New Women’s boot design

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The idea that it might help reduce ACL injuries does intrigue me, though reading the article I did wonder if that concept needed a new boot or just a new stud configuration. That said, I think a lot of women and girls will appreciate the shape change. I remember players adding all sorts of rubber pads/inserts to their boots to improve the fit round the heel, and I assume that they're still having to do that now when they wear boy's/men's boots - albeit with more malleable boots now.

It’s logical, but I wouldn’t have thought gender would make a difference in terms of boots.

Australians like making innovative boots don’t they. There was a great article on Johnston and his Predator boot on the BBC this week.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The idea that it might help reduce ACL injuries does intrigue me, though reading the article I did wonder if that concept needed a new boot or just a new stud configuration. That said, I think a lot of women and girls will appreciate the shape change. I remember players adding all sorts of rubber pads/inserts to their boots to improve the fit round the heel, and I assume that they're still having to do that now when they wear boy's/men's boots - albeit with more malleable boots now.
The ACL stuff sounds a bit iffy. Their logic is that women are lighter, so can get away with shorter studs and a longer stud might anchor their foot too much. But you’d have to assume the weight put through the studs also affects how firmly the foot is anchored, so it should all even out in the end.

The reason for the difference in ACL injury incidence is much more likely to be about the strength of the upper leg muscles. The stronger your quads/hammies the more stable the knee joint.

United58

It’s logical, but I wouldn’t have thought gender would make a difference in terms of boots.

Australians like making innovative boots don’t they. There was a great article on Johnston and his Predator boot on the BBC this week.
It would, their bodies are shaped differently with wider hips so I imagine male boots could be slightly awkward on their legs while running/turning

It would, their bodies are shaped differently with wider hips so I imagine male boots could be slightly awkward on their legs while running/turning
just I’ve never thought about it.

i was however really surprised to read most play in men’s or children’s boots. I would have thought there would be some women’s boots, endorsed by Morgan for example.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
just I’ve never thought about it.

i was however really surprised to read most play in men’s or children’s boots. I would have thought there would be some women’s boots, endorsed by Morgan for example.
At a guess I would think a couple of the top players like Morgan will have a special boot fitting done as part of her Nike contract. What doesn't exist is that more general women's off the shelf sizing.

In terms of the practicalities. It's all an averages thing. On average, women have higher arches than men and they'll need the boot to be narrower towards the heel. That used to mean trying to buy the right size for the front of the foot and then messing about with the insoles, heel grips etc to make them fit more snugly at the back. From the sounds of it, that's what they still do (or they wear boots that are too small).

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
i can't help but wonder how much of a meltdown this article would cause on twitter,

will our new Centre Back, Summer Breeze*, be able to get a pair of these, or will she need to stick to her size 12 Adidas World Cup?

Summer Breeze*, formerly Known as Barry ''Big Baz'' Smith, Coach & Horses Players Player of the Year 3 years running.