5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Wish we could turn the clock back on him. Commanding and demanding. Something McT will never be

Last edited:

Godfather

Wow these comments are so dramatic.

We didn’t have a foothold in the game because Pogba was playing in a double pivot. Even though, Matic did play well when he came on however I felt Mctominay was really really good throughout the game. He had a mountain of work to do with Pogba having zero positional sense.
Not from the comments Ole made. He said we played with two number 8s and Scottie. By that logic Bruno was off position for the whole game.

dal

Not from the comments Ole made. He said we played with two number 8s and Scottie. By that logic Bruno was off position for the whole game.
No, it’s because Pogba can’t play as a number 8.

Godfather

No, it’s because Pogba can’t play as a number 8.
He sure was more of an 8 than Bruno yesterday. Our system reminded me more of a 4-1-4 than a 4-3-3 that Ole claimed we played in. No idea if that was on purpose but it didn't work.

dal

He sure was more of an 8 than Bruno yesterday. Our system reminded me more of a 4-1-4 than a 4-3-3 that Ole claimed we played in. No idea if that was on purpose but it didn't work.
Agreed but Bruno isn’t a number 8 and he’s very effective in the front four. Pogba is neither here or there in most roles.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We need someone like him but younger badly. Someone with authority on the ball and can pass between the lines. Will make us a much better side.

SirAF

Ageist
He’s fecking brilliant when fresh, just a shame he can’t play as much as before.

JoaquinJoaquin

Everything McTominay should be, but frankly isn't. The only problem is, Matic can't do 90 minutes of this each game.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
He’s a great footballer. Always seems to have space around him. He looks fitter these days, still has at least 45 to 60 mins in the tank. He brings cohesion, which is gold dust in the absence of a game plan or anything resembling strategy. I have always admired him. The CAF is full of spotty teens and American Football fans and video game managers who don’t see what he brings. But that’s okay. I can live with that. Calm.

sugar_kane

Not sure if it showed it on TV but when he came on he was straight away telling our defence and midfield to calm the feck down, repeatedly for about the first 5 minutes he was on.

I found this interesting partly because that kind of authoritative leadership & experience is what we miss on the pitch, but also in relation to Ole & Bruno's recent comments about trying to play too quickly or pressing too much.

yamo123x

Not sure if it showed it on TV but when he came on he was straight away telling our defence and midfield to calm the feck down, repeatedly for about the first 5 minutes he was on.

I found this interesting partly because that kind of authoritative leadership & experience is what we miss on the pitch, but also in relation to Ole & Bruno's recent comments about trying to play too quickly or pressing too much.

Spot on. He gave us composure and balance. Unsung hero this season so far for me

Foxbatt

I mentioned referring to an earlier game. Could have been the West Ham or Villa game. He was about to come on and was warming on the touchline and as they had the ball on our right side, he was seen to be shouting and pointing out something to our defence and the ball was passed and they scored. He reads the game well. He was poor during Jose's last season and maybe that was too much for him to play every game. But there are games when his influence is needed to calm things down.
But `I do not understand why he keeps dropping in as a third CB in lots of games?

Sylar

Our post lockdown games had him behind Bruno and Pogba and was some of our best stuff (until we got tired and fizzled out towards the end)
I think we need to start him in matches (like todays), as his calm passing between the lines is what we need for teams who sit back and try and counter.
He might not have the legs, but he gives away (or tries to) foul in Freds position.

Start him, and then sub him after 60 minutes maybe?

Probably dont start him in the big big games as those seem to suit Fred/McT more

GeniusIdiot

Shouldn't have come off. Better than I expected he'd be today, especially as he was a 1 man midfield.
I thought the same.

I can't believe we spent so much on the midfield over the past few years and he is the only one that knows how to play the position. An over the hill Matic that you don't even need to run past is arguably our best option in midfield.

Red00012

Excellent today , reading the match day thread I feel some people aren’t watching the game and just throw out comments.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Him coming off instead of Pogba was either stupidity or cowardice from Ole.

Remember the geese

He played really well. It's damning though because it just shows that this elusive missing piece that we need, would make absolutely no difference alongside Pogba or playing under this current management.

BorisManUtd

He was good aside that one mistake when he was keeping the ball for too long only to lose it or mispass it, can't remember well.

He just shows us what we're lacking in midfield, would be great if he was 5 years younger but it is what it is.

A liability unfortunately. Kept the ball well and his passing is something we are missing, but Leicester were walking through our midfield over and over again. He just does not have the legs for the PL anymore and is far too easy to play around.

Devil may care

The fact his performance today was an upgrade on what we usually see in midfield says it all.

Luke1995

He had a good performance today. A clear upgrade on Fred, on a technical level.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Constantly arriving late. Has the brains, just not the legs. Lots of needless fouls that could have been booked. Good on the ball, even under pressure.

Guapa

Had a good game today,shame he's not 5 years younger .

Foxbatt

A liability unfortunately. Kept the ball well and his passing is something we are missing, but Leicester were walking through our midfield over and over again. He just does not have the legs for the PL anymore and is far too easy to play around.
yes especially when he has Pogba who does feck all to defend. He needs to play with Fred against Liverpool. I would rather DVB plays with Matic against Liverpool.

yes especially when he has Pogba who does feck all to defend. He needs to play with Fred against Liverpool. I would rather DVB plays with Matic against Liverpool.
Fred and Matic are chalk and cheese in how they play though.

United in sin

Astonishing seeing him subbed out for Mctominay
We handed the game to them after that. Everything was going through Matic for us up til that point. McTominay ended up being partially at fault for the goal with his poor marking of the player who assisted Daka

Foxbatt

Fred and Matic are chalk and cheese in how they play though.
This is the point I am making so that Fred and Matic should play together instead of Pogba and whoever he pairs with.

This is the point I am making so that Fred and Matic should play together instead of Pogba and whoever he pairs with.
I mean Fred and Matic never play well together. Fred ends up getting run ragged doing all the legwork and his quick short passing style doesn't fit with Matic who likes to hold the ball and run with it.

Foxbatt

I mean Fred and Matic never play well together. Fred ends up getting run ragged doing all the legwork and his quick short passing style doesn't fit with Matic who likes to hold the ball and run with it.
It is not what Fred wants to do. In a good set up Fred does not run ragged. The problem is Ole. He does not know how to set up a team. If he is going to play a good team he better drop Pogba and bring in Bruno into the middle. Best is to go two up and play 4 midfield players. Today we were getting over run in midfield from the first minute yet he insisted in keeping his formation. Brendon Rogers was delighted with the way we set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.