Television Netflix announces 3 new Dave Chappelle comedy specials

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
that. . .

ain’t this. . .

He started the show asking how Da Baby can kill a black man then go on a meteoric raise yet he say something & get cancelled, that’s a fair question. Both are wrong but one is accepted. He then goes on to say he’s actually jealous of the movement. It’s art so we’re all free to take different viewpoints but what I get from it is, why are his [& his fellow comedians] words punished with people losing their jobs [‘taking their lives’ or something] where people’s actions go unpunished.

There’s an argument about why comedians try to pedestal the art form so they can spew ‘hate speech’ behind the veil of humour but I didn’t hear an apology, if anything I heard a guy on his last special fighting with the idea his words have repercussions, not ‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’.

The punching down on my people line is poignant, just as Chappelle a black man has questionable views on ‘the alphabet people’, there are members of that community that don’t particularly say nice things about other minorities.

[I wrote more but it goes off topic, he’s definitely screaming ‘woe is me’ but if your mind went to, ‘I’m black so I can say what I want’ then I think there’s a preconception about about a black man speaking their mind at play].
The bold is a false premise though, because he hasn't been cancelled in any meaningful way. He's an insanely popular, acclaimed and successful comedian making a fortune with these supposedly cancel-worthy spiels as he sells them to an audience who laps them up. Just like the likes of Bill Burr and Rick Gervais at the top level and thousands of comedians below them, all the way down to hacks at open mic nights coming up with the same dull but "edgy" shtick. They talk about being cancelled even while being handed opportunities for talking about being cancelled.

Their entire viewpoint is based on a dynamic where people who want to cancel them have huge power and the poor comedians are under attack and have to stand up for themselves. But that power dynamic doesn't exist in the real world. What's actually happening is the trans community (excluded, marginalised and mistreated as they are across countless areas of life) are asking privileged rich comedians like Chappelle to stop punching down at them over and over again, even as said privileged rich comedians make a living doing just that as part of the establishment voice. Comedians aren't victims.

AFC NimbleThumb

The bold is a false premise though, because he hasn't been cancelled in any meaningful way. He's an insanely popular, acclaimed and successful comedian making a fortune with these supposedly cancel-worthy spiels as he sells them to an audience who laps them up. Just like the likes of Bill Burr and Rick Gervais at the top level and thousands of comedians below them, all the way down to hacks at open mic nights coming up with the same dull but "edgy" shtick. They talk about being cancelled even while being handed opportunities for talking about being cancelled.

Their entire viewpoint is based on a dynamic where people who want to cancel them have huge power and the poor comedians are under attack and have to stand up for themselves. But that power dynamic doesn't exist in the real world. What's actually happening is the trans community (excluded, marginalised and mistreated as they are across countless areas of life) are asking privileged rich comedians like Chappelle to stop punching down at them over and over again, even as said privileged rich comedians make a living doing just that as part of the establishment voice. Comedians aren't victims.
Da Baby killing a man & becoming a world famous rapper isn’t a false premise, it’s his story. He’s lost multiple endorsements & been removed from festivals [rightly so, he should have lost more]. That said it’s not for you nor I to pocket watch & tell him it isn’t ‘meaningful’. The guys a bigot, I’m not going to be positioned as defending him.

With that said, your post is an elaboration on. . .
There’s an argument about why comedians try to pedestal the art form so they can spew ‘hate speech’ behind the veil of humour
Looks like you agree mostly. . .

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Da Baby killing a man & becoming a world famous rapper isn’t a false premise, it’s his story. He’s lost multiple endorsements & been removed from festivals [rightly so, he should have lost more]. That said it’s not for you nor I to pocket watch & tell him it isn’t ‘meaningful’. The guys a bigot, I’m not going to be positioned as defending him.

With that said, your post is an elaboration on. . .

Looks like you agree mostly. . .
I thought the news story said he has cleared of any wrongdoing as it was self defence. Just in the American way...

AFC NimbleThumb

I thought the news story said he has cleared of any wrongdoing as it was self defence. Just in the American way...
This is the same man that slapped a female fan.

You’re correct it was ruled self defence. Personally I heard of him due to his antics like above, he’s had multiple interactions with the public & the story he’d shot someone. He was hardly someone people should be championing before.

I’m not blameless here, I checked out his music based off of the stories so that’s a moral question for me to answer but the homophobic outburst isn’t particularly surprising, doesn’t make it right but he’s been indulged.

sebsheep

This is the same man that slapped a female fan.

You’re correct it was ruled self defence. Personally I heard of him due to his antics like above, he’s had multiple interactions with the public & the story he’d shot someone. He was hardly someone people should be championing before.

I’m not blameless here, I checked out his music based off of the stories so that’s a moral question for me to answer but the homophobic outburst isn’t particularly surprising, doesn’t make it right but he’s been indulged.
Think I saw him ruin a Dua Lipa song first. Didn't even know about the other stuff.
He didn't really get cancelled after his recent comments either, it just seems to be something people say after receiving back last other daft things they've done/said.

Stacks

Kevin Hart is the only one that was dropped from hosting the oscars. Oh and Sarah Silverman ran into some shit. Ricky Gervais admitted that in real life most people are reasonable its just on Twitter they seem like lunatics. I agree these comedians are profiting heavily despite calls for them to be "cancelled". tht said no one is punching down on anyone. They are simply making jokes as they always do but everyone seems to think certain groups deserve exception from jokes which is just silly. I don't believe everyone in the community are humorless. Many can take a joke. Just a vocal minority on Twitter.

Halftrack

Kevin Hart is the only one that was dropped from hosting the oscars. Oh and Sarah Silverman ran into some shit. Ricky Gervais admitted that in real life most people are reasonable its just on Twitter they seem like lunatics. I agree these comedians are profiting heavily despite calls for them to be "cancelled". tht said no one is punching down on anyone. They are simply making jokes as they always do but everyone seems to think certain groups deserve exception from jokes which is just silly. I don't believe everyone in the community are humorless. Many can take a joke. Just a vocal minority on Twitter.
If your joke is echoing abuse a group of people face on the daily, it's not really a joke anymore, is it?

And they're definitely punching down.

sebsheep

Didn't Hart decide against hosting it? Don't think he was cancelled.

AFC NimbleThumb

Think I saw him ruin a Dua Lipa song first. Didn't even know about the other stuff.
He didn't really get cancelled after his recent comments either, it just seems to be something people say after receiving back last other daft things they've done/said.
I don’t really know what cancelling is but you’re the 2nd person to make this point when I’m not arguing he has been. I was responding to an assertion that DC was saying, ‘I’m black so I can say what I want’, which I don’t believe he did.
Didn't Hart decide against hosting it? Don't think he was cancelled.
He refused to apology a third time for comments he made years ago & felt he’d addressed publicly twice.

sebsheep

I don’t really know what cancelling is but you’re the 2nd person to make this point when I’m not arguing he has been. I was responding to an assertion that DC was saying, ‘I’m black so I can say what I want’, which I don’t believe he did.

He refused to apology a third time for comments he made years ago & felt he’d addressed publicly twice.
I'm not arguing against you on the Dave Chappelle bit, I don't think I've seen enough of his stuff to say much about that. I just thought that the Da Baby shooting someone bit was slightly out of context from the reporting I had seen of it. The cancelled bit was from what you said Chappelle had said in his show.

Yeah, Hart refused to apologise and stepped down. I'm pretty sure that he did end up giving another apology after that anyway.

cyberman

that. . .

ain’t this. . .

He started the show asking how Da Baby can kill a black man then go on a meteoric raise yet he say something & get cancelled, that’s a fair question. Both are wrong but one is accepted. He then goes on to say he’s actually jealous of the movement. It’s art so we’re all free to take different viewpoints but what I get from it is, why are his [& his fellow comedians] words punished with people losing their jobs [‘taking their lives’ or something] where people’s actions go unpunished.

There’s an argument about why comedians try to pedestal the art form so they can spew ‘hate speech’ behind the veil of humour but I didn’t hear an apology, if anything I heard a guy on his last special fighting with the idea his words have repercussions, not ‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’.

The punching down on my people line is poignant, just as Chappelle a black man has questionable views on ‘the alphabet people’, there are members of that community that don’t particularly say nice things about other minorities.

[I wrote more but it goes off topic, he’s definitely screaming ‘woe is me’ but if your mind went to, ‘I’m black so I can say what I want’ then I think there’s a preconception about about a black man speaking their mind at play].
How does that quote not back up my point? He’s trying to argue that he and his people are in the same boat that allows him to tell his transgender jokes. That’s ignoring the fact that transgender people can be black as well. Does that mean they’re not his people?
He even says this

we look at the gay community and we go … ‘Look how well that movement is going. Look how well you are doing. And we’ve been trapped in this predicament for hundreds of years. How … are you making that kind of progress?’ I can’t help but feel like if slaves had baby oil and booty shorts, we might have been free a hundred years sooner.”

Again framing his set around that it’s Chappelle and his people that’s really sinned against.
I like Dave as a comedian but the cult around him that treats his set as some sort of mystical truth teller that allows him to come out with such garbage is mind boggling. Add to that If you flat out agree with J.K. Rowling then you’re a dickhead. Then it’s the misrepresentation of Da Baby who’s case was ruled as self defence. Why would he be cancelled in that case? Because a black man attacked him?
Dave deserves every bit of this backlash because he was plainly asking for it

AFC NimbleThumb

I'm not arguing against you on the Dave Chappelle bit, I don't think I've seen enough of his stuff to say much about that. I just thought that the Da Baby shooting someone bit was slightly out of context from the reporting I had seen of it. The cancelled bit was from what you said Chappelle had said in his show.
Tbf I was unsure on the exact details of the shooting, I just know he’s talked about ‘catching a body’ in his raps & he actually had.

I like DC but it’s difficult in an hour stand up to give enough context & nuance to the line he attempted to draw.
Yeah, Hart refused to apologise and stepped down. I'm pretty sure that he did end up giving another apology after that anyway.
The fact he constantly addresses not apologising by clarifying he has already apologised & what for, is pretty much that so yea he’s definitely walked those cups moments back multiple times.

AFC NimbleThumb

How does that quote not back up my point? He’s trying to argue that he and his people are in the same boat that allows him to tell his transgender jokes. That’s ignoring the fact that transgender people can be black as well. Does that mean they’re not his people?
He even says this

we look at the gay community and we go … ‘Look how well that movement is going. Look how well you are doing. And we’ve been trapped in this predicament for hundreds of years. How … are you making that kind of progress?’ I can’t help but feel like if slaves had baby oil and booty shorts, we might have been free a hundred years sooner.”

Again framing his set around that it’s Chappelle and his people that’s really sinned against.
I like Dave as a comedian but the cult around him that treats his set as some sort of mystical truth teller that allows him to come out with such garbage is mind boggling. Add to that If you flat out agree with J.K. Rowling then you’re a dickhead. Then it’s the misrepresentation of Da Baby who’s case was ruled as self defence. Why would he be cancelled in that case? Because a black man attacked him?
Dave deserves every bit of this backlash because he was plainly asking for it
Woah woah now. Who said he shouldn’t face critique/‘backlash’? Let’s stay on topic, you said he was inferring, ‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’, that’s a leap.

You can keep posting parts of skits that you feel support your unsubstantiated comment but why aren’t you highlighting the parts in his shows where he says he’s ‘jealous’ of how well the movement has progressed [I’ve gone back to watch the specials again, I watched the first yesterday & he mentions it there], he’s called the swell of support ‘impressive’. We can both pick out lines & frame them to support wherever it is you now want this to go but that’s not what I took umbrage with.

As for your last paragraph that goes off somewhere else again, have I not already stated. . .
There’s an argument about why comedians try to pedestal the art form so they can spew ‘hate speech’ behind the veil of humour
So who thinks he’s a ‘mystical truth teller that allows him to come out with such garbage’, must be another poster.

‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’ is a hefty statement to make, he certainly isn’t asking for acceptance in those specials. We can agree to disagree as he’s never explicitly said either way but if from that you don’t understand how ridiculous ‘I’m black so I can say whatever the hell I want [about a majority white minority, in America of all places]’ is then we should leave it here as I’m not defending J.K. Rowling or even saying DC was particularly ‘good’ in that special.

NotThatSoph

I don't get what people are disagreeing about. He says loud and clearly he's a terf, why pretend he isn't? Of course if we want to get technical he isn't a terf, because he isn't a radical feminist. He's just trans exclusionary.

cyberman

Woah woah now. Who said he shouldn’t face critique/‘backlash’? Let’s stay on topic, you said he was inferring, ‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’, that’s a leap.

You can keep posting parts of skits that you feel support your unsubstantiated comment but why aren’t you highlighting the parts in his shows where he says he’s ‘jealous’ of how well the movement has progressed [I’ve gone back to watch the specials again, I watched the first yesterday & he mentions it there], he’s called the swell of support ‘impressive’. We can both pick out lines & frame them to support wherever it is you now want this to go but that’s not what I took umbrage with.

As for your last paragraph that goes off somewhere else again, have I not already stated. . .

So who thinks he’s a ‘mystical truth teller that allows him to come out with such garbage’, must be another poster.

‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’ is a hefty statement to make, he certainly isn’t asking for acceptance in those specials. We can agree to disagree as he’s never explicitly said either way but if from that you don’t understand how ridiculous ‘I’m black so I can say whatever the hell I want [about a majority white minority, in America of all places]’ is then we should leave it here as I’m not defending J.K. Rowling or even saying DC was particularly ‘good’ in that special.
I honestly can’t see what you’re arguing about here. In prior specials he has directly told victims of sexual abuse and the me too movement to man up. How does he edge his way out of that? I’ll just add another quote from a review

here again he contrasts 21st-century social justice struggles with anti-racism, and finds them “weak” by comparison.

then there’s the constant conparisons of Rachel Dolezal to trans who was a white woman pretending to be.. you guessed right. Black.

He continually crosses the same road to make these jokes seem acceptable.

Jokes like telling us that being born Trans is funny if it isn’t happening to you stands on it’s own. I don’t care how he dresses it up.

OleBoiii

The most annoying part about all this is that once his popularity drops, right-wingers(and possibly Dave himself) will blame it on those goddamn woke SJW snowflakes who killed comedy!

In reality it's just that Dave isn't nearly as funny as he used to be.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Even when he was actually good, you could always tell he’d end up like this.

NotThatSoph

Yep, a white comedian dying is the best thing that happened in DCs career. . .

The Closer was meh but wow.
No, Bill Hicks getting cancer was the best thing for Bill Hicks's legacy, it didn't have much impact on Chappelle. It's very on point for a Chappelle thread to be confused by pronouns, though, I'll give you that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Definitely the weakest of his Netflix stuff. The trans stuff doesn't bother me as far as jokes go (pick on everyone and everything, I don't care. If it's funny, it's funny. If it's not, it's not) but he spent so fecking long on trans stuff in this. It must've been about 80% of the act. Felt lazy.

AFC NimbleThumb

I honestly can’t see what you’re arguing about here. In prior specials he has directly told victims of sexual abuse and the me too movement to man up. How does he edge his way out of that? I’ll just add another quote from a review
Once again, this is him saying ‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’ how?

What the feck has the Me Too movement got to do with this, stay on topic.

The reason you can’t see the point is cause you keep trying to move away from it. No one is arguing with you, you made a rather strong statement that you’re not actually able to make. . . stand up.

He’s not above criticism, he spoke about punching down in his special & that’s exactly what he’s doing to Trans people & others.
here again he contrasts 21st-century social justice struggles with anti-racism, and finds them “weak” by comparison.

then there’s the constant conparisons of Rachel Dolezal to trans who was a white woman pretending to be.. you guessed right. Black.

He continually crosses the same road to make these jokes seem acceptable.

Jokes like telling us that being born Trans is funny if it isn’t happening to you stands on it’s own. I don’t care how he dresses it up.
Yes, he revisits the same topics. All the points you’re making are about a black man, making jokes about other groups contrasting them with his own experiences. That in itself isn’t him saying ‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’, that was/is the point. You can keep adding more criticism of his comedy as a whole, that’s justified but it’s not what we’re talking about.

‘You can’t say nothing cause I’m black and we had it worse’, is a ridiculous take.

AFC NimbleThumb

No, Bill Hicks getting cancer was the best thing for Bill Hicks's legacy, it didn't have much impact on Chappelle. It's very on point for a Chappelle thread to be confused by pronouns, though, I'll give you that.
I get you now, sorry.

Sweet Square

The youtube comments on that video are amazing

Dave is truly a master at his craft! This is the kind of comedy we need, shit that’s funny and provokes thought.
Dude I didn't even saw that coming it was so fecking good
Man, I heard woketivists calling this special lazy and I was a bit anxious going into this because I did think a few of his jokes in the last specials were a bit lazy; but this was honestly his best special yet. Truly great.
Keep fighting Dave Chapelle
Dave mic drop in this special will go into history in bringing empathy and humor (laughing at ourselves) back to our culture
This show is gonna put the entire GenZ in therapy

sebsheep

The youtube comments on that video are amazing
After about 15 minutes he'd done the Da Baby bit, used racist attacks against Asian people (the mention of which got a few laughs from the audience) to make a poor joke about his body fighting covid and beaten up a lesbian. Not exactly legendary comedy tbh.

Sweet Square

I'm convinced the best thing Bill Hicks did for his legacy was getting cancer.
:lol:

Very true. I remember Hicks complaining about the branding of orange juice late in his career. He would have been unbearable now.

After about 15 minutes he'd done the Da Baby bit, used racist attacks against Asian people (the mention of which got a few laughs from the audience) to make a poor joke about his body fighting covid and beaten up a lesbian. Not exactly legendary comedy tbh.
Yeah a lot of it is just really unfunny and boring. Rich famous guy complaining to a massive audience about how some people don't like his comedy for an hour.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This has really turned me off stand up shows and specials in the last 3-4 years.
Yeah, the vast majority of the recent shows by the big established names (inc. Chappelle) have been really mediocre…
Rich dudes with nothing particularly new or interesting to say, playing to a crowd more than happy to kiss their arse for largely the same material about how modern culture is beneath them. Just really fecking boring shit.

And yeah, Hicks would’ve been fecking awful in the age of mainstream conspiracy lunacy.

Stacks

I don't get what people are disagreeing about. He says loud and clearly he's a terf, why pretend he isn't? Of course if we want to get technical he isn't a terf, because he isn't a radical feminist. He's just trans exclusionary.
that is true.
The most annoying part about all this is that once his popularity drops, right-wingers(and possibly Dave himself) will blame it on those goddamn woke SJW snowflakes who killed comedy!

In reality it's just that Dave isn't nearly as funny as he used to be.
He still sells a lot of shows everywhere he goes and gets paid as much as ever. I don't know how you came to that conclusion when evidently he is as popular as ever which would indicate his comedy is hitting. He won Grammys for his last special. It's not about comments on a forum, its about how much business sense he makes and he still makes sense in his field. He appears very popular amongst the black community too. I was watching Canada Today and the white girl was trying her best to condemn him and looked pissed saying things like "you just can't speak on the LGBTQ community whatsoever imo" where as the black lady seemed attempting to defend his comedic freedom despite her normally taking the liberal stance on things. He is like the Richard Prior, Eddie Murphy types and there will always be a space for them whether it's your thing or not. His story telling is on point.
Yeah, the vast majority of the recent shows by the big established names (inc. Chappelle) have been really mediocre…
Rich dudes with nothing particularly new or interesting to say, playing to a crowd more than happy to kiss their arse for largely the same material about how modern culture is beneath them. Just really fecking boring shit.

And yeah, Hicks would’ve been fecking awful in the age of mainstream conspiracy lunacy.
Their financial position has nothing to do with anything. If Eddie Murphy was rich whilst doing his stand up he would still be funny no? Dave is one of the best story tellers around. that's what I listen for. the story telling element and delivery. He does have me squirming sometimes though.

OleBoiii

He still sells a lot of shows everywhere he goes and gets paid as much as ever. I don't know how you came to that conclusion when evidently he is as popular as ever which would indicate his comedy is hitting.
I was thinking more about his general reputation. His ticket sales and revenue will probably not take a hit. He has built up too much credit for that.

Chappelle used to be untouchable. Hardly anyone had a bad word to say about his standup comedy. Criticizing Chappelle as a standup comedian was as dangerous as criticizing TV shows like The Wire and Sopranos. People would genuinely shake their heads and claim that your opinion is wrong. He was more or less universally liked by anyone who's into standup comedy(and even those who weren't).

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but I don't think I've heard a single person claim that Chappelle is as good as he used to be. Not even among some pretty big Chappelle fans. It's always "I still like him but he's not as good as he used to be" or "he's not really funny anymore". And it has nothing to do with being woke. Personally, I believe that you can joke about pretty much anything as long as your jokes are funny. But Chappelle's new material isn't, imo.