total passes:

Your passing stats is irrelevant to my post. In case you still don't understand, let me tell you again, my post was mentioning about his first half passing.

The final score was 2-1 and both two goals we conceded already happened in first half. What does it tell you?

It tells you that the defense being exposed in first half was the critical reason why we lost the game. And Matic was part of the reason we conceded those two goals too. Our defense was exposed in first half not in second half. There is nothing solid about that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@Master Yoda

The first goal was clear Matic & Bissaka fault, I don't know why you are trying to deny that.

The 2nd goal we conceded (video below) is not something you can blame on Maguire & Axel. Both of them were being dragged over to our right side for 2v2 situation which leaves the left sides wide open (since Shaw was overlapping so far ahead) and this is where the job of defensive midfield Matic to drop back to cover.

Guess, what he did? He provided no protection as he didn't cover, he jog back instead of rushing back, in fact Shaw who was pushed higher actually beats Matic back to our box (Which you can see the difference in starting positions between Shaw & Matic from picture below).

Let me give you example how a proper defensive midfield who sense danger and not ball watching which the aim is to protect defense (watch McT & Matic in that clip):

This is how you provide protection for defense. What Matic did yesterday wasn't solid at all. We would have avoid at least both goals or at least one of them if Mct and Fred playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.