New contract for Young confirmed

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Couple this with the Jones contract and the strategy starts to become clear. Of the players in your squad, five have Premier League winners medals (De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Young) and you've just signed three of them to new deals in the last two months, regardless of their standing in the squad and ability to play regularly and take you to the level required. Solskjaer hasn't been publicly confirmed as your new long-term manager but these kind of decisions make it obvious to me that you've got the band back together behind the scenes and are interested in retaining what's left of Ferguson's squad.
I reckon this made a lot more sense in your head.

Logically speaking, Jones would still be worth decent money so it made sense to sign him up. Smalling's our 2nd best CB after Lindelof (on current form) he's also the most experienced. Young we needed for one more year to give Dalot more time to grow into his role, don't think it's anything to do with "getting the band back together".

stubie

With recent announcements I'd say Rojo, Darmian and Valencia will be sold this summer

Bola

With recent announcements I'd say Rojo, Darmian and Valencia will be sold this summer
That would be my hope, along with Mata.

Young has done more than enough to deserve his extension and barring an injury, has the legs to be a useful matchday squad player (mainly rotating)

Kostov

Personally I'm not half as bothered by this contrary to the Phil Jones contract extension. Mainly because of the length of the contract, it's a sensible move, and we can still move him in the summer if we please for a small amount.

Devil may care

With both Darmian and Valencia leaving it's only normal that he stays for another year. We can still bring in another RB.
Truth is with all the money the club generates we shouldn't need to keep old has-beens on for cover, we should be going out and getting prime quality for what we need.

Adamsk7

He gives everything for the club, knows what it’s like to win and seems like a great ambassador and personality in the dressing room too. Nothing not to like, one year suits all parties. Anyone saying we should let a player of his experience who can cover probably four positions to at least a decent level, leave for nothing, is an idiot.

Do I think we need to get a first choice RB in? Yep. Do I think it’s our most critical area of recruitment? No chance. Young and Dalot would be fine so long as the positions that really need improving are improved.

I’d say we haven’t had a top right back since Gary Neville and we’ve got by.

Reactions: Penna

onemanarmy

Truth is with all the money the club generates we shouldn't need to keep old has-beens on for cover, we should be going out and getting prime quality for what we need.
Sanchez, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Fred, Micky, Depay were all players we thought would improve us big time and cost lots of money. Sadly it didn't work out for any of those (Sanchez and Fred remains to be seen). If we had invested that amount of money in players that actually worked out, we probably wouldn't have this discussion. We have invested a lot, but got little return.

Even if we are rich, we can't go out and buy 5-6 key players in one season. We need to improve RB, CB, RW, get a backup or starter for LB, get a backup for CM etc. It will take a few transfer windows to fix that. In that case, it's wise to keep the likes of Young.

Darmian, Rojo, Valencia and Mata are leaving I think, with Fellaini already in China.

Devil may care

Sanchez, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Fred, Micky, Depay were all players we thought would improve us big time and cost lots of money. Sadly it didn't work out for any of those (Sanchez and Fred remains to be seen). If we had invested that amount of money in players that actually worked out, we probably wouldn't have this discussion. We have invested a lot, but got little return.

Even if we are rich, we can't go out and buy 5-6 key players in one season. We need to improve RB, CB, RW, get a backup or starter for LB, get a backup for CM etc. It will take a few transfer windows to fix that. In that case, it's wise to keep the likes of Young.

Darmian, Rojo, Valencia and Mata are leaving I think, with Fellaini already in China.
There have been transfer mistakes no doubt but the fact remains we do have the money if what we made was plowed solely into the team and not divvy'd out into the pockets of the Glazers and share holders, but we are constantly having to taper our spending to feed these succubuses which is why we keep having to retain players like Young who aren't good enough. At the end of the day though this will only bother me if we don't buy a proper RB in the summer and just use Young as a back-up, if he's starting with the Captain's armband next season it'll be a big mistake IMO.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
His ability to play both sides makes this well worth as well as the fact he wont kick up a fuss if he doesn't start all the time.

R'hllor

I wouldnt extend his contract but as long i dont have to watch him waving his arms whole 90 min, while clearly playing opposition player onside for that one year. We need first choice RB asap.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
He's a great professional and gives his all. But going into next season with him as first choice RB hopefully wont happen.

AndyJ1985

If we are still lining up next season with Young Jones and Smalling that's when these contract extensions become an issue for me

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think that's very possible, we'll be looking to move those three on.

One year for Smashley is fine by me. He'll play his part next year on and off the field but he shouldn't be in our first XI next year.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure why so many people hate on Young. I'm hard pressed to find many better FB's in the league. Amazing how we love to underrate our own players. Especially the ones who have been around for a long time...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Good decision.
No way we can afford to upgrade right-back, get a proper midfielder or two, a right-wing & possibly a high-class CB in the summer. Right-back is at least something that can be improved by a talent improving, and Young is a decent rotation-alternative for both right-back and left-back.

Anyone else think he’s actually better defensively than he is going forward? He’s an intelligent defender, and the only issues I can think of come when he’s caught out up the pitch.
He's a shocking defender for a club of our stature. Always gets caught out by a runner and a bit weak in the challenge when he does get there. Despite the lack of crossing ability at least he does get up the pitch and attempt something, unlike his predecessor.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good thing. If we sign a RB, he will be cover for Shaw. Otherwise, he will share the RB duties with Dalot (and hopefully Dalot makes the position his own by this time next year).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm not sure if our fullbacks are limited or if there is a dearth of half decent options out there, it happens, there is similarly less supply than demand for defensive midfielders.

Maybe pep was onto something when he paid fortunes for reliable options on the market.

Tiber

I get it. But if we have any title aspirations then he can only be a squad player next year

Nikelesh Reddy

Nice,makes perfect sense....Since Valencia might leave this summer,it makes perfect sense to hang on to Ashley for another year.His experience and his ability to play well in both full back positions will definitely help next season...

JMack1234

I don't mind Young as a squad player so i'm not too annoyed about this. Still, we cannot seriously be going into another season with him as one of our first choice options at full-back.

peridigm

Good decision. Dalot will get more chances and grow into a starter. Besides, even if we do sign a starting RB next season, Young is a better backup to anyone else we currently have in that position.