New Paddy Power advert with Rhodri Giggs

Blatzo

Option A) Your wife cheats on you with your brother for 8 years without you knowing.

Option B) Your wife cheats on you with your brother for 8 years without you knowing and you get paid a large sum of money for joking about it on TV a few years down the line.

A lot of people in this thread saying they'd go with option A...

TsuWave

Turn a major L into a financial W? That’s how you recycle

Don't blame Rhodri for doing this at all, I'd probably do the same if I was in his position and really needed the money (presuming that's why he did it).

I can normally separate the sportsman from the person in these types of situation (Tiger Woods is still my favourite athlete of all-time) but shagging your brother's wife behind his back for 8 damn years is just too much to ignore and seems like the actions of a complete sociopath. Rhodri can mock him as much as he likes as far as I'm concerned.

Also, as much as I loathe John Terry, it's quite incredible that he got far more pronounced and long-term stick for shagging Wayne Bridge's missus than Giggs got for his much greater failings.

Reactions: Fortitude

Blatzo

Don't blame Rhodri for doing this at all, I'd probably do the same if I was in his position and really needed the money (presuming that's why he did it).

I can normally separate the sportsman from the person in these types of situation (Tiger Woods is still my favourite athlete of all-time) but shagging your brother's wife behind his back for 8 damn years is just too much to ignore and seems like the actions of a complete sociopath. Rhodri can mock him as much as he likes as far as I'm concerned.

Also, as much as I loathe John Terry, it's quite incredible that he got far more pronounced and long-term stick for shagging Wayne Bridge's missus than Giggs got for his much greater failings.
JT has a few more items on his rap sheet on top of that to be fair

Red Devil Rising

Can't stand PP or any of their shit banter, such a vile company (even by gambling company standards)

All their ads seem to revolve around winding someone up - pricks

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I am not justifying what ryan did. There is a million post from me condemning it. However i fail to understand how one can capitalise on such a horrible event in his life especially when society was starting to forget all about it. Is money so important for rhodri to pass from that whole ordeal again? After what happened he lost his wife and his brother. All he was left with was dignity . Unfortunately he sold that in a third rated advert
Totally agree

Scholsey2004

The Dirty laundry that Ryan wiped his knob clean with you mean? Everyone and their dog knows what's gone on, it's hardly a secret. One thing I'll say is that this Ad is about 6 years too late.
Personally I would have preferred to keep it behind closed doors.

LARulz

That's great. Only thing I don't get is, didn't he come out in an interview recently to say he wanted to reconnect with his brother? That's not going to help ...

But I don't blame him for doing this. He had his entire life ripped apart by his own brother and, although he did nothing wrong, is probably feeling someone who is the one who is considered the joke. Ryan is out there managing his country, still seemingly respected by many of his peers etc. while he remained relatively silent and got nothing. The fact Ryan apparently has not really tried to make amends makes Rhodri doing this even less surprising.

If he has a chance to make some money out of it then fair play. He has nothing to lose in doing it and everything to gain. Also, I think the fact he is publicly able to make jokes about it now is actually great, shows he's accepted it/moved on a bit from being angry and sad about the whole thing.

Scholsey2004

Mate everyone has known his missus had her backdoors smashed in by his brother for years now. He's just financially profiting of what everyone has known for years :lol:
Yes i m aware of that. Personally I'd have wanted some privacy. Having your personal life dragged into the public arena is embarrassing enough without feeding into it.

LARulz

Yes i m aware of that. Personally I'd have wanted some privacy. Having your personal life dragged into the public arena is embarrassing enough without feeding into it.
What?! He has been relatively quiet for years and I'm sure out in public gets mocked by some absolute idiots as the guys who's brother slept with his wife etc. Now being in a mental place where he can take the piss out of it a bit is actually a great thing rather than let resentment continue to build while his brother, who apparently never really apologised, continues his life as normal/go from strength to strength

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
That was absolutely hilarious :lol:

Also, I don't understand how anyone can begrudge him from profiting off this.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Mate everyone has known his missus had her backdoors smashed in by his brother for years now. He's just financially profiting of what everyone has known for years :lol:
And losing his dignity in the process?

First off, I don't care too much about Giggs' affair with his wife. The fact that it happened says a lot about the utter disregard both parties had for their Rhodri. But they're consenting adults, and I usually don't like to stand on a moral soapbox. So whatever.

But the idea that the years long affair is an indictment on Rhodri, or is enough to make him a laughingstock, is nearly infuriating. He's not an object of ridicule. He is someone who has been embarrassed by 2 people who should have put him ahead of their own libidos, but he has the right to walk out of this with his head high.

But now with this publicity stunt he cedes the right to not be a laughing stock in exchange for some coin. Because no one laughing at this is laughing with him. They're laughing at him. And how his wife slept with his brother behind his back for 8 years, and he, obviously a dumb cuckolded idiot, was too stupid to see it all along, but at least he's a good chap for being in on the joke now, the pathetic loser. That's what they think about him, as they laugh.

Does he have kids? Is the money enough to cede his dignity in the sight of his kids, now and years down the line? Or other family, or friends...

It's just sad all around. Shout-out to Rhodri for completing the triangle of shit. Hope the money is sufficient, can't begrudge him that. Not at this expense though.. jesus

LARulz

And losing his dignity in the process?

First off, I don't care too much about Giggs' affair with his wife. The fact that it happened says a lot about the utter disregard both parties had for their Rhodri. But they're consenting adults, and I usually don't like to stand on a moral soapbox. So whatever.

But the idea that the years long affair is an indictment on Rhodri, or is enough to make him a laughingstock, is nearly infuriating. He's not an object of ridicule. He is someone who has been embarrassed by 2 people who should have put him ahead of their own libidos, but he has the right to walk out of this with his head high.

But now with this publicity stunt he cedes the right to not be a laughing stock in exchange for some coin. Because no one laughing at this is laughing with him. They're laughing at him. And how his wife slept with his brother behind his back for 8 years, and he, obviously a dumb cuckolded idiot, was too stupid to see it all along, but at least he's a good chap for being in on the joke now, the pathetic loser. That's what they think about him, as they laugh.

Does he have kids? Is the money enough to cede his dignity in the sight of his kids, now and years down the line? Or other family, or friends...

It's just sad all around. Shout-out to Rhodri for completing the triangle of shit. Hope the money is sufficient, can't begrudge him that. Not at this expense though.. jesus
Dignity will pay the bills I'm sure.

He kept relatively quiet all these years and got feck all from it. He should be able to get something from this in the end while his brother is continuing his life as if nothing ever happened and seemingly hasn't impacted him really. You say people are laughing at him now, I think (some idiots) were doing that before anyway. Now he's taking the piss out of it a bit, it to me shows a sign of he's got past it (or at least the anger/sadness stage) and making the best out of a situation most people would completely cave in on.

He has to move on and if this helps him then so be it, and if he's been given the chance to earn some coin off it then good for him.

As I said, dignity won't pay his bills. Reminds me of this Kevin Bridges joke:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

He kept relatively quiet all these years and got feck all from it. He should be able to get something from this in the end while his brother is continuing his life as if nothing ever happened and seemingly hasn't impacted him really. You say people are laughing at him now, I think (some idiots) were doing that before anyway. Now he's taking the piss out of it a bit, it to me shows a sign of he's got past it (or at least the anger/sadness stage) and making the best out of a situation most people would completely cave in on.

He has to move on and if this helps him then so be it, and if he's been given the chance to earn some coin off it then good for him.

Of course dignity won't pay the bill's. I'm just hoping he got paid enough that he won't have to whore out his misfortune again.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Nah, there's loads of people watching this who are laughing with him. Probably about 70% of this thread alone just by reading it let alone all the non United supporters watching it.

LARulz

Of course dignity won't pay the bill's. I'm just hoping he got paid enough that he won't have to whore out his misfortune again.
I do agree with that. This should put a line under it in the sense he now no longer has to just be known as the guy who's wife slept with his brother - because that's all he became known for to most people. Maybe now, even if built on the back of it and this advert, he gets to be involved in different things that help people think of him differently and associate him with different things.

If he keeps bringing it up then yes, it's definitely not good for anybody, including him and his kids (if he has any). Get the good publicity from this and reinvent himself by seeing what offers come his way

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

If he can't pay the bills without making himself look ridiculous then no wonder why his wife turned to someone else. Dignity and the moral high ground was the only thing he was left with. He sold that off with that advert

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah, there's loads of people watching this who are laughing with him. Probably about 70% of this thread alone just by reading it let alone all the non United supporters watching it.
Yep. It didn't occur to me that anyone would be laughing at him (or indeed criticising him in any way) until I read through this thread.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It was Paddy Power's idea and what they do is banter. Rhodri decided he was fine being a pawn in that because, you know, fancy cars and shit. And based on the response in here I'd say PP achieved their goal of giving footy fans a bit of banter to laugh about. Every aspect of which is tragic from my perspective.
Fair enough, you're probably right. PP are the titans of cringe usually.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What other person do you know that was cuckolded by a famous brother and then offered money to take the piss out of that brother?
:lol:
That was quite good.

As a rule, if your brother sleeps with your wife you're free to take as many shots at him as you like for as long as you like.
Exactly. Ryan's lucky the barbs are only 'jokes' people get killed for less.

It was Paddy Power's idea and what they do is banter. Rhodri decided he was fine being a pawn in that because, you know, fancy cars and shit. And based on the response in here I'd say PP achieved their goal of giving footy fans a bit of banter to laugh about. Every aspect of which is tragic from my perspective.
That's an interesting angle to take on this. A pawn? Who's to say the idea wasn't presented to him and then he decided to add in as many digs as he could? The manifestation of so much hurt, anger and distress being released through comedy could well be a catharsis for Rhodri; to assume this is all coming from PP and that Rhodri just went along with it mindlessly for a quick buck isn't a just conclusion, imo.

Every aspect of what Ryan and Natasha did to him is tragic, who knows where his head has been at and what he's gone through in processing that in the intervening years. Just because Rhodri wasn't publicly emoting, it doesn't mean he hasn't already been shattered by this as it is a life-altering set of events he may never recover from. He may be lashing out, he may be able to laugh at it or he may just be profiting from a dire situation that has had a profound impact on his life to this day; as far as Rhodri is concerned, the tragedy may have been relived for almost a decade now and what happens thereafter is different kettle of fish.

If this is Ryan's comeuppance from his brother, he got off lightly. I'd also say this advert isn't just been seen as a bit of banter as the underlying messages throughout are being thoroughly dissected and place the magnified lens straight at Ryan through a burning sun - the light laughs are interspersed with a very harsh look at Ryan and the most impressionable satire is that which cuts to the bone, which I think this has succeeded in doing.

This advert can be analysed in a way most that are on TV cannot, it has more substance to it than we usually get in a 30 second attention grab.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
:lol:
Exactly. Ryan's lucky the barbs are only 'jokes' people get killed for less.

That's an interesting angle to take on this. A pawn? Who's to say the idea wasn't presented to him and then he decided to add in as many digs as he could? The manifestation of so much hurt, anger and distress being released through comedy could well be a catharsis for Rhodri; to assume this is all coming from PP and that Rhodri just went along with it mindlessly for a quick buck isn't a just conclusion, imo.

Every aspect of what Ryan and Natasha did to him is tragic, who knows where his head has been at and what he's gone through in processing that in the intervening years. Just because Rhodri wasn't publicly emoting, it doesn't mean he hasn't already been shattered by this as it is a life-altering set of events he may never recover from. He may be lashing out, he may be able to laugh at it or he may just be profiting from a dire situation that has had a profound impact on his life to this day; as far as Rhodri is concerned, the tragedy may have been relived for almost a decade now and what happens thereafter is different kettle of fish.

If this is Ryan's comeuppance from his brother, he got off lightly. I'd also say this advert isn't just been seen as a bit of banter as the underlying messages throughout are being thoroughly dissected and place the magnified lens straight at Ryan through a burning sun - the light laughs are interspersed with a very harsh look at Ryan and the most impressionable satire is that which cuts to the bone, which I think this has succeeded in doing.

This advert can be analysed in a way most that are on TV cannot, it has more substance to it than we usually get in a 30 second attention grab.
Paddy Power were one of my clients for a few years so I just asked one of the guys working there in the marketing team. There was no social commentary angle intended, it's just banter. And taking the piss out of United players is a successful approach purely due the number of people it's relevant to. His impression of Rhodri was very different to yours, is all I'll say.

If it starts a conversation then that's a good thing, certainly. I don't see it doing anything remotely substantive, and the main outcome of it is Rhodri reminding folks of the greatest tragedy in his life, all for a quick buck. Indont see why Ryan would give a feck, he's dealt with much worse. Nothing in here will make him squirm or reflect, IMO.

Boycott

Ryan Giggs is a cretin who has largely been able to get away with it in the football world. This isn't the typical rich bored footballer hiring hookers or having an affair - the guy for EIGHT YEARS was getting on it with his brother's wife / his sister in law / his children's aunt.

The guy deserves to have the public more aware of what a wrong'un he is. He's Wales manager, he wants to be United manager but character matters and this guy stinks.

Brwned

Ryan Giggs is a cretin who has largely been able to get away with it in the football world. This isn't the typical rich bored footballer hiring hookers or having an affair - the guy for EIGHT YEARS was getting on it with his brother's wife / his sister in law / his children's aunt.

The guy deserves to have the public more aware of what a wrong'un he is. He's Wales manager, he wants to be United manager but character matters and this guy stinks.
Anyone who knows Ryan Giggs knows what he did and only a tiny proportion of folks think he's anything less than a scumbag as a result. The people who don't know Ryan Giggs are unlikely to see or understand the ad. It's a simple brand message communicated to footy fans in a simple and relevant way - that's all

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Paddy Power were one of my clients for a few years so I just asked one of the guys working there in the marketing team. There was no social commentary angle intended, it's just banter. And taking the piss out of United players is a successful approach purely due the number of people it's relevant to. His impression of Rhodri was very different to yours, is all I'll say.

If it starts a conversation then that's a good thing, certainly. I don't see it doing anything remotely substantive, and the main outcome of it is Rhodri reminding folks of the greatest tragedy in his life, all for a quick buck. Indont see why Ryan would give a feck, he's dealt with much worse. Nothing in here will make him squirm or reflect, IMO.
Did he have hands on with Rhodri? Did Rhodri have his input or just merely read from a script given to him? As long as your guy has had a direct exchange with Rhodri, he's forming trite opinions from surface impression, don't you think? I should imagine banter and behaviour on set to purposely give off a vibe of taking it all in one's stride, he's a man with pride afterall and it's something we're likely to lean towards in company.

I just don't take it to be as light-hearted and flippant as you're suggesting nor do I believe they've serendipitously stumbled into social commentary. You'd have to know what Rhodri got from the exercise other than monetary recompense to definitively say it's so base as a bit of banter that we laugh at and move on from. This feels like him sticking the boot in his brother as best he can without doing it on the physical plane; when your brother is the revered, untouchable millionaire Ryan Giggs, you're not going to get much chance or opportunity to fire off any shots of substance; this gives lesser Giggs very probably his one proper shot to do a modicum of lasting damage, far more than a 'damning interview' to a story the press pack would have little desire to promote.

Even Giggs doesn't care on a personal level, this isn't a story he wants dragged up on a professional and affecting the public consciousness regarding the 8-year-old incident, so one way or another, it will have as much of an impact as Rhodri can have on his brother.

Brwned

Did he have hands on with Rhodri? Did Rhodri have his input or just merely read from a script given to him? As long as your guy has had a direct exchange with Rhodri, he's forming trite opinions from surface impression, don't you think? I should imagine banter and behaviour on set to purposely give off a vibe of taking it all in one's stride, he's a man with pride afterall and it's something we're likely to lean towards in company.

I just don't take it to be as light-hearted and flippant as you're suggesting nor do I believe they've serendipitously stumbled into social commentary. You'd have to know what Rhodri got from the exercise other than monetary recompense to definitively say it's so base as a bit of banter that we laugh at and move on from. This feels like him sticking the boot in his brother as best he can without doing it on the physical plane; when your brother is the revered, untouchable millionaire Ryan Giggs, you're not going to get much chance or opportunity to fire off any shots of substance; this gives lesser Giggs very probably his one proper shot to do a modicum of lasting damage, far more than a 'damning interview' to a story the press pack would have little desire to promote.

Even Giggs doesn't care on a personal level, this isn't a story he wants dragged up on a professional and affecting the public consciousness regarding the 8-year-old incident, so one way or another, it will have as much of an impact as Rhodri can have on his brother.
No one knows what Rhodri thinks about the whole thing, perhaps not even himself. So yes it's all surface level analysis, whether it's meeting him in person or watching him in an ad. However they do know what the idea was before Rhodri was even asked, they have a good idea of what convinced him to do the ad, and they're not under any illusions over what the intended messages were.

As with any message you put out in the world, different folks will interpret it through their own lens. However this is a message directed at customers, primarily. It's about loyalty schemes not about getting new folks in off the street. And they've got a pretty good idea of who their customers are, what they're most receptive to, etc. Multi layered messaging is not what they do. They could not give a feck about that.

Of course they knew that hinting at a personal issue will lead to some social commentary. However none of the stakeholders involved were interested in that, it's a commercial idea with a bit of self-gratification in the process. Good for him to get that self-gratification but I don't think he'll look back on it as a satisfying decision years later. Except for the money, of course.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Bluemoon's nickname for Giggs still cracks me up. "Family man". :lol: