Television Netflix’s [He-Man] Masters of the Universe: Revelation

JohnZSmith27

I walked in expecting something different, wasn't too happy after the first episode as it did seem as though it was doing things just to "mix it up" and be appealing to a different audience to the original.

It was a decent watch for the couple hours it killed and I'd watch more quite happily. Don't know if I missed the marketing or whatever but it just wasn't what anyone who watched it as a kid would expect.

Also the females in this are all built like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I didn't see any of the marketing myself either. I might give it a go seeing as it's only a few episodes.

choccy77

Watched the first 2 so far.

Episode 1 was interesting, but don't understand why the person in question couldn't have got the thing themselves using magic, instead of that long drawn out process.

Teela is on steroids :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Watched the first 2 so far.

Episode 1 was interesting, but don't understand why the person in question couldn't have got the thing themselves using magic, instead of that long drawn out process.

Teela is on steroids :lol:
I understand the first point, all shows were like this when we were kids and we never over thought things, they try to make everything make too much sense in kids shows these days.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
90% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes, 30% audience score.

Anything that provokes that sort of review bombing can only be doing good.

evil_geko

Bombing is basically because of Kevin Smith lying to people when he said that the series will not be Teela focused when the rumors came out, which is obviously a lie now that I watched it.

The series itself is ok, nothing special, I did want more He-Man heavy series as I loved the 80s MotU series. Maybe the second part will be better, hope so but doubt it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is the Last Jedi version of He-Man. Taking a classic IP and crapping all over it.
Kevin Smith did to He-Man what Rian Johnson did to Luke Skywalker. I am sad Mark Hamill was in this.
Terrible, disgusting what they have done with the lore and actual fans. I'm not consuming any more products coming from this and not allow my kids to do so. My family and friends agree this is a pure bs so i hope the critics would put food on your plates, because we will Not.
Completely ruined my childhood memories, thanks a lot politically correct media!
Missing He-man... This is sad... The critics were paid for good reviews. DO NOT BOTHER
An obvious cash grab by that troll Kevin Smith. This isn't He Man. This is NOTHING like the original. Pathetic. I had the toys and the bedding and even curtains. You destroyed something that was great.
What they did to He-Man reminds me of the scene in Fight Club where Edward Norton mangles Jared Letos face and says he just wanted to destroy something beautiful.
I'm tired of this political bs biases, can't we have just HE-Man?
Can we please stop doing this crap. Stop trying to destroy everything just for the sake of some horse crap girl power nonsense. It hasn't worked anywhere it has been tried. What a waste of energy.
How dare you! Why of all things in this world you chose to desecrate such a name! All we wanted was a metal show about He-Man beating up, bad guys! Not THIS! We didn't ask for She-Maam! STOP! JUST STOP! Stop changing the races, stop changing the genders, and STOP RUINING WELL WRITTEN, GREAT CHARACTERS! Make your own bullshit!

The anger is delicious.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

The anger is delicious.
Yeah, but the butt feck love-ins for it are ridiculous and for the exact opposite reason, not that it's a great show but "it's so amazing to have a powerful female lead blah blah blah" ...

It's probably like a 6.5/10 show overall for anyone who can't be arsed with either side of that social justice warrior bullshit fight.

Hoof the ball

90% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes, 30% audience score.

Anything that provokes that sort of review bombing can only be doing good.
I usually find the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Critics usually score very high on things that try to do things different, whether or not it's really any good at all.
Audience usually scores very low on things that don't do things similar enough, even if it's well written.

But we know this isn't the first time that there's been a massive disparity between critic scores and audience scores; it's happening more and more. I know this much, from review insiders, that quite a few reviewers must give X amount of favourable reviews from certain studios in order to benefit from perks and early review copies, etc, in the future; and if they don't give them then their access to them is restricted, and that is bad for anyone genuinely looking out for impartial reviews.

There's as much over-rating of critic scores as there is under-rating of movies/shows due to review bombing. That's how a disparity like that exists. There's no way this show is truly a 90%.

decorativeed

Getting review bombed apparently. Most critics giving it decent reviews but the user reviews slated it even before it came out.
Yep. I was looking at the comments on IGN's review of it on YouTube. All crying about how it's 'gone woke' because they give some focus to the female characters for the first time in ~200 episodes over almost 40 years. Grown men whining that they don't get to watch an orange-skinned cartoon muscle-man ride around on a green tiger in his furry underpants.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Critics usually score very high on things that try to do things different, whether or not it's really any good at all.
Audience usually scores very low on things that don't do things similar enough, even if it's well written.

But we know this isn't the first time that there's been a massive disparity between critic scores and audience scores; it's happening more and more. I know this much, from review insiders, that quite a few reviewers must give X amount of favourable reviews from certain studios in order to benefit from perks and early review copies, etc, in the future.

There's as much over-rating of critic scores as there is under-rating of movies/shows due to review bombing. That's how a disparity like that exists. There's no way this show is truly a 90%.
Nice post, I wrote something similar and deleted it because I couldn't be bothered with an argument.

Critic score things higher as you say if it deviates from the norm, they're scared of getting shit from the public over a bad review and accused of sexism etc. It's their living, whereas users can write a truthful review as it doesn't matter to their career.

I'm definitely with you that the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Critic reviews are a bit iffy in general, it's like movies are their passion so for a casual movie watcher the critical reviews mean jack shit. Joe bloggs isn't overly concerned with camera angles, lighting effects or subtle things critics tend to absolutely bum.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yep. I was looking at the comments on IGN's review of it on YouTube. All crying about how it's 'gone woke' because they give some focus to the female characters for the fist time in ~200 episodes over almost 40 years. Grown men whining that they don't get to watch an orange-skinned cartoon muscle-man ride around on a green tiger in his furry underpants.
Wasn't there uproar the thing on his chest wasn't a cross anymore too? His character design is massively cringe, old design, new design, it's terrible :lol: like some weird BDSM stuff.

decorativeed

Bombing is basically because of Kevin Smith lying to people when he said that the series will not be Teela focused when the rumors came out, which is obviously a lie now that I watched it.

The series itself is ok, nothing special, I did want more He-Man heavy series as I loved the 80s MotU series. Maybe the second part will be better, hope so but doubt it.
What was he supposed to do though? Say, "yeah, you're spot-on, actually"? Plus it is only half of the story. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. It's the only time they've bothered with trying to tell a proper story over the course of a series with these characters rather than a different, incredibly badly written one every episode, as per the 80s show.

Hoof the ball

Nice post, I wrote something similar and deleted it because I couldn't be bothered with an argument.

Critic score things higher as you say if it deviates from the norm, they're scared of getting shit from the public over a bad review and accused of sexism etc. It's their living, whereas users can write a truthful review as it doesn't matter to their career.

I'm definitely with you that the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Critic reviews are a bit iffy in general, it's like movies are their passion so for a casual movie watcher the critical reviews mean jack shit. Joe bloggs isn't overly concerned with camera angles, lighting effects or subtle things critics tend to absolutely bum.
It's just daft. There's no realistic criteria for critic reviews these days. If 90% holds for for He-Man then it probably makes the top 100, ahead of some of the genuinely all-time classics.

The standards for high marks are so off, especially when you look at the top 100 and see how many of them are from the last 5 years or so. It's clearly evidence of a shift into critics bloating up scores across the board. You've got cheap ass movies with a little bit of nuance scoring higher than half of Kubrick's works, I mean ffs.

decorativeed

.. STOP RUINING WELL WRITTEN, GREAT CHARACTERS!

Ha, what ?
Exactly. They originated as toys with a four page comic strip in the box that was generally horse shit. They were then adapted into a simplistic one-dimensional cartoon series produced purely to advertise those toys, and that stands up to zero scrutiny when you watch it back now, unless you're under 5. The whole thing has been kept alive by the power of nostalgia alone.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'd have preferred skelwtors story tbh, see it from his side and make he man and co out to be the baddies.

decorativeed

But we know this isn't the first time that there's been a massive disparity between critic scores and audience scores; it's happening more and more. I know this much, from review insiders, that quite a few reviewers must give X amount of favourable reviews from certain studios in order to benefit from perks and early review copies, etc, in the future; and if they don't give them then their access to them is restricted, and that is bad for anyone genuinely looking out for impartial reviews.

Well the truth is also that the RT scoring is an incredible simplification of a multitude of much more nuanced reviews. 9 places giving it 3/5 and one place giving it 4/10 stars could be interpreted as moderately well received or average. On RT, that's interpreted as an almost unanimously positive reception.

evil_geko

What was he supposed to do though? Say, "yeah, you're spot-on, actually"? Plus it is only half of the story. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. It's the only time they've bothered with trying to tell a proper story over the course of a series with these characters rather than a different, incredibly badly written one every episode, as per the 80s show.
Maybe not say anything or say "wait and you shall see" or thousand other things other than the "don't worry, He-Man is the main focus of the show". And after that, there was a trailer that was pretty misleading that was pandering to He-Man fans. I don't care to hate on this show, but Kevin Smith was lying and misleading, simple as that.

decorativeed

Maybe not say anything or say "wait and you shall see" or thousand other things other than the "don't worry, He-Man is the main focus of the show". And after that, there was a trailer that was pretty misleading that was pandering to He-Man fans. I don't care to hate on this show, but Kevin Smith was lying and misleading, simple as that.
He did say that people were reacting to only the first half of the story, and nobody had seen anything from the second half yet.

And his response was: "He-Man does no stepping aside and Teela has no girlfriend in our show.” Seems like semantics to me in terms of how you interpret the first part of that, and the second bit is correct.

Last edited:

Adamsk7

I actually feel sorry for Kevin here. The He-Man fans have decided to cancel him based on the fact that he’s NOT recreating exactly something that, let’s face it, wasn’t exactly a storytelling masterpiece to start with. So what if Teela is the main character? If it’s a great story then who cares? None of these “fans” have even given it a chance. I saw that one of the things they keep spouting is that Kevin said he’s been watching MOTU since ‘81 and yet it came out in ‘83…..I mean literally anyone can make a mistake on dates. If He- man was in every scene, they wouldn’t care about that but now it’s become a nail to hammer in to him.
the second half could be entirely He-man and then what then? They’ll all have to eat humble pie.
personally I think considering the whole show was based on characters that were literally picked at random to make toys for boys and the show itself was pretty much as throw away as it gets (and I watched it avidly as a child!) they should be bloody happy that it’s getting a reboot at such a place as Netflix with Powerhouse providing their usual brilliant animation. It’s probably more than it deserves.
I’m gonna give it a watch - loved Castlevania and I’ve liked some of Smith’s work.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yep. I was looking at the comments on IGN's review of it on YouTube. All crying about how it's 'gone woke' because they give some focus to the female characters for the first time in ~200 episodes over almost 40 years. Grown men whining that they don't get to watch an orange-skinned cartoon muscle-man ride around on a green tiger in his furry underpants.
They put He Man front and centre for all of the advertisement and then did that in the very first fecking episode. Why wouldn’t MOTU fans be pissed?

decorativeed

I actually didn't think much of some of the animation. The odd bits that were clearly CGI and of a completely different texture to the rest of the animation bugged me.

decorativeed

They put He Man front and centre for all of the advertisement and then did that in the very first fecking episode. Why wouldn’t MOTU fans be pissed?
The very first description of the series was this:

"A radical return to Eternia, REVELATION is a direct sequel series to the classic era of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE. Featuring fan favorites He-Man, Orko, Cringer, and Man-At-Arms, the story pits our heroic warriors and guardians of Castle Grayskull against Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man and the vile legions of Snake Mountain!

It added, “But after a ferocious final battle forever fractures Eternia, it’s up to Teela to solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to prevent the end of the Universe! Her journey will uncover the secrets of Grayskull at last. This is the epic He-Man and the Masters of the Universe saga fans have waited 35 years to see!”

In May, back when the trailer came out, the description made it even more obvious what the focus was:

“After a cataclysmic battle between He-Man and Skeletor, Eternia is fractured and the Guardians of Grayskull are scattered. And after decades of secrets tore them apart, it’s up to Teela to reunite the broken band of heroes, and solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to restore Eternia and prevent the end of the universe.”

They released 20 images, of which He-Man was in about a quarter of them and he was hardly in the trailer either.

What were these people expecting? It's not like it's even called "He-Man" any more.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He did say that people were reacting to only the first half of the story, and nobody had seen anything from the second half yet.

And his response was: "He-Man does no stepping aside and Teela has no girlfriend in our show.” Seems like semantics to me in terms of how you interpret the first part of that, and the second bit is correct.
He also said it was "all about He-Man". Which is vague enough to mean anything. For example you could rightly argue that the first JJ Abrams Star Wars film was all about Luke Skywalker even though he was barely in it.

Besides, people involved in things lie all the time to try and keep surprises intact, because you can only ever give so many vague responses to direct questions without the lack of clarity giving things away. The Marvel films and Game of Thrones being prime examples, where those involved regularly tell direct lies to avoid spoilers. It isn't an issue unless you're the sort of man-child who is going to throw a tantrum because a story didn't turn out the way you expected.

decorativeed

Agreed.

Anyway, He Man is probably the most boring of the characters in the show. As a kid I loved the bad guys, and I remember my friends felt the same. If people are feeling short changed, it should be because of Skeletor, who's always been the real star of the show.

caid

Does anyone think he man fans would give a shit if the new character was a guy? I'm kind of sceptical they're actually serious fans (being a he man fan is too laughable to be real), i'm guessing they watched it as a kid and its a convenient excuse to whine about evil women taking their toys

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Don't really care about the review bombing crowd here. It was a good 5 episodes and an unexpected ending to boot. Teela's motivations are weak and overplayed at best and roll eye at worst. I was more interested in Evil-Lyn as her character seems to have more nuance to it. It was short and crisp, but a couple more episodes would have been nicer and made this well rounded.

Not sure what audience this caters to. It's not really adult material, but the "heroism" for kids is totally missing to. Hopefully we see more of a hero Teela going forward.

7/10 series for me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The anger is delicious.
This is a good read.

It’s possible the original Masters of the Universe was a post-feminist reassertion of masculine power, an attempt to turn the boys of the Eighties into hunky men of action. But I don’t think they thought that much about it, to be honest. I think it was largely just a way to sell plastic junk to those famously credulous idiots, children. And thus a lot of the original viewers of the show are now middle-aged cranks who collect toy dolls and get angry on Twitter when children’s cartoons are remade in ways they don’t like. You know, just like the tough warrior menfolk of yore. Currently, for example, some online fans of the original Masters of the Universe cartoon are angry that the redesigned female characters’ costumes aren’t sexy enough for them. Yes, critiquing a children’s cartoon by revealing you’re having problems masturbating to it is most definitely a win for traditional masculinity.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No, its aimed at 30 + year olds who are still mentally 8.
;)

But anyway I go back to my earlier view:
There's something uncomfortable about seeing old children fantasy cartoons re-imagined for a older demographic.

choccy77

Did anyone watch the aftershow show they put out?

Was actually better than the first 5 episodes.

Was great seeing the original Skelator on it and he voiced another character as a tribute to his legacy.

Smith though is one really weird guy. The way he looks at people is unnerving and looks really fake.

stevoc

Watched it last weekend, wasn't bad. Made sense to sideline He-Man as I imagine he's a difficult character to base a decent story around. Teela's character didn't really make sense though she came across as a bit of a twat to be honest.

They said this is a sequel to the original but does anyone even know how the 80's cartoon ended?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Watched it last weekend, wasn't bad. Made sense to sideline He-Man as I imagine he's a difficult character to base a decent story around. Teela's character didn't really make sense though she came across as a bit of a twat to be honest.

They said this is a sequel to the original but does anyone even know how the 80's cartoon ended?
I think it just ended ?
Like most shows back then like Ghostbusters ,TMNT. Don't think there was a emphasis on finales.

choccy77

I know at one stage Teela found out about her Mum etc but I think her memory was wiped afterwards. Might not have been the end though.

stevoc

I think it just ended ?
Like most shows back then like Ghostbusters ,TMNT. Don't think there was a emphasis on finales.
Yeah probably but I doubt many would even remember if there had been a proper ending. Plus it was the 80's so channels probably didn't even air the episodes in the right order.

stevoc

I know at one stage Teela found out about her Mum etc but I think her memory was wiped afterwards. Might not have been the end though.
Was that the 80's cartoon though? I watched a newer he-man cartoon about 15-20 years ago where Teelas mum was the Woman with the bird costume.