Neville - ‘’no style of play’’

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Who the hell would hire him.

We're the only club in the league that rewards mediocrity.

We have Pogba, Ronaldo, Bruno yet we're sitting with a championship level manager.

We won't win the league or anything this season so how is this man still in a job.
See : Gareth Southgate

Talented, but ultimately limited, Useful Idiots.

England and United have the same problem.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
"A manger in place for over 3 years"

man·ger/ˈmānjər/
noun: a long open box or trough for horses or cattle to eat from.

Things are getting out of hand!
Away in a manger.
No crib for a bed
The little Lord Ole
Lay down his sweet head…

Then Ronnie did a stepover
Bruno did a flick and dropped a hint
Rashford said let’s feed the world
Pogba called his agent

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Fantastic data driven video into what we're failing at. DDG comes out of it worse than I would have guessed.
Excellent analysis spot on re DDG Bruno and the lack of a framework

Lentwood

Fantastic data driven video into what we're failing at. DDG comes out of it worse than I would have guessed.
This is really interesting, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody who watches us regularly.

- De Gea is a problem due to his total inability to distribute the ball. Well, obviously! Why do people think Klopp and Pep spent £120m between them on GKs who are brilliant footballers? They're not daft!

- All of our attacks progress down the left because only Maguire and Shaw are comfortable on the ball out of our GK, back four and double pivot. Again, obvious when you watch us.

- Pogba should never play CDM/CM. Again, this should be obvious by now.

- Bruno is a problem. More and more apparent every game. You can't have a player just charging about, doing what they want. It just doesn't work in modern football. Teams need structure and passing channels. Teams need to press as a team.

- Ronaldo is an issue currently. Again, obvious just a few games in. We seem to want our wide forwards to be high and wide, but if Ronaldo is dropping deep and drawing defenders, shouldn't they be running the inside channel? (Like Rashford for our goal Saturday or Salah/Mane do at Liverpool in a 4-3-3

What I took from that video is not that we don't have a plan at all, just that what we are doing currently doesn't play to the strengths of our players. We need to trust our players on the ball, and not just kop out and pass to Maguire/Shaw every time. We need to get the right-hand side involved. We need to choose one of Pogba or Fernandes, and they need to be receiving and moving the ball in central areas. We need our wide forwards to play as inside forwards.

VivaRonaldo85

The current style of play is to put your best 11 players on the pitch and hope they can do something out of nothing. Well I’m being facetious but you get the point…..

elnorte

Freaky fly day
This is really interesting, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody who watches us regularly.

- De Gea is a problem due to his total inability to distribute the ball. Well, obviously! Why do people think Klopp and Pep spent £120m between them on GKs who are brilliant footballers? They're not daft!

- All of our attacks progress down the left because only Maguire and Shaw are comfortable on the ball out of our GK, back four and double pivot. Again, obvious when you watch us.

- Pogba should never play CDM/CM. Again, this should be obvious by now.

- Bruno is a problem. More and more apparent every game. You can't have a player just charging about, doing what they want. It just doesn't work in modern football. Teams need structure and passing channels. Teams need to press as a team.

- Ronaldo is an issue currently. Again, obvious just a few games in. We seem to want our wide forwards to be high and wide, but if Ronaldo is dropping deep and drawing defenders, shouldn't they be running the inside channel? (Like Rashford for our goal Saturday or Salah/Mane do at Liverpool in a 4-3-3

What I took from that video is not that we don't have a plan at all, just that what we are doing currently doesn't play to the strengths of our players. We need to trust our players on the ball, and not just kop out and pass to Maguire/Shaw every time. We need to get the right-hand side involved. We need to choose one of Pogba or Fernandes, and they need to be receiving and moving the ball in central areas. We need our wide forwards to play as inside forwards.
Yep. Again not just a case of a new manager just walking in, clicking his fingers and winning the league.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
They are a country of 5m. By year/per capita I think they’re above most countries in terms of PL winners. Higher still by sheer medal count.

Ignoring your point on Oles coaching credentials. Im not promoting him. At all. Moyes is a better coach but failed here. Hussenhutl and Potter would too. It’s a bit, tough job. Ole has done a great job to set us straight. Cleared deadwood, signed young players, got everyone on board. Don’t ignore his successes just to say someone better is needed. I agree. But Conte/Klopp/Guardiola would Not have done a better job in 2.5years post Jose. He’s done us right.
Klopp and Pep wouldn't have done better than Ole in 2.5yrs?

KetilOwren88

It's not really dumb though, cant remember any decent Norwegian manager in recent memory and generally Norwegians aren't really great at football though, using Haaland as an example of 1 in 1000 doesnt change the fact.
That said, his point was not really about Ole being Norwegian although your point is well noted.
Maybe you are too young, but Nils Arne Eggen and his work at Rosenborg during the 90’s and further is well known, and we had a one of the best and most innovative NT coaches too in Egil Olsen, despite him failing at Wimbledon later. Norway was even listed 2nd at The Fifa ranking for a period, and we had a very strong team back then. We have been shite for too long after that though, but that doesn’t mean we have always been average and with no quality managers whatsoever. It seems like we are about to become a good team again with Ståle Solbakken, who is also a good manager, highly respected for his long time work at FC Copenhagen. Until recently we also had the Danish NT coach in Åge Hareide. We are a very small country after all, and football is the biggest sport of them all.

Last edited:

Strelok

Just read this. I started to dislike Garry a bit after him being a pundit, but this time imo he's pretty spot on on several things.

He said: "I thought last season there was something building.

"I bet you if you asked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer if he'd like last season's squad back or this one, he'd go back to last season's.

"I think they've got six grenades where the pins have been pulled out in the dressing room.

"That can work - I've seen Del Bosque manage a Real Madrid team to Champions League victories. I've seen Zidane do it with great players.

"I think PSG are like that at the moment, they're not really a Pochettino team with the high press but they have great players."

Neville continued: "Ole has got a bit of that now. "Cristiano Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, Cavani, Harry Maguire… these are massive characters in the dressing room.
Neville added: "Man Utd's forward players are not organised but they also need to get a shift in.

"I'm watching great players in this league in Man City and Liverpool and they work like dogs, like non-league central midfield players and forwards.

"Why is it we accept at Manchester United in the front part of the pitch that they won't work as hard?"
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16460709/man-utd-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-squad-team/amp/

dal

Gibberish, wont be bothered to reply.
If you're poor at your job you should get sacked, that's not rocket science.
Ferguson should have been sacked in 1989 then, genius.

passtheball

Just read this. I started to dislike Garry a bit after him being a pundit, but this time imo he's pretty spot on on several things.
Neville says Ole would prefer last season's squad. What he is suggesting -- seemingly unknowingly -- is that Ole can't deal with winners and world-class talents like Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho.

Neville is perfecting the art of saying both sides of an argument. If United's forwards are not organized, then it is quite besides the point that they don't put a shift in. Put in a shift towards what end?

Talk about tying yourself in knots trying to defend your mate.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

That channel is brimming with Ole ins. It took Steve Hawson two days to comment about our last game and when he did it, he banned comments for non members and sent any dissidents to basically feck off because he needed his safe space or something.

Its also funny how they blame it on Johnny Foreigner here who was MOM rather then the 80m 'world class' player Ole brought in and whom he threw in the deep end with barely any match fitness whatsoever. Maguire is a one big mistake per game when he's fully fit, let alone when he's out of fitness.

red4ever 79

That channel is brimming with Ole ins. It took Steve Hawson two days to comment about our last game and when he did it, he banned comments for non members and sent any dissidents to basically feck off because he needed his safe space or something.

Its also funny how they blame it on Johnny Foreigner here who was MOM rather then the 80m 'world class' player Ole brought in and whom he threw in the deep end with barely any match fitness whatsoever. Maguire is a one big mistake per game when he's fully fit, let alone when he's out of fitness.
Stretford paddock are massive Ole inners. Can't see past what is actually happening.

devilish

Stretford paddock are massive Ole inners. Can't see past what is actually happening.
Jesus wannabe (thin guy, long hair and beard) even said that Ole deserves more time then any other average manager because, well, he is one of us and would never ever leave

izec

Jesus wannabe (thin guy, long hair and beard) even said that Ole deserves more time then any other average manager because, well, he is one of us and would never ever leave
To be fair he would never ever leave, but that is because he is shit and no decent club would think about hiring him.

devilish

To be fair he would never ever leave, but that is because he is shit and no decent club would think about hiring him.
I find this 'Ole would stay with us forever' is BS. Conte was a Juventus legend both as a player and as a manager. Juventus gave him his first shot at a top club (they bought him from Lecce), they made him a great player, they promoted him to captain and then they gave him his first top club job as a manager as well. That didn't stop him from causing a proper scene which lead to his departure and to sign for Juventus no 1 enemy few years after. SAF, the very epitome of Manchester United nearly left United twice before he actually did. Top managers are rare to come by which means that clubs would throw money at them simply for them to sign up with them. Also managers get bored, they sometimes need a change of scenery and its not uncommon for them to lose the dressing room.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

It was a good watch.
  • The ordinal pass maps are really interesting. It visuals what you see with the eye. We have to fight to get out of our half and constantly pass in a U shape around the opposition.
  • I think a lot of fans have understood for a while that DDG is a very limited goalkeeper in the wider sense. Everyone recognises his shot stopping, but for United to improve as a team they need a better all rounded footballer and box presence. We arguably have bigger problems right now, but it was probably a little inconvenient that De Gea has started the season so well, when the briefings were that Henderson would get a chance to establish himself before COVID.
  • I think people are only just starting to cotton on that Bruno Fernandes is a highly disruptive influence on the pitch. That can be positive when it negatively effects the opposition, but it also really disrupts our defensive shape and undermines our ability to control a match and sustain pressure.
Here's an article that Maram wrote on Ronaldo recently: https://maramperninety.medium.com/ronaldo-a-square-peg-in-a-round-hole-25fc1f7396a, which highlights that maybe some of us are mischaracterising him as a poacher, when actually he wants to drift wide and deep a lot, but usually just to create shots for himself. She's a big fan of Sancho from the articles she wrote in the summer (which are an exciting read to rekindle your expectation in him), highlighting that it seemed like he would be a good fit for our right flank. He should be able to play deeper to help ball progression and provide some balance to Rashford playing more aggressively running in behind from the left. He was literally one of the best in the world at this.

AneRu

Ferguson should have been sacked in 1989 then, genius.
Ferguson was a proven winner, he had the trophies to back him up and if he had spent half a billion on players he wouldn't have been under threat then.

SuperiorXI

I don't get the obsession of some people in wanting Neville to call for Ole's head... he's a football pundit, his job is to talk about football matches and how they are played... he's not supposed to be calling for people to get the sack. Also, why would you get satisfaction out of him asking for someone to be sacked? fecking weird fetish.

captaincantona

On a side note... this is fantastic free content that really give fans a better appreciation of what they are witnessing. Having watched this it would be fair to presume that there is NO WAY Utds coaches are not aware of why we look so disjointed. We look disjointed because we are disjointed and this basic analysis backs up the eye test.

Over reliant on individuals having good games.

Strelok

Neville says Ole would prefer last season's squad. What he is suggesting -- seemingly unknowingly -- is that Ole can't deal with winners and world-class talents like Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho.

Neville is perfecting the art of saying both sides of an argument. If United's forwards are not organized, then it is quite besides the point that they don't put a shift in. Put in a shift towards what end?

Talk about tying yourself in knots trying to defend your mate.
You mean I wanted to defend Ole?

If yes then hell no mate. Imo both side of the argument you mentioned, if there was, is correct. We were better with the line up last season, our forwards have pretty low workrate and Ole doesn't know how to handle the big egos. All true imo.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Neville talking about winning the EL this season being a success after we’ve played two UCL matches is the moment my spirit retired.

passtheball

You mean I wanted to defend Ole?

If yes then hell no mate. Imo both side of the argument you mentioned, if there was, is correct. We were better with the line up last season, our forwards have pretty low workrate and Ole doesn't know how to handle the big egos. All true imo.
No, mate, I didn't imply you were defending Ole.

Yes, it is true that we were better with the line up last season, but that's only because Ole knows only once tactic of counter-attacking and we won't win anything that way. That we brought in world class talent this summer should never be put in a negative light in any manner, but that's what Neville is doing.

Neville sidesteps the real issue by bringing up the matter at all. His motives are questionable when he mentions the players' work rates in the same breath as saying they are not properly organized in a system. He tries to equalize the two issues - but they are not equal. An attack needs to be well-coached in movement and patterns of play first and foremost. Working hard should be a given at a big club (as if that requires anything except fitness!) and if United's forwards (including the young Greenwood and Sancho) are not doing enough running, then that does not reflect well on the management either.

:lol:

Joe and Howson from the Stretford Paddock are really insufferable.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Neville talking about winning the EL this season being a success after we’ve played two UCL matches is the moment my spirit retired.
Carragher in his column ripped apart Gary, Keane and Scholes for making excuse after excuse for Ole.

Cloud7

See : Gareth Southgate

Talented, but ultimately limited, Useful Idiots.

England and United have the same problem.
Ole is vastly more talented as a manger than Southgate. Southgate is a lower championship level manager who lucked into the best England squad in a generation because he's a benign personality.

Castia

Ole is vastly more talented as a manger than Southgate. Southgate is a lower championship level manager who lucked into the best England squad in a generation because he's a benign personality.
Ole wouldn’t have made a Euro final or World Cup semi he’s got nothing tactically about him. I bet if Southgate leaves England he gets offers from the PL…Ole wouldn’t.

captaincantona

Let’s go back for a minute and imagine- if Mourinho was sacked at the end of a season and we had a summer to hire a full time coach- no caretaker bullshit...no one, absolutely no one would have suggested that Ole should be in the mix at all. No one would have suggested that he had anywhere near the coaching or tactical acumen to manage in the PL let alone at Utd. Nothing in his coaching pedigree suggested that. So why do we think that after 3 years of learning on the job, his pedigree and genius is somehow going to ignite? Is this a trend in coaches? Do some coaches need a decade to develop into world class coaches? Or is that world class pedigree evident from the outset?

My point is that Ole has never shown any type of promise as a coach- he was a sentimental appointment who rallied the troops brilliantly. He was never a top level coach and has not shown anything in 3 years to suggest he is improving.

This is really a non question. Of course we need someone better.

Strelok

No, mate, I didn't imply you were defending Ole.

Yes, it is true that we were better with the line up last season, but that's only because Ole knows only once tactic of counter-attacking and we won't win anything that way. That we brought in world class talent this summer should never be put in a negative light in any manner, but that's what Neville is doing.

Neville sidesteps the real issue by bringing up the matter at all. His motives are questionable when he mentions the players' work rates in the same breath as saying they are not properly organized in a system. He tries to equalize the two issues - but they are not equal. An attack needs to be well-coached in movement and patterns of play first and foremost. Working hard should be a given at a big club (as if that requires anything except fitness!) and if United's forwards (including the young Greenwood and Sancho) are not doing enough running, then that does not reflect well on the management either.

:lol:

Joe and Howson from the Stretford Paddock are really insufferable.
We should agree to disagree then.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No way. Southgate is not class manager but he is levels above Ole

AFC NimbleThumb

Glad to hear Neville say after it was ‘good’ to hear Pogba speak after Leicester that Maguire has to speak this week. He’s been anonymous after losses. About time he fronts up as captain.

Chairman Steve

“These players don’t look like they know eachother. They don’t work together as a team. They don’t look like a team. This is not something that has cropped up overnight. This performance has been coming for a while…. But the manager needs more time”

AFC NimbleThumb

“These players don’t look like they know eachother. They don’t work together as a team. They don’t look like a team. This is not something that has cropped up overnight. This performance has been coming for a while…. But the manager needs more time”
Talks out the back of his head.

RedDevilRoshi

“These players don’t look like they know eachother. They don’t work together as a team. They don’t look like a team. This is not something that has cropped up overnight. This performance has been coming for a while…. But the manager needs more time
Pretty much why I cannot take this guy seriously.