New Heading Rules for English Football | FA impose limitations to training sessions

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I always found the ones you do when the opposition takes a goal kick or long free kick to be real clangers. Wile E. Coyote anvil / shovel to the head type stuff. Defending or attacking crosses/corners were easier on the old melon.
I do not miss those ones you catch just wrong and get a real stinging buzz for a while after.

Withnail

No, as I understand it there are smaller ones that are specifically designed for protection when heading, unlike Cech's which was basically a helmet protecting his entire skull due to the risks associated with the depressed fracture he received. And I'd only recommend them for training sessions.
Sorry if this has already been answered but what would the helmet actually do?

I may be wrong but my feeling is that even wearing a helmet your head, neck and brain would still be subjected to the same force.

stevoc

No, as I understand it there are smaller ones that are specifically designed for protection when heading, unlike Cech's which was basically a helmet protecting his entire skull due to the risks associated with the depressed fracture he received. And I'd only recommend them for training sessions.
Would you have a picture? I'm interested to see what they look like but can't find them on google.

As I understood it head gear offered little protection as the damage is done by your brain rattling around inside your head from the force of the ball hitting your head. Amateur boxers no longer wear headgear for the same reason.

Ueanuwug

I think this is an interesting discussion to have. Especially after youth players gotten banned up to a certain age and the data seems to be very clear that heading does have long term effects.

The first question then is:
- Do we remove heading completely from football and change the game fundamentally with it? I would find it definitely interesting to see how much different the game would become. But I fear it would make the game less exciting in certain aspects. The question then is if other aspects becoming more interesting would balance that out.
- Alternatively do we find a way to keep the harm to a minimum? Reducing headers from training and such seems to be a bit of a minor solution. Headgears? That may be the best possible way to design headgears that do not limit players, are rather minimal, but also reduce the impact on the brain.

There may be other options to reduce the harm - but I honestly do not see it. I think the first step should be trying to design some form of headgear and try them out in one or two of the lower professional leagues and collect data + feedback from the players. And yes, some people will mock headgears looking stupid - but that really shouldn't be an argument if we talk about the long-term health of the players while trying to keep the game as it currently is.