Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tragically Hip

Changed the game.

I don't understand why he was dropped when all his mistakes happened on tired legs.

Just play him for 60mins. Do it, Ralf.
Agreed. It's nice to have a manager that will make proactive substitutions. I don't understand why footballers think they deserve to play 90 minutes, as if it's an insult to be replaced for fresh legs.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Our closest thing to classic DM and he did drive forward a bit in the 1st half which was awesome.

Easy to forget what an actually good midfield performance looks like until Matic comes out of one his hibernations. A conductor.

See you in two months.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was great. Excellent passing and lots of forward impotus.

We looked worse after he came on

Bobski

He was excellent, and Watford gave him so much space, was like a throw back to his prime.

Strange career Matic, quite a short prime but he was bloody good at his best and shows glimpses here and there of what he was. 25yo Matic in our midfield would go down a treat.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Still our most composed midfielder, now if we can find someone like his profile but 10 years younger it would be awesome
He's the most composed on the ball, but since when being composed on the ball means everything? His inability to play at higher pace - dwelling on the ball for ages and cover the ground ( which today didn't cost us) cost us points. He still had a decent game from the outside look but we desperately lacked tempo in passing and more aggression and could have created all sorts of better opportunities then recycle the ball forever around the box.

Yeah and no one will mention his horrific loss of possession which led to their most dangerous counter, but these kind of things are only mentioned in Fred's or Pogba's threads, of course.

lawliet354

He's the most composed on the ball, but since when being composed on the ball means everything? His inability to play at higher pace - dwelling on the ball for ages and cover the ground ( which today didn't cost us) cost us points. He still had a decent game from the outside look but we desperately lacked tempo in passing and more aggression and could have created all sorts of better opportunities then recycle the ball forever around the box.

Yeah and no one will mention his horrific loss of possession which led to their most dangerous counter, but these kind of things are only mentioned in Fred's or Pogba's threads, of course.
Such a weird fecking rant towards our best midfielder today. Like fred or pogba do anything useful today.

Aggression or tempo is not our problems today, it's the shit finishing. And we looked worse the instant Matic was off

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's actually our best midfielder. Says a lot really.

BorisManUtd

Excellent today. Hope we see him as much as possible until the end of the season.

ClassOf'99

We are desperately in need of a like for like replacement, perfect with 2x 8s ahead of him, we just need an upgrade on one of those 8s.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's actually our best midfielder. Says a lot really.
Only because Watford completely sat off us. Matic tends to struggle once the opposition really press us (which is something that obviously more and more teams are attempting as the years go on). It's probably why he tends to drop back into the defence so much in those games so that he has a bit more time when he gets the ball.

Telsim

MOTM for me. But he was just so finished around the 60’ and should have been subbed earlier. God, if he was just a few years younger… Shows what difference it makes to have quality in that position.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Only because Watford completely sat off us. Matic tends to struggle once the opposition really press us (which is something that obviously more and more teams are attempting as the years go on). It's probably why he tends to drop back into the defence so much in those games so that he has a bit more time when he gets the ball.
On the ball he's still very good, he's very composed and very good in tight areas. Rarely ever panics, his passing often passes the opposition defence. His positioning is exellent too, just a shame he can't do it for a full game and his legs are gone.

We don't have anyone with his ability, that's a major issue for us.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Such a weird fecking rant towards our best midfielder today. Like fred or pogba do anything useful today
Weird rant? I didn't I just thoroughly and pretty fairly evaluated his performance? It's really dumb not to look beyond and see the bigger picture but obviously average football fan IQ prevent that..

Fred did well, kept us in the tempo and created few half chances
Pogba was a bit meh, but played out of position
Matic did fairly well but spent ages on the ball, and one of his actions resulted in their best counter attack, when he lost the ball as last midfielder.

What on earth you don't understand on this assesement? Why do you think we lose points after points against minnow teams, not outscoring them by few like big teams, because we lack the quality and mostly energy in our game, players without pace and aggression can just make us look as dull as ever agains these football units..

G-MUFC

Awful, predictable, takes an age to make a pass.
If we think we can get anywhere near City or Liverpool with Matic in the midfield we need our heads checked.
Unbelievable that people on here think he was good today!

lawliet354

Weird rant? I didn't I just thoroughly and pretty fairly evaluated his performance? It's really dumb not to look beyond and see the bigger picture but obviously average football fan IQ prevent that..
Of course it's about IQ, I must admit I have lower than average IQ so I cannot engage in this discussion any further, my head would explode

TheMitz

Such a weird fecking rant towards our best midfielder today. Like fred or pogba do anything useful today.

Aggression or tempo is not our problems today, it's the shit finishing. And we looked worse the instant Matic was off
Matic was really good today, we miss his composure in the midfield. I don't think he has the legs to last 90 minutes these days

Fred did well, kept us in the tempo and created few half chances
Pogba was a bit meh, but played out of position
Matic did fairly well but spent ages on the ball, and one of his actions resulted in their best counter attack, when he lost the ball as last midfielder.

What on earth you don't understand on this assesement? Why do you think we lose points after points against minnow teams, not outscoring them by few like big teams, because we lack the quality and mostly energy in our game, players without pace and aggression can just make us look as dull as ever agains these football units..
Why is anyone who disagrees with you either dumb or stupid? I take it if someone doesn't agree with you are immediately deemed irrelevant.

You are obviously a Fred fan who feels with him as first choice we can be successful, well that's your opinion. Other people may not agree with you, doesn't make them stupid.

lawliet354

Matic was really good today, we miss his composure in the midfield. I don't think he has the legs to last 90 minutes these days
True, and some games just does not fit him, but Watford is perfect opposition, he showed his quality today. Don't think he'll do as well against City or Liverpool or other high pressing teams

Ekeke

Our 2nd best passer in midfield after Pogba. In the first half especially his expansive passing was like having Carrick back

Zlatanator

On his day, he is a Rolls Royce. In some instances, It seems like he's being intercepted but he somehow keeps away from danger, he's got that 360 vision that others lack in the current MF. His presence of mind makes up for his lack of pace.

MattofManchester

He was great, I think. He pulls defenders towards him and frees up space for others when he makes the pass. Something we never see out of McFred.

Shows all the importance of having a competent DM.
Shocking that we've ignored the role for so long.

Varane around town

The best thing about this weekend for United.

Not Matic himself, we all know that Matic is washed now, but it was a glimpse into the team we could be next season if we get in a younger version of Matic.

I know that all depends on United bringing in the right player which is one hell of a gamble.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Normally he can only play 30-45 minutes of good football, but Watford troubled us so little he managed about 60 minutes today. Still completely ran out of legs around then though. Good performance up until that point.
He's had 60 in him for quite a while now. Only after 60mins did he start making the mistakes that led to him being benched in his last run of games.

CM10

He was our best player against Watford. It's partly why I wouldn't mind us spending the money on Rice in the summer now. Having a midfielder of that profile who can play every week without breaking down would make such a material difference to the way this team operates.

Shame none of the forwards could put the ball in the net.

tjb

Our 2nd best passer in midfield after Pogba. In the first half especially his expansive passing was like having Carrick back
I don't actually think his passing is what made us look better. I think its a combination of two things.

a. In possession - his willingness to provide an option for our defenders to pass to allowed us to get the ball up the pitch much easier. He consistently moved into the right spaces to receive the ball, which meant that we didn't need hollywood balls or touches to get the ball up the pitch.

b. Out of possession - His positioning in the opposition half meant that we couldn't be easily sliced open in the middle. This also made it difficult for Watford to progress the ball when we lost possession, as they would need to hit the ball at a longer distance to their forwards. This is something all the top teams have, that we don't have. This is what Hassenhuttl was talking about in his post match press conference. Fred and Mctominay do a lot of running, but their positioning and anticipation of both in the attacking half and defensive half are terrible. This usually makes it difficult for us to sustain good periods of play and makes it easy to counter us when we do lose the ball.

Matic doesn't have the legs to play well week in week out, but his performance showed the basics of what we need in our midfielders. Players who can recieve the ball, are not terrible at progressing it and can anticipate and place themselves in positions that make it difficult for the opposition to play through the middle. It would shock United fans to know this, but if we simply added Henderson into our midfield, we would look a whole lot better every week. These are the basics anyone playing in central midfield in England should have, since games are still won on second ball which means anticipation and positioning are still the key to winning a midfield battle. None of Pogba, Mctominay, VDB, Herrera, Fred or Fellaini have had these abilities.

Ekeke

I don't actually think his passing is what made us look better. I think its a combination of two things.

a. In possession - his willingness to provide an option for our defenders to pass to allowed us to get the ball up the pitch much easier. He consistently moved into the right spaces to receive the ball, which meant that we didn't need hollywood balls or touches to get the ball up the pitch.

b. Out of possession - His positioning in the opposition half meant that we couldn't be easily sliced open in the middle. This also made it difficult for Watford to progress the ball when we lost possession, as they would need to hit the ball at a longer distance to their forwards. This is something all the top teams have, that we don't have. This is what Hassenhuttl was talking about in his post match press conference. Fred and Mctominay do a lot of running, but their positioning and anticipation of both in the attacking half and defensive half are terrible. This usually makes it difficult for us to sustain good periods of play and makes it easy to counter us when we do lose the ball.

Matic doesn't have the legs to play well week in week out, but his performance showed the basics of what we need in our midfielders. Players who can recieve the ball, are not terrible at progressing it and can anticipate and place themselves in positions that make it difficult for the opposition to play through the middle. It would shock United fans to know this, but if we simply added Henderson into our midfield, we would look a whole lot better every week. These are the basics anyone playing in central midfield in England should have, since games are still won on second ball which means anticipation and positioning are still the key to winning a midfield battle. None of Pogba, Mctominay, VDB, Herrera, Fred or Fellaini have had these abilities.
His passing was great. He received the ball and would move it a large distance switching it to the other side where there was loads of space making the opponents run over to cover it. Then whenever he would get the ball again he would do it again and again finding our players in space to move forward

Rossa

Matic is a good runner with the ball. He knows when to drive with it and when to release it
He really is! His passing, anticipation and positioning are all great, but the timing of his runs through the middle are also great. He’s not slow when up to speed either, but his acceleration, especially without the ball, is quite poor. If there is much distance between him and our CBs that can be a huge concern.

Belisarius

He's had 60 in him for quite a while now. Only after 60mins did he start making the mistakes that led to him being benched in his last run of games.
Agree with this. His play was really good in the first half and for the first part of the second. But, it was easy to see when he began to tire. Taking an extra touch or two to control the ball. Passes becoming inaccurate. Little mistakes. I think it was a mistake for Ralf to take Fred off instead of Matic. I understand that Matic is the better CDM but tired legs make for poor play.

While I think he's played well in the last 2 games I hope he doesn't start against City. I think his lack of speed might really hurt us against them. Could see him coming on for the last 25 minutes though if the game is still close.

Status
Not open for further replies.