Neville confirms what we knew all along

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Yeah sorry it's a bit hysterical for me. A few will go in the Summer, the rest will likely fall in line if we get a proper long-term manager in.
Falling in line is one thing however its the sheer lack of quality in some of them that is a major issue.
No manager is making Fred and McTom the midfield we need.
Luke Shaw is what he is - Maguire too.

Its not all about the Lingards of this world being disruptive.

AFC NimbleThumb

People can’t wait to blame Pogba despite zero evidence.
I know we often come across as apologists for the man but exactly.

Posters in here saying it’ll be Pogba/Raiola when the agent has a history of saying what he likes directly to the foreign press. This has coddled English contingent written all over it, since when has Raiola or Pogba for that matter dealt with the English rags. Whenever Pogba has spoken out it’s come via foreign outlets.

We’ll never ‘know’ but I highly doubt people that converse with Neville would be the same as Pogba, that would be a rather 2-faced journalist covered in teflon.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I read Neville's comments as more of a warning to the leaker than anything else. If you keep talking to the press, I'll reveal who you are - I'm sure it will come up on Sky.

Castia

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The Rio, Vidic, Evra axis seriously undermined Moyes's whole tenure.
Yep and it still annoys me that the 2013/2014 teams performance gets swept under the carpet while Moyes takes practically all of the blame.
Sure, Moyes was eventually out of his depth but the Fergie boys acted like entitled d*cks.

gica_7

I understand the reaction to Neville not naming names and rightly so. But if he knows the names there is no way the club does not. The majority of the suspects have been at this club for years and the club has done nothing to get rid of them. If anything, most of them were given undeserved new contracts just because Woodward had this idiotic "keeping the value of the asset" mentality. We have been buying players for years and years but nothing is changing and maybe that's the reason. We do not have enough characters to deal with these issues. Whoever comes, he also gels into this culture.

We have to get this next appointment right. Whoever it might be, he has to be brave enough to stop this nonsense.

Withnail

Falling in line is one thing however its the sheer lack of quality in some of them that is a major issue.
No manager is making Fred and McTom the midfield we need.
Luke Shaw is what he is - Maguire too.

Its not all about the Lingards of this world being disruptive.
Ok, I was speaking purely about the OP and in relation to this latest rant by Gary about the leaks etc.

Although, my point still stands imo. The new man will bring in additional players and can decide who will suit him and who won't. As far as I'm concerned the four you've listed are capable of playing a part in a top squad.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sure, Moyes was eventually out of his depth but the Fergie boys acted like entitled d*cks.
I personally think it would've ended in tears anyway - but keeping Rene and Phelan around in their old roles might have made the above less of an issue.

Might have: the argument obviously hinges on Rene and Phelan being on Moyes' side 100% (which they probably wouldn't have been - so there you go).

To be clear - I have never been in the "should've kept the backroom staff" camp as such.

But it was clearly easier for veterans to take the piss out of Moyes with Fergie's two main lieutenants gone along with the great man himself.

DevTheRed

I have no doubt that there is something in this. Has to be down to recruitment over the last few years, it’s one thing bringing in quality, but you need quality players with the right personality and commitment.

Clearly there are players in the club who think they are bigger than the club, which would’ve never happened under Sir Alex, and they need weeding out. I’m all for naming and shaming, this season is write off and I’m all for sacrificing the rest season for a clean slate next year.

I’ve never disliked a United squad as much as this one, 75% of the squad are honestly despicable.

Rolaholic

People can’t wait to blame Pogba despite zero evidence.
To be expected, there hasn't been a more despised player by the fanbase in my lifetime so logic rarely enters the equation when he's discussed. Just incessant bile

gica_7

I have no doubt that there is something in this. Has to be down to recruitment over the last few years, it’s one thing bringing in quality, but you need quality players with the right personality and commitment.
Exactly. When the team has the right mentality, it boosts the performances of the likes of Fred etc. Sir Alex won the league with the likes of Cleverleys, Büttners. This team has fantastically talented players, maybe the best since 2008, but we can't pull this together because of mentality issues like these.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I personally think it would've ended in tears anyway - but keeping Rene and Phelan around in their old roles might have made the above less of an issue.

Might have: the argument obviously hinges on Rene and Phelan being on Moyes' side 100% (which they probably wouldn't have been - so there you go).

To be clear - I have never been in the "should've kept the backroom staff" camp as such.

But it was clearly easier for veterans to take the piss out of Moyes with Fergie's two main lieutenants gone along with the great man himself.
Like you, I think the backroom staff situation gets alittle over played as a excuse for the team failing that season but it may have taken alittle heat from Moyes if a couple of individuals stayed on. But, Moyes brought in experienced guys himself. Now, sure they hadn't achieved great success but I think they warranted abit of respect themselves. Moyes did make Everton a solid PL side who, lets be honest, we usually struggled against consistently.

The seeds of 'player power' were planted that season, no doubt about it though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Man utd bit starts at 15:38

Take a pick:
-lingard
-maguire
-henderson
-shaw
-rashford
There’s no one on that list that I’d be bothered about if they left, though we’d need some forwards (Cavani going, Ronaldo maybe too)

If they went, the money we got for Rashford would partially offset the HUGE amount we’d lose on Maguire… not my money and the message it would send out would be worth it. We can’t keep making the same mistakes, we need to be brave and do whatever is needed to break the cycle.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Player power is never a good thing - as in never. It doesn't matter who the manager - or head coach, or whatever - is. That person has to be the boss, has to have absolute authority. If he struggles with that, someone above him has a decision to make: does he struggle because he isn't good enough/strong enough - or does he struggle because he's being undermined by certain players in a way that goes beyond standard discontent or anything a leader should be able to deal with? If it's the former, he needs replacing - if it's the latter, those players need a serious intervention from upper management.

Our players have absolutely nothing going for them in terms of credentials - as United players. They have been part of a very underwhelming team. Nobody will miss a single one of them if they're fecked off right now as part of a culling/rebuild. That should be the starting point for anyone who is, in any shape or form, undermining Ralf.

(As in, that is what the likes of Murtough and Fletcher should tell them: you don't decide anything around here, you're not irreplaceable in the slightest - in fact, you have pretty much everything to prove, etc.).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The seeds of 'player power' were planted that season, no doubt about it though.
That could be - yes. The contrast between Fergie and...post-Fergie is extremely stark.

Neville's remark about his experience as a fresh Sky pundit is pretty telling in that regard: the Napoli story. He was shocked - because (obviously) what he witnessed simply wouldn't have happened under Fergie.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You think Gary Neville goes on television and says this stuff based on social media stuff that's made up?

He says in the clip that he's in the room when Sky journalists are getting this stuff and his colleagues are passing it to him. Do we think Gary has resorted to lying to boost the views on Sky's social media content?

As I said, there have been rumours around for a long while. Nobody has to believe it. All I'd say is every single player at Man Utd loves themselves more than they love the club and the fans. We'd all do well to remember that.
Which is a pretty healthy thing. They have no reason to love the club or fans more than themselves. The fans will turn on them at the first opportunity and the club will ditch them when it suits his interests. I will never understand that line of thinking.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ok, I was speaking purely about the OP and in relation to this latest rant by Gary about the leaks etc.

Although, my point still stands imo. The new man will bring in additional players and can decide who will suit him and who won't. As far as I'm concerned the four you've listed are capable of playing a part in a top squad.
If they were squad players and not first 11 lads then maybe - but as such to be dining at the top table we need better players

crossy1686

career ending
Who are they?
Most likely the players who have been jumping on social media to defend themselves whenever the manager says something slightly negative about them, or the ones that have publicly asked for a move and want another big contract instead of ending up at bottom half PL teams.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The abbreviated version is up:

Flying high

Why is Gary protecting them if he is so disgusted, so adamant, so convinced these people are causing detriment to the club? Gary seems to have a lot to say without really putting himself out there, which is disappointing.
Because there are different levels and types of leaks. Some may do it constantly, others only once or twice. Some of the complaints may even have some valid reason to be aired in public. It's not like the club is well run.

So does Neville know ALL of the ins and outs? I doubt any of this is coming directly to him, so can he prove it if he makes specific claims?

The same goes for the people in the club who care about trying to stop this sort of thing. When these leaks are coming from friends, family or agents it all becomes very difficult. You'd better be damn sure before accusing someone directly. Even then, I doubt the money men who control the club would want to lose a fortune from having to either sack a player or sell them off cheap. Even when the level of leak should probably warrant such action.

With each new manager we hope for this to be resolved. But it's clear that there needs to be more assistance from the club. The culture is set from the top. The whole football world knows that United is run by money men, for money men.

red4ever 79

Exactly. When the team has the right mentality, it boosts the performances of the likes of Fred etc. Sir Alex won the league with the likes of Cleverleys, Büttners. This team has fantastically talented players, maybe the best since 2008, but we can't pull this together because of mentality issues like these.
Sorry? Who are these players? We have at best 4/5 what I would call top players
De Gea, Varane, Bruno, Pogba and Ronaldo

hobbers

Rashford
Martial
Lingard
Pogba
Shaw
Maguire
Bailly
Henderson

Gary doesn't need to name and shame, we know all the leakers and the ones giving briefings to protect themselves are in the above group. Some just have agents who are quite open with the press like Martial and Pogba, others are the weasels leaking team news and briefing against their own coaches.

Maguire's family do a lot of it and it says everything that our supposed captain is one of the biggest culprits for having a rampant PR machine and being desperate to protect his own image.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rashford
Martial
Lingard
Pogba
Shaw
Maguire
Bailly
Henderson

Gary doesn't need to name and shame, we know all the leakers and the ones giving briefings to protect themselves are in the above group. Some just have agents who are quite open with the press like Martial and Pogba, others are the weasels leaking team news and briefing against their own coaches.

Maguire's family do a lot of it and it says everything that our supposed captain is one of the biggest culprits for having a rampant PR machine and being desperate to protect his own image.
There is no way its not a British player. If it wasn’t, Gary would have dropped the hint.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
United need to get rid of some of the more tenured players who act like they own the place despite disappointing more often than not.

I think the newer players can still contribute to the squad, but players like Shaw and Bailly should be shipped off. They have had years here and haven’t been dependable enough.

I think that if we move on…

Pogba
Lingard
Bailly
Shaw
Matic
Jones

I think the supposed leaks would stop and we could start to rebuild a squad with the talent and dedication necessary to be at United.

We have seen Shaw give “outspoken” interviews after games (almost arrogantly in my opinion), Lingard provoking in a West Ham Instagram picture and Jones mumbling about the manager while sitting in the stand.

They don’t contribute enough, so get rid and give the new manager a fresh start without having to deal with them.

It’s a big summer, but an LB, CB, CM and CF should be a doable summer to really back a new boss.

devilo

My money's on those that persistently talk with their hands in front of their mouths.

I mean what exactly could they be saying that needs hiding from view all of the time unless they're constantly behaving like weasels?

Lentwood

It is quite clear, it fuels fans agenda. Dislike player = leaking to the press.
I'd say this is true unfortunately. There's one poster I had a (quite civil) back and forth with about Maguire over the weekend and yes, we'll have to agree to disagree about his abilities as a footballer (I'm quite happy siding with Pep, Jose, Southgate and Solskjaer on this one :D)

However, now I see that same person is all over this thread criticising Maguire and flagging him as being a likely source of the leaks.

Let's just take our thoughts about a player's footballing ability out of it for one second - why, what possible motive, would Maguire have? And, how risky would it be?! Why would you risk the captaincy to have a bit of a grumble about training in the press? In fact, if your the captain, why wouldn't you just ask for a quick meeting with the boss and say "listen, some of the lads have a couple of gripes about x,y,z'

Honestly, it's coming across like I'm defending him on every thread but I would be shocked, flabbergasted, if Maguire is involved. It makes no sense at all.

Irwin99

I'd like to see the names come out at the end of the season when there's nothing left to play for and maybe burn the bridges there and then. Nev probably thinks it would be more disruptive to hint at those that are doing it right now and it would only make things more difficult for the manager. It sucks that this has been going on for so long though.

romufc

I'd say this is true unfortunately. There's one poster I had a (quite civil) back and forth with about Maguire over the weekend and yes, we'll have to agree to disagree about his abilities as a footballer (I'm quite happy siding with Pep, Jose, Southgate and Solskjaer on this one :D)

However, now I see that same person is all over this thread criticising Maguire and flagging him as being a likely source of the leaks.

Let's just take our thoughts about a player's footballing ability out of it for one second - why, what possible motive, would Maguire have? And, how risky would it be?! Why would you risk the captaincy to have a bit of a grumble about training in the press? In fact, if your the captain, why wouldn't you just ask for a quick meeting with the boss and say "listen, some of the lads have a couple of gripes about x,y,z'

Honestly, it's coming across like I'm defending him on every thread but I would be shocked, flabbergasted, if Maguire is involved. It makes no sense at all.
See this where people get it wrong, I can understand when fans discuss the players ability and performances but some on here take it wayyy over the top.

I have seen people blame Maguire alone if we dont finish top 4. Blame Maguire if leaks come out.

What motive would he have? Also training is hard but I am pretty sure for the attackers because they are being told to defend. From Maguire's point of view he should be happy really, more people defending = better defensive performances.

stoinz

I disagree that majority of our players are unlikeable. It just a case of a minority spoiling it for the rest of the group. The usual names that keep cropping up are Lingard, Baily, Henderson, Magguire, Shaw, Rashford and Pogba. Assuming all of them are bad eggs, that's just 7. Hardly a majority.

What about the other players? Just unfair on the rest of them going about their work. .

Also I don't think Pogba is amongst the players leaking, Riaolo pretty much says whatever he wants to whomever anyway, doesn't need to leak anything.

Withnail

If they were squad players and not first 11 lads then maybe - but as such to be dining at the top table we need better players
By that logic we don't need to sell them all which is what I was saying. Yes we need upgrades (badly in some areas) and to move on the bad apples but it's just seems a bit reactionary to say wholesale changes are needed.

NickSantigo

If (a big if) what Neville is saying is true, then this is the beauty of Ralf moving upstairs.

He can identify which players are trouble, poor trainers, poor attitude, never going to cut it, etc. and we move them on

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This is like one of those murder mysteries where every single person is a credible suspect. Like every murder mystery it needs a good twist at the end.

It’s Fergie. Fergie is the saboteur.
It’s obviously the tea lady. It’s always a tea lady.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If (a big if) what Neville is saying is true, then this is the beauty of Ralf moving upstairs.

He can identify which players are trouble, poor trainers, poor attitude, never going to cut it, etc. and we move them on
Ralf is not moving upstairs. We need to get past this idea. Manchester United has given him a two year consultancy. That may mean anything from him being available to advise full time to he has a monthly or quarterly catch up with John Murtough. What it does not mean is that he will have any real role within the Man Utd structure. Manchester United has never indicated that Ralf was going to be a director of any sort or any thing. The fact Manchester United is briefing that it will hire a deputy director of football, despite Rangnick's consultancy, should put into focus that Ralf is not going to be a big part of the future unless something monumental changes.

Rashford
Martial
Lingard
Pogba
Shaw
Maguire
Bailly
Henderson

This gentleman may well be on to something.

Although I would exclude Pogba from the criticism of Ralf. Most of the reports around Pogba have indicated he's actually quite happy with Ralf's training. Julien Laurens, who is supposedly quite close to his camp, was saying that there's a good understanding there. Although Laurens has been keen to add that will have zero impact on whether Pogba chooses to stay or leave United. I would be inclined to swap Pogba's name out of this list for another fan favourite.

mancan92

It is quite clear, it fuels fans agenda. Dislike player = leaking to the press.
It's far more logical that those english players are leaking to the press. Listen to what Neville said its clear its coming from a contingent who have very good relationships with the English media. That would likely players who would have British teams.