5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickJ

Why did he try and overlap Martial when he played the ball into him in the build up to their second goal? He stays in position and he can make a tackle once they start breaking forward!

Ludens the Red

What was that? As in what was that performance and what was that position? Why was he at left back for twenty mins? What kind of stupidity was going on there?

I dont blame him too much but that was not a game for him. When you have a player who loses the ball as much as Bruno, you need somebody much quicker and more aggressive to win it back quickly i.e Fred. Today was Matic of a couple of years ago.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I dont blame him too much but that was not a game for him. When you have a player who loses the ball as much as Bruno, you need somebody much quicker and more aggressive to win it back quickly i.e Fred. Today was Matic of a couple of years ago.
If sheffield at home in a three man midfield is not the game for him what is?

acnumber9

Nice comeback defending a player who has done nothing but cost us games :lol:
I can’t be arsed debating with a person who’s first instinct is to point score after a defeat. Take your childish shite and bother somebody else with it.

shamans

I can’t be arsed debating with a person who’s first instinct is to point score after a defeat. Take your childish shite and bother somebody else with it.
He wasn't playing and we were winning. I said that's the reason we are winning. You said it's not. Something happened that proved my point of view. That's childish now? Calling me an idiot is mature I suppose.

Red_toad

Him and Pogba are simply not a good match, it's on Ole for selecting them both. I've no coaching experience but I'd never play them together as it's been proven so many times they don't work.

acnumber9

He wasn't playing and we were winning. I said that's the reason we are winning. You said it's not. Something happened that proved my point of view. That's childish now? Calling me an idiot is mature I suppose.
Yet he played against Burnley and we won. So you were talking shite. You are an idiot and have displayed it countless times. Pointing that out isn’t childish.

lex talionis

Matic wasn't all that bad tonight but we didn't need him. We needed either Fred or, knowing what were up against, a third attack-minded midfielder to pressure Sheffield in the final third. We all knew Bruno was bone tired and he looked it, but I can understand starting him. But we didn't need Matic to defend Sheffield attacks that never came and I don't know that Matic is of much use in defending corner kicks, which you just knew was how Sheffield was going to score.

shamans

Yet he played against Burnley and we won. So you were talking shite. You are an idiot and have displayed it countless times. Pointing that out isn’t childish.
Alright. You're one of those. Defend a player before what's best for the club, so I'll leave it at that. Yes you calling me an idiot isn't childish but me pointing out Matic is and has been a liability is. Logic.

acnumber9

Alright. You're one of those. Defend a player before what's best for the club, so I'll leave it at that. Yes you calling me an idiot isn't childish but me pointing out Matic is and has been a liability is. Logic.
No, I just don’t let dislike for a player colour every opinion I have. Matic was shit tonight and crucial in a win just two weeks ago. Players have good game and bad games. No one individual is the reason we lose games. Your only posts tonight are all about Nemanja Matic, one of several shit performances on the night.

United just lost for the first time in months and your first thought is to come in here screaming look at me, look at how right I am. Save it for your friends, they’ll be very proud of you.

MattyB1986

Deadwood. Past it, legs have gone. Great player in his day, needs to be moved on.

el3mel

He was pretty poor but I feel there's massive overreaction here.

Still a good player to have in the squad.

Red_toad

He simply doesn't work with Pogba as his midfield partner. He's a good back up if he's played alongside a more mobile and defensively clever partner.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not really protecting him because we do need a new CDM but I honestly believe he would have been better with Lindelof at RCB than Tuenzebe.

Tuenzebe looked lost, was being moved around to the point where Matic had to play as a 2nd defender at times (not a 3rd defender that drops back) and provided no sort of build up to our creativity from deep.

Devil81

My biggest bug bear, Pogba and Fernandes chasing balls back because Matic hasn't got the legs or work rate of Fred or Mctominey.

He's finished for me, has been for a while.

Andersons Dietician

Few times when he’s played now he’s dropped in to a position of a left sided CB and just seemed to stay there. Fred will fill the same position in games sometimes but he doesn’t just stay there. He gets back in to midfield to help and give options that Matic just wasn’t doing.

This then leaves Pogba isolated in midfield because Bruno doesn’t play in midfield either so we then struggle to build or hold anything. Now I think when Matic was on the ball or for most of the part defending he wasn’t really that bad. But the decision to go forward beyond Martial leaving Martial no options to pass to anyone under preasure was stupid. Not something you’d expect from as an experienced player as he. It’s made worse by Telles going forward as well and this is the exact situation Jose crucified Shaw for early in his reign.

I think Matic has his uses but Pogba Bruno and Matic can’t play together in a midfield 3 if Matic and Bruno are going to refuse to play in midfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

To be fair, he was also poor on the away Sheffield United game. Can’t be called good player to have in the squad if you can’t perform against the same team of ranked 20th in two games. And also the only games he’s done well this season were RB Leipzig home, Southampton away, Everton EFL Cup and Burnley away. 4 games only in all comp is not good enough because it shows we don’t know whether he can perform or no when the manager plays him, need to be moved on and buy a new DM.

Brad2020

3 years! Woodward signed him to a three year contract when he's already 32....remember this because now we won't be able to sell him. Woodward does this all the time! Wasting the Glazer's money seems to be his specialty.

We have no choice now but to make a CDM a top priority transfer this summer.

eire-red

Has all the qualities we need in that CDM role, but unfortunately he's well past it at this stage of his career.

Good pro to have around, and I think provides adequate cover for EL and Carabao. Hope we look to a CDM this summer, but someone in his mould.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Renewing him instead of upgrading was one of our weirdest decisions of last summer. It was clear bar a few choice moments post lockdown that his days of dominating games at this level are over. This would have been the perfect time to get someone new in while we phase matic out but we’ve left it for another year.

lex talionis

Matic can still do a job for us closing out matches where we have a two goal lead. But in a competitive situation, he’s pretty much done.

Matic and Mata were magnificent in their prime, but their prime was spent playing for other clubs.

peridigm

Renewing him instead of upgrading was one of our weirdest decisions of last summer. It was clear bar a few choice moments post lockdown that his days of dominating games at this level are over. This would have been the perfect time to get someone new in while we phase matic out but we’ve left it for another year.
Sitting here thinking he got another year. I had to go and look. 3 fecking years! He’ll be here until June 2023 because we won’t be able to sell him. Makes yesterday even worse. What are we doing?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sitting here thinking he got another year. I had to go and look. 3 fecking years! He’ll be here until June 2023 because we won’t be able to sell him. Makes yesterday even worse. What are we doing?
when it comes to this stuff I really don’t know anymore. I hate the term protecting the asset but that’s what they say they are at. For sure we could have someone better who’s on the up for his wages but it looks like we didn’t want to stump up a fee or just let him leave on a free. We are down to one pretty ineffective player in a majorly important position in the team. Our engine room is way off when Fred doesn’t play but that’s for another thread. Rice is looking more appealing all the time. Pricey though.

Brad2020

I agree here with what everyone is saying, he's past his prime, and is headed for the bench, so...

why on earth would Woodward sign a 32 year old Matic to three more years! It baffles the mind.

Red00012

I agree here with what everyone is saying, he's past his prime, and is headed for the bench, so...

why on earth would Woodward sign a 32 year old Matic to three more years! It baffles the mind.
Asset protection blah blah blah

NoPace

Neville called a halt after that

Matic has 18 months on his contract to run down
There's a move for him out there to shift his wages I think. Some team that sits deep and wants size and passing in a slower league, presumably Serie A.

Matt851

Our approach to making decisions on contract renewals is bizarre. Given he was always likely to decline over the period of the contract we could have surely given him a 2 year contract and then if we still wanted him at the end of that renewed the contract at a lower wage. Guess we have to hope inter will want him

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
For me, Martial and Rashford were the two players who performed badly, the rest of the team were ok, saying that though, the team as a whole just seem to stroll through the game, no real urgency when we got the ball.
I had Matic in my team prior to kickoff, but with Fred and VDB in midfield to give us more energy, the idea being that both full backs would have licence to go as far up the pitch as possible, whilst Matic held a defensive position.
Matic and Pogba together is where we were at the start of the season, and we all know what happened then. They are patently to slow in building up play, allowing the opposition to all get back into defensive positions. We needed players like VDB and Bruno around the box to create little runs in behind, but apart from one Bruno run in behind, found by Telles, it didn't happen much.
Our build up play is far too slow.
I agree that Matic will probably need to move on this summer, Garner or a new DM should take his place.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Matic used the ball much better than Fred tonight. Still, his limitations physically and technically make you wonder why we gave him such a long new deal. Too pedestrian, too cautious.

Devil may care

I thought he was ok, guessing Ole just brought him off as he felt he was running out of steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.