New unorthodox positions

Oaencha

This thread is probably going to descend into a shipshow but I would be curious to hear some ideas. Individual footballing positions have been changing for the past decade. We’ve gone from the 4-4-2 with wingers, to the interchangeable 4-3-3, to the 5-3-2 with wing backs and holding midfielder. And almost anything in between.

So my question is, what is the next unique position?

We have inverted wing backs, sweeper keepers, strikers who can play across the front three, roaming playmakers who are usually the focal point of creativity.

I’m not saying that any of these will work, but interchangeable centre backs/full backs? Playmakers who can defend and attack? Not box to box but can hover between DM to AM and find holes in the opposition defence without shooting? We could go crazy and have a sweeper keeper go long and have a defensive sweeper and the two centre backs cover. These are probably terrible ideas but I would like to hear more examples.

Side point

Currently, we have problems in centre midfield and right back. I’ve excluded Martial, Lingard and Jones because they offer us nothing.

De Gea/Henderson
Wan-Bissaka (New Player)
Varane/Lindelof
Maguire/Bailly
Shaw/Telles
CM/ McTominay
CM
Fermandes/ Van Der Beek
Pogba/Sancho
Sancho/Diallo (maybe)
Greenwood/ Cavani

Sounds fair. I don’t think Rice is ready. Camavinga is too young. Neves may take up the Carrick mantle but not guaranteed.

We aren’t in a position to sign Kimmich. We have been stung by Schneiderlein so Bissoma is a risk. The only Kanté-esque player is Ndidi and he still wouldn’t work in a midfield two with Pogba.

Rant over. New positions/tactics and a salve for our midfield?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Box to box centreback - CB with the freedom to charge through midfield and attack the opposition box all game long.

It’s got to be someone great in the air, who can attack the balk in both boxes but also has good feet and passing to spread the ball to either wing before he charges forward.

Oaencha

This thread is probably going to descend into a shipshow but I would be curious to hear some ideas. Individual footballing positions have been changing for the past decade. We’ve gone from the 4-4-2 with wingers, to the interchangeable 4-3-3, to the 5-3-2 with wing backs and holding midfielder. And almost anything in between.

So my question is, what is the next unique position?

We have inverted wing backs, sweeper keepers, strikers who can play across the front three, roaming playmakers who are usually the focal point of creativity.

I’m not saying that any of these will work, but interchangeable centre backs/full backs? Playmakers who can defend and attack? Not box to box but can hover between DM to AM and find holes in the opposition defence without shooting? We could go crazy and have a sweeper keeper go long and have a defensive sweeper and the two centre backs cover. These are probably terrible ideas but I would like to hear more examples.

Side point

Currently, we have problems in centre midfield and right back. I’ve excluded Martial, Lingard and Jones because they offer us nothing.

De Gea/Henderson
Wan-Bissaka (New Player)
Varane/Lindelof
Maguire/Bailly
Shaw/Telles
CM/ McTominay
CM
Fermandes/ Van Der Beek
Pogba/Sancho
Sancho/Diallo (maybe)
Greenwood/ Cavani

Sounds fair. I don’t think Rice is ready. Camavinga is too young. Neves may take up the Carrick mantle but not guaranteed.

We aren’t in a position to sign Kimmich. We have been stung by Schneiderlein so Bissoma is a risk. The only Kanté-esque player is Ndidi and he still wouldn’t work in a midfield two with Pogba.

Rant over. New positions/tactics and a salve for our midfield?
Apologies, that was Pogba and Rashford.

Oaencha

Box to box centreback - CB with the freedom to charge through midfield and attack the opposition box all game long.

It’s got to be someone great in the air, who can attack the balk in both boxes but also has good feet and passing to spread the ball to either wing before he charges forward.
I like this. Beckenbauer who has free reign down the middle?

BerryBerryShrew

Isn't that already something that Chris Wilder implemented with Sheffield United? Admittedly with 3 centre backs but still.

Oaencha

I’m encouraging all of the match day fans to dig in here.

Could we have two inverted centre midfields? Shaw as a flippin’ winger? Varane as an an anchor man?

I’m personally Solskjaer in for at least two years. The squad is so much better than Mourinho. Give him a chance.