Gaming New World - MMO developed by Amazon

Tiber

Anyone playing/interested in this new MMO.

I love an MMO. I have played WOW off and on again since Cata and played an awful lot of SWTOR until it went down a single player path. I also love Destiny and have played a fair bit of ESO. But all of these games have been around for a while now; when the quest to find a 'WOW Killer' was alive, new MMOs were coming out all the time - Rift, Wildstar etc crashed and burned pretty quickly. There hasn't been a new, modern MMO (at least a western one) for quite a while - so i'm fairly interested in New World, the fact it isn't an old school hotkey/rotation MMO in the WOW/Everquest style is also a positive.

Its fair to say I am sceptical of Amazon as a developer/publisher, but i'm willing to give it a fair shot . The game is currently in closed Beta for the next week or so. Everyone who pre-orders gets a a beta code and as Amazon don't take payment until release day, you can access the beta for free and cancel if you don't like it. You can also order via Steam, but I assume they take payment upfront.

I jumped into the beta last night and am enjoying it so far.

Give me a shout if anyone else ends up playing

evil_geko

If software is bricking the GPU's that is more the fault of GPU manufacturers than the game, but I think that is patched anyway, at least I was told that yesterday.

Anyway, I played the Beta of New World last year and liked the whole atmosphere of it, even though the gameplay was wonky, and as I see now, it still has a long way to go. I would like to buy and try it, but I don't have much time these days to start a new MMORPG from the beginning. Only one I play at the moment is Guild Wars 2 that I have played for 9 years now, can't be bothered to grind another one from the start, no matter how much I like it.

Marcelinho87

If software is bricking the GPU's that is more the fault of GPU manufacturers than the game, but I think that is patched anyway, at least I was told that yesterday.

Anyway, I played the Beta of New World last year and liked the whole atmosphere of it, even though the gameplay was wonky, and as I see now, it still has a long way to go. I would like to buy and try it, but I don't have much time these days to start a new MMORPG from the beginning. Only one I play at the moment is Guild Wars 2 that I have played for 9 years now, can't be bothered to grind another one from the start, no matter how much I like it.
Not patched but it's a design fault on EVGA cards, they are replacing them I believe.

Anyhow, preordered the game as there is nothing to lose doing so, get the beta key and if I don't like it cancel the preorder.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I gave it a go and found it too difficult to maneuver on the laptop, could buy a mouse but still wasn't convinced by the combat tbh

Tiber

I gave it a go and found it too difficult to maneuver on the laptop, could buy a mouse but still wasn't convinced by the combat tbh
I defiantly wouldn't fancy playing an MMO without a proper mouse - mine has 18 buttons. Hard to say about combat at a low level, but fair it say it wont be for everyone

Castia

Will be playing day 1 (not playing the beta due to FF14)

Looks decent and hopefully keeps me busy for a few months until Endwalker is released in November.

They really need some more end game pve content though to keep people playing

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I defiantly wouldn't fancy playing an MMO without a proper mouse - mine has 18 buttons. Hard to say about combat at a low level, but fair it say it wont be for everyone
Reminds me of the time me and mates tried to beat a "proper gamer" at halo combat evolved.

He smashed us. So we took away his keyboard but let him remap controls to his mouse.

He still won

Tiber

Reminds me of the time me and mates tried to beat a "proper gamer" at halo combat evolved.

He smashed us. So we took away his keyboard but let him remap controls to his mouse.

He still won
Oh im not claiming to be great at PC Games :lol: I just couldn't play anything but football manager on a laptop touchpad

Tiber

Looks like ESO.

What the endgame in this? Raids, PvP or both?
It does have quite a lot in common with ESO.

Yea its usual world bosses, raids etc I believe. Apparently there will be a lot of focus on open world faction based PVP, again a bit like ESO

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It looks decent tbf, but it'd have to be a GOAT to make it worth giving money to Amazon. So I hope it's a massive failure that somehow loses a few hundred billion dollars

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
The 3090 issue was fixed days ago. It was Nvidia's fault because the 3090s were built badly, but the game implemented a frame rate cap at menu which tbh should have been there anyway.

It's decent so far, quite deep, a good mix of survival crafting and gathering, pvp, dark souls lite type combat, mmo type levelling and questing. Open world PVP and ESO type land takeover/fort takeover mechanics and zones owned by factions that can then implement taxation rules and stuff in towns.

There are some highly annoying issues like getting a mission that requires you to both kill and skin a certain animal 3 times, except anyone can loot so if you shoot something and then run to the body, someone else has already looted your kill it's not locked to you for any length of time which makes some of the missions super tedious. Also quite a few of the towns seem to be CTRL C, CTRL V's of each other with the same quests being given out which makes going to different towns feel a bit redundant. The PVP is nice though. The jumping animation is abysmal.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Bought the beta, or pre order to get into beta, the day before we got access.
Love it, looking forward to spending way too much time playing :)

i think the main reason i love it is because i was bored of everything i had, and it's new and fancy.
My company is having a war tomorrow, i think.

trying tome weird, but fun, weapon combo now, warhammer and life staff.
The idea is to be with the melees and support them with stuns from the hammer, and heals.

probably going to be shit, but it's beta, i will try all weapons to find out what i'll main at launch.
Think it'll be musket or bow as the main thing, since i don't think i'll be very good at melee with this combat type.
Maybe later.

Ekeke

If you love the gathering and crafting from survival games such as Rust, New World has a lot for you. Quite in depth in that department

The pve, raids, pvp and combat in general looks lacking

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Watched some Twitch streams of it yesterday and got the impression there's very little PVE involved. All I saw was dudes gathering wood and rocks, running around a ton and selling stuff.

Maybe I was unfortunate with the streams I watched, so is actually killing mobs a big thing like usually in MMOs in this?

Grylte

Watched some Twitch streams of it yesterday and got the impression there's very little PVE involved. All I saw was dudes gathering wood and rocks, running around a ton and selling stuff.

Maybe I was unfortunate with the streams I watched, so is actually killing mobs a big thing like usually in MMOs in this?
The gathering is for quests you get in each settlement (town), it's very good xp and you raise your standing in the zone, which gives you points you can put into more xp, faster gathering, more standing gained, etc.
I have done some of it, but mainly been doing kill quests. There are instances for pve, invasions where you get lootbox from clearing them, etc.

I am guessing that the streamers are trying to get higher level, and the most popular streamers probably get stuff sent to them from their followers, so they can level quicker.

Grylte

Open Beta has launched if anyone is interested
have played a bit, don't want to do too much, just get my fix :lol:
Trying weapons i didn't play in last beta and don't plan to use at launch.

Bosws87

Don't have the time to play an MMO anymore do miss them dearly, some of my best gaming times were hours upon end on Lineage2.

Unfortunately to be at the top pvp competitively on any MMO requires so much free time and PVP was always my pull

evil_geko

I might buy this eventually if I can be competitive without constant grind to keep up. If not, I'll pass.

Grylte

Release tomorrow, i'm ready, have taken the week off :lol:

Ekeke

Seems its very popular on release, 10k queues on some servers.

Having played the alpha/beta I feel like it might have record refunds

MadMike

Big MMO fan with a group of mates who actively play, so we thought we'd give this a try...

Smooth launch :lol:

EDIT: All their servers all like that. I'm not being anal trying the busiest one. How a company that provides infrastructure as a service ran out of infrastructure, is another question

Bosws87

Looks crap tbh, it will have impressive numbers for a while with Twitch (Amazon) pushing it, will keep numbers up for a bit we will see in the long term.

Bosws87

Really? In what department?
Looks like every MMO i've played since early 2000's just a different skin.

I'd much prefer to go back to Lineage 2 then play what i'm watching atm, haven't seen the PVP aspect yet but that's always been what i enjoyed when i had enough time to get invested into mmo's

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Big MMO fan with a group of mates who actively play, so we thought we'd give this a try...

Smooth launch :lol:

EDIT: All their servers all like that. I'm not being anal trying the busiest one. How a company that provides infrastructure as a service ran out of infrastructure, is another question
Not by accident I’m sure. “Look at the demand”.

MadMike

Yeah but how do you mean? You mean appearance-wise, skills, combat, world mechanics?

I think it's hard for any MMO to be completely revolutionary nowadays, it's like expecting a Marvel superhero film to be completely different from others. But having played through the betas, I think it's sufficiently different to be unique and fun. The combat feels new. I think it's the first MMORPG I see with some FPS elements like hitscan weapons where targeting and reaction speed matter.

mitChley

I'd much prefer to go back to Lineage 2 then play what i'm watching atm, haven't seen the PVP aspect yet but that's always been what i enjoyed when i had enough time to get invested into mmo's
I'd tear my eyes out if I went back to Lineage 2.

mitChley

FYI the login server crashed and it took any characters in the queue with it. Literally, characters got deleted.
I think it only took characters who were made, and in the queue to play the game for the first time. So all people lost was the 2 minutes it took them to pick a hair cut.

My character is still there.

MadMike

I think it only took characters who were made, and in the queue to play the game for the first time. So all people lost was the 2 minutes it took them to pick a hair cut.

My character is still there.
Maybe but but even in that case, we're talking about thousands of people waiting in the queue having not only to requeue, but to go back into character creation.

mitChley

Maybe but but even in that case, we're talking about thousands of people waiting in the queue having not only to requeue, but to go back into character creation.
It's launch day of a popular MMO, that's to be expected, not excusable, but expected.

Ekeke

Really? In what department?
Combat
PVP
PVE
Story
Endgame content

Basically everything apart from graphics, theme, crafting and new game hype. You can get those other things from other MMOs apart from the new game hope too. But people may not be aware of those games. For example I've seen some hype over the crafting, people like it. But its no better than Final Fantasy XIV crafting. Probably worse because you get to play a minigame. But its still better than most MMOs for crafting so people might still want to play for that reason.

Anyway, yes login issues are normal for new MMOs and expansions. Same with endgame content. But theres other stuff above on top of the normal and thats where its worrying. Where its all filler and no killer

Back to the queues, its a good start to have a large demand. Maybe a lot more people than I'm expecting will like it and still play after a few weeks. People like different things and may not want to play the alternatives even if they are better.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Yeah I'm struggling to be interested. I think the appeal is more about the gap in the market and stuff like streamer hype over any actual innovation/gameplay aspects.
It does a good job of bringing the good parts of about 7 different games together rather than being forced to pick one game that has A and another game that has B.

MadMike

Combat
PVP
PVE
Story
Endgame content

Basically everything apart from graphics, theme, crafting and new game hype. You can get those other things from other MMOs apart from the new game hope too. But people may not be aware of those games. For example I've seen some hype over the crafting, people like it. But its no better than Final Fantasy XIV crafting. Probably worse because you get to play a minigame. But its still better than most MMOs for crafting so people might still want to play for that reason.

Anyway, yes login issues are normal for new MMOs and expansions. Same with endgame content. But theres other stuff above on top of the normal and thats where its worrying. Where its all filler and no killer

Back to the queues, its a good start to have a large demand. Maybe a lot more people than I'm expecting will like it and still play after a few weeks. People like different things and may not want to play the alternatives even if they are better.
I think both combat and PvP have enough differences from other MMOs to make them unique in my opinion. Like I said, you're in a game genre that's been done a lot and if you're looking for something totally new that doesn't borrow anything from previous games, well then....