FA Player for Women's Football - FREE streaming for WSL matches - but not in Scandinavia

Dudu

What a fantastic initiative.
1. LIVE MATCHES
Access all 132 Barclays FA Women's Super League matches live and selected FA Women’s Championship games.

2. FREE
Its free to view, just register and watch from the 2nd of September.

3. LIONESSES
Watch match highlights, features and archive from the England Lionesses.

4. HIGHLIGHTS, FEATURES, ARCHIVE
Watch highlights, goals, features and archive matches from domestic and international women’s football.

Most important of all.. it seems it won't be Geo-blocked!

To be launched on Monday, 2nd September 2019. We kick off the WSL with the Manchester Derby on the 7th!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Really pleased with this, we're living temporarily in Cambodia, but used to go and watch the women's football in Bristol a lot with my eldest daughter, when we lived there. I'd forgotten how much fun it could be getting excited about a match with her until the WC started, so to be able to access this will be fantastic.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I put a thread about it in the football forum as well. https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wom...free-streaming-service-for-live-games.449506/

It's a good idea from the FA. The game needs visibility and the advantages in terms of advertising itself (and any potential sponsors) is worth far more than any TV rights money it could realistically attract.

Unfortunately for our fans, our first game of the season is on BT. Which is the one place you can't see it for free. I don't know if MUTV will be allowed to livestream it outside the UK. I doubt the FA will do, setting up geofencing for a handful of matches is a bit of a special interest.

Andersons Dietician

Excellent. The woman’s football was the only reason I haven’t cancelled MUTV yet. Save myself some cash here. Now just got to convince myself to get rid of BT.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A good news, bad news moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49543771

Some money for the WSL from TV rights sales but the app will now be geoblocked in some countries. The deal covers Mexico, Central America, the Dominican Republic, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. The Scandinavian broadcaster is NENT - is that a pay channel? Sky Mexico have the central American deal.

Lightbringer

A good news, bad news moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49543771

Some money for the WSL from TV rights sales but the app will now be geoblocked in some countries. The deal covers Mexico, Central America, the Dominican Republic, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. The Scandinavian broadcaster is NENT - is that a pay channel? Sky Mexico have the central American deal.
Oh, crap. Of course sweden had to be blocked. NENT is partners with Viasat Sport which is the channel in sweden that is going to broadcast the games, but ONLY 50 games from the entire season, not every game. So if I want to see the games I have to subscribe for the whole channel during the entire season and I am not even getting every game, as the rest of the world gets for free. An absolute joke blocking out games Viasat Sport does not even broadcast themselves. I dumped Viasat Sport a few years back because they charge too much.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

The "fantastic" company that broadcasts here in sweden will be airing saturdays derby at 22.00 local time, 6 hours after kickoff, not what I call good service. I hope it will be streamed or something.

AndyMUFC

This is certainly going to be handy. Are the BT and BBC games not included then?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
This is certainly going to be handy. Are the BT and BBC games not included then?
As far as I can tell, it's just the BT match that won't be on the FA player. So tomorrow's game is described as commentary only for the FA player. The BBC game seems to be available via the BBC or the FA player.

https://womenscompetitions.thefa.com/en/Article/fa-womens-super-league-on-tv-060918

Unfortunately, it does look like Scandinavian fans are going to miss out on most of the games, and may be paying for privilege of seeing any of them.

ajay1002

If the FA can allow all top flight women's matches to be shown live in the UK, then they also need to come up with a solution to allow all Premier League matches to be shown live.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If the FA can allow all top flight women's matches to be shown live in the UK, then they also need to come up with a solution to allow all Prmier League matches to be shown live.
Aren't the PL going to eventually take over the running of the women's game. That could be the end of free viewing.

Lightbringer

Have anyone in the geo blocked countries Mexico, Central America, the Dominican Republic, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark tried to watch this behind a VPN via the fa player successfully? Or has the site blocked all VPNs? (I hope this question is not illegal) Thanks!