5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Plays with urgency and pride when he comes on. Kept trying to drive us forward.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Normally I completely understand picking McTominay ahead of him. Matic has proven over the last two seasons that he can't play regularly anymore, as he's quickly dead on his feet when we try to.

However he'd had a couple of good games, then an international break which he didn't play in, and we've now got a week until our next match. Today was the perfect situation for him to play.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wish we can buy 24y old Matic. Maybe little quicker. Guy shows every game how dm must play. Shame really that he is basically finished

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Very good cameo. He's still our smartest and most press-resistant midfielder & you can also see his leadership skills in action, played like a true captain. It's a shame that his legs are gone.

MattofManchester

Should be starting. His constant squad omissions have been baffling, when we don't have a single natural DM.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I’d gone off him for the last few years but he’s been consistently proactive for us. Should be playing more regularly.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I’d gone off him for the last few years but he’s been consistently proactive for us. Should be playing more regularly.
Agree totally.
The main problem with Matic, for me, is that he very often doesn't track a midfield player when they break into our box, but when he has an opposing midfield player in front of him, then he can do a job there.
I don't think he is particularly a DM, but he certainly has much more about him defensively than both Mctominay and Fred, albeit that covering the back four is not his main asset.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The difference when he plays to when Scott plays in that DM role is night and day. Matic always demands the ball, always makes himself available, always wants to control the midfield. Scott on the other hand..

Everton 1:0 Man Utd

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Everyone goes on about how much we could do with a younger Matic, no chance, he's been fecking useless since he joined. Fraud of the highest order.

Bobski

Everyone goes on about how much we could do with a younger Matic, no chance, he's been fecking useless since he joined. Fraud of the highest order.
Chelsea dumped him because his legs were gone, he has about 20 mins in him, this why MCT has started all season.

Sylar

He's shown in moments he can be good and is the best player weve had in that deeper position since Carrick
His legs are an issue and we saw that at Chelsea. We signed him though and yeah, he can't do it time and time again which is what you need for that position
Consistency.

It's part of the teams spine and we don't have it at all

mjstokes85

Is it just me or does anybody else think Matic's face constantly looks like hes about to burst out laughing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bit random but was watching this and my god if that Daniel Agger movement at 24 seconds is not the most Matic thing I've ever seen. In fact the whole running style reminds me of him.

Bwuk

Be a tad surprised if he did go.

Assuming we play a 3 man midfield, as it stands we’d be left with Bruno, Fred & McTominay.

Garner/Hannibal might get promoted, and VdB might return (although it’s not really worked for him at Everton).

We’d need to sign 2 midfielders.

Corey

Bit random but was watching this and my god if that Daniel Agger movement at 24 seconds is not the most Matic thing I've ever seen. In fact the whole running style reminds me of him.

Spot on!

Dolf

Haha it really really is.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Should have been gone in 2018 tbh. He’s been finished since Mourinho’s second season. Been on semi retirement since then.

tomaldinho1

Farewell. A decent player with a good attitude and who can actually play DM but we never had him at his peak - another similar story of our transfer dealing over the last years.

SAFMUTD

Too slow for a Ten Hag's team, I imagine VdB is going to have a more important role under Ten Hag's and we'll bring at least one midfielder so not much to worry about Matic leaving.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Seems like quite a modest pro but he cant sustain his stamina in the PL nowadays.
He looks gassed within 30 mins ,which is a shame because he usually performs like our best midfielder.

Foxbatt

He is our best midfielder and it says a lot about the others. The only one who can pick a pass.

He is our best midfielder and it says a lot about the others. The only one who can pick a pass.
Absolutely. But feels like the right thing to do regardless, gets gassed too quickly these days, usually due to our shit head team giving our DM too much to do but obviously his legs can't really handle 90 mins week in week out any longer.

With he and Pogba leaving and Ten Hag coming in, it really feels like a good time for this new start. Excited by it.

JeffFromHK

He doesn't have the ability to be a top midfielder but at least he got the right mentality any of our other players don't have (like Pogba, Lingard, Rashford and Co.)
1. Stay professional and never whine or complain when he got little playing time
2. Showed urgency when we are behind

Man Utd 3:2 Norwich

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So bad, despite many calling for him. 85th minute, we're up a single goal and having to desperately scan the screen to see where the heck our DMF is as Norwich counter - he's up field jogging back, about 20 yards ahead of play.

He wants to be an attacking central mid, and is just doing what he wants. Offers no solidity whatsoever.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So bad, despite many calling for him. 85th minute, we're up a single goal and having to desperately scan the screen to see where the heck our DMF is as Norwich counter - he's up field jogging back, about 20 yards ahead of play.

He wants to be an attacking central mid, and is just doing what he wants. Offers no solidity whatsoever.
That was a bad moment. But other than that he was fairly good when he came on, made us a bit more solid through the middle.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've said this for years. He's not a good dm, he's a good dlp in possession and, defensively, can't be our deepest midfielder unlike in possession where he's been our best cm at progressing the ball from deep.

It goes way back to the Herrera days. Herrera was fantastic defensively, whilst Matic produced elegant ball progression from deep. Problem is we didn't have anyone as good defensively as Herrera after he left to give the likes of Matic and Pogba the platform to do their thing in possession without the defensive side weighing them down.

RedIan

Should have been on from the start. Our best available midfield option and he was on the bench. Did well when he came on. Shame he’s well past his prime. Needs replacing in summer but I rate him as footballer highly.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Garner is more a CMF isn't he? Wouldn't really say he's a defensive midfielder. Still think that's our number 1 priority in the market, as it has been for, I dunno, 16 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.