Television Netflix's Resident Evil

Adamsk7

We’ve had, what, 7 movies and now a tv show and none of them have actually given us Resident Evil despite all that time that’s all fans have wanted. It doesn’t have to be beat for beat with the games but they are always wildly different and I can’t understand it. I mean why even have the IP if it’s always going to be a complete “reimagining”

Just give us Chris, Jill, Barry, Wesker and a mansion. It’s not bloody hard.

RedDevilQuebecois

To be very honest, I don't give credibility to any US-made "adaptations" of Resident Evil anymore. Only the 3 CG animation movies (Degeneration, Damnation and Vendetta) made in Japan could give me satisfaction after watching something related to the original games.

lsd

The Oracle
I just thought it was a new film had no idea it was a TV series. Not surprised it's even worse than the films though if it's yet another Netflix original teen drama borefest

Ekeke

Watched the first episode after reading this thread. Its no worse than the films so far which were just generic action. That said I didnt like the films and they were obviously their own things away from the games, that may also be the case here which is also lame. I was a big fan of RE2, RE3 and Code Veronica as my first resident evil games playing through them several times. RE4 I thought was overrated. So if it were up to me I'd have resident evil 2 acted out something like 80% copying the game and just making 1 or 2 changes. So this isnt that obviously.

So far I'd give it 6/10 generic zombie tv show but im interested in watching more episodes hoping its closer to the games than the movies

Ekeke

To be very honest, I don't give credibility to any US-made "adaptations" of Resident Evil anymore. Only the 3 CG animation movies (Degeneration, Damnation and Vendetta) made in Japan could give me satisfaction after watching something related to the original games.
Thought those were average too

Chairman Steve

If I was adapting Resident Evil into a TV show, I’d just do an offshoot of the story from RE2 and RE3. A bunch of people are stuck in Raccoon City and need to escape. I don’t think it needs to be purely action. Make it like an adventure/mystery show, with some action and primarily make it B-movie tongue in cheek… You could even incorporate the survival horror mechanics into it like how they have conserve ammo because it’s sparse and the number of zombies is way too overwhelming. That would make the show a lot more suspenseful than those trash Milla Jovovich movies that try to be John Woo movies.

I wouldnt touch Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire etc because doing a story of them is impossible to appease fans and the games already do that anyway.

Ekeke

If I was adapting Resident Evil into a TV show, I’d just do an offshoot of the story from RE2 and RE3. A bunch of people are stuck in Raccoon City and need to escape. I don’t think it needs to be purely action. Make it like an adventure/mystery show, with some action and primarily make it B-movie tongue in cheek… You could even incorporate the survival horror mechanics into it like how they have conserve ammo because it’s sparse and the number of zombies is way too overwhelming. That would make the show a lot more suspenseful than those trash Milla Jovovich movies that try to be John Woo movies.

I wouldnt touch Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire etc because doing a story of them is impossible to appease fans and the games already do that anyway.
How the hell do you know when theres never been an actual attempt of having the characters from the games, in a very similar to canon story done? Of course the fans are never happy when you never actually try to give them what they were in the games.

Ekeke

Halfway through episode 4 now... Main story is slow, and despite one of the selling points being "its closer to the games", its set after Resident Evil 2 and Raccoon City, but half way through the series and its still trying to babyface Wesker despite what would have happened previously in the 2 games where he clearly doesnt care about people dying and just wants to use the virus for profit. Doesnt really seem like the same character even aside from the stark difference in visuals

Counterfactual

Well I finished it. I didn't have much in the way of pre-conceived RE ideas which I feel was a good thing.

It felt a bit drawn out, and the two-timeline concept was a bit clunky, but overall I enjoyed it, and not just because of Ella.

sillwuka

I hadn't seen the IMDb ratings until I after I watched the series.

It seemed like a bit of a walking dead spin off and not exactly what I expected from Resident Evil. Decent but forgettable watch.

:drool:

Sweet Square

Lance Reddick is great in an absolute pile of nonsense. I had no idea they were up to 10 feature films by this point. 10! And no released film about Metal Gear Solid yet. Madness.
It’s not a official film(And I seem to be the only backing this film)but Atomic Blonde is the best attempt MGS movie.

It has all the core elements that are in Metal Gear series. It well worth checking out imo.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Watched the first two episodes and kinda just gave up. It’s not terrible or unwatchable. It’s just not very good. It doesn’t help that two of the main characters make literally the dumbest decisions you can imagine that ends up starting the chain of events for the main premise. Surely they could have found another way to get there with less stupidity.
Also the main family being made up of a black single male with two surrogate daughters of Asian and mixed heritage, beyond brilliant :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s not terrible it’s not very good it’s just ok.

Want to finish it but find myself phone scrolling rather than being fully engaged.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We’ve had, what, 7 movies and now a tv show and none of them have actually given us Resident Evil despite all that time that’s all fans have wanted. It doesn’t have to be beat for beat with the games but they are always wildly different and I can’t understand it. I mean why even have the IP if it’s always going to be a complete “reimagining”

Just give us Chris, Jill, Barry, Wesker and a mansion. It’s not bloody hard.
They did that with the last one, no?

They still made a bad movie, but it was identical to the game in many places.

Ekeke

Finally finished it all.

In the end I'd say it scrapes a 6.5/10 which is dissappointing because there were certain things which are 7 or maybe above. Some of the effects, some of the action and production I would say are. Some of the other effects probably not. I'd say one character and plenty of the decisions made by the characters throughout the show were what dragged it down on top of not feeling like it fits with the real Resident Evil story.

Kid Billie and adult Billie look nothing alike. What a strange casting. A lot of the stuff to do with kid Billie was also some of the worst parts of the show and didnt really fit with the established Resident Evil rules. She was also a constant plot device. Adult Billie was much better but barely in the show.

Real Wesker being in the show for 2 mins was stupid as he was the primary connection to try and make the show feel a bit more canon and less filler or fanfic. If it was in the show about 4 times as much it could have saved that plot thread and the reveal of the clones.

izzydiggler

I assume this was a series developed and ready to go until a Netflix tacked on a familiar franchise to generate some interest in something nobody cared about.

I didn’t hate it, it just has barely anything to do with Resident Evil. I have no real idea what they were trying to go for.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea its not terrible but equally so not terrific either. Like 3.8 out of 5.

I thought the present day timeline was decent. The early on part of the future timeline was terrible but got better.

A lot of suspension of disbelief moments. Still watchable.

DeGea’sFeet

It's impossible to please Resident Evil fans because they've built the story of Resi up to the point where it's something unbelievably great when it's really just a trashy zombie pile of slush. The real greatness from the games comes from the playing experience, the tension and fear as you're out of herbs and ammo, and then you hear a clicking sound down the corridor. It's really difficult to transfer that into a non-interactive media, so all you're left with is Big Man in trenchcoat chase you hurr hurr.

I'm sorry but the lore in Resi Evil is fecking bonkers in my useless opinion, it's pretty much the other stuff from those games that make them great. Like Chris punching a rock.
RE will probably make for a great VR game / experience once that becomes accessible to a wider market and the tech advanced.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I assume this was a series developed and ready to go until a Netflix tacked on a familiar franchise to generate some interest in something nobody cared about.

I didn’t hate it, it just has barely anything to do with Resident Evil. I have no real idea what they were trying to go for.
Exactly my thoughts. Somebody wrote a zombie series and Netflix forced another ip with ready made fan base on them turning the whole thing into a clusterfeck.

jasT1981

I've loved the games since 1996.

Started the show tonight. Just what in the heck was that? It was bloody awful. A CW teen drama with some zombies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I managed to watch it all, but it wasnt great. It wasnt terrible either. I actually thought the present timeline was decent. The future timeline was awful.

GazTheLegend

Have actually quite enjoyed some bits of the series so far. Lance Reddick carries it HARD and he's not in enough scenes but it is better than the
awful and utterly unwatchable film series -in my opinion-, not that that's a hard bar to pass. The main characters are boring, and the ploydecisions at umbrella hq...I need to go into spoilers as to how unbelievably dumb they are but the lack of security or protocol at a company that has already had multiple breaches just breaks immersion for me COMPLETELY.

And I guess the entire future arc is irredeemable shit so far excepting the lickers cameo. But besides all that I'm enjoying it... Sort of.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Have actually quite enjoyed some bits of the series so far. Lance Reddick carries it HARD and he's not in enough scenes but it is better than the
awful and utterly unwatchable film series -in my opinion-, not that that's a hard bar to pass. The main characters are boring, and the ploydecisions at umbrella hq...I need to go into spoilers as to how unbelievably dumb they are but the lack of security or protocol at a company that has already had multiple breaches just breaks immersion for me COMPLETELY.

And I guess the entire future arc is irredeemable shit so far excepting the lickers cameo. But besides all that I'm enjoying it... Sort of.
The future timeline is awful. Ruins it i feel.

How she didnt break her two legs from jumping from that height kind of killed the mood.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Lance Reddick carries it HARD and he's not in enough scenes
He really does doesn't he? He's a great actor and it they had focused more on Wesker then it might not have been as bad to be honest. The dynamic between the sisters was handled really badly when it was potentially quite great.

Ekeke

So they cancelled this. They cancel a lot of stuff so I suppose its not a surprise, resident evil fans obviously werent happy with it, although I maintain that "as its own thing" it was okay, even good in some parts. And it had lots of viewership at first but then fell out of the top shows on netflix, so I suppose that vs financials meant they chose to cancel

Dr. StrangeHate

Sad about this. It was alright (6.5/10) and I prefer to watch a bastardised resident evil universe than a lot of the crap that is out there.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I cancelled it about 10mins into the second episode, so I'm not surprised nor saddened about this.

What bothers me is the shear lack of just doing what makes sense instead of some "creative" retelling that falls stupidly flat due to awful writing. Give us a mansion, give us a whole season of them trying to escape said mansion with lots of action/arguing/betrayal and ultimately some survival.

Cheap to make, easy to script, and most importantly entertaining. I'd take that over all this "retelling" nonsense that the interns wrote.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I cancelled it about 10mins into the second episode, so I'm not surprised nor saddened about this.

What bothers me is the shear lack of just doing what makes sense instead of some "creative" retelling that falls stupidly flat due to awful writing. Give us a mansion, give us a whole season of them trying to escape said mansion with lots of action/arguing/betrayal and ultimately some survival.

Cheap to make, easy to script, and most importantly entertaining. I'd take that over all this "retelling" nonsense that the interns wrote.
It staggers me they have yet to do this. I gave up after the second episode.