Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If he was younger we’d be laughing great first half and then a bit tired in the second

Ludens the Red

I was of the same thought watching the game. Our midfield simply didn't exist whenever Newcastle had a counter. McFred as bad as their positioning sometime they still have legs to chase the ball. We definitely need to buy or loan a good CDM this Jan. Someone can pass and break the play. Look at all the top clubs they have at least a good one. Even some of the average ones have. We don't and that really sucks.

Tbh imo if we play Lindelof there it's probably better. Matic made basically no impact offensively and defensively he's simply a liability in matches like this, where we're supposed to face a considerable number of counters.
Yup, it was just Pogba trying to tackle Saint Maximan a lot of the time on those counters. Genuinely had no idea where Matic was hiding. He doesn’t have the physicality for it really .
We should have got one in last summer but we went and bought van de beek instead:rolleyes:
We’ve not made many stupid transfers recently but feck me that really was one. At this stage id rather see Lindelof there than Matic.

Andersons Dietician

He seemed a far better attacking force or creator than defender today. Took the ball forward well and was firing the ball through the lines. Actually felt like Pogba was kinda sitting more than Matic today.

talking robot

Was decent but also got skint a couple of times in the middle of the park. Even on a relatively good day you could still see he's past it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was okay today. Shame he needs a better partner because he cant keep up the pace.

The Uncle of All Uncles

He got the ball just outside the opposition box today several times in moments where he could have curled in a nice cross with his left but instead he turned around and played it back or sideways. Very annoying! The midfield (Pogba aside) needs to start chipping in with assists.

Litch

Thought he was average but the way we set up, the best CDM in the world would struggle. Its ok like in the first half, when the opposition are in a low block, the passes are relatively easy to feet and all our players are in front of you. What happens then when they counter attacking, Pogs and Bruno can't be seen. Matic didn't have to deal with any pressing or any sustained pressure. When he did, he struggled.

Fred and Scott aren't the answer but they are having to play under a complete different set of circumstances often than Matic and much tougher opposition. As crap as they are, their record against the best opposition in the prem and CL is quite good.

izec

Legs are gone. He wants but cant anymore. We need someone in there. McTominay isnt a DM, not yet anyway, even if people wish so.

theklr

Slow, cumbersome and slows down the play most of the time. Need McT and Fred to get a good understanding with Pogba now, since thats where he’ll play most likely

Brightonian

A better day form-wise but that really only underlines that he's physically past it, because the game moved too fast for him.

Foxbatt

So, I am the only one who thought he had a very good game today?
No I thought he was good in the first half and then in the middle of the second half he struggled but once we got two he got better again. With Pogba and Bruno in midfield anyone would struggle if they have to deal with the pace of Saint Maximin.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
93% pass accuracy suggest you haven´t learned to count very far.
it wasn’t even the passes, he kept falling over the ball or losing control of it.

you can’t honestly say you watched that 2nd half and thought he was good

The United

No I thought he was good in the first half and then in the middle of the second half he struggled but once we got two he got better again. With Pogba and Bruno in midfield anyone would struggle if they have to deal with the pace of Saint Maximin.
Well yeah. That's how I remember. Overall, pretty good for this version of Matic.

Even Kante would struggle in our midfield because we just don't play to control the middle area at all.

Dve

it wasn’t even the passes, he kept falling over the ball or losing control of it.

you can’t honestly say you watched that 2nd half and thought he was good
Kept falling over the ball? He had a couple of bad involvements, but so did Ronaldo, Pogba and Fernandes. Overall, I saw a Matic who controlled the midfield and made precise forward passes up to the front four. He was better first half, but overall he had a good game.

Frankly, it´s a bit typical that when you on beforehand has decided someone is shit, they will be judged by the one bad involvement, and not the 9 good ones.

Strelok

Legs are gone. He wants but cant anymore. We need someone in there. McTominay isnt a DM, not yet anyway, even if people wish so.
Exactly, tbh I felt a bit bad when I have to say bad things about him. He's always a fighter and always work hard. I've always liked him. Problem simply is his legs are gone for this level, and not just now it's been two years.

Ludens the Red

So, I am the only one who thought he had a very good game today?
Evidently not… he had a good game if you focus solely on what he did with the ball. The thing is he’s in there as a defensive midfielder. The key word there being ‘defensive’ and his defensive contributions in that game were absolutely laughable. I actually felt sorry for Paul Pogba from a defensive/tracking back view point. It’s not his strongest area yet he was left to do most of it because Matic basically has no legs.

Sting

He’s no spring chicken but the fact that he plays alongside Pogba who is so defensively undisciplined and clumsy doesn’t help either (I’m not saying Pogba is shite; I know he’s one of the best).

I like how he tries to be progressive with his passes and dribbles here and there. He’s way better than the other DMs we have in that regard. I would play him alongside McTominay for the games against the big boys though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Goes without saying but we need a younger version of Matic. He was great yesterday.

Young Boys 2:1 Man Utd

Sylar

Really needed to come on earlier, eg at 1-0 when you could see the goal was coming. I know he played on the weekend, but you gotta worry about that later, and bring him on right? Cos it seemed like we were doing better when he came on and actually had a midfielder in midfield next to Fred..

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’m pretty sure Matic’s sublime pass right through the lines to play Lingard in for his goal will go under the radar, but it was a pass worthy of praise and acknowledgement.
Shame his legs have gone; his passing really does stand out amongst our central core of midfielders, Pogba accepted.

Sylar

You can see the difference between him and others in midfield

It's incisive passing , just a shame he can only really do cameos

acnumber9

If only he could play more. He’s head and shoulders above the other two as a midfielder.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's using his vast experience to help the team, for that he probably should start more, even despite the obvious stamina issues.

Kag

Say what you want about him and the fact that his legs have gone (and they have), but he’s still a million miles more of a footballer than Fred and McTominay will be ever be.

A 25 year old Matic would be a dream in this team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was awesome, he is so good when he has legs. Good for a half or 30 mins, you can see difference in quality between him and Fred.

littleman

I found it funny because usually Matic is seen as a defensive option, which is not what we needed, and Ole actually brought him on because Matic can play line breaking passes that McT/Fred struggle with.

Came on, playing the line breaking pass to Lingard and we scored..

Pogba can also play line breaking passes but for whatever reason they're almost entirely through the air while Matic's are on the ground.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Took him 2 minutes to play a pass that Fred wouldn't have managed if he'd played for 2 days today.

Abraxas

Huh, he played about 3 minutes didn't he?

A nice little pass but we know he has that, it doesn't convince me overall that he's an option from the start.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Interesting that his role this term may be more of a super-sub playmaker than a defensive midfielder. He’s still got his passing, even if he is hesitant on the ball at times, but defensively, he’s not to be relied upon.

In our squad, he’s probably the best we have at passing sharp and incisively along the deck (when he actually releases the ball), and it may well be a tool we call upon time and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.