Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
And that's it. I know the horse had probably bolted long before now and I wasn't admitting it to myself but this is just one thing I can't stand behind. I am done with the Premier League, i'll be watching the 18's whenever they have matches on and Milton Keynes because I am incapable of taking a stand without a massive dose of hypocrisy added in for good measure.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So what changed for the PL? That statement about legal assurance is obviously a joke so something behind the scenes must have changed. Super league concept putting them on a backfoot worrying that they'll lose their monetary monopoly? Something Tory government related who were pressured by KSA? Any ideas or insights?
And I mean more than just "money makes the world" because obviously that wasn't the case two years ago.

Dr. StrangeHate

Considering the size of Newcastle, the history of the club, the reach of the Premier League, Aramco’s obscurity and their need to put their name out there, it sounds like £1.8 billion over 6 years is a fair, non-inflated, market rate, compensation for the naming rights of the stadium :wenger:
Aramco is the most valuable company in the world or there abouts.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
So what changed for the PL? That statement about legal assurance is obviously a joke so something behind the scenes must have changed. Super league concept putting them on a backfoot worrying that they'll lose their monetary monopoly? Something Tory government related who were pressured by KSA? Any ideas or insights?
And I mean more than just "money makes the world" because obviously that wasn't the case two years ago.
The only thing standing in the way of them welcoming more rich b*stards into the league was that other rich b*stards already there (BEIN) had issues with them. Once they squashed it, everything was copacetic.

Zoo

Does this mean we have no chance of getting Sean Longstaff now?

peridigm

The squad must be shitting themselves. Will have a complete turnover within 2-3 windows.

FatTails

Does this mean we have no chance of getting Sean Longstaff now?
He reminds me of McTominay. If there is anything we are missing in our squad, it’s definitely another McTominay.

Smores

Football is over. Chelsea and City accelerated it's death, city in particular as they were an absolute nothing club. Chelsea at least had put in the groundwork of becoming a competitive team.

If you're a team like Brentford or villa or any club that's been working so hard to build and progress then this is like being booted off the 'pyramid' and being told to be grateful to be let back on. Newcastle are a floundering shambles of a club and through no sporting merit at all are about to overtake clubs who have had projects in place for years with blood sweat and tears in it.

Abu Dhabi v Saudi Arabia. They should be made to change names to reflect reality. They're not football clubs anymore.
Most footballing success is achieved through spending money that isn't new. That's why we've splashed the cash under Ole, we haven't improved by way of blood sweat and tears have we.

The idea that Brentford or prior to this Newcastle had the means to one day compete with us legitimately is laughable.

It's long been a two tiered league, it's just another team in column A rather than column B

RedDevil@84

are the Saudi Government buying them or just a wealthy Saudi Arabian?
The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund is buying it. The Saudi state will have no ownership or control over the football club. The governer of the PIF, Yasir Al-Rumayyan will be the president of NUFC.
Though the chairman of PIF in MBS.

The PIF has previously invested in Uber, Twitter, BP, Bank of America, Disney, Boeing and so many other companies.

All this is on paper. Depending on what you think of Saudis, you can draw your own conclusions.

Dr. StrangeHate

How did MBS pass the fit and proper test. US and UK intelligence agencies both confirmed he was involved with the murder.

At least City are about to be blown out of the water. The Bitters' fifteen minutes of fame comes to an end :D

On the other hand, it will make things much harder for the rest of us. Newcastle's off the scale wealth will ensure they get around FFP regulations somehow, like City do, and they are basically guaranteed trophies now.

Zoo

They should now be called Geordie Arabia.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool are more at risk than we are. We earn enough to compete with these lot even with the Glazers handbrakes being pulled.

Liverpool don't.

You only have to look at the wealth of the owners of the other clubs in the PL to see that the wealth of an owner doesn't translate to spending power.
Is right,

Rebuilding our current side just got far more difficult.

Man_UtdX1

All negative sentiments because they bought Newcastle probably. What would be the sentiments if they had bought Man Utd and would bring a world class coach along with likes of Mbappe, Neymar s, Messi of football

Maybe we need a poll to see if Man Utd supporters would be happy if the same would have happened with us

FatTails

The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund is buying it. The Saudi state will have no ownership or control over the football club. The governer of the PIF, Yasir Al-Rumayyan will be the president of NUFC.
Though the chairman of PIF in MBS.

The PIF has previously invested in Uber, Twitter, BP, Bank of America, Disney, Boeing and so many other companies.

All this is on paper. Depending on what you think of Saudis, you can draw your own conclusions.
I feel like someone brazen enough to chop up a journalist who is an American resident, in the embassy in a foreign country, might not be very respectful of the divide between his roles in PIF and as the ruler of his country.

That’s just me though. Beyond chopping up journalists, killing dissidents, bombing neighbouring countries, funding extremism, and hacking public figures, he might be a genuinely nice guy. We will never know.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Why Newcastle? Why not United, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal? Why buy a team in which you need to replace all players and club which don't have big reputation. They will need 6,7 years to create a team for top 4 (if that is their goal of course). They can have all money in the world but top players will not go there now.
Yes they will….. money money money money

Newcastle, as the richest club on the planet, will have no problem attracting players. Offer any player a blank cheque, then wait for the private jet landing at Newcastle airport. I remember folk saying nobody would want to join City.

padr81

Supports
Man City
FSG are much better than the Glazers. They've invested in all areas of the club, on and off the pitch. They continue to redevelop Anfield and have a built a new training ground. They also recruit smartly meaning they don't have to spend as much as they get it right first time. The Glazers are a joke in comparison.
Interesting take but I disagree, FSG struck gold with Jurgen. Yes their transfer committee is very good (thanks to the stolen database from Man City...) but you put Klopp at Old Trafford and the series of managers United had at Liverpool and people are saying the opposite. Uniteds only failing in comparison to Liverpool is imho Woodward, he's got almost everything wrong. Man for man I'd take Uniteds squad over Liverpools currently, not to mention what Klopp would have done with the 900m United have spent since his appointment at Liverpool.

RedDevil@84

How did MBS pass the fit and proper test. US and UK intelligence agencies both confirmed he was involved with the murder.
In the same way UK does business with Saudis all the time. By looking the other way.

Also, they were never going to put MBS name in the owner column for the club. The club will be owned by Public Investment Fund headed by its governer who is not MBS.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Absolutely pathetic.

Oil clubs are ruining the game; shame on UEFA. Criminal states-no human rights-injecting huge money and ruining the economy.

New Saudi Castle

Arabian Newcastle

Sooner than later many Top clubs will realize the Superleague is the only way out.

Oilcastle United

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
feck them, selling out to murderous bigots. Shame on them.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Has there been any statement to the effect of ' we're gonna outspend City lol' or are we just assuming that?

I'm not saying it isn't a fair assumption.

RedDevil@84

I feel like someone brazen enough to chop up a journalist who is an American resident, in the embassy in a foreign country, might not be very respectful of the divide between his roles in PIF and as the ruler of his country.

That’s just me though. Beyond chopping up journalists, killing dissidents, bombing neighbouring countries, funding extremism, and hacking public figures, he might be a genuinely nice guy. We will never know.
Which is why they never put MBS as the owner of the club. Yasir is a business guy and not royal family :D

Gazza

The sad part is not the fact that Saudis are taking over Newcastle; it’s the depressing mental gymnastics and clear attempts to “nothing to see here” this away.

padr81

Supports
Man City
;)
You jest but, sadly, that is the world we now live in. City owners are bad but they are schoolboys compared to the Saudis.

PL is a shell of what it could have been. You are either big enough you get a vampire bat sucking you dry (United, Arsenal, Pool, Newcastle until 5mis ago) or you become some kind of sportswashing/political bolthole (City, Chelsea, Newcastle as of 5 mins ago).
Congrats to Newcastle for being the first club to have both?

RedDevil@84

The sad part is not the fact that Saudis are taking over Newcastle; it’s the depressing mental gymnastics and clear attempts to “nothing to see here” this away.
Probably because people have already seen everything to see that is there. No one is surprised anymore that Saudis are allowed to invest in yet another thing. They already invest in half of the big companies in almost every other country. Every country is happy to take their investment.

MUFC07

Can they outright go buy the likes of Haaland and so on? Or will they have to Robinho it out?

RedDevil@84

It’s literally a sovereign fund and MBS is the chairman. What a joke :lol:
That's how businesses work aint it. By putting out a different name or create a new subsidiary when they want things to happen their way..