New coach and other backroom changes

redshaw

Sounds like a decent appointment and has good connections working with south American players

RedDevil@84

Wow. Did Woodward negotiate this deal too?
Underwhelming signings are his bread and butter

I know jacks**t about the new guys

pascell

Hopefully Michael Clegg is as good of a strength and conditioning coach as his dad was for us.

Nothing to back up my theory, but i always felt our players were not as well conditioned after Mick Clegg left.
There was an article about him when he joined a few months ago, which was very complimentary and those around him think he's every bit as good as his dad at the job.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It remains to be seen what impact he has on the team but IMO a more experienced head alongside Ole would've been a better bet considering our current setup has very little experience.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Good Heavens! We have now become a laughing stock. How on Earth can someone like that bring any positive experience in football?
We are Manchester United and not some small club in Norway.
I believe this is the new plan.
For the last 20 years we thought of ourselves as a big club. A powerful club. A club which strives to win trophies and crush the opposition. This hasn't been working too well recently, so now, we must aim smaller. We must hire a less decorated manager, buy players from local teams (rather than Galacticos), and recruit backroom staff from teams no one has heard of. We also need to extend contracts for players who would struggle to get a contract with a team at the bottom of our league. This helps us save even more money, because otherwise we'd need to pay a transfer fee for the replacement.

By introducing these measures, we can increase our profits and in turn make the major shareholders, richer. Our CEO, vice chairman, or whatever he wants to call himself, needs his bonus for this year and to achieve this, money saving measures are mandatory. All in all, I fully support our business and hope we make more profit this year, than we have thus far.

I know that some fans prefer good results on the pitch (and winning matches), but I prefer good 'financial results'. After MCFC and LFC have got bored of winning those useless EPL and CL trophies, they will soon realise that winning the financial battle and helping those who own and run the club get richer, is far more satisfying.

Zlatattack

I think we need more black coaches. We have quite a few black players in the senior squad (10 i think), yet i don't think we have a single black member of the coaching staff. Evra seems interested, maybe we should sign him up?

Matst1

I believe this is the new plan.
For the last 20 years we thought of ourselves as a big club. A powerful club. A club which strives to win trophies and crush the opposition. This hasn't been working too well recently, so now, we must aim smaller. We must hire a less decorated manager, buy players from local teams (rather than Galacticos), and recruit backroom staff from teams no one has heard of. We also need to extend contracts for players who would struggle to get a contract with a team at the bottom of our league. This helps us save even more money, because otherwise we'd need to pay a transfer fee for the replacement.

By introducing these measures, we can increase our profits and in turn make the major shareholders, richer. Our CEO, vice chairman, or whatever he wants to call himself, needs his bonus for this year and to achieve this, money saving measures are mandatory. All in all, I fully support our business and hope we make more profit this year, than we have thus far.

I know that some fans prefer good results on the pitch (and winning matches), but I prefer good 'financial results'. After MCFC and LFC have got bored of winning those useless EPL and CL trophies, they will soon realise that winning the financial battle and helping those who own and run the club get richer, is far more satisfying.
Wow. To think someone put the time and effort into a post like this. Welcome to red cafe, 2019.

AneRu

His list of former clubs looks underwhelming but he has great qualifications and sometimes all a person needs is an opportunity for him to show what he can do. You never know with these things, it could turn out to be a a masterstroke.

red thru&thru

His list of former clubs looks underwhelming but he has great qualifications and sometimes all a person needs is an opportunity for him to show what he can do. You never know with these things, it could turn out to be a a masterstroke.
I'm not saying he couldn't do the job. I'd like a young British man to come and do the job. My concern is him being allowed to do it. He would need complete control of the footballing side, Ed just will not allow this.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Hopefully De Gea's form improves now Alvarez has left, he has gone downhill ever since he joined.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Get his opportunity somewhere else. Just like everyone else in most professions.

We're not a charity hiring someone by virtue of we dont know whether you're good or bad, but here... take a chance

AneRu

Get his opportunity somewhere else. Just like everyone else in most professions.

We're not a charity hiring someone by virtue of we dont know whether you're good or bad, but here... take a chance
But we don't know the process that brought him in and what he is supposed to bring to the table. The rest is just guesswork and conjecture.

TrustInOle

I'd like to think the people who make the decision and do the recruitment and interviews ect, are on the right path now. Although underwhelming, the fact there is a reshuffle behind the scenes must show some sort of plan is being put in place, and the guys being hired have something to offer in their roles.
If the plan this season is to begin a rebuild completley, that will put us back on a path towards having some sort of philosophy, and having the structure in place to uphold that regardless who the manager is, then the recruitment weve seen recently could mean the club is heading in the right track, even if right now the Team isnt, but thats another thread.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'd like to think the people who make the decision and do the recruitment and interviews ect, are on the right path now. Although underwhelming, the fact there is a reshuffle behind the scenes must show some sort of plan is being put in place, and the guys being hired have something to offer in their roles.
If the plan this season is to begin a rebuild completley, that will put us back on a path towards having some sort of philosophy, and having the structure in place to uphold that regardless who the manager is, then the recruitment weve seen recently could mean the club is heading in the right track, even if right now the Team isnt, but thats another thread.
I'd rather a safe hands of veteran coach from established european league.

We poach a coach from bahrain.

Seriously? The guy's cv is underwhelming, he has no business coaching united.

Nothing personal against the guy. But i doubt ole knew him in person and knew his ideas. Somehow i wonder where in the world did we get to scout a coach from bahrain of all places

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But we don't know the process that brought him in and what he is supposed to bring to the table. The rest is just guesswork and conjecture.
Just logic.

He's an unknown guy, makes you wonder what sort of criteria they're using for employment. The man doesnt stand out for anything you'd be hardpressed to find him without actual effort. But somehow we know he got potentials... seems fishy to me

TrustInOle

I'd rather a safe hands of veteran coach from established european league.

We poach a coach from bahrain.

Seriously? The guy's cv is underwhelming, he has no business coaching united.

Nothing personal against the guy. But i doubt ole knew him in person and knew his ideas. Somehow i wonder where in the world did we get to scout a coach from bahrain of all places
I understand where you're coming from and agree to an extent, but with where we are as a club right now, and our future, isn't exactly an appealing place to come, which makes it that much worse.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Naturally most of the posts slate his appointment, despite nobody even knowing who he is.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I mean there's not much to be excited about on the face of it but the posts here are ridiculously cynical.

Eriku

Looks like people will have opinion on everything no matter if they know the exact role each of them play in the background.

Rene is talked as the best coach we had in last 10-20 years and before joining ManUtd, he was managing Qatar U18s, Al-Saad going by wiki. Then he was appointed as ManUtd youth coach who was promoted to first team.

In the article it's also mentioned he is Sports scientist, who are those great sports scientist at other clubs? Or how many great coaches we know from other clubs?

Mike Phelan was assistant manager for SAF who won leagues so easily, now Phelan is the assistant manager under Ole who is struggling. Does that make Phelan great assistant for winning leagues or poor on for struggling in the league?

Answer is no one knows. Don't see why ManUtd fans can't wait to write everyone off (without knowing what's their role) just because we are struggling in the league. Wonder if this is the case at any other club, where people start to blame everyone from tea lady to coaching staff.
Absolutely. Moronic twats who feel the need to make snap judgements on everything, especially if it can be used to reinforce their agendas.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Absolutely. Moronic twats who feel the need to make snap judgements on everything, especially if it can be used to reinforce their agendas.
I think it's only natural to expect cynicism from a fanbase that has shown incredible patience over a period of 6/7 years now.

Patience bordering on naivety in many cases.

Calling people 'moronic twats', is both needless and spiteful, so have a word with yourself.

No-one's heard of these coaches - they've achieved very little and are coming from nothing clubs, as with Ole and Phelan themselves, and it's September... why weren't they brought in over the Summer...?

But hopefully they come in and help OGS turn the poor form he's presided over around.

Eriku

I think it's only natural to expect cynicism from a fanbase that has shown incredible patience over a period of 6/7 years now.

Patience bordering on naivety in many cases.

Calling people 'moronic twats', is both needless and spiteful, so have a word with yourself.

No-one's heard of these coaches - they've achieved very little and are coming from nothing clubs, as with Ole and Phelan themselves, and it's September... why weren't they brought in over the Summer...?

But hopefully they come in and help OGS turn the poor form he's presided over around.
It’s such reactionary nonsense that I’ll stick to my slur, thank you very much. It’s far more well-reasoned than anybody’s knee-jerk reaction to this appointment.

For the record, me and others have been incredibly patient with the OTT nonsense that’s making the United portion of the forum an absolute dung heap.

Last edited:

Pavl3n

I think we need more black coaches. We have quite a few black players in the senior squad (10 i think), yet i don't think we have a single black member of the coaching staff. Evra seems interested, maybe we should sign him up?
:confused:
Why does it matter what race are the staff?
On top of all Evra is part of the coaching staff.

This whole race division is so moronic.

Sir Scott McToMinay

We need a green coach, we’ll call him “booger”.
The feck is this post?

Zlatattack

:confused:
Why does it matter what race are the staff?
On top of all Evra is part of the coaching staff.

This whole race division is so moronic.
We need a green coach, we’ll call him “booger”.
The feck is this post?
The race thing is relevant. It's important for people to have role models. Someone from a similar background could build an understanding others might not be able to. These are young men without a lot of worldly experience.

Boneli

Lots of reports are linking us with Celtic’s physio, Tim Williamson.

Having gone full muppet and stalked him on LinkedIn, he seems to have lots of experience, with spells at Spurs, Leeds, Birmingham, and the national team.

At least we are looking at changes in the medical department, because our injury record is a joke!