New penalty rule is ridiculous.

Denis79

Just watched Arsenal re-take a penalty because the Norwich goalkeeper moved 3 centimeters from the line before in was taken. How about just removing the goalkeeper all together at penalties.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought it was retaken because of encroachment?

Regardless, if they were enforcing both consistently it should stop relatively soon. It's not that hard to avoid encroaching or stepping off the line once you know you will be punished for doing so. The problem is when it gets enforced erratically.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just watched Arsenal re-take a penalty because the Norwich goalkeeper moved 3 centimeters from the line before in was taken. How about just removing the goalkeeper all together at penalties.
It wasn't retaken for that, it was because the Norwich player was inside the box before the pen was taken and then he cleared the ball

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That's not why it was retaken. Aarons encroached before it was taken and made an important clearance. The retake makes sense here.

What doesn't make sense is how VAR checks for defenders encroaching but not goalkeepers stepping off their line in the same instance. Both are against the rules and both are advantageous. Why not check both?

Cypherage

Was re-taken due to 4 Norwich players encroaching into the box, correct call, but he had already hit the ball as they went over the line so yeah pretty silly scenario for a pen to be retaken I feel.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's not why it was retaken. Aarons encroached before it was taken and made an important clearance. The retake makes sense here.

What doesn't make sense is how VAR checks for defenders encroaching but not goalkeepers stepping off their line in the same instance. Both are against the rules and both are advantageous. Why not check both?
At a guess I would say the PL were attempting to reduce the use of VAR by having the assistant referee be responsible for making sure the GK is on the line, despite IFAB telling them not to do it that way.

Denis79

I thought it was retaken because of encroachment?

Regardless, if they were enforcing both consistently it should stop relatively soon. It's not that hard to avoid encroaching or stepping off the line once you know you will be punished for doing so. The problem is when it gets enforced erratically.
If it was because of encroachment I''d understand but if the goalkeeper is not allowed to lift his feet from the line before it's taken is just a bit too much for me. Especially in a situation like this.

Why give such an advantage to the taker? The majority of penalties are given in situations that aren't really dangerous. Handball on a cross, rumble in the box etc. Not all are handball saves on the line that merit a goal in return. Probably just me but my age makes me get annoyed at things like theese.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
If it was because of encroachment I''d understand but if the goalkeeper is not allowed to lift his feet from the line before it's taken is just a bit too much for me. Especially in a situation like this.

Why give such an advantage to the taker? The majority of penalties are given in situations that aren't really dangerous. Handball on a cross, rumble in the box etc. Not all are handball saves on the line that merit a goal in return. Probably just me but my age makes me get annoyed at things like theese.
But VAR isn't recalling penalties because of a keeper leaving his line.

prateik

Do not encroach. DO NOT ENCROACH.

Break the rules and hope to get away with it is always a stupid strategy.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Encroachment only becomes a factor if the encroaching player makes a clearance?
Encroachment is encroachment no matter what. If that was the case it would be impossible to encroach on a penalty scored which obviously isn't true.

Both teams encroached so it was retaken. The only issue is refs deciding to apply the rules now and not the 99 other times.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Encroachment is encroachment no matter what. If that was the case it would be impossible to encroach on a penalty scored which obviously isn't true.

Both teams encroached so it was retaken. The only issue is refs deciding to apply the rules now and not the 99 other times.
This, if they do follow their boring rules then ultimately the players would stop doing it or at least would reduce doing it

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55

Penalties, as the name implies, aren't meant to be be fair. They're supposed to give an advantage to the taker.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've always thought this rule was a joke tbh. If a player misses a penalty he shouldn't have a second chance just because one player may have just run into the box. I can understand it more if keeper is out on six yard box when he saves but Krul is far from the worst in that regard.

It was used horribly during the Women's world cup. Thankfully the prem has relented on using VAR to re-do penalties until today.

spiriticon

Shove the rest of them on the halfway line and stop encroachment altogether. I don't think I've seen a single instance where that rule wasn't broken.

Nick7

Goalkeepers must atleast have one foot on the line when the penalty is taken.
Great rule. Shame the referees have yet to enforce it this season.

I've always thought this rule was a joke tbh. If a player misses a penalty he shouldn't have a second chance just because one player may have just run into the box. I can understand it more if keeper is out on six yard box when he saves but Krul is far from the worst in that regard.

It was used horribly during the Women's world cup. Thankfully the prem has relented on using VAR to re-do penalties until today.
Agreed. Encroachment should be an indirect free kick, not a retake unless it’s absolutely egregious and interferes with the attacker or goalkeeper.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Being pulled up on encroachment, OR your keeper coming forward off his line is like in my local press, people moaning at getting ticketed for parking on yellow lines.

"But we've always done it...."

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually thought after seeing Krul dive wrong way one of the Norwich players suddenly speeded up and legged it into the area to try to get the second retaken aswell. :lol:

In a way it's open to abuse a little. Player does a stop start run up, keeper dives early and the ball trickles into the other corner. Plenty of time for players to run in.

limerickcitykid

I actually thought after seeing Krul dive wrong way one of the Norwich players suddenly speeded up and legged it into the area to try to get the second retaken aswell. :lol:

In a way it's open to abuse a little. Player does a stop start run up, keeper dives early and the ball trickles into the other corner. Plenty of time for players to run in.
They aren't called back if they score though.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Where's the limit then ? It's everyone for himself once the ball is kicked not whenever you want in the kicker run-up. Would you take that rule out or change it ? If you change it, how do you change it in a clear manner so that it's respected by everyone ?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Where's the limit then ? It's everyone for himself once the ball is kicked not whenever you want in the kicker run-up. Would you take that rule out or change it ? If you change it, how do you change it in a clear manner so that it's respected by everyone ?
To me having a free shot from 12 yards not off balance or with defenders infront but just a keeper to beat is enough of a reward.

I'd only retake is if keeper is miles off his line (think Dudek in CL final when he was saving them on the six yard box) or if players are level with kicker as obviously that's taking the mick.

limerickcitykid

It's happened a few times. Can remember Lampard having to take three penalties for Chelsea in one game due to enchroachment twice. He scored all three.
Because his teammate must have encroached then. You don't retake after scoring because the opposition encroached. That would make no sense and is explicitly not what the law is.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Had nothing to do with the keeper. The keeper kept one foot on the line up until Aubamayang took his "shot" (I thought our penalties were bad). The retake was because of encroachment from the Norwich players. At least 3 were inside the 18 before the kick and onr of them cleared it which is why it was called. The only difference between last year and this year is that this rule hardly ever gets called, but it did yesterday because of VAR...

arthurka

Nothing against it, problem is with VAR is there is zero consistency. Pen being retaken because players in the box or the keeper stepped off the line then the next match it's not retaken. If I was a keeper I would always try it first as there are no penalties cards or anything is just a retake. But it's seriously lacking consistency.