Television Netflix announces 3 new Dave Chappelle comedy specials

atkar83

If a joke is funny and not low hanging fruit, no matter how outrageous (be it slightly racist/misogynist/sexist/etc), no one really cares. I've heard way worse stuff over the years from Bill Burr, Patrice O'Neil, Norm Macdonald, Tom Segura, etc. etc. than what Chapelle said, and no one complained at any significant level.

But when you're making racist jokes for the sake of being racist (look at clip below from Steven Crowder, the cringiest 'jokes' you'll ever hear) people don't find it funny and more often than not other venues will not take you on, or shows take you on as writers/actors/etc but he'll act like he's being cancelled because of his jokes.

I'm not saying Chappelle was outright hating on trans people like Crowder does with his racist jokes, but if Chappelle made an actual joke as opposed to being preachy in regards to one trans friend he knew, I don't think anyone is talking about this right now. But I also feel like talking about 'cancel culture' drives publicity, and any publicity including bad is good for business (Netflix). He's been touring a lot with Joe Rogan lately, I wonder if its rubbing off on him, because all Joe talks about on JRE anymore is the left cancelling everything.

Halftrack

He stepped down because he didn't have time to prepare and do it correctly. was he being homophobic or making a joke? He made a joke and the community ignored the joke and came after him. The joke about him smashing the dolls house over his sons head, implies he bought his gay son a dolls house in the first place! He even gave the disclaimer before telling the joke so It was clearly a joke but the LGBTQ+ community (only a few of them) decided to take it serious and it was a complete overreaction and achieved nothing. It makes some communities seem humorless
Eh? It's not like it was the one joke that he totally said was a joke before he did it (I don't think he did), he had a history of making wildly homophobic jokes. The joke about the doll house specifically was about catching his son playing with his daughter's doll house. There was no implication that he'd bought his son a doll house. In his first special, he talked about how, despite not being a homophobe, his biggest fear was that his son would grow up being gay. He then talked about how, at some birthday party or something, some other boy had been "grinding" on his son, and he ran over and knocked them both down. He's later tried to claim it was actually about his own insecurities, and the funny part was supposed to be how he overreacted, but I've seen that bit several times, and I just don't see it. The punchline of the joke is that these to kids were doing gay stuff. If there was a deeper meaning to it, he did an awful job conveying it. And given his history of homophobic jokes, I'm not inclined to believe him.

His gay jokes had one thing in common, and that is that the punchline was always "ew gay haha"

stepic

Eh? It's not like it was the one joke that he totally said was a joke before he did it (I don't think he did), he had a history of making wildly homophobic jokes. The joke about the doll house specifically was about catching his son playing with his daughter's doll house. There was no implication that he'd bought his son a doll house. In his first special, he talked about how, despite not being a homophobe, his biggest fear was that his son would grow up being gay. He then talked about how, at some birthday party or something, some other boy had been "grinding" on his son, and he ran over and knocked them both down. He's later tried to claim it was actually about his own insecurities, and the funny part was supposed to be how he overreacted, but I've seen that bit several times, and I just don't see it. The punchline of the joke is that these to kids were doing gay stuff. If there was a deeper meaning to it, he did an awful job conveying it. And given his history of homophobic jokes, I'm not inclined to believe him.

His gay jokes had one thing in common, and that is that the punchline was always "ew gay haha"
i started watching the early dave chappell show stuff and yeah, there's tons of homophobia in there.

Roane

If you think a successful white comedian could get away with racist humour simply because of their experience with black people, having grown up in a black neighbourhood or having black friends then you’re living on another planet.
Have a listen to ralphie May (rip).

I found some of his stuff hilarious.

Also post 9/11 a lot of comedians were what I would call racist towards Arabs but it was always taken as humour.

Likes of Jimmy Carr do stuff about lesbians which is worse imo in some cases than the LGBTQ stuff but I think that's take for what it is more often than not.

Halftrack

i started watching the early dave chappell show stuff and yeah, there's tons of homophobia in there.
We were talking about Kevin Hart, but yeah, Chappelle's cracked his share of homophobic jokes as well.

Stacks

The ew gay stuff is super childish playground humour. I wouldn't take it seriously if I were you. He didn't actually attack his son. He was playing a role. It's like when people say "ew that's gay" no one takes that serious. Or when they say "no homo" after a sentence. I doubt these people go out of their way to harm gay people or even have an issue with their own personal choices and are happy living side by side. Try not to take them too literal. I remember George Lopez made a joke saying "there's still two rules in Latino families. Don't marry somebody black and don't park in front of our house". He ain't get cancelled and was even defended by Sheryl Underwood. Try not to take comedians seriously

cyberman

The ew gay stuff is super childish playground humour. I wouldn't take it seriously if I were you. He didn't actually attack his son. He was playing a role. It's like when people say "ew that's gay" no one takes that serious. Or when they say "no homo" after a sentence. I doubt these people go out of their way to harm gay people or even have an issue with their own personal choices and are happy living side by side. Try not to take them too literal. I remember George Lopez made a joke saying "there's still two rules in Latino families. Don't marry somebody black and don't park in front of our house". He ain't get cancelled and was even defended by Sheryl Underwood. Try not to take comedians seriously
Surely It’s easy to say don’t take it seriously if it isn’t you being pilloried in stage with the very jokes that dickheads in real life say to your face?
Comedy needs to move on with the rest of society, which it is doing to be fair to the industry

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Very weak post. No responsibility at all seems to lie with those who say something insulting. Apparently it’s all the fault of those being insulted. They should have known the people insulting them are just people insulting them and not some of the other people insulting them, who might also be violent or discriminatory towards them. How stupid of the humourless gays, to not understand this obvious distinction.

Homosexuality and all other forms of queerness aren’t personal choices, by the way.

Classical Mechanic

Likes of Jimmy Carr do stuff about lesbians which is worse imo in some cases than the LGBTQ stuff but I think that's take for what it is more often than not.
Jimmy Carr had a joke back in the noughties 'the male gypsy moth can smell the female gypsy moth from a distance of 3 miles, the same applies if you remove the word moth'.

I doubt he'd try it today though.

Roane

Jimmy Carr had a joke back in the noughties 'the male gypsy moth can smell the female gypsy moth from a distance of 3 miles, the same applies if you remove the word moth'.

I doubt he'd try it today though.
You may be right that he won't try it today. However there may be multiple reasons for that. Not simply because it causes offence. Jimmy pretty much tries to push boundaries.

A lot of the good comedians try and keep their comedy relevant to issues of the day. Or even target the audience they have. Jimmy does that too. So him asking a lesbian couple what it would take to get them back on solids wouldn't work if there was no lesbian couple in the crowd.

As I said earlier I like stand up comedy. I watch and listen to a lot if it from around the world. Lots of comedians tend to stick to a certain pattern but aren't as successful for long periods. Imo the ones that stick around tend to use issues of the day in their routines. So currently the prince Andrew type jokes appear a lot, for example.

I can't remember if jimmys joke was in any way relevant in the noughties to the headlines around the traveller community or shows like my Gypsy wedding, for example. If it was then maybe his current routine would be around strictly or something similar relevant today?

Stacks

Very weak post. No responsibility at all seems to lie with those who say something insulting. Apparently it’s all the fault of those being insulted. They should have known the people insulting them are just people insulting them and not some of the other people insulting them, who might also be violent or discriminatory towards them. How stupid of the humourless gays, to not understand this obvious distinction.

Homosexuality and all other forms of queerness aren’t personal choices, by the way.
We are talking about jokes not violence. Jokes are generally piss takes and allowed to be so. We all take the piss out of each other especially when friendly with someone. If you saw most watsapp groups........ You are not suppose to go into a comedy material and take it literal or with a serious mindset, even if its insulting or offensive. I don't get what's so hard to understand? At the very least comedians are afforded this freedom otherwise what's the point in them even doing comedy if people are going to overreact to their material?

Halftrack

"It's just a joke" and "it shouldn't be taken seriously" are piss-weak defenses. It'd be one thing if they were actually pushing boundries or being subversive, or if they were lampooning these views, exaggerating them to highlight how ridiculous they are. Instead we get unoriginal jokes, delivered without any kind of nuance or subtext, causing offence for the sake of it. No boundries are being pushed either. How can they be, when what they're serving up is the same bigotry these groups face on the daily, repackaged as a "joke"? There's no substance to it, it just "let's laugh at the senisitive freaks!" It's pure malice.

And on the topic of whether you should take comedians seriously; that's very much up for debate. Fact is, though, someone like Chappelle does social commentary, they say stuff they intend to be taken seriously, even if they dress it up and relay it in a jocular manner. And as Chappelle is very well aware, there are idiots out there that don't get that he's not being serious, or take away the wrong lessons from jokes with a more serious basis. Just looking around the intetnet will tell you that an absolutely staggering amount of people took his jokes as an endorsement of their views, and are attacking the trans community in order to defend him. That's on him.

Stacks

"It's just a joke" and "it shouldn't be taken seriously" are piss-weak defenses. It'd be one thing if they were actually pushing boundries or being subversive, or if they were lampooning these views, exaggerating them to highlight how ridiculous they are. Instead we get unoriginal jokes, delivered without any kind of nuance or subtext, causing offence for the sake of it. No boundries are being pushed either. How can they be, when what they're serving up is the same bigotry these groups face on the daily, repackaged as a "joke"? There's no substance to it, it just "let's laugh at the senisitive freaks!" It's pure malice.

And on the topic of whether you should take comedians seriously; that's very much up for debate. Fact is, though, someone like Chappelle does social commentary, they say stuff they intend to be taken seriously, even if they dress it up and relay it in a jocular manner. And as Chappelle is very well aware, there are idiots out there that don't get that he's not being serious, or take away the wrong lessons from jokes with a more serious basis. Just looking around the intetnet will tell you that an absolutely staggering amount of people took his jokes as an endorsement of their views, and are attacking the trans community in order to defend him. That's on him.
I am inclined to agree regarding Chapelle. I see Kevin Hart as just a silly midget and even when he is chilling with celebs (the only times he is funny) he just comes across as silly and I can't imagine anything he says being taken seriously. Chapelle though does lean into social commentary so i am curious as to what exactly he said about trans people that you felt was abusive or incited abuse?

Roane

Would you say it's different for comedians/commentators who use religion?

It seems to me that comedians have always used "jokes" to piush their own views. Many have become more commentators than comedians as their careers have progressed.

It also seems of the topic is one people agree with them they tend to "defend" the comedians right to say it.

I've mentioned on here before about post 9/11. Some of the comedians I watch went in with a vitriol on certain sections of the community. But it was post 9/11 so there was no uproar on their "racism".

You are getting mixed up between the target of the joke and the subject of it. You can only be legitimately offended if you are the target of the joke, I'm afraid it is your fault if you can't distinguish the two.

Gazautd18

Love Dave.
Think he's the GOAT.
Just didn't find this one all that funny.
Someone earlier mentioned he came off all preachy and it was more social commentary which I agree with.
There were some gems in there though.
Was not shocked or offended but I'm also not gay or transgender.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You are getting mixed up between the target of the joke and the subject of it. You can only be legitimately offended if you are the target of the joke, I'm afraid it is your fault if you can't distinguish the two.
Sort of odd that when the lgbtqia+ community says they find the stuff offensive they're told that he didn't say anything offensive though.

Sort of odd that when the lgbtqia+ community says they find the stuff offensive they're told that he didn't say anything offensive though.
But why? People can't just arbitrarily decide they're offended by something. It has to be justified and that's what's missing here.

Classical Mechanic

You may be right that he won't try it today. However there may be multiple reasons for that. Not simply because it causes offence. Jimmy pretty much tries to push boundaries.

A lot of the good comedians try and keep their comedy relevant to issues of the day. Or even target the audience they have. Jimmy does that too. So him asking a lesbian couple what it would take to get them back on solids wouldn't work if there was no lesbian couple in the crowd.

As I said earlier I like stand up comedy. I watch and listen to a lot if it from around the world. Lots of comedians tend to stick to a certain pattern but aren't as successful for long periods. Imo the ones that stick around tend to use issues of the day in their routines. So currently the prince Andrew type jokes appear a lot, for example.

I can't remember if jimmys joke was in any way relevant in the noughties to the headlines around the traveller community or shows like my Gypsy wedding, for example. If it was then maybe his current routine would be around strictly or something similar relevant today?
I think it's a simple case that in those days the gypsy community were seen as fair game because of widespread societal predjudice against them. It was after that the gypsy community started to gain some cultural power in the UK with things like My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and Tyson Fury becoming a leading sports figure. Before that there was little voice for the gypsy community in mainstream British society.

sebsheep

But why? People can't just arbitrarily decide they're offended by something. It has to be justified and that's what's missing here.
You don't think trans-people are justified in being offended by him using stereotypes very often used in transphobic abuse to make fun of them, saying he's on team TERF (who seem to actually be recognised as a hate group) and insinuating that they as a community were involved in the death of his friend?

You don't think trans-people are justified in being offended by him using stereotypes very often used in transphobic abuse to make fun of them, saying he's on team TERF (who seem to actually be recognised as a hate group) and insinuating that they as a community were involved in the death of his friend?
That's what I'm saying, they think they're the target of these joke when they're not. That's their own problem to fix not the rest of the world's.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Forget it. You’re arguing with someone who seems to be of the opinion comedy is just telling some stupid jokes into a vacuum without any meanings or consequences at all. Obviously without realising that he himself is devaluing the work of the people he tries to support on here.
The stance in itself is incredibly dumb.Comedy is art and subject to criticism. Like all art, it can be fun, sad, hurtful, political, hateful and even racist. Trying to argue that it’s just some jokes nobody should taking seriously, is like claiming movies are just entertainment and shouldn’t be taken seriously. Music is just some noise not to be taken seriously.
It’s the about the worst stance one could back themselves into while discussing any form of art, really. Just proving to everyone else that you’re not to be taken seriously.

Halftrack

That's what I'm saying, they think they're the target of these joke when they're not. That's their own problem to fix not the rest of the world's.
So who, then, are the targets of the transphobic and homophobic jokes?

arnie_ni

I thiught it was funny.

I'll never understand people taking offence to comedians but I appreciate I'm not I'm a minority group.

sebsheep

So are you saying the target of the joke was someone else or just nobody at all?

sebsheep

Forget it. You’re arguing with someone who seems to be of the opinion comedy is just telling some stupid jokes into a vacuum without any meanings or consequences at all. Obviously without realising that he himself is devaluing the work of the people he tries to support on here.
The stance in itself is incredibly dumb.Comedy is art and subject to criticism. Like all art, it can be fun, sad, hurtful, political, hateful and even racist. Trying to argue that it’s just some jokes nobody should taking seriously, is like claiming movies are just entertainment and shouldn’t be taken seriously. Music is just some noise not to be taken seriously.
It’s the about the worst stance one could back themselves into while discussing any form of art, really. Just proving to everyone else that you’re not to be taken seriously.
I am getting that sort of impression, yeah.

So who, then, are the targets of the transphobic and homophobic jokes?
Nobody is, that's the point you are missing. They're jokes about the taboo and hypocrisy around the movement, not about trans people themselves.

Sweet Square

Nobody is, that's the point you are missing. They're jokes about the taboo and hypocrisy around the movement, not about trans people themselves.
One of Chapelle jokes in his latest special ''I am not saying that to say that trans women aren't women, I'm just saying that those pussies they've got.........you l know what I mean.''

Devastating critique of the trans movement.

Withnail

Well that was pretty terrible. I only got about 15 mins in. The jokes dried up pretty quickly and when the weird homophobia/misogyny took over and that was enough for me to turn it off.

I didn't even get as far as the trans stuff.

Stacks

Movies are just that though. Has a movie ever influenced you day to day life?

arnie_ni

Watched the older couple. Didn't think they were anywhere near as funny as the closer. Will go and watch his show now and see how I find it.

sebsheep

Went ahead and watched some Hannah Gadsby after Dave Chapelle's recommendation. Thought she was actually pretty decent, the last 10-15 minutes of Nanette was a difficult watch though as she went into some of her own traumatic experiences.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Went to watch him in London a couple of weeks ago. Will always be the GOAT for me. Love the man.