5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Ole realized that about magic though basically resorting to never playing him at all.

But yeah your absolutely right prime matic would go a long way to amend our midfield problems, that's why I feel we might as well go looking for a matic archetype in the transfer window
Yeah that's when McFred took over. I think he missed a trick upgrading Matic initially. He only had around a 3 month period where Matic was performing well before he dropped off a cliff, also coincided with Pogba playing well alongside him (which is part of the reason I have been desperate for a top DM to partner Pogba.)

Instead now we want rid of Pogba because he can never be consistent without said top-level DM and we are arguing amongst ourselves over who should start between Scott/Matic when in reality none of them should be. We've taken a massive step backwards not upgrading DM and if you factor in the fact were losing our most expensive ever signing and most talented player as a result of that then it only makes it worse. But I don't want this to become a Pogba debate, just pointing that out as another DM related issue.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah that's when McFred took over. I think he missed a trick upgrading Matic initially. He only had around a 3 month period where Matic was performing well before he dropped off a cliff, also coincided with Pogba playing well alongside him (which is part of the reason I have been desperate for a top DM to partner Pogba.)

Instead now we want rid of Pogba because he can never be consistent without said top-level DM and we are arguing amongst ourselves over who should start between Scott/Matic when in reality none of them should be. We've taken a massive step backwards not upgrading DM and if you factor in the fact were losing our most expensive ever signing and most talented player as a result of that then it only makes it worse. But I don't want this to become a Pogba debate, just pointing that out as another DM related issue.
I feel the club got too fixated on the whole right wing issue as we've wasted an entire transfer window pursuing it while we must have been looking to improve our mid.

I think ole had the right idea going after rice but he seemd to have no alternatives at all so we basically had no idea on how to address the situation, hopefully Ralf changes that.

RUCK4444

I feel the club got too fixated on the whole right wing issue as we've wasted an entire transfer window pursuing it while we must have been looking to improve our mid.

I think ole had the right idea going after rice but he seemd to have no alternatives at all so we basically had no idea on how to address the situation, hopefully Ralf changes that.
Yeah I think RW was the elephant in the room as we had neglected it for so long, but in the grand scheme of things we would have been much better served sorting out the DM.

During the summer I wanted Sancho but along with a DM and said we should be prioritising it. That said top DM's are few and far between, but there are plenty that would have improved what we have right now.

It's a miracle we got to 2nd with McFred to be honest. Once we brought in Ronnie and Sancho we lost what little balance we had as a side last season and it truly highlighted the weakness in midfield.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah I think RW was the elephant in the room as we had neglected it for so long, but in the grand scheme of things we would have been much better served sorting out the DM.

During the summer I wanted Sancho but along with a DM and said we should be prioritising it. That said top DM's are few and far between, but there are plenty that would have improved what we have right now.

It's a miracle we got to 2nd with McFred to be honest. Once we brought in Ronnie and Sancho we lost what little balance we had as a side last season and it truly highlighted the weakness in midfield.
I'm hopeful to be honest, there seems to be a slew of exciting new prospects and options that are coming into their prime, and if we were anything its being financially capable so hopefully with the new long term planning that we seem to be going for , we adress this once and for all adequately enough in the summer

RUCK4444

I'm hopeful to be honest, there seems to be a slew of exciting new prospects and options that are coming into their prime, and if we were anything its being financially capable so hopefully with the new long term planning that we seem to be going for , we adress this once and for all adequately enough in the summer
Yeah I see a lot of people claiming the side needs a total rebuild, I think that's extreme. We have holes in the side we knew we had when Ole was still here, lets address them and weed out the weak players who don't want to transition to a new managers style of play.

I mentioned in previous post today that my fear now is the club will try to play it safe with somebody like Poch rather than commit to a modern style of play under somebody like Ten Hag. We may as well get through the hard time of transitioning to the new style now, this season, when were out of the running anyway. But with this team I think we should let them know the plan with the new manager ASAP and get it in place ASAP because they clearly aren't buying into the temporary manager situation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Horrible performance.

I hate his stupid smug smirk he does whenever he knows he's fecked up.

A massive liability.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The best thing he can do is retire. But I don't think he'll mind picking up his wages while we twiddle our thumbs.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Has been a liability for 2 seasons, yet still gets gametime. We're never good for 90 with him on the field. Ever. And yet, here he is.

Idxomer

If he had been moved on 2 years ago, he would've been retired by now.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When will Rangick figure out Matic can't play the full 90 minutes? How many points will we drop for him to figure it out?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Matic with another performance that makes you wonder if any other club on earth would've extended his contract for as long as we did.

ForeverRed1

He can’t do 90 minutes, 60/70 tops. Why not use matic for 60 and give donny 35 minutes. Doesn’t make one ounce of sense.

El Jefe

Has been a liability for 2 seasons, yet still gets gametime. We're never good for 90 with him on the field. Ever. And yet, here he is.
Exactly and that's why we have no one to blame but ourselves. He's well past it but is our only true DM and that's been the case since we signed him tbh.

RedIan

Did well first half, dead on his feet 2nd, should have been subbed on 60mins. Mistake keeping on With villa running through us too easily,

E-mal

He is not good enough, chased shadows all over of the place.

Irwin99

He's never been a very good player here to be honest. Not a terrible signing but so average.

NZT-One

Was little option but to start him tonight but that is on the recruitment as much as Matic being old and past it.
It is. But surely a manager with the level of imagination that Ralf Rangnick is supposed to have should have still been able to adjust (or react to Villas adjustments) when he saw, that the tyres came off on Matic during the 2nd half. We need more support from the offensive players, I thought Bruno did pretty well in the first half by being available and deeper, Elangas workrate helped as well. Giving Matic so many minutes, regardless of recruitment of nonexistence of alternatives (the transfor window is open, if it is that urgent, RR should do something), definitely put a few dents in my expectations of the new manager. Last games are surrounded by a pretty Ole like vibe, little adjustments or reactions to what happens on the pitch. Where is the proactivity.

Trex

I've always been of the opinion that Matic should be in the MLS, in any of Chelsea, Man city or Liverpool he'll be long gone

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's so painfully obvious he can only play 60 odd minutes. I'm baffled why the staff/manager can't see this.

bugmat

Should have been released 3 years ago not given a new contract. a 34 year old in the body of a 100 year old.

ManU Irish

Unbelievable to think Matic is getting a game for us. Supporting Utd since late seventies and I can’t remember a worse midfield. The question is how is he getting picked? Also he gives an impression he doesn’t care. Phil Jones would do a better job as a CDM and for all the stick he takes at least he cares.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We should have identified him as a problem at the 60 minute mark. His positioning was dreadful towards the end of the game and it cost us.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was good in periods. Once he was on a yellow, he was shit scared. It's diabolical to think our midfield was completely overrun for 2 of the Villa goals.

T_Model101

He can’t do 90 minutes, 60/70 tops. Why not use matic for 60 and give donny 35 minutes. Doesn’t make one ounce of sense.
Exactly
Poor management
He can be a useful player for the youth to learn from.
Tragic that he seems to be the only DM our managers seem to rely on

userman

Matic has started 8 games in the Premier League this year: of those we've won 2 and 3 draws, percentage win-rate of 25%. Average 1,13 points per match.

He's clearly done. How did he get that three-year-deal!?

Sylar

I thought he was done after his first season with us
He then had spells like post lockdown when it was him Pogba and Bruno in midfield

I can't blame him though, it's ridiculous the manager leaves him on when he's getting bypassed like that

united for life

Why not start him instead of scot? A 33 year old can complete a game every now and then i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.