5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

To be honest, apart from 1 bad game he has started this season pretty well. Would prefer he starts more than McTominay when possible, although don't want him playing 2-3 times a week at this point.
The problem is he can't perform for more than 60 minutes a week these days.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a opponents dream in offensive transition. Probably our worst player in defensive transition and his role in the goal is a pathetic attempt from a so called DM who just gave up at trying to stop the West Ham fullback.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Made the difference immediately. Controlled our tempo and ensured we remained patient. We need one of those who can play for 90 mins.

tomaldinho1

Matic went past Capoue like he was rolling back the years and gliding through the open fields of Serbia

Woodenlung

If we had a 26 year old Matic we'd be in business. Snuffed out a few attacks and was responsible for the ball progression from midfield which we didn't have before he came on. Shame he doesn't have the legs to play every game.

RUCK4444

If we had a 26 year old Matic we'd be in business. Snuffed out a few attacks and was responsible for the ball progression from midfield which we didn't have before he came on. Shame he doesn't have the legs to play every game.
Yeah I’ve said that for ages, what we need is a 26 year old Matic, that player is perfect for us, shame his legs started to go almost the moment he arrived.

Excellent player he’s been.

TSE123

Was great when he came on. Controls the midfield. Exactly what united need, and miss with McFred.
Agree he tires after about an hour. But still needs to start till replacement arrives!

acnumber9

The difference in quality of the team performance was huge once we had a midfielder on.

Kag

If only he was ten years younger. He should give McTominay a lesson on what getting on the ball in the middle of park actually looks like.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Passes forward with intent. If his legs could be relied on Matic would transform this team. Massive impact. Such a shame he's in his twilight years.

MetoTTT

The difference in quality of the team performance was huge once we had a midfielder on.
This. Has 2 McTs in every leg. This guy, 5-6 years younger, a good/competent staff and we could be a lot better team and challenge

ExoduS

Shouldn't Pogba play like Matic but with more running and more up front? Why is it so hard for Pogba to succeed at United. I mean, when we had that good run back in first season of Mourinho, Matic played very important role and was played 90 minutes every freaking game... Until he collapsed physically and almost never recovered after that to the full physical form.

Obviously the guy never lost skill, just lost being physical. Makes sense with that large body to not be able to hold up at the age he is in.

I mean, Matic is incredible, but at the same time he is not World class that should be hard to replace.

Dan_F

We all know his limitations at this point in his career, but it honestly felt like he had more influence in the space of 15 minutes than McTominay had all night. He keeps coming on and composing us in midfield, and posters still keep on laughing in the match thread when Ole turns to him.

It’s really feels like he knows he’s able to leave his foot in for a few tackles when he comes on so late. I don’t mind that :devil:

Sylar

Love how he was calming everybody, got the ball and a nice pass to Cavani

We basically need him in midfield but a younger version
He looks for the ball every time and can dictate the pace with his passing range

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Considering how easily we're getting bypassed in midfield anyway I'd be tempted to just say feck it and play him.

YouknowNani

He's by far our best option at CM/DM currently, even at his age. He looked very good when he came on tonight and has looked good all season barring one sub-par half I recall him having.

None of our midfielders appear to be comfortable in possession under pressure, other than him, and despite him being classed as a defensive midfielder, he appears far more competent at driving the team forward than any of our other midfielders. He's not bad defensively either! If we want to play Pogba in midfield, Matic is just about the only player intelligent enough to cover him and dictate the game allowing Pogba the freedom he needs. Pogba with anyone else at CM doesn't work, as we've seen demonstrated repeatedly.

He should be playing as many games as possible for us, even if it's just for 60/70 minutes if that's all he can manage.

Andersons Dietician

Wish Matic could play like this every week. Hes looked decent in most of his cameos recently come on and just injected so,e crisp and probing passing.

YouknowNani

Wish Matic could play like this every week. Hes looked decent in most of his cameos recently come on and just injected so,e crisp and probing passing.
He does play like that every week or pretty much whenever he gets a chance. I think it's been massively exaggerated that he's "past it" or has "run out of steam". I think he's looked very good this season and should be starting, even if he needs to come off after 60 minutes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Played really well tonight. Don't understand the complaints.

Andersons Dietician

He does play like that every week or pretty much whenever he gets a chance. I think it's been massively exaggerated that he's "past it" or has "run out of steam". I think he's looked very good this season and should be starting, even if he needs to come off after 60 minutes.
Pretty much watch every United game and I’ll argue against that. In no way or form does he play like this every week.

YouknowNani

Played really well tonight. Don't understand the complaints.
Complaints? You must not have read the thread. Just about every comment on his performance tonight here has been positive and rightly so.

Redlyn

Coming off the bench like this when the opponent is too tired/wary to run at him much is great. He can just sit and dictate from deep. We are more balanced with him.

Wheato

We didn't get any foothold in this game until Matic came on. He immediately showed how different we are with a holding midfielder who takes the ball off the back 4 and brings it forward. Playing through their lines. They were pegged back from the moment he came on. He should have been on from the start, and subbed in the last half an hour, when the game had been won.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We play much, much better with him on the field. Pretty much every time our actual progression up the pitch resembles a normal team when he comes on. Minutes need to be managed but he's a far better midfielder than any we have for the deeper position.

ExoduS

Some people getting carried away. Put Matic in from the start and he usually falls into mediocrity of entire team and losses steam in the second half. He is much better of the bench and I think he should not start most of the games. I think there are few teams against which he can start freely, but not many.

Mercurial

Off the bench vs tired disorganized oppo he is like the old world beater Matic again. Class never fades.

Vernon Philander

Seems like good use of him instead of starting him too often. Changed our whole style when he came on. Class is permanent

Redlyn

We didn't get any foothold in this game until Matic came on. He immediately showed how different we are with a holding midfielder who takes the ball off the back 4 and brings it forward. Playing through their lines. They were pegged back from the moment he came on. He should have been on from the start, and subbed in the last half an hour, when the game had been won.
We've seen him start many times. It's not pretty. Off the bench has been great these past games.

kiristao

Some people getting carried away. Put Matic in from the start and he usually falls into mediocrity of entire team and losses steam in the second half. He is much better of the bench and I think he should not start most of the games. I think there are few teams against which he can start freely, but not many.
I dont think anyone is getting carried away. The general consensus is
1) We need a younger Matic
2) Mctominay needs to learn from Matic on how to play the deep midfield role
3) Matic does not have the legs to last the full 90 mins

dal

Wow these comments are so dramatic.

We didn’t have a foothold in the game because Pogba was playing in a double pivot. Even though, Matic did play well when he came on however I felt Mctominay was really really good throughout the game. He had a mountain of work to do with Pogba having zero positional sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.