Television Netflix announces 3 new Dave Chappelle comedy specials

Dante

Average bang
Finished watching. I thought it was really funny. And nowhere near as transphobic as is being made out.

There was only one bit that was questionable, but it was quite obviously only a setup to a punchline about 'beyond pussy or impossible pussy'. Relatively tame when compared to other stuff he's said over the years.

For the most part, the show was about how Chappelle is an ally. I'm not sure why people are taking it any other way.

Halftrack

Finished watching. I thought it was really funny. And nowhere near as transphobic as is being made out.

There was only one bit that was questionable, but it was quite obviously only a setup to a punchline about 'beyond pussy or impossible pussy'. Relatively tame when compared to other stuff he's said over the years.

For the most part, the show was about how Chappelle is an ally. I'm not sure why people are taking it any other way.
Thing is, it's up to the community in question to decide whether or not you're an ally. And right now, neither trans folk, nor the wider LGBQT+ community, seem to consider Chapelle as such. Hence he's not an ally.

NotThatSoph

Thing is, it's up to the community in question to decide whether or not you're an ally. And right now, neither trans folk, nor the wider LGBQT+ community, seem to consider Chapelle as such. Hence he's not an ally.
And if we were to listen to anyone else, he says loud and clear that he isn't an ally. He's team terf, it's perfectly clear, he said so himself. I don't get this urge some people seem to have to run defence for people who don't want or need it. He's not an ally to trans people, he never has been, he has never pretended to be. Some people who like him would prefer that he was, because otherwise he would be a piece of shit, but it is the way it is.

Dante

Average bang
And if we were to listen to anyone else, he says loud and clear that he isn't an ally. He's team terf, it's perfectly clear, he said so himself. I don't get this urge some people seem to have to run defence for people who don't want or need it. He's not an ally to trans people, he never has been, he has never pretended to be. Some people who like him would prefer that he was, because otherwise he would be a piece of shit, but it is the way it is.
Have you watched the special?

Stacks

Watching one of his shows on Netflix. 15 minutes in and it's all about fat shaming. It's like these guys can't write something funny which isn't about mocking political correctness. Stuff that got stale ages ago.
That was one I watched at the royal albert hall, he opened about white women moaning, sex robots, how he and his black wife argue over what TV is appropriate (she finds things racist and he doesn't get it), cultural appropriation, 1st ladies doing arena tours and writing books,

It makes sense that they would mock PC culture since comedians pretty much say what they want and are generally offensive so if there is a section of society that is super sensitive and into censorship then of course they will go at it as it directly affects them and their comedic freedoms. its an annoyance to them and so many comedians feel the same. I saw Trevor Noah a few weeks ago in London and he was waaay more offensive than he is on his show. He seemed like a normal cheeky comedian.

Stacks

A vocal minority who don't speak for the whole community. Fast forward to 6:25 and you'll see a different opinion. He also speaks of the trans comedian he gave an opportunity to open for him (a big deal)

Dante

Average bang
He ends his special with the following:
LBGTQ, L-M-N-O-P-Q-Y-Z, it is over. I'm not telling another joke about you until we are both sure, that we are laughing together. I'm telling you this is done. I'm done talking about it. All I ask from your community, with all humility will you please stop punching down on my people?

Moby

Dick
That was one I watched at the royal albert hall, he opened about white women moaning, sex robots, how he and his black wife argue over what TV is appropriate (she finds things racist and he doesn't get it), cultural appropriation, 1st ladies doing arena tours and writing books,

It makes sense that they would mock PC culture since comedians pretty much say what they want and are generally offensive so if there is a section of society that is super sensitive and into censorship then of course they will go at it as it directly affects them and their comedic freedoms. its an annoyance to them and so many comedians feel the same. I saw Trevor Noah a few weeks ago in London and he was waaay more offensive than he is on his show. He seemed like a normal cheeky comedian.
Yeah ok. They are annoyed. I'm not watching his show to know what he's annoyed about. I'm watching it for something that's actually funny.

NotThatSoph

What makes someone a TERF? Holding any of the following opinions would make someone a terf.
- Male sex offenders shouldn't be in women's prisons
- Male athletes shouldn't be competing in women's sports
- Lesbians who don't want to sleep with transwomen shouldn't be ostracised from their own community and shouldn't be labelled "transphobic".

With that in mind, it's not hard to see why he's ironically labelled himself "team terf".
"Pretending" is a bit offensive, no? I believe the word you're looking for is identifies.
You're such a shit troll.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
A couple of hm moments. Not one haha moment. Nothing wrong with it, just not very funny

Halftrack

It's funny (read: maddening) seeing predominantly cis men (a very safe assumption, I feel) telling trans women what they can and can't be offended by.
A vocal minority who don't speak for the whole community. Fast forward to 6:25 and you'll see a different opinion. He also speaks of the trans comedian he gave an opportunity to open for him (a big deal)

Don't really think you're in a position to, with such certainty, state that we're a vocal minority.

The same trans comedian whose suicide he tried to blame the trans community for? Despite his own fans hurling vile, transphobic abuse at her?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I usually make the effort to watch any really high profile examples of transphobic stand up as I find it useful to be up to speed but you're all making this one sound so unbearably dull that I'm failing to convince myself to be arsed so far.

From what I've seen of him previously he doesn't seem to hate transpeople but he finds them inherently ridiculous. I seem to recall him saying exactly those sentiments probably in his last special. I think he also knows his specials are not remotely his best work and he needs a way of driving media interest in them without having to rely on critics thinking they're as funny as his older stuff. Mocking trans people is a very easy way for him to do that.

NotThatSoph

I usually make the effort to watch any really high profile examples of transphobic stand up as I find it useful to be up to speed but you're all making this one sound so unbearably dull that I'm failing to convince myself to be arsed so far.

From what I've seen of him previously he doesn't seem to hate transpeople but he finds them inherently ridiculous. I seem to recall him saying exactly those sentiments probably in his last special. I think he also knows his specials are not remotely his best work and he needs a way of driving media interest in them without having to rely on critics thinking they're as funny as his older stuff. Mocking trans people is a very easy way for him to do that.
There's this Norm McDonald joke about how a comedian said that the worst thing about Cosby was his hypocrisy, and how Norm disagreed. He thought the raping was worse. In the same vein I think the most dissappointing thing about Chappelle, and Gervais and all the the other famous professional comedians that are getting paid to write jokes, is how utterly boring and unoriginal they are. Even in his comeback special he did the "I identify as an attack helicopter" routine, just like Gervais. People talk about punching up and punching down, which is valid, but no matter what direction you punch you at least have to be funny. Chappelle is so unfunny and unoriginal that people on Reddit, one of the biggest websites in the world, have created a depository for him: reddit.com/r/onejoke

Dave Chappelle's standup is literally stolen from a generic 17 year old conservative. It's the "come on ketchup!" but for transphobes.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There's this Norm McDonald joke about how a comedian said that the worst thing about Cosby was his hypocrisy, and how Norm disagreed. He thought the raping was worse. In the same vein I think the most dissappointing thing about Chappelle, and Gervais and all the the other famous professional comedians that are getting paid to write jokes, is how utterly boring and unoriginal they are. Even in his comeback special he did the "I identify as an attack helicopter" routine, just like Gervais. People talk about punching up and punching down, which is valid, but no matter what direction you punch you at least have to be funny. Chappelle is so unfunny and unoriginal that people on Reddit, one of the biggest websites in the world, have created a depository for him: reddit.com/r/onejoke

Dave Chappelle's standup is literally stolen from a generic 17 year old conservative. It's the "come on ketchup!" but for transphobes.
There was a hashtag thing going for transpeople to tell jokes about being trans a few years ago and the results weren't amazing but they were still far better than the offerings we get from the 'please cancel me' comedians, or indeed as you say the seventeen year old boys they stole it from.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

If we skip to 6:25 then we seem to conveniently skip over the opinion of someone who disagrees with what Chappelle says, which is sort of what Chapelle himself does in this show. It just comes across like he's not really that interested in what they say unless they're cool with his jokes about them.

He ends his special with the following:
The most telling bit of the quote is the start, if he wants to have an honest and open conversation with the people he's talking about why is he adding the extra letters when everyone knows it's used as a way to ridicule the lgbtq+ community?

sebsheep

No, stop pretending for once. I called you a troll, I didn't present an argument. Your trolling is evident from your behaviour, I have no need to argue with you.
Someone needs to make a meme for Domino appearing whenever trans-people are mentioned. :lol:

Dante

Average bang
The most telling bit of the quote is the start, if he wants to have an honest and open conversation with the people he's talking about why is he adding the extra letters when everyone knows it's used as a way to ridicule the lgbtq+ community?
For the same reason you're ridiculing intesex and asexual people by refusing to say LGBTQIA+.

It's clearly not delivered in a ridiculing way during the special. The conversation he started was 72 minutes long.

Halftrack

For the same reason you're ridiculing intesex and asexual people by refusing to say LGBTQIA+.

It's clearly not delivered in a ridiculing way during the special. The conversation he started was 72 minutes long.
Jesus fecking christ.

sebsheep

I assume the first part is sarcasm, because it'd be a weird attempt at a gotcha moment. :lol:
Not that I even said he was ridiculing people there, I'm just questioning his choice of words in relation to the idea he's putting out there.

That 72 minute conversation included jokes about beating up a lesbian not realising she was a woman, but also telling us he knew because she told him. Jokes about trans-people using the urinals, the whole bit about the woman's daughter who if he had been honest he would've said she was a man, says he's on the side of terfs, misunderstands gender while telling us "facts" about it and hits us with a nice "They" and what did he think a feminist was again?
This show didn't come across as an attempt to find a way to solve the problem, but more like a way for him to complain about people taking issue with things he's said.

Last edited:

Stacks

I didn't realise conservatives voice support for the black community. if what you say is true in that they are boring and unoriginal, why are they still so successful? Could it be that you are maybe humourless?

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Yes Chappelle is so unfunny and unoriginal that most comedians have him as the best from this era. Trying to give reddit credibility by calling it one of the biggest websites in the world is pretty funny though.

I saw the special. It's not his best work and started kinda meh but got a bit better in the second half.

NotThatSoph

Yes Chappelle is so unfunny and unoriginal that most comedians have him as the best from this era. Trying to give reddit credibility by calling it one of the biggest websites in the world is pretty funny though.

I saw the special. It's not his best work and started kinda meh but got a bit better in the second half.
Yes, many of them have him as the best from this era for his work in the noughties. It's been 21 years since Killin Them Softly, and 18 since his TV show debuted.

I'm not trying to give Reddit credibility by calling it one of the biggest websites in the world, I'm doing the opposite. It's the definition of generic, filled with mediocricy and trash. Which is why it's filled with Chappelle's and Gervais's jokes about trans people, day after day, from years before those two came up with them independently.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

I disagree.

Chapelles joke about the Alphabet community in the car was funny, original, had foundations in truth and was end to end brilliant. It spoke from all angles and made jokes in all directions. It also acknowledges just how damn awful everyone is to everyone. It torpedoed this idea that the Queer community is a monoculture that sees eye to eye.

The man is a genius. I don’t think that someone that funny should waste time repeatedly on a culture war he has no role in. But he’s still one of the best to ever pick up a mic.

People would be surprised. I have friends of all kinds of letters. Everybody loves me and I love everybody. I got friends who are L’s. I got friends who are B’s. And I got friends who are G’s. But the T’s hate my feckin’ guts. And I don’t blame ’em. It’s not their fault. It’s mine. I can’t stop telling jokes about these n i g g a s. I don’t want to write these jokes, but I just can’t stop!

You know, you hear all those letters together all the time. “LBGT, LBGT,” and you think it’s just one big movement. It’s not. All those letters are their own movement. They just travel in the same car together. And… my guess is… the G’s are driving that car. That makes sense to me. ‘Cause there’s white men in the G’s. And these people are trying to get around, uh, discrimination and oppression, and you know how white dudes are. “We know these roads. In fact, we built these roads. “The rest of you, buckle up. We’ll get you to where you want to go.”

So the G’s are just driving the car. Of course, next to the G’s in the passenger seat… is the L’s. Everybody likes the L’s, except for the G’s. I don’t know what that’s about. I just know the G’s don’t like them that much. The G’s always say, like, little subliminal digs on ’em. It’s unnecessary shit. It’s not mean, but you know what I mean? They just be like… “I wouldn’t wear that.”

And the only thing that breaks the tension between the L’s and the G’s are the B’s in the backseat. That’s right. There you go. Everybody scream out when you hear your letter. If there’s one thing that the L’s and the G’s agree on, is it’s that the B’s are feckin’ gross. They seem greedy to the L’s and the G’s. You know what I mean? ‘Cause they’re just sittin’ in the back seat like, “Yeah, man, I’ll feck anybody in this car. What’s going on, man?”

And sitting next to the B’s, all the way in the backseat by themselves looking out the window… that’s the T’s. Everybody in the car respects the T’s, but everyone also… resents the T’s. It’s not the T’s’ fault, but everyone in the car just feels like the T’s are making the trip take longer. Anything the T’s say gets on everybody’s nerves. And then, the T’s don’t even say anything bad. They just be in the back talking to themselves. “Hm… “I’m hot.” “Shut up. Shut the feck up, okay? You should roll the window down, you… Bitch, I don’t know what you…” “What? I just said I was hot. Can you pull over at the next exit? I need to use the restroom.” “There is not a restroom for you for four states, n i g g a! Will you just shut the feck up so we can get where we’re going?”

And just when that car can’t get any more tense, the Q’s are a hitchhiker that they pick up on the road. Some white dude in booty shorts just walking in the freeway. The G’s see him. “Hm, that guy might be one of us. Hey, are you okay? You need some help?” And he come over there with them booty shorts, leaning on the window. “Hey, what’s going on, fellas?” Lady. Whatever pronoun makes you feel comfortable in the back. Yeah. I don’t really know where I’m going. I don’t know if I’m gay or I’m straight or whatever. All I know for sure is that, um… I really want to get in this car.” And they make him get in and sit between the B’s and the T’s. I feel bad for T’s. But they’re so confusing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having been one of the funniest comedians of his generation doesn't mean his current act is particularly great, nor does being commercially successful.

The Rolling Stones were a great band and their later albums still regularly top charts and reach gold/platinum status. Few people would use that to argue their new material is particularly good though. They're a legacy act.

Let's be real, if it it wasn't for the work earlier in his career then nobody would be using Chappelle's latest specials to argue for him being one of the best comedians of his generation. Aside from making headlines for anti-Trans material, the notable aspect of his recent work was how deliberately not funny a large portion of 8:46 was. Other than that rather unique special in a unique context, it's been fairly meh.

It shouldn't be particularly surprising that some people don't find him all that any more, particularly if they're not part of the now older generation who were exposed to Chappelle some 20-odd years ago. The same with Gervais, a completely mainstream, establishment-friendly comedian (despite his "have I offended you?" schtick) whose best work was also 20 years ago. At some point these middle-aged and aging comedians sound middle aged and old, just like comedians who peaked around 1980 would have sounded when Chappelle was releasing Killing Them Softly in 2000. Time is a bitch.

cyberman

Exactly. Go through the replies on different subs such as Rogan etc and you’ll see that one of the main reasons they love Dave is because he offends the Karen’s and other such nonsense.
Ill give you an example. Bill Burr did SNL last year and said some close to the knuckle jokes. His entire sub and Reddit fanbase were hysterical about how he was sticking it to the woke etc. Bill came on his pod and sincerely said that wasn’t his intention and that the jokes just didnt land like he thought they would.
The fans who try to dissect a comedians set like they overly do with Dave all fall into that same trap. Sometimes it’s just a shit premise.

Moby

Dick

What a completely weird self contradictory post. Don't think anyone has said his previous work is not funny?

sebsheep

I disagree.

Chapelles joke about the Alphabet community in the car was funny, original, had foundations in truth and was end to end brilliant. It spoke from all angles and made jokes in all directions. It also acknowledges just how damn awful everyone is to everyone. It torpedoed this idea that the Queer community is a monoculture that sees eye to eye.

The man is a genius. I don’t think that someone that funny should waste time repeatedly on a culture war he has no role in. But he’s still one of the best to ever pick up a mic.

People would be surprised. I have friends of all kinds of letters. Everybody loves me and I love everybody. I got friends who are L’s. I got friends who are B’s. And I got friends who are G’s. But the T’s hate my feckin’ guts. And I don’t blame ’em. It’s not their fault. It’s mine. I can’t stop telling jokes about these n i g g a s. I don’t want to write these jokes, but I just can’t stop!

You know, you hear all those letters together all the time. “LBGT, LBGT,” and you think it’s just one big movement. It’s not. All those letters are their own movement. They just travel in the same car together. And… my guess is… the G’s are driving that car. That makes sense to me. ‘Cause there’s white men in the G’s. And these people are trying to get around, uh, discrimination and oppression, and you know how white dudes are. “We know these roads. In fact, we built these roads. “The rest of you, buckle up. We’ll get you to where you want to go.”

So the G’s are just driving the car. Of course, next to the G’s in the passenger seat… is the L’s. Everybody likes the L’s, except for the G’s. I don’t know what that’s about. I just know the G’s don’t like them that much. The G’s always say, like, little subliminal digs on ’em. It’s unnecessary shit. It’s not mean, but you know what I mean? They just be like… “I wouldn’t wear that.”

And the only thing that breaks the tension between the L’s and the G’s are the B’s in the backseat. That’s right. There you go. Everybody scream out when you hear your letter. If there’s one thing that the L’s and the G’s agree on, is it’s that the B’s are feckin’ gross. They seem greedy to the L’s and the G’s. You know what I mean? ‘Cause they’re just sittin’ in the back seat like, “Yeah, man, I’ll feck anybody in this car. What’s going on, man?”

And sitting next to the B’s, all the way in the backseat by themselves looking out the window… that’s the T’s. Everybody in the car respects the T’s, but everyone also… resents the T’s. It’s not the T’s’ fault, but everyone in the car just feels like the T’s are making the trip take longer. Anything the T’s say gets on everybody’s nerves. And then, the T’s don’t even say anything bad. They just be in the back talking to themselves. “Hm… “I’m hot.” “Shut up. Shut the feck up, okay? You should roll the window down, you… Bitch, I don’t know what you…” “What? I just said I was hot. Can you pull over at the next exit? I need to use the restroom.” “There is not a restroom for you for four states, n i g g a! Will you just shut the feck up so we can get where we’re going?”

And just when that car can’t get any more tense, the Q’s are a hitchhiker that they pick up on the road. Some white dude in booty shorts just walking in the freeway. The G’s see him. “Hm, that guy might be one of us. Hey, are you okay? You need some help?” And he come over there with them booty shorts, leaning on the window. “Hey, what’s going on, fellas?” Lady. Whatever pronoun makes you feel comfortable in the back. Yeah. I don’t really know where I’m going. I don’t know if I’m gay or I’m straight or whatever. All I know for sure is that, um… I really want to get in this car.” And they make him get in and sit between the B’s and the T’s. I feel bad for T’s. But they’re so confusing.
Isn't the alphabet thing used as an insult?

That joke isn't even particularly funny, it's main humour really being that I've heard some of the stuff dished out in the gay village in Manchester, without the need to old stereotypes like the booty shorts. It also didn't torpedo anything unless you'd never been around anyone involved in the community. People not liking each other is nothing new, even if they are working together to achieve the same things.

stevoc

This new one is not his best work, he probably knows that himself which is why he's taking a break. First half was ok ended much better but still no where near his best or even his recent specials.

Still a bit surprised at all the controversy over things comedians say. Not sure when people started taking things said in a comedy act so seriously.

Halftrack

This new one is not his best work, he probably knows that himself which is why he's taking a break. First half was ok ended much better but still no where near his best or even his recent specials.

Still a bit surprised at all the controversy over things comedians say. Not sure when people started taking things said in a comedy act so seriously.
It's not like "it's a comedy act" is some universal shield against criticism. When the jokes echo common lines of attack against a particular group, and are not meant to ridicule that line of thinking, they kind of stop being funny.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It must be really annoying to be the great grand child of people who actually lived through slavery to see your words about trans gender people take up more pages and airtime than news that police dragged a paraplegic black man named Clifford from a car after he pleaded with them that he didn't have the use of his legs and couldn't comply with the "step out of the vehicle" commands from police.

Can you imagine if police dragged a paraplegic trans gender woman from a car. The police would be cancelled.
Given the disproportionate levels of violence trans people already face (approx
4 times more likely to be the victims of violent crime and 3.7 times more likely to experience police violence than cisgender people) my guess is they would largely continue to be marginalised and the sort of idiots who imagine their problems get disproportionate attention would continue being idiots.

Tyrion

Given the disproportionate levels of violence trans people already face (approx
4 times more likely to be the victims of violent crime and 3.7 times more likely to experience police violence than cisgender people) my guess is they would largely continue to be marginalised and the sort of idiots who imagine their problems get disproportionate attention would continue being idiots.
That's the weird thing. It genuinely seems like famous people saying ignorant things about trans people get more coverage than non-famous people violently attacking trans people.