New kids next season?

Ace of Spades

Too soon to tell, depends on the ins and outs.

But the next ones who might make debuts are Mengi, Mejbri and Devine.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Can we at least expect some cup games for Mejbri? The hype around this kid is growing by the day and by next season he will have expectations the size of Gomes'. For better or worse.
I think we can expect a cup cameo or two.

The hype I find is quite over the top, he’s been good but not dominating matches like those before him which people act like. By the start of next season it’ll have been 6 months since we last saw him though, which is a long time for kids developing at that age. Back in March he was at best ready for a cameo off the bench. How he’s developed physically over the break or how he’s stagnated from not playing, we’ll have to wait and see in August/September. Talents like him can make huge strides in short time.

chris123

Garner feels like the most logical answer before our transfer window. Matic is 33 and can't be expected to play every game next season, so we'll need another DM to fill in for him. A lot will depend on Ole's confidence in a Fred/Pogba or McTominay/Pogba partnership in midfield, but I could at least see him getting extended pitch time in cup games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Garner feels like the most logical answer before our transfer window. Matic is 33 and can't be expected to play every game next season, so we'll need another DM to fill in for him. A lot will depend on Ole's confidence in a Fred/Pogba or McTominay/Pogba partnership in midfield, but I could at least see him getting extended pitch time in cup games.
Too soon for Garner to fill in for Matic. He needs to develop with match time. I can see him on loan. A decent footballing Championship side would suit him. Norwich wouldn't be a bad shout

SoCross

I think Laird will get at least five starts + five-ish appearances off the bench. Pretty much replacing Dalot who I think should go out on loan. That's the most involvement I see of any of the kids next season.

Garner to go on loan too and Hannibal to get some sub appearances in the cup.

rotherham_red

Realistically, Ole will give chances to at least 1-2 kids again next season after the success of Williams and Greenwood this season, not to mention the continued success of rashford and mctominay

Anybody with a good view on the reserve team have any bets? Tuanzebe to feature more, Mengi or Laird? Anybody further forward?
I'd say Mengi and Laird are shoe-ins at this point considering the holes in the squad we're likely to have.

Mejbri maybe towards the end of the season depending on where we are in terms of the league etc.

Above all though, I'm hoping that Axel finally gets some luck wrt to his injuries as I do feel that both he, and Bailly, are the most capable partners for Maguire that we currently have in-house. Their issues are their injuries.

I think the likes of Garner, Chong, and Levitt will be on loan as game time is very much needed for those guys and if it goes well for them on that front, I could see all of them making inroads in to the squad the following season. Garner especially, as I can see him taking over Matic's role long-term.

Adamsk7

I mean we all know Mejbri is the biggest talent in the youth team - right up there with Greenwood in terms of possible impact to our squad. I thought he was 16 but turns out he’s 17 and will be closer to 18 by the time the season starts so I would definitely blood him in cup games and the odd league appearance when we are comfortable.
I was amazed this season with Greenwood’s physical transformation during lockdown and it’s clear that players that are looking like they could break through need training time with the first team squad and time for their bodies to adjust and develop so we should definitely give Mejbri the opportunity.

Garner, depends on the ins and outs IMO. I like the look of him but I think now he needs game time, similar to Chong. If we are light in midfield and don’t get any targets there, I’d keep him around. Otherwise a loan to the championship would do him the world of good.

Laird should get the chance to be a backup fullback if we make no moves in that area.

Don’t really class Tuanzebe as a youth prospect anymore so hope he gets the chance to show his value

georgipep

I think we can expect a cup cameo or two.

The hype I find is quite over the top, he’s been good but not dominating matches like those before him which people act like. By the start of next season it’ll have been 6 months since we last saw him though, which is a long time for kids developing at that age. Back in March he was at best ready for a cameo off the bench. How he’s developed physically over the break or how he’s stagnated from not playing, we’ll have to wait and see in August/September. Talents like him can make huge strides in short time.
Thanks and agree, the hype is probably mostly from people who've only watched YouTube compilation videos of him. And this is not doing him any favours. At least all the kids in the youth teams have great role models in Rashford, McTominay, Williams and Greenwood. Especially Greenwood when it comes to the bulking up and physical aspect of their development.

Untd55

It will be a bit more difficult to give youth players time next season. No Europa League; the Champion's League needs to be taken more seriously at the group stage.

We could do some of the early rounds in the cup, but I think the opportunities are going to be less.

I would like to see a midfielder coming through; we haven't had a proper one for ages. Cleverley doesn't count.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This.
Plus Rashford, those three were three pleasant surprises.

Maybe we can include Januzaj (not sure if there are talks of him breaking into the first team that season) and McNair (but one season wonder).
There was a whole list of one season wonders under LvG - Rashford obviously being his stand out promotion

Januzaj had some hype IIRC so wasn't a complete surprise.

I expected to see more of Gomes and Garner this season - maybe Laird too.

But I've come to expect the unexpected when it comes to youth prospects

Lj82

This.

Maybe we can include Januzaj (not sure if there are talks of him breaking into the first team that season) and McNair (but one season wonder).
Adnan was on the bench for SAF's final game in charge. Would likely have came on if we did not concede that many goals against wba and SAG decided to bring on seasoned players instead. So it's likely that he was on the verge of breaking through

Revan

Assumptionman
This.

Januzaj attended the preseason and as far as I remember, looked decent on it (though Zaha was the best player in preseason). I think that we expected him to play that season, but not to be one of our best players.

lenny_1248

I reckon Laird will become a rotational player like Williams. Garner, Levitt, Kovar, Chong will go on loan. God knows what will happen with Galbraith and Puigmal.
Mengi (if not against LASK), Mejbri and Elanga will make their debuts next season.

I mean we all know Mejbri is the biggest talent in the youth team
Shoretire might have a word. He is one year younger though.

Bojan Djordjic

Every time I see Garner I become more convinced he’s a nailed on first teamer. Just oozes quality and composure.
He looks great at youth level but anytime I've seen him in the senior team, he just seemed to play it a bit too 'safe' and hasn't imposed himself.

Another point and this is a longtime bugbear of mine is that the United academy seems to produce so many absolute waifs with McTominay the clear exception. Garner is an example of this. How come the strength and conditioning guys in the club can't seem to get these athletes fully conditioned for professional sport. Rugby clubs seem to be able to help their teen talents achieve much more extreme physiques so why can't one of the richest football clubs in the world help their young athletes basically not have the physiques of crack addicts.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I think, looking at the way Ole has bought Mason and Brandon through, drop feeding them in, plus as we have to use the seniors to focus on both of the PL and the CL, I think we'll be not sending out as many on loan as people think.

I'd love to see Garner, Laird and Levitt make some progress in the first team, especially Levitt, didn't he complete over 100 passes against Alkmaar?