Newcastle could be sold to an Arab sheikh

Giggsyking

What is Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan worth?
His personal wealth is unclear but his family's wealth is thought to be around £150 billion.

FFS

devil in me

This is why I've lost interest in the game. I still follow it because I'm old enough that I've been following football for decades. But the game means very little to me now. It is absolutely soulless, and arguably it has even gone beyond that, and is to some degree culpable in human rights issues. None of the clubs have any identity now, very few of the big clubs are even partially owned by people resident in the same country, and most other clubs only exist to provide opposition, they can't ever hope to achieve anything.

When Newcastle are owned by the Emirati royal family, apart from the fact that they probably won't change the kit (although this can't be guaranteed!), how can the supporters in any meaningful sense continue to claim that they support Newcastle? Every penny is going straight to the United Arab Emirates, doubtless there will be a playing squad comprised of players who couldn't point to Newcastle on a map. And yet the local press is so desperate for it to happen that they're already trying to sugarcoat this guy.

And you can't really blame them because this is Newcastle's only hope of competing. I heard a journalist on the radio the other day, responding to completely accurate criticism of City. And he acknowledged that it was all accurate, but then also, quite rightly, said that without what has happened at City it would have completely impossible for them to ever compete in a sustained fashion. That's the world we're in now, you either get bought out by a morally dubious oil-rich royal family, or you might as well not bother fulfilling your fixtures.

I don't see how in that context football can mean anything to anyone.
Started to feel the same over the last few years. Its all become a bit soulless, and a bit empty. A few years ago it wouldve been devestating to see City win what they did last season, but if im honest, i wasnt in the slightest bit bothered, because it didn't mean anything.
Add to that the ridiculous amounts of money in the game aside from rich owners (the Sky/BT subscriptions, 400k a week wages etc) and then World cups in Qatar and european cup finals in Azerbaijan (again...money), and it all becomes too much. Football is broken at the top level, and its much more exciting these days in the lower leagues for me (although thats starting to go the same way).

Hughie77

Can see it happening, premier league is massive money, these guys cannot lose, as long as there not relegated , that won't happen with there cash?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At least it won’t all be wasted on Newcastle fans like it is at the Emptyhad. Imagine the Toon Army with something to sing about.

Slysi17

Ah ffs. Saudis might as well buy Manchester United. The Saudis don't look a bad option now :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AJ10

Ah ffs. Saudis might as well buy Manchester United. The Saudis don't look a bad option now :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:lol: We don't lack money but common sense in spending it and making the right decisions regarding players/managers.

If this deal goes through then I can see Jose working at Newcastle, if he's given billions to spend.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Yeah, we can still outbid City and pay wages they refuse to. But with Woodward's great power comes great irresponsibility.

minoo-utd

Newcastle in 2 seasons will be challenging City and Liverpool. We should be getting used to fighting for E.L spot:lol:.

Now we need to be sold too.

Slysi17

:lol: We don't lack money but common sense in spending it and making the right decisions regarding players/managers.

If this deal goes through then I can see Jose working at Newcastle, if he's given billions to spend.
Thats very true. We could compete financially with Manchester City and Newcastle. Probably the only club that can that is not owned by arab billionaire. We blow Liverpool out of the water financially too. The team I think that should be shitting their pants at this Newcastle takeover is Arsenal :lol::lol::lol:. How can a club compete with a 50 million pound net spend :lol::lol::lol:. Think Spurs should be worried when Poch goes as well.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
itll likely end in being not true. The Sun have broken a lot of BS stories.

Guy Incognito

I often wondered why the City owners didn't go for a club like Newcastle, such strong support, and a great club.

I guess the fact City were an easier purchase, and they could piggy back on Uniteds name were too much of lure, but the smart long term buy would be a club like this, Villa, or Everton if they want more than just parking their money in any old club.
Newcastle was their second choice.

Surely the PL won't allow this due to conflict of interest. Him being a cousin of City's owner and all that.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Some guy in telegraph reckons more he is asking around, the more "cold water being poured on it"

Horace Pinker

Supports
Manchester City
At least it won’t all be wasted on Newcastle fans like it is at the Emptyhad. Imagine the Toon Army with something to sing about.
Do you mean the Newcastle fans who use to average 11.000 in the early 90s before John Hall invested millions of his own money and brought Keegan in?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If they spend the money City did then good luck to the likes of Arsenal, United, Arsenal Chelsea or even Liverpool winning the league. Will make it very for teams going for top 4 to bring young players when every point plays is huge.

Dr. StrangeHate

Most of the fans of the clubs that are bought sure do. And those who are on the fence quickly forget about that when star players start playing for the club.
He is an arsenal supporter who likes oil money in football. Just seems strange considering arsenal will be negatively affected by it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think it will be far sooner if FIFA / UEFA don't demonstrate to the 'old money' that they are capable of dealing with the situation. Considering the geopolitical connections that state-funded clubs like city and PSG have that's no easy task. We're talking about club owners who operate at the highest levels of world power and apparently have no issues reaching outside of football to the president of France to put pressure on FIFA and UEFA (Mediapart).

'Threaten a breakaway league' has always been the default negotiating position of the G14 clubs to try and get what they want from football's organisational bodies. I would be amazed if they hadn't threatened it on multiple occasions to try and get decisive action against city and PSG. But if both clubs get relatively minor sanctions and the trend of super rich owners continues to encroach on their power, one would assume they will have to make good on that threat and leave.
feck old money.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yeah, we can still outbid City and pay wages they refuse to. But with Woodward's great power comes great irresponsibility.
Glazers: Now, now Ed... remember what you learned...

Woodward: With great power comes utter ineptitude?

Glazers: Exactly - always make the decision that your competitors least expect you to make - no matter how counter-intuitive...

Woodward: Yes, your excellence - I remember when they wondered what length contract I would give Moyes... or how I would back Mourinho after needlessly extending his contract for no reason at all.

And of course, my most recent campaign - appointing the ex Molde and Cardiff boss.

Glazers: Yes, yes... eeeeeexcellent. And so, what magical CEOing will you be conducting this Summer, my beautiful little gnome stooge?

Woodward: New contracts have been handed out to Jones and Young... Young is now captain, and the most talented players are clearly looking to exit the club...

Ole has already excused nest season and is talking about history more than a Mayan archeologist, and the mantra of 'young, British talent', is beginning to hypnotize the fanbase just as the 'your job now' and 'Ole's at the wheel' incantations did...

The fans are starting to freely accept zero success on the pitch - just like we've always dreamed.

Glazers: Excellent, excellent, my pug-faced little profit jester... and so, will you be personally overseeing and managing our transfer dealings this window again...?

Woodward: *Rubs hands together*

Wazza4Gaffa

Man City chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak actually had made a great point in his recent interview. The big European clubs are fuming with all the investment into the PL and are using FFP as a battering ram with City. More billionaire investment in other English clubs will make the English league far greater, powerful and marketable than other leagues turning it into, ironically, a 'super league' which they all want to get their teams in to because it is inevitable at this point.

Dipperphobic

It's not just about having lots of money. It's about spending it wisely, investing in the right areas, recruiting well etc. If it was just about having lots of money we'd still be winning things. Sadly, we haven't spent wisely, invested well or recruited well! Say what you like about City but they seem to be very well run with a clear strategy in place and directors that know what they're doing. We certainly do not appear to be anywhere close to matching their progress off the pitch and that inevitably reflects on the pitch. If Hughes was still City manager and he'd been given the same funds over that last 10 years would they be where they are today - I think not.....

Nick7

same sheikh that tried and failed to buy Liverpool when he couldn't prove he had the money?

el3mel

Great. Another club that's going to finish ahead of us within the next few years. Just what we need.

Hulksmash

same sheikh that tried and failed to buy Liverpool when he couldn't prove he had the money?
His Family has a net worth of 150 Billion. The problem with Liverpool was he couldn't prove they will transfer the money to the sellers correctly

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So this is happening? Wow. Tbh, it'd be pretty wild to have a potential top 7.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Would be fun if the new owners turn out to be even cheaper than Ashley.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Urgh. Another plastic club added to the PL pool then. Just great.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Newcastle in 2 seasons will be challenging City and Liverpool. We should be getting used to fighting for E.L spot:lol:.

Now we need to be sold too.
Tbf if we’d signed better players with the tons of money we’ve spent it wouldn’t be an issue. So, it’s not the lack of money.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Great. Another club that's going to finish ahead of us within the next few years. Just what we need.
It could also not happen. Nothing like assuming the worst at every chance.