Newcastle could be sold to an Arab sheikh

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The more that clubs like city, Chelsea and (assuming both takeovers happen) Newcastle and Leeds get bankrolled by money totally outside of football, the more Europe's traditional giants ('G14 clubs') will want to put pressure on governing bodies to do something about it. If it looks like the governing bodies won't/can't, then at some point it becomes in their interests to say "we don't want to be part of the rich billionaire plaything league, for the integrity of the sport we're breaking away to form a fairer league".
I was just thinking that I can see this happening in like 20 years when the top half of the table is all sugar daddy clubs.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Would round off a hell of a weekend for us after that Charlton result. :lol::lol:

Probably bollocks tbh but it would be nice to see the back of Ashley. If real, as above, I don't expect that financial regulations will be loosened and we'll go on a league buying spree, but maybe we'd actually buy to compete. Would be nice not to just exist just to make up the numbers anymore.

rotherham_red

If true, I could see a European Super League happening sooner rather than later. It's the logical endpoint for them. Whereas before the top 3/4 was pretty much entrenched in England and there wasn't much point for them to be on board while the PL was so lucrative.

The last few years has put paid to that and now it'll be even harder for the same sides to consistently qualify, and will probably mean the likes of us, Arsenal and Liverpool will be chomping at the bit to join. 7, 8, or even 9, with Wolves and Everton potentially being in the mix with their backers, into 4 just doesn't go.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If all these rumours come true, top 4 could be Liverpool, City, Leeds, Newcastle :nervous:

Chipper

Adulterer.
The more that clubs like city, Chelsea and (assuming both takeovers happen) Newcastle and Leeds get bankrolled by money totally outside of football, the more Europe's traditional giants ('G14 clubs') will want to put pressure on governing bodies to do something about it. If it looks like the governing bodies won't/can't, then at some point it becomes in their interests to say "we don't want to be part of the rich billionaire plaything league, for the integrity of the sport we're breaking away to form a fairer league".

Of course the likes of the Glazers and Kroenkes can line their own pockets from a super dominant EPL, but you can't exploit new markets and consumers if you're struggling to finish in the top 6 every season.
Suppose it could go either way then, but my doubt there would be why would people want to watch second tier teams in a super league?

Lebowski

I was just thinking that I can see this happening in like 20 years when the top half of the table is all sugar daddy clubs.
I think it will be far sooner if FIFA / UEFA don't demonstrate to the 'old money' that they are capable of dealing with the situation. Considering the geopolitical connections that state-funded clubs like city and PSG have that's no easy task. We're talking about club owners who operate at the highest levels of world power and apparently have no issues reaching outside of football to the president of France to put pressure on FIFA and UEFA (Mediapart).

'Threaten a breakaway league' has always been the default negotiating position of the G14 clubs to try and get what they want from football's organisational bodies. I would be amazed if they hadn't threatened it on multiple occasions to try and get decisive action against city and PSG. But if both clubs get relatively minor sanctions and the trend of super rich owners continues to encroach on their power, one would assume they will have to make good on that threat and leave.

Wayne's World

The Super League is looming even more larger by the day.....If all these Arabs keep buying football clubs you just know the top clubs are going to react and make something among themselves.

Lebowski

Suppose it could go either way then, but my doubt there would be why would people want to watch second tier teams in a super league?
Well the idea of big clubs would be to capitalise on their current worldwide popularity and create a singular superleague that concentrates all of the viewers and money in football, thus allowing them to attract the top players who will presumably want to play in the 'elite' league for historic clubs in full stadiums with millions of viewers round the world.

They're banking on the fact that the current global popularity of teams like city and PSG is far less than the likes of Arsenal, United, Ajax, Benfica etc despite the obvious gulf in class.

I'm not saying it's an idea I endorse, but I think we might get to the ironic situation where a superleague is pitched as the 'moral' way to save the spirit of football from becoming a playground for bored super-rich owners and states who want a nice PR project.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it's high time nation states get banned from owning football teams. It's a joke.

Renegade

What I don’t understand with the super league idea is no major team is going to want to be finishing bottom of that league as it’ll damage their brand.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think it's high time nation states get banned from owning football teams. It's a joke.
I agree but how will that be prevented? A 'corporation' buying up a sporting entity?

Look at all the ownership 'tests' that have been applied to various clubs in the Championship (ie Blackpool, Notts County etc), nation-states buying up clubs would be the least of our problems. The number of dodgy characters with ill intent was for all to see but nothing was done until they failed financially.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I agree but how will that be prevented? A 'corporation' buying up a sporting entity?

Look at all the ownership 'tests' that have been applied to various clubs in the Championship (ie Blackpool, Notts County etc), nation-states buying up clubs would be the least of our problems. The number of dodgy characters with ill intent was for all to see but nothing was done until they failed financially.
Yeah, it's all a mess. It needs a complete overhaul tbf. But to have nation states owning clubs as PR trophies is just the absolute extreme.

I'm not sure what is the best model, but there need to be minimum requirements across the European game. It's obviously heading in the opposite direction, but I'd like to see something like 51% member ownership, as a minimum.

sglowrider

Yeah, it's all a mess. It needs a complete overhaul tbf. But to have nation states owning clubs as PR trophies is just the absolute extreme.

I'm not sure what is the best model, but there need to be minimum requirements across the European game. It's obviously heading in the opposite direction, but I'd like to see something like 51% member ownership, as a minimum.

The problem is that the horse has already bolted out of the barn. Not sure if any ownership restrictions will survive in the courts.

The key to me will an iterative FFP and the enforcement of it though some may argue that it's unfair as it mainly preserves the status quo.

steeeb

Surely it's against some kind of rule for cousins to own different football clubs? What if they basically become a feeder team or sell/loan players between them on the cheap for FFP etc - surely there's some kind of conflict of interest there?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
If true.. Those Joelinton to NUFC for £50m+ rumors starting to make sense.

sglowrider

Surely it's against some kind of rule for cousins to own different football clubs? What if they basically become a feeder team or sell/loan players between them on the cheap for FFP etc - surely there's some kind of conflict of interest there?
We'll know when they start changing their kit to sky blue bar-codes next season.

Treble

Top 4 in mid 00's, top 6 in mid 10's, top 8 in mid 20's, top 10 by the early 30's. Great for the league, not so great for the established big clubs.

redshaw

What I don’t understand with the super league idea is no major team is going to want to be finishing bottom of that league as it’ll damage their brand.
That would've been the case not so long ago

It might become a better alternative than missing out on this top 4 every other season.

Also if these Arabs still don't buy any clubs in Spain Italy or Germany and the PL becomes even more attractive, the continent will form a super league to rival it.

I'd like these people to buy German Italian or Spanish clubs. Those Leagues need some investment to take on the status quo.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
What kind of money is this fella worth? Or where does he stand in the Royal family?
Well he tried to buy Liverpool for 2 billion, or there abouts, so he certainly isnt looking under the lounge cushions for some spare change.

Bojan11

Well he tried to buy Liverpool for 2 billion, or there abouts, so he certainly isnt looking under the lounge cushions for some spare change.
The rumour is that he didn’t show any proof of funding and it wasn’t really a credible offer. He also needed a Chinese partner which was weird as why not get another Sheikh. Liverpool owners probably would have sold for 2 billion considering they bought the club for £300m if the offer was legitimate.

I doubt this is Mansour type money.

AJ10

Another club I wouldn't care about winning anything just like other lottery clubs but great for their fans.

Nice change from that idiot.

Classical Mechanic

Another club I wouldn't care about winning anything just like other lottery clubs but great for their fans.

Nice change from that idiot.
It appears that he failed to show proof of funds when trying to buy Liverpool recently for £2bn. It doesn't appear that he's as well oiled as his cousin and suggests he's a bit of a chancer.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The worst thing that can happen is these tossers getting bought and then throwing cash around in the market inflating all evaluations.

Kapardin

Anything Abu Dhabi or Dubai is good news for Newcastle supporters. Unlike the Qataris who are more inefficient, UAE rulers and bigwigs are far more ruthless and ambitious. Expect Newcastle to improve greatly if this happens.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
This is why I've lost interest in the game. I still follow it because I'm old enough that I've been following football for decades. But the game means very little to me now. It is absolutely soulless, and arguably it has even gone beyond that, and is to some degree culpable in human rights issues. None of the clubs have any identity now, very few of the big clubs are even partially owned by people resident in the same country, and most other clubs only exist to provide opposition, they can't ever hope to achieve anything.

When Newcastle are owned by the Emirati royal family, apart from the fact that they probably won't change the kit (although this can't be guaranteed!), how can the supporters in any meaningful sense continue to claim that they support Newcastle? Every penny is going straight to the United Arab Emirates, doubtless there will be a playing squad comprised of players who couldn't point to Newcastle on a map. And yet the local press is so desperate for it to happen that they're already trying to sugarcoat this guy.

And you can't really blame them because this is Newcastle's only hope of competing. I heard a journalist on the radio the other day, responding to completely accurate criticism of City. And he acknowledged that it was all accurate, but then also, quite rightly, said that without what has happened at City it would have completely impossible for them to ever compete in a sustained fashion. That's the world we're in now, you either get bought out by a morally dubious oil-rich royal family, or you might as well not bother fulfilling your fixtures.

I don't see how in that context football can mean anything to anyone.

Hulksmash

That would've been the case not so long ago

It might become a better alternative than missing out on this top 4 every other season.

Also if these Arabs still don't buy any clubs in Spain Italy or Germany and the PL becomes even more attractive, the continent will form a super league to rival it.

I'd like these people to buy German Italian or Spanish clubs. Those Leagues need some investment to take on the status quo.
Investment in Spain and Italy don't make sense commercially

Germany isn
This is why I've lost interest in the game. I still follow it because I'm old enough that I've been following football for decades. But the game means very little to me now. It is absolutely soulless, and arguably it has even gone beyond that, and is to some degree culpable in human rights issues. None of the clubs have any identity now, very few of the big clubs are even partially owned by people resident in the same country, and most other clubs only exist to provide opposition, they can't ever hope to achieve anything.

When Newcastle are owned by the Emirati royal family, apart from the fact that they probably won't change the kit (although this can't be guaranteed!), how can the supporters in any meaningful sense continue to claim that they support Newcastle? Every penny is going straight to the United Arab Emirates, doubtless there will be a playing squad comprised of players who couldn't point to Newcastle on a map. And yet the local press is so desperate for it to happen that they're already trying to sugarcoat this guy.

And you can't really blame them because this is Newcastle's only hope of competing. I heard a journalist on the radio the other day, responding to completely accurate criticism of City. And he acknowledged that it was all accurate, but then also, quite rightly, said that without what has happened at City it would have completely impossible for them to ever compete in a sustained fashion. That's the world we're in now, you either get bought out by a morally dubious oil-rich royal family, or you might as well not bother fulfilling your fixtures.

I don't see how in that context football can mean anything to anyone.

This happens because sponsor like adidas, Chevrolet, Nike are pumping insane amount of money into top clubs. Others club can't compete anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treble

New big investments in PL clubs might force the owners of some of the current top 6 clubs to sell to richer and more ambitious guys. Otherwise, if some of them miss out on the CL several years in a row, their market evaluation might suffer. As suggested above, the continental teams might decide to form a super league to stay competitive.