Neville - ‘’no style of play’’

IrishRedDevil

A manger in place for over 3 years, yet not style or pattern of play.

Basically, a group of players just relying on individual brilliance to bail us out.

First time I think Neville has directed negativity at the coaching? Albeit you have to read between the lines.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Obvious for everyone

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Even Nev can't polish this turd.
A team that can't play as a unit in and out of possession after three years under a coach, never will.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s not wrong. I’ve been saying this for two years. The pressure is building now though, he’s running out of excuses. The squad is ready to compete with the elites of European football, there’s only one thing holding us back & that is becoming clearer & clearer with every game. If he drags Ronaldo into the Europa league it’s curtains for him.

Moby

Dick
Notice how he's able to criticize the result without flailing his arms about in the air calling for the head of the manager.

Flytan

He blamed it more on the players being "unfamiliar" with each other and not the lack of coaching.

Point is, if there was coaching going on the new players may struggle, but you wouldn't have players who have been here for years still looking like headless chickens. it's on the coaching.

Lewnited

Its not really rocket science tbf, 90% of the fanbase has been saying the same thing for a while now.

Chairman Steve

I agree with him. We dont play as a team like City, Chelsea or Liverpool. We seem to rely heavily on individual magic or ‘moments’ as Gary calls them, and we go through a period of 5-6 games where we look utter shite then when it looks like its all about to collapse, we pull out an amazing 10 game win streak from nowhere. It’s a really unusual team and it needs to stop being so erratic if we’re going to progress.

He didnt say his mate who’s been here almost 3 years may have some considerable blame for it though, and instead copped out to the squad needing to gel.

I feel like a lot of our wins are by the skin of the teeth, and hardly any commanding wins.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The results have improved under Ole but I agree even when we win the performances just aren’t there. Very disjointed all of the time. That has to be down to the coaching. He won’t get away with it with the calibre of players we have now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
A manger in place for over 3 years, yet not style or pattern of play.

Basically, a group of players just relying on individual brilliance to bail us out.

First time I think Neville has directed negativity at the coaching? Albeit you have to read between the lines.

Damning.

Womp

idiot
Notice how he's able to criticize the result without flailing his arms about in the air calling for the head of the manager.
Ye, shocking that a pundit who is doing his job as a professional isn't asking for another professional who happens to be his friend to be sacked :confused:

The fact that we still don't look coached after 3 fecking years and ridiculous levels of investment is enough justification to determine he's taken us as far as he can now.

Pace Abuser

Where's all those people taking piss out of us "whiners" for saying there's just no identity or tactical awareness with Ole?

Foxbatt

He blamed it more on the players being "unfamiliar" with each other and not the lack of coaching.

Point is, if there was coaching going on the new players may struggle, but you wouldn't have players who have been here for years still looking like headless chickens. it's on the coaching.
He did say that Ronaldo has just come and so did Varane but he also did say subtly that he did not think this team is going to win trophies. He is not going to come out and say sack Ole because they are mates.

Zoo

Yet people in this place want Zidane to replace Ole, what style of play does he bring exactly?
When you win it doesn’t matter so much. Zidane has won a lot at probably the most high pressured club in the world.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Also Gary, I thought all Ole needed was Kane, Sancho, and Varane? Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane not enough still? Did you only just realise that Ole's not had a style of play during his tenure at United? This is the level of football pundits in this country. Those with a clear agenda, who are more concerned about looking out for their mates than being objective.

Flytan

He did say that Ronaldo has just come and so did Varane but he also did say subtly that he did not think this team is going to win trophies. He is not going to come out and say sack Ole because they are mates.
I think realistically he could be a bit more direct in criticizing Ole without just saying "sack him". Saying something along "the pressure is mounting for Ole" or "the squad investment is too good for this level of play". Like the fact he hasn't been more direct is pretty damning on him for being remotely unbiased when it comes to our manager. Like that with all United media types though, "old boys club".

Also Gary, I thought all Ole needed was Kane, Sancho, and Varane? Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane not enough still? Did you only just realise that Ole's not had a style of play during his tenure at United? This is the level of football pundits in this country. Those with a clear agenda, who are more concerned about looking out for their mates than being objective.
His hatred of the Glazers made him say that since he was so sure they wouldn't invest so much, then they did so he moved the goalposts for his buddy. Embarrassing.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Neville will never call for the head of a United manager, I’m not sure he even did peak Jose unless I am mistaken.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It has been obvious for a while, he’s now being forced to indirectly discuss the lack of coaching since we signed 2/3 players he wanted & got Ronaldo (over St. Kane) so there are no excuses that the owners don’t back the manager.

Dante

Average bang
He isn't going to say sack any manager. People need to stop hoping for Neville to become a mouthpiece for their own reactionary posts on Redcafe.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
He isn't going to say sack any manager. People need to stop hoping for Neville to become a mouthpiece for their own reactionary posts on Redcafe.
Baffles me why he gets stick from fans on here for not saying what they want him to say. He's in the media, diplomacy is needed, deep down inside Gary is like SAF, he's ruthless and knows what needs to be done but he can't just say it like that.

Oranges038

Aside from style of play, players being unfamiliar with each other is another issue. That can be resolved over time.

There really seems to be a lack of chemistry and understanding amongst the players on the pitch, even those that have been there for 2 or more seasons under Ole.

Acole9

Outstanding
A lot of his ex teammates are turning on him now. His time as manager is coming to an end.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The results have improved under Ole but I agree even when we win the performances just aren’t there. Very disjointed all of the time. That has to be down to the coaching. He won’t get away with it with the calibre of players we have now.
It's also down to the transfer policy which has been pretty random. Once you get a style of play, some players will fit it and some players won't. And then what? Shipping out your £400k a week goalie (for example) because you want a sweeper keeper is a lot harder than showing Ole the door. At one point on Saturday we had Ronaldo and Cavani on the pitch. It made no sense. One of them would have to go if we actually had a coherent style of play.

It's just not as easy as we would like or it would have happened a long time ago. We have 16 years of Glazer mismanagement to unpick. In many ways that's why they keep Ole around - to take the blame.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
The best group of players we've had in many years now. Neville is totally right and it's just sad, particularly because you know that things aren't going to change anytime soon. Golden opportunity to truly compete at the top again with the sheer firepower we possess, but it seems like it's just not going to be utilised to it's fullest potential.

Dante

Average bang
When Neville said we were third favourites despite having a strong squad a few weeks ago, that was somehow pro-Ole. Now that he's saying we're third favourites despite have a strong squad this evening, it's become anti-Ole.

It's just a basic statement of opinion each time. There doesn't need to be some grand agenda behind it.

You can spin it any way you like. The underlying fact is that as long as United keep moving upward, Ole will stay. But if a consistent decline sets in, he'll be sacked. Punditry from one week to the next is just about the most recent game.

Jericholyte2

That’s effectively what Neville is saying though. Because we have better players the law of averages says that one of the players will have a moment of genuine quality which will give us a win. Season 1 it was Pogba and Rashford, season 2 and 3 it was Pogba, Rashford and Bruno with Greenwood coming up, this season he’s added Ronaldo, Sancho to the mix so, objectively we have more match winners. But without cohesion and coaching we won’t ever be anything more than that.

When Ole first took over he said there were four main targets:
1. Get a better squad.
2. Start imposing our game on opponents
3. Stop starting games so slowly
4. Out work and out press the opponent

Now he’s done item 1 as the money has been given out, but that first point is the only one that can be fixed by money. The rest has to be done on the training ground, where Ole and the coaching staff have proven they aren’t up to the task.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fairly balanced criticism, particularly in terms of acknowledging we have some ideas and patterns, just not enough.

What I would say that while what he says about new players getting used to each other is true, after Ole being in charge for this long they should be coming into a side that already has that way of playing firmly entrenched. We needed better players but not because it's only at that point you start improving your approach.

Jibbs

This.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yep, before we signed Ronaldo he was going on about if we could get Ole Kane he could win the league. We got him Ronaldo, he has now changed his mind.

Giggsy13

He only won due to the squad he had, along with some of the worst ref decisions along the way in cup competitions.
Ridiculous take. Champions league 3 in a row and winning the league without Ronaldo, but let’s undermine his achievements and thank Ole for 2 champions league finishes in a row with ZERO trophies along the way.