Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Average. Takes far too many touches which at times is bloody frustrating

Ivor Ballokov

Mixed bag, his passing was accurate but he was too slow making the pass. They didn't press him so he didn't get caught on it. He doesn't offer anything defensively though, he can't keep up and is easy to play around, better teams would punish that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Some of his passing was really good, but he's sooooo slow on the ball. His reactions are shot to bits and is one of the main reasons why they kept cutting through us with ease.

EtH

He was half decent in the first half on the ball but still slowed us down too much. Wheels completely came off in the second. Think it speaks to just how low the standard has dropped for this guy that some are praising that performance. Lost count of how many times he was left for dead by Newcastle attackers charging straight down the center of the pitch. Would have cost us big against a better side. I’m just tired of seeing it. And I don’t know why OGS and the coaching staff aren’t as well.

BorisManUtd

Mixed performance from him, at times decent but at times I'm just scared of him, he tends to keep the ball for too long, inviting pressure and us losing the ball and getting into trouble. Man is 33 so it's understandable he's not old Matić anymore but it shows how important for us is to buy quality DM next summer.

Mr Smith

Ball hog, he shouldn't be on the ball as much as he is.
Hope this is a joke.

He gets on the ball because he has so much space. It's what the player in that position should be doing; moving the ball back and forth. These are the types of games he can still play in; where the opposition sits back and we're expecting to have 60-70% of the ball. Thought he was very good today.

Golden Nugget

I thought he played well and I’m surprised with the comments - maybe my expectations of him were at an all time low after the Southampton game.

I do agree that he faded second half when he tired, but felt it was an overall good game

Litch

He was half decent in the first half on the ball but still slowed us down too much. Wheels completely came off in the second. Think it speaks to just how low the standard has dropped for this guy that some are praising that performance. Lost count of how many times he was left for dead by Newcastle attackers charging straight down the center of the pitch. Would have cost us big against a better side. I’m just tired of seeing it. And I don’t know why OGS and the coaching staff aren’t as well.
I think most people think 'anyone but Fred' and to be honest, I feel the same about Matic. We so need a bloody CDM.....

littleman

Carrick-like decline.. too many touches, holding the ball too long.

Carrick used to do some of the best one touches at his prime. Matic wasn't much of a one-touch player but had amazing dribbling and control.. now.. just holding the ball a bit too long.

Still works in matches when we're dominant

Abraxas

I didn't think he was that bad. He wasn't the only one that cocked up in defending their breaks. Maguire, AWB made errors and you can even look to Pogba's positioning. He was part of a package that struggled in that regard.

On the ball I thought he was fine which is his custom. Unfortunately off it he is a bit of a problem.

RedStarUnited

Hope this is a joke.

He gets on the ball because he has so much space. It's what the player in that position should be doing; moving the ball back and forth. These are the types of games he can still play in; where the opposition sits back and we're expecting to have 60-70% of the ball. Thought he was very good today.
Hope thats a joke.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's just too slow to play that position these days. Whenever a team counter attacks us he's completely out of the picture. He doesn't even do the sly tactical fouls that the other CDM's do on the regular.

Yes he knocked it around under pressure fairly well, but in the 2nd half especially the last 30 I lost count the amount of times he gave it away.

Foxbatt

He was good in the first half and then faded away in the second half. We need to find a replacement for him soon.

Sylar

It was mostly good. But the issue is his lack of mobility for 90 minutes

He did a job for today. Need to merge him fred and mct into one player with all their strengths

Shimo

Maybe it was a result of Newcastle's play but, he was constantly ahead of Pogba in that first half. Saw too much of the ball for my liking but, he was pretty decent with the ball.

Be interesting when it's McTominay in that role next to Pogba.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When Matic plays you see the benefit of having an actual #6 in the team. However, with the occasional dwelling on the ball and tendency to turn away from a through pass, he still makes me pine for Michael Carrick. If a good anchor man, which is what present day Matic is, helps us. What would a properly class one do for us?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I find it weird how often he's in wide areas. Maybe it's just me but I don't see other DMs wide as much as he is. Any sudden turnover and we are in trouble.

Litch

It was mostly good. But the issue is his lack of mobility for 90 minutes

He did a job for today. Need to merge him fred and mct into one player with all their strengths
Agree but not sure one player can anchor the midfield with Pogs and Bruno. Love them both but Christ, they'll leave you hanging on your own irrespective who's in there....

Sylar

Agree but not sure one player can anchor the midfield with Pogs and Bruno. Love them both but Christ, they'll leave you hanging on your own irrespective who's in there....
I think it's a risk when you play against teams who sit back, but one worth taking with our fire power . And you hope the defence deals with it issues

I think against bigger and better teams we will see two holding

Devil may care

Off the ball he struggled with the running from Newcastle but on the ball he kept things ticking over well.

Litch

I think it's a risk when you play against teams who sit back, but one worth taking with our fire power . And you hope the defence deals with it issues

I think against bigger and better teams we will see two holding
Maybe but not the way I think you set out and I think you can get caught out at times. That wasn't a 4-1 game today based on chances created. People might have thought Fred was bad against Wolves, can you imagine that midfield against them?

Sylar

Maybe but not the way I think you set out and I think you can get caught out at times. That wasn't a 4-1 game today based on chances created. People might have thought Fred was bad against Wolves, can you imagine that midfield against them?
I think it depends on the game as I said. At home in games like this, you dont need two holding.

I reckon if all are fit, we would have seen Fred or McT instead of Matic today (still with one anchoring).

Ludens the Red

He was rubbish and a massive liability. Was nowhere to be seen whenever Newcastle had a turnover. Yes his passing in general was fine but his job in the team is to break up play and he never did. I’d whinge at Ole for starting him but I guess with McFred out we had little choice.

Dve

Matic actually had a very good game. Finally we saw the forward passes that we´ve been crying out for. The rating he gets from the fans after this match serves he great injustice, in my opinion. I wonder if some have just has decided he´s rubbish and give him a low score based on that instead of what actually happen in the match.

Dve

He's just too slow to play that position these days. Whenever a team counter attacks us he's completely out of the picture. He doesn't even do the sly tactical fouls that the other CDM's do on the regular.

Yes he knocked it around under pressure fairly well, but in the 2nd half especially the last 30 I lost count the amount of times he gave it away.
93% pass accuracy suggest you haven´t learned to count very far.

SAFMUTD

Players just run past him, he has absolutely no pace. It was kind of sad to see how they just sprinted and he couldn't follow.

We really need a CDM.

LoneStar

He's become very slow to play at the highest level. Still can play a role in some matches when fresh, but it would be suicide to play him and Pogba against top opposition.

Go with Pogba and McT in games where we are expected to dominate. Push Pogba further front and play McT against top 6. Yes, it's not the best solution, but our attack is insane, and has enough creativity to compensate for McFred.

Pronewbie

Peep
Looked rusty and old but may improve if given a run of games. He's a really good option to have if we continue to play a high defensive line like we did today.

Steven-UK

Our worse player by far today.

To think he's in the same team as Ronnie (even at 36) is criminal.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good first-half, poor second-half and faded. Just not up to it anymore sadly, which is kinda mad when you consider he's 33, thought he would age better than he has footballing wise. Shame really, we could use a player like him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Anyone who says he was rubbish are blind and need their eyes checked. He and Pogba were fine today.

Strelok

He was rubbish and a massive liability. Was nowhere to be seen whenever Newcastle had a turnover. Yes his passing in general was fine but his job in the team is to break up play and he never did. I’d whinge at Ole for starting him but I guess with McFred out we had little choice.
I was of the same thought watching the game. Our midfield simply didn't exist whenever Newcastle had a counter. McFred as bad as their positioning sometime they still have legs to chase the ball. We definitely need to buy or loan a good CDM this Jan. Someone can pass and break the play. Look at all the top clubs they have at least a good one. Even some of the average ones have. We don't and that really sucks.

Tbh imo if we play Lindelof there it's probably better. Matic made basically no impact offensively and defensively he's simply a liability in matches like this, where we're supposed to face a considerable number of counters.

chris123

Pogba was essentially a one man midfield trying to break up their counter attacks. I don't think the hate for Matic after this performance is even exaggerated, he was really really poor.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
In the first half i thought to myself he can be useful vs teams that sit deep because hes better with the ball than Fred, but hes really not

Hopefully Fred and McTomminay can stay fit the entire season because this guy wont cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.