Television Netflix announces 3 new Dave Chappelle comedy specials

Stacks

Yeah, I get a sense that the backlash makes him go "feck that, now I’m definitely making fun of them!"
yep. He clearly wants the smoke. Best thing to do is if you don't find it funny, just keep it pushing. If you react and get angry he will probably take the piss again. Don't feed the troll.
Well for starters trans people don’t have the same legal rights as you and me. They don’t have access to healthcare like you and me. They are constantly treated terribly by cops. As we speak, multiple states are looking for ways to ban them from accessing basic healthcare. The list is endless.
I'm interested to hear more. I have read that they won't give minors gender affirming healthcare but what other things are there?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
think the difference is you can buy your favourite artists music simply to support them but its hard to force yourself to laugh. You either do find something funny or you don't. People will go to their fav music acts simply for nostaligia but comedians is different as they have to get laughs or people won't pay anymore. You can see how some greats of the past aren't really doing much anymore which is just a sign of the times. I agree that most people who like Dave's work probably are older as they come from a less hypersensitive generation where you could be a bit dark with it :devil:. So of course you are correct in that comedians typically have their "eras." Eventually he too may die out. That said his story telling and delivery will always be there.

Who are your favourite comedians out of interest?
Ah I have fairly broad and basic taste really. If I was going to see any stand-up I haven't yet seen it would probably be Chris Rock. Bill Burr is the best of the comedians currently doing a similar cancel-culture shtick to the one Chappelle is trying. Of other "edgy" comedians I tend to prefer ones who more self-contained jokes rather than branching into social commentary (Anthony Jeselnik, say). The recently dead Norm Macdonald was very funny too. Of lighter less edgy comedians I like James Acaster, of female comedians I think Nikki Glazer is underrated, Conan O'Brien is a funny man though not really a stand-up, Bob Mortimer though also not particularly as a stand-up. Tbh I tend to listen to podcasts more than stand-ups these days anyway.

Tbf I would also say Chappelle based on his earlier stuff and the Chappelle Show, I just don't think the newer specials are near as good.

Stacks

Ah I have fairly broad and basic taste really. If I was going to see any stand-up I haven't yet seen it would probably be Chris Rock. Bill Burr is the best of the comedians currently doing a similar cancel-culture shtick to the one Chappelle is trying. Of other "edgy" comedians I tend to prefer ones who more self-contained jokes rather than branching into social commentary (Anthony Jeselnik, say). The recently dead Norm Macdonald was very funny too. Of lighter less edgy comedians I like James Acaster, of female comedians I think Nikki Glazer is underrated, Conan O'Brien is a funny man though not really a stand-up, Bob Mortimer though also not particularly as a stand-up. Tbh I tend to listen to podcasts more than stand-ups these days anyway.

Tbf I would also say Chappelle based on his earlier stuff and the Chappelle Show, I just don't think the newer specials are near as good.
Fair enough. I saw Burr in London in 2019. I will check some of the others on your list

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Even though this is a review of his special from two years ago, think it is still relevant for the discussions going on at the moment. For me, Aba and Preach nailed it. Love Dave Chappelle, long time fan, and was so happy to see his show in Stockholm.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
More posts on here should start this way.

Edit: Should just say as well, wasn't particularly arguing with you, her past comments don't mean she can't be right in this instance anyway. Moreso just saying that I would guess a lot of people are primed not to listen to her.
Indeed.

I think her article was an attempt ( a decent one imo) to present both sides of the argument anyways. Like you say she might have a dog in the race already but nothing that came across while reading her article about this topic.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If you think a successful white comedian could get away with racist humour simply because of their experience with black people, having grown up in a black neighbourhood or having black friends then you’re living on another planet.
Doesn't Andrew Schulz make racial jokes?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
yep. I always wondered why he gets a pass but then I don't mind too much what he says. Bill Burr makes jokes incorporating race so there is a way to do it in which the community won't come for you.
Why do you think of it as "getting a pass" ? Maybe his audience, including non-white people, just find him funny. It can really be that simple.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just finally saw this special. Thought it was very funny. Especially the feminism segment :lol:

cyberman

Makes me wonder if those freaking out about the trans part made it to the last segment where trans people bullied Dave's trans friend (for supporting Dave), playing some part in his suicide.
Apparently there’s a question mark about that last point and what really drove HER to suicide

NotThatSoph

Makes me wonder if those freaking out about the trans part made it to the last segment where trans people bullied Dave's trans friend (for supporting Dave), playing some part in his suicide.
According to her roommate she had recently lost custody of her child and gotten fired from her job. She killed herself five weeks after the special. Dave did not get in contact before more than a year after she died, and probably didn't even know.

I'd take his story with a pinch of salt. In fact, getting to that part should make people more likely to "freak out".

MarylandMUFan

According to her roommate she had recently lost custody of her child and gotten fired from her job. She killed herself five weeks after the special. Dave did not get in contact before more than a year after she died, and probably didn't even know.

I'd take his story with a pinch of salt. In fact, getting to that part should make people more likely to "freak out".
Wow, thank you for the context, I wasn't aware of that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

I think Chappelle himself says he thinks the tweets may have contributed in some way to her tragic passing, not sure anyone was saying they were a direct link?

The bolded bit would make sense though. I don't think they were like best buddies and she's not exactly famous or anything... If no one reached out to him then I wouldn't expect him to know.

Not sure I understand the end of your post. Why would that bit make someone freak out more?

I thought him saying he won't make jokes about them unless they both agree to laugh together was a good end to it all?

NotThatSoph

I think Chappelle himself says he thinks the tweets may have contributed in some way to her tragic passing, not sure anyone was saying they were a direct link?

The bolded bit would make sense though. I don't think they were like best buddies and she's not exactly famous or anything... If no one reached out to him then I wouldn't expect him to know.

Not sure I understand the end of your post. Why would that bit make someone freak out more?

I thought him saying he won't make jokes about them unless they both agree to laugh together was a good end to it all?
Trans people as a group have a very high suicide rate, due to all the things they go through. This trans person in particular went through a lot of personal issues. When you have a person that you believe is transphobic based on the things that he has said use the death of this person as a defense of himself and his jokes, then some people might not like that very much.

sport2793

Hmm, this article seems to contradict what you are implying: https://www.thedailybeast.com/dave-...gender-comedian-daphne-dorman-from-the-closer

He may not have known for a long time that she hadn't passed away but that doesn't mean they didn't have a connection of significance. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there right now though, that's for sure.

I actually thought 95% of the Netflix special was fine relative to Dave Chappelle's style of humor. He's said equally shocking things about a lot of different groups of people. Where I feel Dave went really wrong is his part where he claimed there is no such thing as gender dysphoria when there's plenty of research out there to show this is a real phenomenon and is treated as such in the medical community. By doing that, Dave invalidated the trans community as something that's not really real. It's similar to Joe Rogan claiming that vaccines aren't useful without acknowledging the solid research done showing otherwise. Another way of putting it would be if a white person said, "I really like that black guy, but black people are nonetheless inferior to white people and should be slaves as a result", despite all the evidence to the contrary. That's how that part of Dave's act came across to me and if he were to reflect on this, I hope he would apologize for this at least.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

Hmm, this article seems to contradict what you are implying: https://www.thedailybeast.com/dave-...gender-comedian-daphne-dorman-from-the-closer

He may not have known for a long time that she hadn't passed away but that doesn't mean they didn't have a connection of significance. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there right now though, that's for sure.

I actually thought 95% of the Netflix special was fine relative to Dave Chappelle's style of humor. He's said equally shocking things about a lot of different groups of people. Where I feel Dave went really wrong is his part where he claimed there is no such thing as gender dysphoria when there's plenty of research out there to show this is a real phenomenon and is treated as such in the medical community. By doing that, Dave invalidated the trans community as something that's not really real. It's similar to Joe Rogan claiming that vaccines aren't useful without acknowledging the solid research done showing otherwise. Another way of putting it would be if a white person said, "I really like that black guy, but black people are nonetheless inferior to white people and should be slaves as a result", despite all the evidence to the contrary. That's how that part of Dave's act came across to me and if he were to reflect on this, I hope he would apologize for this at least.
It contradicts the "probably didn't know" part, I got my timelines very much mixed up there so that was obviously wrong and a stupid thing to say.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Keep meaning to watch this. Will have to make room this weekend.

We can't lose Dave again

Green_Red

Her sister has also spoken out and said that she is fully supportive of Chappell and don't consider him transphobic. I don't think any single person can act as a judge here.

Also above account is skewed since person seems to believe Chappell was calling himself transphobic in literal sense. Classic problem of people not actually watching a piece of media for whole context but just going off on basis of snippets being reported.
Is saying that gender is a fact and being transphobic mutually exclusive?

Last edited:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Is saying that gender is a fact and being transphobic mutually exclusive?
In my first post itself I said Chappell says transphobic things. My comment was about the person taking an umbrage with Chappell saying I am transphobic in the comedy bit. That had no bearing or significance if you actually watched the special. He said plenty of other things that were transphobic.

Halftrack

HER suicide, come on now. Besides, it's horseshit. Funny how he doesn't blame his own fans for it, given the amount of transphobic abuse they threw at her. Nah, man, it was the trans community that bullied her to death.

It's a tragic story. She apparently had a lot of shit to deal with, and I'm sure the criticism and anger directed at her by her own community didn't help, but it's completely disgusting of him to use her death in that way.

The special sucked anyway. He's very much heading into "old man yelling at clouds" territory, and there are a slew of better comedians out there.

Bebe

Good special although not my favourite of his. Brilliant comedian and my personal opinion is that he hasn't said anything that merits the subsequent outcry. Such are the times we live in I guess.

lsd

The Oracle
Some funny moments and had a good point with Da Baby which he should have just moved on from but instead tripled down on it with some unfunny stuff for another 15 minutes

Wing Attack Plan R

The special sucked anyway. He's very much heading into "old man yelling at clouds" territory, and there are a slew of better comedians out there.
Bolded bit I agree with. Chappelle just wasn't funny in this show. A comedian can tell hard truths and provoke but they have to be funny while doing it. This stand up set was a lot more like listening to a drunk Chappelle talk shit at the bar. He's been much, much better. Chappelle kept conflating things that didn't belong together, like Kevin Hart's stupid homophobia is not the new civil rights movement, and Da Baby can go feck himself, and neither of them should be used to bolster any conversation on transgender people, and both of them are cultural detritus.

Last edited:

stevoc

Bolded bit I agree with. Chappelle just wasn't funny in this show. A comedian can tell hard truths and provoke but they have to be funny while doing it. This stand up set was a lot more like listening to a drunk Chappelle talk shit at the bar. He's been much, much better. Chappelle kept conflating things that didn't belong together, like Kevin Hart's stupid homophobia is not the new civil rights movement, and Da Baby can go feck himself, and neither of them should be used to bolster any conversation on transgender people, and both of them are cultural detritus.
That's subjective though, I thought it wasn't his best work myself but there were definitely funny bits in the show. Some people going off the reviews seemed to find the whole thing hilarious.

Wing Attack Plan R

That's subjective though, I thought it wasn't his best work myself but there were definitely funny bits in the show. Some people going off the reviews seemed to find the whole thing hilarious.
Of course it's subjective, but I'm saying it as a Chappelle fan. I've found a lot of his stuff to be brilliant. This show was weak. Doesn't mean there weren't a few good jokes in it, but I'd give it a C rating.

stevoc

Of course it's subjective, but I'm saying it as a Chappelle fan. I've found a lot of his stuff to be brilliant. This show was weak. Doesn't mean there weren't a few good jokes in it, but I'd give it a C rating.
Obviously comedy is subjective we all know that. Fair enough I must have misinterpreted your last post mate. When you said he just wasn't funny in the show I thought you meant the entire thing.

The second bolded part would be pretty close to how I see the special too for what it's worth.

Wing Attack Plan R

Obviously comedy is subjective we all know that. Fair enough I must have misinterpreted your last post mate. When you said he just wasn't funny in the show I thought you meant the entire thing.

The second bolded part would be pretty close to how I see the special too for what it's worth.
All good mate. This might have been the only one I watched without the help of my friend Mary Jane, so that possibly had an effect too!

Stacks

He pulled out because he didn't want to improve on his previous non-apology apologies for homophobia. But sure, let's pretend he was denied and blame it on the gays being unreasonable.
He stepped down because he didn't have time to prepare and do it correctly. was he being homophobic or making a joke? He made a joke and the community ignored the joke and came after him. The joke about him smashing the dolls house over his sons head, implies he bought his gay son a dolls house in the first place! He even gave the disclaimer before telling the joke so It was clearly a joke but the LGBTQ+ community (only a few of them) decided to take it serious and it was a complete overreaction and achieved nothing. It makes some communities seem humorless