Gaming New Daily Doddle

Duafc

Village Lemon
Up to 49th after a strong 70 today.

Interested to know everyone's strategies.

Today I hit Cutey, Inn, Caw, Dot and Yon, all letters used no swaps iirc.

Red Stone

Dreadful day today, but somehow made it to 1st and 2nd.

Last edited:

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm back up to 5th. I had a couple of low scoring days and its taken a week to displace those scores so my average is back up - I dropped to the 30s. Anyone else find this? Is it annoying or do you accept it as part of the challenge?? Any suggestions either way? Spend some coins to remove a score maybe?

Big Andy

Bloke
I'm back up to 5th. I had a couple of low scoring days and its taken a week to displace those scores so my average is back up - I dropped to the 30s. Anyone else find this? Is it annoying or do you accept it as part of the challenge?? Any suggestions either way? Spend some coins to remove a score maybe?
I was 113 last week, back up to 34 now. I'm buzzing as a managed to get the word ANAL in today.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Yeah I'm not sure I'm in love with the seven day scoring... I can't seem to breach the top 50, usually score 50-70 but occasional shit days.

Perhaps duel scores? So a daily rank and a 7 day rank?

MancFanFromManc

Daily rank is a really good idea. I removed the individual high score because it was looking too cluttered though, so I'll see how it looks. Maybe add a new row for "extra stats"

Also, when you do have a shit scoring day, its nice when that goes to the first position on the graph cos you know you're about to replace it, meaning you'll shoot up the leaderboard...

Red Stone

My 7 day average is 82 and Sadz is still ahead of me. I doff the proverbial to you, Sir. That's some solid playing!

Yes, I've had to use some gems on shit days as damage control. Some days it feels like I get nothing but Fs and Ks.

Red Stone

Good scoring that RS. I've just dropped to 10th as I've lost a 93 (which I was very happy with!)
Do you have access to the highest scores ever? I scored a 107 in incognito with one grey vowel, which cost me 10 points, as it prevented me from doubling up two 4pt letters as well. As far as I can work out it's possible to score over at least 120, without counting the bonus points for playing five days in a row. It would be interesting to know what the all-time highest score is.

Red Stone

Something ain't right here. Laptop at the top, phone at the bottom. Why isn't the phone ranked higher when the average is 8pts higher?

Duafc

Village Lemon

Something ain't right here. Laptop at the top, phone at the bottom. Why isn't the phone ranked higher when the average is 8pts higher?
Explain to me how these scores are consistently possible.

Red Stone

Explain to me how these scores are consistently possible.
Good strategy for when I get good letters, a shitload of gems for when I don't. When gems were introduced I had more 8000. I've used more than half of them at this point.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Good strategy for when I get good letters, a shitload of gems for when I don't. When gems were introduced I had more 8000. I've used more than half of them at this point.
It's godly! I get 60s and 70s about half the time but can equally do a 30 or 40 if it doesn't work out letters wise.

Red Stone

It's godly! I get 60s and 70s about half the time but can equally do a 30 or 40 if it doesn't work out letters wise.

First game in incognito, just to show my layout. I try to put my letters in these spots every time, thinking of the middle 3x3 as the primary grid, creating six overlapping words that start and end with consonants and have a vowel in the middle (I failed at the bottom this time with 'mee', bad luck with the last letter), and then the five remaining letters in the top left corner can either add to the middle box (as with 'cove' in this game) or be their own three letter words.

Beyond that, it's about knowing how to maximize the probability of making a word, for example a lot of three-letter words start with L and S, but not many end with them, so they go top left of the box, and there are other consonants that are easier to use than others at the end of words. A lot of four letter words end with E, so putting E in the middle of the bottom row and right column makes it easy to build those words. It also helps to know where it's easiest to double up the 6pt letters like F, W and Y, as well as the high-value letters like J, K, V, Z and X. F works at the start of words, or in the middle of the grid ('for', 'fit', 'safe', 'rife') and W and Y both work in the same places (bottom left or top right, where my M and R are in the picture above) for combos like 'raw' and 'wet'/'ray' and ''yet'. I like putting J top left and going for 'job', 'jot', 'jaw', 'jar' or 'jam', for example, while K, V and Z are perfect for the middle of the grid, for words like 'laze', 'cove', 'size' 'bike', 'rave' or 'duke'. X is best bottom right for 'sax', 'mix', sex', 'vex' and so on. I've also done a lot of experimenting with Q to find good ways to use it, since it's worth a whopping 12 points. A doubled-up Q is 36 points on its own, when counting the other letters in the word as well, and there are a few words out there that don't require you to put a U behind it (but I'm keeping those a secret ;)), so it isn't actually that hard to score with, especially if it shows up early.

By playing the odds like that most letters will have a use, regardless of what they are, so it eliminates a lot of the "bad luck" because instead of needing a specific letter, you're building words where any one of a bunch of letters will do the trick. If you have '-at', you can use B, C, E, F, G, H, M, N, P, R, V, W and probably a few more as the first letter and score points. The odds of getting a letter that works increases enormously, whereas if you have '-uy' you need G or B or you're fecked. The big issue is when there's a massive imbalance between vowels and consonants, or when the game throws multiple difficult letters at you and you have to start putting them outside of the squares they work in. I got three Zs in one game recently, for example. Impossible...

Duafc

Village Lemon
Makes a lotta sense. This is even more impressive than @Damien cheating at waffle.

MancFanFromManc

Do you have access to the highest scores ever? I scored a 107 in incognito with one grey vowel, which cost me 10 points, as it prevented me from doubling up two 4pt letters as well. As far as I can work out it's possible to score over at least 120, without counting the bonus points for playing five days in a row. It would be interesting to know what the all-time highest score is.
Individual scores are held locally we dont actually know what the highest of all time is. I might add a catch to track it in future though

I'll try and work this out. If you have a 4 x 4 grid with something like AXED in the middle and a LAZY mixed in there you might be able to beat 120?!?

MancFanFromManc

It isnt a straight total over 7 days divided by 7. We factor in the total points of the 14 tiles you get, so if you get a Q but dont use it, your average will be decreased even if you scored high. This gives people kudos for scoring high when they dont get high scoring letters but major kudos when they do manage to use those rarer tiles...

Loving the feedback and info you put together for us, great work :D

Last edited:

Duafc

Village Lemon
What do you think of the 4 and 5 letter bonuses ???

ps. Jib is in the dictionary and havent had any other examples of valid words not scoring?!? :confused:
I've had a few that I googled after and were scrabble accepted or in the dictionary and didn't score, will enter any in here as can't remember them now!

I like it as I often do a 4 letter word then feel penalized! Scored a strong 92 today with 'stag' and 'taka'.

MancFanFromManc

I've had a few that I googled after and were scrabble accepted or in the dictionary and didn't score, will enter any in here as can't remember them now!

I like it as I often do a 4 letter word then feel penalized! Scored a strong 92 today with 'stag' and 'taka'.
Good effort. We've definitely made it easier to score big, even in the 100s

Thanks and yes please let us know. We use a free a dictionary as we aim to keep it free for all to play but that does mean "some" words are missing (thankfully not too many)

Bobade

Finally I made it to number 1! When is the battle mode coming in to play?

Big Andy

Bloke
Good effort. We've definitely made it easier to score big, even in the 100s

Thanks and yes please let us know. We use a free a dictionary as we aim to keep it free for all to play but that does mean "some" words are missing (thankfully not too many)
Weirdly I managed to get JIB in again the other day and it was a word this time.

MancFanFromManc

Weirdly I managed to get JIB in again the other day and it was a word this time.
I was scratching my head about JIB cos I checked and it is in the dictionary we're using :confused:

The new bonuses for 4 and 5 letter words arent working quite how I'd expect. In theory it should be possible to get really high scores but in reality it leads to getting less *grid points so its kinda balancing out

(*ie. you can score big from a 3 x 3 grid that also using the middle letter twice)

Big Andy

Bloke
I was scratching my head about JIB cos I checked and it is in the dictionary we're using :confused:

The new bonuses for 4 and 5 letter words arent working quite how I'd expect. In theory it should be possible to get really high scores but in reality it leads to getting less *grid points so its kinda balancing out

(*ie. you can score big from a 3 x 3 grid that also using the middle letter twice)
My days of scoring big seem to be over. I had a QU this morning and L L at the end, and I was holding out for an I or an E. I had hardly any diamonds to play with so had to hope for luck, pulled an A so only got QUA.

From 1st in the table to 135th has been a massive fall from grace over the last month or two on my laptop.

I do play on my phone as well and I'm more regular on that, and I'm a reasonable 26th on that one.

Big Andy

Bloke
With regards to the JIB word, I have had in the past where it doesn't register a word at the time you make it (i.e it doesn't go green) but then at the end when scoring it does. But when i saw JIB hadn't gone green I tried to change the I to an O with diamonds and lucked out. I wonder if I'd left it in if it would've caught up with itself.

MancFanFromManc

With regards to the JIB word, I have had in the past where it doesn't register a word at the time you make it (i.e it doesn't go green) but then at the end when scoring it does. But when i saw JIB hadn't gone green I tried to change the I to an O with diamonds and lucked out. I wonder if I'd left it in if it would've caught up with itself.
You're spot on. It does do that sometimes. Top marks Sherlock for solving the mystery :D

Stevondo8

got some low 50’s falling out of the mix over the weekend, would like to think my average should jump a bit as a result.

Stevondo8

Reign of terror is over, needed a 90+ to keep the average up, got a 71.

MancFanFromManc

That will happen Bootsy. Its a price to pay for not making people have to register. We might change that in the future, but for now we want to make it simple for people to just click and play. I play using 4 different names, 2 on my pc on 2 diff browsers and 2 on my phone (android app and browser) and I'd lose them if I changes my phone/pc.

I've made a note though. I might build something that gives users a link code so they can move their accounts to another device