5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

I think he’ll stay in the summer purely due to numbers.

NZT-One

I think he’ll stay in the summer purely due to numbers.
Giving me nightmares already...

New 3 year contract incoming then
"As a senior figure, he tries to help youngsters develop to ensure United’s longterm health"
Well he can do that on a trainer position, if anything I am sure United is able to create a role for him. But get him gone from the playing squad. I'd seriously don't want to see him taking minutes from any potential youngster. If they fail taking their chances - I am fine with it, at least we end up with more knowledge about the youngsters capabilities.

ti vu

New 3 year contract incoming then
He likely stays to fill the squad because I doubt we would receive any good money for him. Releasing him to save his wage is unlikely seeing how this club is too fixated on having asset on their accounting spreadsheet. They ask too much to sell players running down their contract, and even giving out stupid extension.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He should stay. He is the only DM we have and can be a good backup option under right manager. We aren't signing 2 DMs and a Pogba replacement this summer.

Tired of seeing McT trying to pass from deep.

NZT-One

He should stay. He is the only DM we have and can be a good backup option under right manager. We aren't signing 2 DMs and a Pogba replacement this summer.

Tired of seeing McT trying to pass from deep.
I am sure he will stay. He'd be an idiot not to take home the 120k per week we are giving him. The mistake has been done in the past, giving him the contract. I'd be more than happy to have him on the bench to see out matches in the last 20minutes or something. But as starter it is just wasting opportunities. And seeing that we aren't going to challenge anywhere, we should accept that current fate and least make the best of it by experimenting with some younglings and systems.

The whole "only DM" thing also is a double edged sword in my eyes. He isn't a starter anyway so, as long as we don't have a DM, maybe we should experiment with a formation not needing such a thing. There are ways to get it done without it, 3atb, inverted fullbacks, playing full throttle pressing for example. Insisting to play a formation your squad isn't suited for is risky. As long as our only way to create chances seems to be trying to play in behind the defense to hit a runner in behind, it makes the job for McTom and Fred even harder, as they are not particularly great passers. Obviously I don't know for sure but for a long time I feel we aren't really doing a good job matching up the squad and the tactics.
We also don't need to sign 2 DMs and a Pogba replacement, I am sure, currently we are watching Garner and Mejbri closely as they could be integrated into the squad. Obviously, it very well might be too soon for both of them, but if we really value their abilities highly, the club will act differently in recruitment.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Loved it. He did pretty good. Some smart small fouls, good passes. Good role. I would keep playing him

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Every once in a while he shows us how a DM is supposed to play and how we don't have any other DM in the squad. Baffling that people at the club can't see what our weakness areas are.

acnumber9

Did some batshit crazy things when he came on. Like moving and passing the ball to people on his own team. Extra marks for being as big a cnut as they were all night too. I think they call it being professional.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
My MOTM. Smashed them a few times, massively upped the tempo and his passing was precise. Prevented a few counters.

How we did not sign a DM in January is fecking incredible.

Kag

Every once in a while he shows us how a DM is supposed to play and how we don't have any other DM in the squad. Baffling that people at the club can't see what our weakness areas are.
This. Every time. Then he plays from the start, gets blown away due to being nearly dead, and the cycle continues.

Tonight’s debacle of a performance was a terrible reflection of our recruitment in recent seasons.

Dan_F

He’s still good, just can’t play for 90 minutes and will always get exposed in the pace of the Premier League.

Europe is perfect for him. I hope he goes and plays for a decent team for a couple of years, definitely shouldn’t waste the last couple years of his career on the bench.

marktan

They probably know but the recruitment team is having a hard time when they can't look at a young English player and just overspend on that like AWB or Sancho. Probably why Rice is the only name ever linked.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sad part is that this Matic who is slow and old, is our best dmc. Fred is erratic and McT is not football player.
Damn, i really hope that we will buy some top class dmc.

el3mel

Class. His presence on the pitch made us restore control of the midfield. A key for us winning today.

Feels a great to have a midfielder who doesn't lose the ball cheaply or feck up most of his passes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Did some batshit crazy things when he came on. Like moving and passing the ball to people on his own team. Extra marks for being as big a cnut as they were all night too. I think they call it being professional.
Aye it was mental that. He's a feckin' maverick.

ExoduS

Haha, I will vote this comment as best of the month.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We benefited massively by Nemanja coming on at #6, taking the ball to feet and dribbling through pressing players instead of panicking. Its such a shame he isn't half a dozen years younger. Its such a shame United haven't bought anyone to replace him, as he's too long in the teeth.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Nice cameo from the big Serb. Should probably be getting more minutes.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Full credit to him, he was good for that 30 minutes when he came on. The combination of him coming on and actually playing that role properly, and the knock-on effect of Fred pushing into a more advanced role where he can utilise his strengths, made such a huge difference in the last 30 minutes of the match. We instantly looked so much better and more balanced.

Unfortunately Matic only seems to be able to play well for about 30 minutes once every few games these days.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Should play all away European ties. Knows how to play, can move the ball vertically, passing is good, is a complete shithouse and is experienced.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We should use him in midfield 3 against Atletico Madryt second leg. He could do a job with Fred and Pogba.

I know I know, we never play midfield 3.

united for life

He is the only DM at the club and he’s actually a good DM. Age is not helping him but i think we can start him in games like this where it is more tactical. Far better than anyone else in that position.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Really good cameo, turned the game around. Also allows Fred to play higher up on the field, which improves our pressing. Must start in the rematch.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Class. His presence on the pitch made us restore control of the midfield. A key for us winning today.

Feels a great to have a midfielder who doesn't lose the ball cheaply or feck up most of his passes.
He came on when Atletico's tempo had slowed, which suited him perfectly.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Steadied the midfield but hasn't got the legs anymore for lasting 90 mins.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Matic just showed that Glazers and management did a blunder by not getting a DM in January

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Changed the game.

I don't understand why he was dropped when all his mistakes happened on tired legs.

Just play him for 60mins. Do it, Ralf.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Shows how important a press resistant midfielder who can add composure to a team is.

We could've got a younger version of him in Arthur in January, but nope. Milan's Bennacer is probably the most like-for-like player, though.

edcunited1878

Not enough praise for his contribution. Willingness as always to drop deep and split the CBs, while driving forward looking for vertical passes to break lines or play it wide past the halfway line. Atletico didn't get as close to him and backed off just enough. And of course he'll shithouse you back via fouls, kicking the ball away, get a kick in, etc...the dark arts.

His composure on the ball so so key from deeper areas and shields the ball well. He'll always have a loose touch or pass, but compared to Pogba, Fred, and McTominay...he provides assurances at the deepest CM.

SATA

Looked like he came on in a Sunday league game and taught every of them feckers from both sides on how to actually play like a proper midfielder in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.