Neville change of stance towards Glazers

red thru&thru

Neville liked this tweet

I don't understand the cretin comment. It obviously was working as Ed has been doing a lot of interviews/leaking stuff out about how and what they are doing at the club. A lot of the pressure on Ed was coming from the media, including social media.

I get the the better the devil you know comments, but I'm still to see/read what good contribution the Glazers and Ed have made since taking over?!

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Let's not bring in facts here.
Glazers have never interfered with the first team. The Leeds owners were complete different beast.
Ill admit that and even said it during the Saudi takeover over hype that another owner might see the club as a plaything. But to me people who protest the glazers stealing £1b are not whiners

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Glazers have never interfered with the first team. The Leeds owners were complete different beast.
Ill admit that and even said it during the Saudi takeover over hype that another owner might see the club as a plaything. But to me people who protest the glazers stealing £1b are not whiners
And neither are they to Gary - you have been putting words in his mouth since the start of this thread

I asked you before and you didn't answer, what that Neville says do you actually disagree with? Post the quote

momo83

Massive Snowflake
And neither are they to Gary - you have been putting words in his mouth since the start of this thread

I asked you before and you didn't answer, what that Neville says do you actually disagree with? Post the quote
I’ve been very clear. It’s the tone and the context. Like I’ve said countless times, he’s started the process of demonising the anti-Glazer movement by demeaning it and without actually saying it telling people that they should just shut up and not express their opinion.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I’ve been very clear. It’s the tone and the context. Like I’ve said countless times, he’s started the process of demonising the anti-Glazer movement by demeaning it and without actually saying it telling people that they should just shut up and not express their opinion.
No he's not said anything of the sort, that's all in your mind

Like I said, post the quotes you disagree with

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What he said is that yelling doesn't accomplish anything. I guess its fair game to take offense to that, but remember there's been a lot of yelling and no change over the years.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
No he's not said anything of the sort, that's all in your mind

Like I said, post the quotes you disagree with
Calling people who protest the Glazers whiners is attributing negativity to it and discouraging it... that’s my opinion

momo83

Massive Snowflake
What he said is that yelling doesn't accomplish anything. I guess its fair game to take offense to that, but remember there's been a lot of yelling and no change over the years.
Like I said. It’s all in his choice of words.

GBBQ

I don't understand the cretin comment. It obviously was working as Ed has been doing a lot of interviews/leaking stuff out about how and what they are doing at the club. A lot of the pressure on Ed was coming from the media, including social media.
It did succeed in this way, that it forced them into commenting and hopefully it might shake the Glazers into setting up the right structure to benefit the club on the pitch. Whether it will actually lead to a long term improvement is a whole other thing. What it wont do, is convince the Glazers to sell the club. They just don't have any incentive to sell up unless someone comes in with a mega money offer and that is probably restricted to a handful of people who could afford it.

I get the the better the devil you know comments, but I'm still to see/read what good contribution the Glazers and Ed have made since taking over?!
Whether you like it or not, under Ed we've spent the second largest amount of money in the league in transfers. We've one of the biggest wage bills in the league as well (not sure where we are now with the 8% drop in salaries). The problems really are structural here. If we set up a football-centric structure to take care of the on field stuff, leave Ed to keep the revenue flowing and the Glazers to bankroll transfers each window (with a fair amount being made available each year) and take their dividend, everyone is happy.

red thru&thru

Whether you like it or not, under Ed we've spent the second largest amount of money in the league in transfers. We've one of the biggest wage bills in the league as well (not sure where we are now with the 8% drop in salaries). The problems really are structural here. If we set up a football-centric structure to take care of the on field stuff, leave Ed to keep the revenue flowing and the Glazers to bankroll transfers each window (with a fair amount being made available each year) and take their dividend, everyone is happy.
Which still comes to my point, what positives are they bringing? I don't see spending lots on wages and transfers and not performing. It has the opposite effect whereby it effects what the club can do, such as invest in the stadium and such things.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

That’s what I’m talking about. The influence of G Neville. His set the seed now those influenced by him will follow and take it further.

The Glazers out movement WAS never before demonised or viewed negatively. In fact even journalist emphasised with the cause. But now since Neville used the term “Whingers” people influenced by authority / status will follow suite and the language will become more derogatory.. now we have “cretin” used by an apparent United fan to describe a group that voice opposition to the Glazers.

That’s my point about Neville. His used his influence to subtle shift things.

red thru&thru

That’s what I’m talking about. The influence of G Neville. His set the seed now those influenced by him will follow and take it further.

The Glazers out movement WAS never before demonised or viewed negatively. In fact even journalist emphasised with the cause. But now since Neville used the term “Whingers” people influenced by authority / status will follow suite and the language will become more derogatory.. now we have “cretin” used by an apparent United fan to describe a group that voice opposition to the Glazers.

That’s my point about Neville. His used his influence to subtle shift things.
Whether you like him or not, Neville is very influential amongst United fans.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Whether you like him or not, Neville is very influential amongst United fans.
I’m just highlighting what and how his done his subtle “influencing” move and the fact that it’s most probably due to the fact that he’s hotel now depends on the Glazers.

red thru&thru

I’m just highlighting what and how his done his subtle “influencing” move and the fact that it’s most probably due to the fact that he’s hotel now depends on the Glazers.
No I know you were. Sorry if it seemed like I was having a pop at you.

I'm not too sure how much relationship the Glazers and Hotel Football have but I have seen a couple of people mention this.

GBBQ

Which still comes to my point, what positives are they bringing? I don't see spending lots on wages and transfers and not performing. It has the opposite effect whereby it effects what the club can do, such as invest in the stadium and such things.
But thats the positive they are bringing, a lot of money, more than most clubs. Its an inherent, unfair advantage that United have had since the inception of the Premier League and its something that most clubs would envy. We hold the top 3 positions on the most expensive transfers in EPL history all bought under the Glazer and Ed's reign of terror. In isolation its a good thing that we are one of the highest spenders in the league because it shows that the Glazers are, in theory, making enough funds available to compete.

Obviously the major downside is HOW we are spending it and thats what they need to work on. There's more than enough money to compete we just need to have the right structure to bring in the right players. Spend big when we have to but also be looking at the quality of player that Liverpool managed to bring in on the relative cheap. Players who are committed to a cause/project and not an ex galactico with an inflated ego.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
But thats the positive they are bringing, a lot of money, more than most clubs. Its an inherent, unfair advantage that United have had since the inception of the Premier League and its something that most clubs would envy. We hold the top 3 positions on the most expensive transfers in EPL history all bought under the Glazer and Ed's reign of terror. In isolation its a good thing that we are one of the highest spenders in the league because it shows that the Glazers are, in theory, making enough funds available to compete.

Obviously the major downside is HOW we are spending it and thats what they need to work on. There's more than enough money to compete we just need to have the right structure to bring in the right players. Spend big when we have to but also be looking at the quality of player that Liverpool managed to bring in on the relative cheap. Players who are committed to a cause/project and not an ex galactico with an inflated ego.
Man Utd were the richest club in the world in 2000, and have always been in the top 1-3 position for revenue over the past 25 years. Before the Glazers Man Utd was the only debt free club.

So I really don’t get it. The Glazers simply continued our natural growth inline with the overall growth of football.. if the Glazers had done something amazing there’d be a huge difference % gap between us and Real Madrid, but in reality the revenues are similar to early 2000s

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Calling people who protest the Glazers whiners is attributing negativity to it and discouraging it... that’s my opinion
Ye but he didn't say that - again you are just making things up

Since you refuse to actually post any quotes that you disagree with, I'll take that as confirmation that you agree with everything Neville says here

This thread should be locked or at least have a change of title

red thru&thru

In isolation maybe yes but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Like I say, no point having a big spend and being out of contention for the top honours.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Ye but he didn't say that - again you are just making things up

Since you refuse to actually post any quotes that you disagree with, I'll take that as confirmation that you agree with everything Neville says here

This thread should be locked or at least have a change of title
I have quoted. Since you haven’t quoted anything I take that to mean that you have no logical rebuttal other then fallacies.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
To be honest, what he's said is enough to make any decent person consider giving up football altogether. The sport is run by wealth-hoarding, human rights-abusing billionaires and there's not a thing we can do to stop them except walk away from the sport.

To be honest, what he's said is enough to make any decent person consider giving up football altogether. The sport is run by wealth-hoarding, human rights-abusing billionaires and there's not a thing we can do to stop them except walk away from the sport.
Fans need to start their own clubs, like FC. It's not easy but it's the only way

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

It's worrying that so many can't understand the 'cretin' comments. Those people on Twitter are not fans of the club and come across as spoiled. They are embarrassing.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Neville lying about the Glazers Out movement and its motive

All of a sudden in 2006 to 2012, where we were getting to three in four Champions League finals, and winning trophies, it went quiet

Why would he lie about the movement and try to imply the fans went quiet during glory years? Imagine how stupid Neville must think people are to lie about dates and think people will read it and not realise he’s full of bs.

He even said something implying the anti glazed protest being strong during Arsenal Invincible’s wtf

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I have quoted. Since you haven’t quoted anything I take that to mean that you have no logical rebuttal other then fallacies.
Nope - 3 times I asked you to post any quote you disagreed with, 3 times you came up with nothing apart from making up things Neville hasn't said because you fell for the tabloid bullshit

red thru&thru

It's worrying that so many can't understand the 'cretin' comments. Those people on Twitter are not fans of the club and come across as spoiled. They are embarrassing.
I don't think you can call them not fans of the club. I'm pretty sure they make up the 1 billion fans that Ed likes to account for. So they have just as much of an opinion as yours.

GBBQ

Man Utd were the richest club in the world in 2000, and have always been in the top 1-3 position for revenue over the past 25 years. Before the Glazers Man Utd was the only debt free club.

So I really don’t get it. The Glazers simply continued our natural growth inline with the overall growth of football.. if the Glazers had done something amazing there’d be a huge difference % gap between us and Real Madrid, but in reality the revenues are similar to early 2000s
I don't disagree with anything you have said (and my post acknowledged that we had an unfair advantage when it came to money since the early 90s) but I am talking about transfer and wage spend as opposed to revenue. The money the Glazers have made available and the net spend of the club are the second highest in the league. On that metric alone the Glazers are outperforming most other club owners. So I would say that the issue isn't down to transfer budget but down to the footballing structure and how we are picking managers and players. That to me is infinitely more fixable than penny pinching owners. So to that end I agree that the Glazers aren't the best but they are far from the worst as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...but I'm still to see/read what good contribution the Glazers and Ed have made since taking over?!
The owners? Money. People will say they haven't contributed enough of that either - or that it isn't "their" money. But the plain truth lies in the figures. We have only been outspent on wages and transfers by a tiny handful of clubs - especially in the post-SAF era.

Woodward? Nothing that I'm aware of (and certainly nothing which has born any fruits thus far on the football side).

A focused, dedicated "Woodward out" campaign would make more sense than this #glazersout lark. He's someone who can be replaced, or demoted, or whatever is considered preferable. Putting pressure on the owners to modernize the structure is an idea I could get behind - whether it's likely to succeed or not is another matter, but it would make some sense.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't think you can call them not fans of the club. I'm pretty sure they make up the 1 billion fans that Ed likes to account for. So they have just as much of an opinion as yours.
Because they don't act in any way how 'fans' of a club should act. They are not supportive, they don't look for the positives or identify with the ethos of Manchester United. For them, the club might as well be a Gucci belt or a brand new car, the club is a status symbol.

clarkydaz

Eve of this season Gary Neville said Manchester United would win the league again before Liverpool. Gary Neville really needs to stop talking so much

red thru&thru

The owners? Money. People will say they haven't contributed enough of that either - or that it isn't "their" money. But the plain truth lies in the figures. We have only been outspent on wages and transfers by a tiny handful of clubs - especially in the post-SAF era.

Woodward? Nothing that I'm aware of (and certainly nothing which has born any fruits thus far on the football side).

A focused, dedicated "Woodward out" campaign would make more sense than this #glazersout lark. He's someone who can be replaced, or demoted, or whatever is considered preferable. Putting pressure on the owners to modernize the structure is an idea I could get behind - whether it's likely to succeed or not is another matter, but it would make some sense.
Yea, I see exactly what you saying. I'd rather get rid of Ed and be replaced somebody more competent. Glazers however do need to invest more in the stadium.

red thru&thru

Because they don't act in any way how 'fans' of a club should act. They are not supportive, they don't look for the positives or identify with the ethos of Manchester United. For them, the club might as well be a Gucci belt or a brand new car, the club is a status symbol.
Interesting subject on how to support the club. How would you say you support the club more in line with the ethos of Manchester United? By the way, this is not a dig at you or anything like that, it's a subject I'm quite interested and know how it differs to my view.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Interesting subject on how to support the club. How would you say you support the club more in line with the ethos of Manchester United? By the way, this is not a dig at you or anything like that, it's a subject I'm quite interested and know how it differs to my view.
a) Primarily by going to games and supporting the team at OT

b) By being patient and positive towards our players.

c) By avoiding the use of vitriolic statements towards our players on social media.

d) Ensuring to look at issues in a multi faceted way. Not just jumping on a hashtag because it appeals to my base senses as a supporter.

red thru&thru

a) Primarily by going to games and supporting the team at OT

b) By being patient and positive towards our players.

c) By avoiding the use of vitriolic statements towards our players on social media.

d) Ensuring to look at issues in a multi faceted way. Not just jumping on a hashtag because it appeals to my base senses as a supporter.
Whole heartedly agree on A B & C.It is the bare minimum fans should do. But I refer to these people, like you and I as supporters.

D is a hard one to answer because it depends about the topic in hand. But if I was to talk about Glazers and Ed, my main negative points have pretty much started more and less about a year or so ago, but highlighted even more after the appointment of Ole. I have been very patient and hoped they would make some changes for us to compete again. Basically, my patience with them have run out, and in my eyes, rightly so. It would have to take years to build that up again.

Alabaster Codify7

I'd love to see Neville's response to those brilliant retorts on Twitter above.

Which is it Gary?
A) you weren't paying any attention to the fans of the club you love while you were playing there?

B) you a selective memory?

C) your hotel depends on Glazer approval so now you're in bed with the enemy and have turned to the other side?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'd love to see Neville's response to those brilliant retorts on Twitter above.

Which is it Gary?
A) you weren't paying any attention to the fans of the club you love while you were playing there?

B) you a selective memory?

C) your hotel depends on Glazer approval so now you're in bed with the enemy and have turned to the other side?
Is C) true?