Television Netflix's Resident Evil

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/resident_evil/s01
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9660182/

Abysmal ratings. Have anyone went through with it yet? I try not to get colored by ratings and opinions, so I didn't look it up until I had watched the first episode, but I must admit - the first episode is a brutal watch. And not in a good way. Characters are just annoying. Everyone.

Doesn't really feel like a Resident Evil title at one point really. I'm not sure which audience they are trying to cater too with this. I'm not even sure teenagers, which I assume it's made for, will buy into it?

dal

Well I was about to watch it yesterday and thought I’d look on IMDB ratings and ditched it, watched theguilty instead which was half decent.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The characters are very annoying. Not sure who you're supposed to be rooting for.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Turned it off after half an hour. Feels like it was written by twats who spend too much time on Reddit/Twitter.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Managed an episode and a half.

I can't think of a single redeeming feature. The writing, the editing, the hammy acting, the sets...it's all just so amateurish.

As said above, feck knows which it's aimed at because even angsty teens would laugh at how the angsty teens are written.

AaronRedDevil

I’m not even going to bother watching it. It’s painfully obvious it was going to be pure garbage. Just more diversity bollcoks with a popular name slapped on the end of it. And they dragged Lance Reddick into this. Shame.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So yeah .. won't be watching this.

The last RE film was surprisingly good so this is a bit disappointing.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Haven’t watched it myself, but I have yet to see anyone have anything nice to say about it. Consensus seems to be that it’s a CW teen angst drama with some horror from time to time.

I wonder, what did resident evil do to the world that anyone who takes on an adaptation never thinks “let’s make something the fans want!”? All those well received games with great stories, characters and lore and it’s all pushed aside every single time for someone’s else’s “vision”.

Sylar

Ahh added to my list and was hoping at least some would like it or there would be something redeeming on it

I will probably put it down the list on watching as it seems nobody has said anything good about it

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I’m not even going to bother watching it. It’s painfully obvious it was going to be pure garbage. Just more diversity bollcoks with a popular name slapped on the end of it. And they dragged Lance Reddick into this. Shame.
Lance Reddick is the only good thing about the entire show, but feck knows why he needs to be Wesker. It's the height of laziness to just recycle existing characters rather than create new ones. His character doesn't even feel like Wesker in the slightest, even if "it's a reimagining" is the excuse. If they reimagined Hitler as a cat loving democrat who ate meat then it would be equally shit.

The biggest problem with the show is that everything is telegraphed yet they hype the results as being these big twists, which they're just not. There's no clever writing, and I don't think anyone proof read it. There's two very lazy comparisons to Covid in different episodes, as if they forgot they had already done one. Then there's the issues centering around the reveal of one character, which is treated like a big plot twisting deal, when another character already announced a couple of episodes earlier that they were coming.

I wanted to like this, even just to stick a finger up to the folk who seem to go mental if the chosen cast don't look exactly like the invented character, because looks are all that make up a person, and immediately call a show woke because of it. But I can't like it because, even though it's not woke, it's definitely fecking shite.

AaronRedDevil

Lance Reddick is the only good thing about the entire show, but feck knows why he needs to be Wesker. It's the height of laziness to just recycle existing characters rather than create new ones. His character doesn't even feel like Wesker in the slightest, even if "it's a reimagining" is the excuse. If they reimagined Hitler as a cat loving democrat who ate meat then it would be equally shit.

The biggest problem with the show is that everything is telegraphed yet they hype the results as being these big twists, which they're just not. There's no clever writing, and I don't think anyone proof read it. There's two very lazy comparisons to Covid in different episodes, as if they forgot they had already done one. Then there's the issues centering around the reveal of one character, which is treated like a big plot twisting deal, when another character already announced a couple of episodes earlier that they were coming.

I wanted to like this, even just to stick a finger up to the folk who seem to go mental if the chosen cast don't look exactly like the invented character, because looks are all that make up a person, and immediately call a show woke because of it. But I can't like it because, even though it's not woke, it's definitely fecking shite.
Yeah this is what gets me about these types of shows. Almost every single time there's a diverse cast in a popular brand. It's basically the whole focus. The writing and directing is always shite when it happens. Can't believe how hard it is to get a decent RE show or movie.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Haven’t watched it myself, but I have yet to see anyone have anything nice to say about it. Consensus seems to be that it’s a CW teen angst drama with some horror from time to time.

I wonder, what did resident evil do to the world that anyone who takes on an adaptation never thinks “let’s make something the fans want!”? All those well received games with great stories, characters and lore and it’s all pushed aside every single time for someone’s else’s “vision”.
It's impossible to please Resident Evil fans because they've built the story of Resi up to the point where it's something unbelievably great when it's really just a trashy zombie pile of slush. The real greatness from the games comes from the playing experience, the tension and fear as you're out of herbs and ammo, and then you hear a clicking sound down the corridor. It's really difficult to transfer that into a non-interactive media, so all you're left with is Big Man in trenchcoat chase you hurr hurr.

I'm sorry but the lore in Resi Evil is fecking bonkers in my useless opinion, it's pretty much the other stuff from those games that make them great. Like Chris punching a rock.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah this is what gets me about these types of shows. Almost every single time there's a diverse cast in a popular brand. It's basically the whole focus. The writing and directing is always shite when it happens. Can't believe how hard it is to get a decent RE show or movie.
The point I'm making though is that the diversity of the cast isn't a focus in the show, not even one bit. But people immediately jumped to conclusions because Wesker isn't white.

The reality is that the show is just shite.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Lance Reddick is great in an absolute pile of nonsense. I had no idea they were up to 10 feature films by this point. 10! And no released film about Metal Gear Solid yet. Madness.

Sweet Square

It's impossible to please Resident Evil fans because they've built the story of Resi up to the point where it's something unbelievably great when it's really just a trashy zombie pile of slush. The real greatness from the games comes from the playing experience, the tension and fear as you're out of herbs and ammo, and then you hear a clicking sound down the corridor. It's really difficult to transfer that into a non-interactive media, so all you're left with is Big Man in trenchcoat chase you hurr hurr.

I'm sorry but the lore in Resi Evil is fecking bonkers in my useless opinion, it's pretty much the other stuff from those games that make them great. Like Chris punching a rock.
Yep completely agree. It could only work if it was made as b movie zombie schlock(Almost all video stories are awful)although I’m not how many people would enjoy that.

AaronRedDevil

Lance Reddick is great in an absolute pile of nonsense. I had no idea they were up to 10 feature films by this point. 10! And no released film about Metal Gear Solid yet. Madness.
Thankfully the man directing the MGS movie is a fanboy of the series. I pray to God its going to be great because I'm a gigantic fan of those games. MGS1 was my first game. So I'm gonna be pissed if he dicks around with it.

Frosty

Thankfully the man directing the MGS movie is a fanboy of the series. I pray to God its going to be great because I'm a gigantic fan of those games. MGS1 was my first game. So I'm gonna be pissed if he dicks around with it.
I just hope it sees the light of day. Really looking forward to Oscar Isaac (hopefully as both snakes!)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just hope it sees the light of day. Really looking forward to Oscar Isaac (hopefully as both snakes!)
That guy who made Kong , right ?
Jeez, still he did make some good movies before that dumb fest. Kings of Summer is a nice flick.

Frosty

That guy who made Kong , right ?
Jeez, still he did make some good movies before that dumb fest. Kings of Summer is a nice flick.
Yep, that's the one. Announced in 2020 and the last update was from Isaac in March I believe, saying they were still working on the story. I cannot believe it wouldn't get some funding though, especially given the rubbish which is commissioned on a regular basis.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I am currently watching it. The timeline with lance reddick is pretty good. The other timeline not so good.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He should be able to pull it off easily as with Moonknight
Ugh, now I'm picturing all the upcoming social media memes where Marvel fans compare the two and say "METAL GEAR COPIED MARVEL!!!" And then the comments will just be replies from people who have zero experience of the world outside of Marvel and then I'll shit myself in rage because I take these things too seriously.

Norman Brownbutter

Its easy to give fans what they want, pleasing them is a different story. but at least you tried to give them what they want rather than just taking the name of something they like and slapping it on something completely different and then dropping in some member berries to cover it up. Maybe you don't please them, but at least they don't go in to it fecking hating it like it slept with their wives.

The whole point of taking on an established IP is the built in audience. If the first thing you do is piss them all off, why bother? Why not just make your own thing and that way theres no baggage? Its "I did this because I know better than the original creators." vs " I did this because I created it.". Maybe you don't have that built in audience anymore, but at least you don't have an army of people hating it for its not and having no interest in what it is.

In all honesty, who asked for this:

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Its easy to give fans what they want, pleasing them is a different story. but at least you tried to give them what they want rather than just taking the name of something they like and slapping it on something completely different and then dropping in some member berries to cover it up. Maybe you don't please them, but at least they don't go in to it fecking hating it like it slept with their wives.

The whole point of taking on an established IP is the built in audience. If the first thing you do is piss them all off, why bother? Why not just make your own thing and that way theres no baggage? Its "I did this because I know better than the original creators." vs " I did this because I created it.". Maybe you don't have that built in audience anymore, but at least you don't have an army of people hating it for its not and having no interest in what it is.
Yeah you're right. Just having the name slapped on there reminds me of those Polaroid TVs that folk were fighting over on UK Black Friday a couple of years ago. The TVs were absolutely fecking terrible and made by some no-mark company. But they paid Polaroid a royalty fee after manufacturing so that they could brand them with their name. They still weren't Polaroid TVs, they had feck all to do with the production or design, but because everyone thought they were getting some reputable product due to the name they were swinging elbows at one another just to grab one.

Norman Brownbutter

Yeah you're right. Just having the name slapped on there reminds me of those Polaroid TVs that folk were fighting over on UK Black Friday a couple of years ago. The TVs were absolutely fecking terrible and made by some no-mark company. But they paid Polaroid a royalty fee after manufacturing so that they could brand them with their name. They still weren't Polaroid TVs, they had feck all to do with the production or design, but because everyone thought they were getting some reputable product due to the name they were swinging elbows at one another just to grab one.
:lol: And then they got home, unboxed their pile of shit and said "Wait a minute, this is a pile of shit. Im taking it back!"

On a side note, did this really happen? Ive always considered Polaroid TVs to be dog shit. Like Wharfedale TVs as well that you used to see in the supermarkets. They make brilliant speakers, but I wouldn't trust them with anything else.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: And then they got home, unboxed their pile of shit and said "Wait a minute, this is a pile of shit. Im taking it back!"

On a side note, did this really happen? Ive always considered Polaroid TVs to be dog shit. Like Wharfedale TVs as well that you used to see in the supermarkets. They make brilliant speakers, but I wouldn't trust them with anything else.
:lol: yeah it did happen and it was fecking hilarious.

Multiple times throughout, and to this day, the Polaroid brand has been licensed for TVs, most recently by a Chinese firm called Mokena International.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Watched 1 ep, not watching anymore. It’s bad, I mean really really bad
I'm six episodes in (my wife watches some of the shittest things despite being really smart and incredibly fecking hot) and it gets worse. They can't even figure out narratively what their characters personalities are meant to be, Wesker in particular.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

bought one many many years ago and can confirm it was pants. I mean it wasn’t pants, it was a telly. But a pants telly

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm not sure why they keep persisting with these. Truthfully, I really don't know what anyone would want from it. The writing has always been schlocky nonsense, the story always completely absurd, the dialogue terrible. I mean, that's not really a recipe for great drama. But it worked as a game. Crucially, because you had the gameplay aspect.

Walking around looking for a gem, to place in the eye of a tiger statue (or whatever), so its mouth would open to reveal a shield emblem that you would then place in a small chest to gain access to a key. I mean...it's fecking absurd, but they made it work. You obviously haven't got any of that in the movies and tv shows, or if you have it certainly doesn't work.

I just don't think it transfers well to the screen no matter what you do with it. Change it too much then it's no longer RE, stick to it too well, and it just doesn't translate, IMO.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Still waiting on his iconic slave role so he had to end up in this? Shame.

Nickosaur

It's a shame as I watched an early trailer and a few scenes actually intrigued me. But it's just so poor in every aspect.

Bobski

The whole point of taking on an established IP is the built in audience. If the first thing you do is piss them all off, why bother? Why not just make your own thing and that way theres no baggage?
Because that takes talent and creativity. Much easier to hijack an existing IP, "subvert" expectations while inserting your own half baked story and message and then attack the pre existing fan base when it is received poorly.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I was just going to start watching this tonight so I suppose I’m going to trust everyone here and say feck it. I guess it’s bad and if it’s geared towards teenagers then to hell with it.