New contract for Young confirmed

Kapardin

If we sign a RB in the summer (bin Valencia, keep Dalot as understudy), I don't mind going into next season with Shaw and Young as FBs. I suppose it's too much to ask the Glazers to be like City and sign 4 FBs in one go considering Shaw isn't all that either.

Romez

Blew my mind so many people were happy with this at the time.

Chairman Steve

Luckily it’s a one year deal and hopefully he’s just a bench option/emergency use only player and not a starter. I think I’d have a brain aneurysm if the latter happened.

I don’t like it but I’ll accept it since Darmian, Rojo and Valencia are all likely to get fecked off and we can’t cull that many players who play that position.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Good decision.
No way we can afford to upgrade right-back, get a proper midfielder or two, a right-wing & possibly a high-class CB in the summer. Right-back is at least something that can be improved by a talent improving, and Young is a decent rotation-alternative for both right-back and left-back.
You fecking idiot.

Sp00ks11

Its decisions like this why we are SO far behind the worlds top clubs. We never learn our lessons though and it will be more of the same for years to come..

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This aged well.
He’s been shite for a while, but he’s taken a massive slide even since he signed his extension. I stand by what I said at the time, but it’s definitely time he was sold.

AndyJ1985

The sad thing about these stupid mistakes we keep making is so many of us can see we're making a mistake long before the club realise they've made a mistake. This is a pattern that has been ongoing for 6 years

SuperiorXI

Come up against World Class opposition and your deficiencies become obvious. In both games he has been at fault for goals. Not his fault, he just isn't the quality we require.

It's blatantly obvious to everyone now.

Tarrou

decisions like this are forced by the fact we have so many positions in desperate need of reinforcement

the plan was obviously to keep him as back up, but feck me he looks absolutely shot now

Mal donaghy

I cannot stand the way a squad player under fergie 6/7 years back is now our 33 year old club captain, and a right back to boot!! Feck me the ineptitude is astounding, he wouldnt get a game at none of the top 5 teams 100%fact.

Seij

Luckily it’s a one year deal and hopefully he’s just a bench option/emergency use only player and not a starter. I think I’d have a brain aneurysm if the latter happened.

I don’t like it but I’ll accept it since Darmian, Rojo and Valencia are all likely to get fecked off and we can’t cull that many players who play that position.
City got rid of Kolarov, Clichy, Zabaleta, Sagna, and brought in Mendy, Walker, Danilo in the same window. We can and need to be decisive.

In Rainbows

We hand out extensions way too freely.
Those same veterans end up giving us inconsistent crap performances, meanwhile they block young talents from playing as their experience is preferable to that of an inconsistent youngster.

Depressing

ti vu

Those same veterans end up giving us inconsistent crap performances, meanwhile they block young talents from playing as their experience is preferable to that of an inconsistent youngster.

Depressing
But please jot blame the managers. They ain't given enough money to fill all the position via transfer, but the expectation to meet bare minimum, even improve from last season means they can't always gamble on flooding youngsters into the team with no plan.

R'hllor

Makes sense bois, Page one is not even worth to comment on, Christ almighty...

Suedesi

We hand out extensions way too freely.
That’s what happens when you’ve got accountants running the club and not football men. An accountant has to amortize the book value of the contract on the balance sheet, so by handing out extensions he’s smoothing the PnL. A football man would take one good look at Ashley Young, thank him for his services and send him packing.

Eddy_JukeZ

That’s what happens when you’ve got accountants running the club and not football men. An accountant has to amortize the book value of the contract on the balance sheet, so by handing out extensions he’s smoothing the PnL. A football man would take one good look at Ashley Young, thank him for his services and send him packing.
It's embarrassing that Woodward still has any say for footballing decisions at the club.

PaulRich

He's hit his Gary Neville moment, only Gary realized it and did the honorable thing....................over to you Ashley.

Hawks2008

Some real disgraceful comments here I'm disappointed. His legacy of eating bird shit should be respected :nono: :mad:

el3mel

Is there any better evidence on how clueless we're as a football club ?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Some real disgraceful comments here I'm disappointed. His legacy of eating bird shit should be respected :nono: :mad:
Says it all that was my favourite moment of him being a United player.

Waynne

It's probably been repeated a million times by now but we ain't winning feck all with Woodward calling the shots. Not. A. Damn. Thing. And it pisses me off no end.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The thing is we are likely to lose Darmian, Rojo and potentially Bailly this summer and Dalot is better further up the pitch so it does make sense to renew his contract. Next year he can become a bit part player like Darmian and Bailly this year. The problem is that we have so many average full backs that we can’t let them all go otherwise it’ll eat up a massive chunk of our budget.

The Mad Manc

Come up against World Class opposition and your deficiencies become obvious. In both games he has been at fault for goals. Not his fault, he just isn't the quality we require.

It's blatantly obvious to everyone now.
Why the feck does he keep getting selected then? I'm 100% behind Ole but seriously have to question that decision

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why the feck does he keep getting selected then? I'm 100% behind Ole but seriously have to question that decision
Because Dalot, Rojo, Valencia, Bailly and Darmian are worse.

Rojo played the other day and fecked up against West Ham.

Bailly has literally the worst performance I’ve ever seen against PSG.

Dalot again struggled massively in defence v West Ham.

Darmian has been abysmal for what seems like a decade.

Valencia is apparently injured.

Raw

I'm fine with it. With Darmian and Valencia probably leaving, it makes sense to keep him as depth.

He shouldn't be first choice next season however.
:nervous:

Honestly though back then he wasn't as god awful as he is now, just average. Right now I'd rather see him fecked off but that's not happening, so he better not be first choice next season. I hope he's nowhere near the squad.

laughtersassassin

Feels good to be right about how shite he is but feels shite knowing most rathered keep the likes of him than Pogba.

Also it is more likely we lose players like Pogba and De Gea than any of the shit ones like Young.

Worst Captain in our history, Worst run club in the world in truth.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Barca had a player that was as bad as him they wouldn't give him a new contract would they?

We will never be back I'd we keep rewarding abject failure.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Only other option was Dalot. Personally would have chosen Dalot over him but it'a down to Ole to make the big decisions and he'll have his reasons.
Regardless if he had reasons, I think we can all say they were not justified after that performance. I'm all for defending Ole, but that particular decision needs to just be called out for what it was- a bad one, and we all move on from it.

MadMike

Calm your tetas. It's only a 1-year extension.

Presumably we'll sign another RB and next year he'll be the option of last resort. I don't think anyone wants to be going into this summer having to buy 2 fullbacks, on top of all the other areas where we need to strengthen.

Nickosaur

It's a difficult one, because his level has dropped so signifcantly in recent weeks. I still think at the time of the extension it was a good move to keep him around. Not to be starting week in, week out, but a utility player who can cover several positions.

His absolute dive in form means the contract renewal looks fecking moronic.

Hughie77

1 year hopefully, but I'd just get rid, he's finished at this level, poor last night, poor game before.