Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Sky and their pundits when the Super League was introduced: "This is wrong and we have to do everything to stop it."
Sky and their pundits when yet another terrible regime enters the game and makes a mockery of the competition: "It's complicated and there isn't a right and wrong answer."

Laughable how Neville is squirming around the issue like a weasel and how he even brings out the good old "I believe football can be a force to change something for the good" rubbish.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sky and their pundits when the Super League was introduced: "This is wrong and we have to do everything to stop it."
Sky and their pundits when yet another terrible regime enters the game and makes a mockery of the competition: "It's complicated and there isn't a right and wrong answer."

Laughable how Neville is squirming around the issue like a weasel and how he even brings out the good old "I believe football can be a force to change something for the good" rubbish.
At school I had a history teacher who used to mock every historical problem as being caused because 'people don't like change' and it seems like there's a bit of truth to it when you look at situations like this. It's like whereas the Super League, as bad an idea as it was, represented a complete difference in terms of the football structure, this represents what is ultimately a continuation and is therefore being rationalised in a different way.

Many posters have said how Abramovich opened the floodgates to which the City Football Group eventually rode in. It seems Sky and Nev are now rationalising Saudi's takeover as a continuation of what already is and because Sky already have the rights to show the games they're obviously not as bothered. By comparison, the Super League threatened their own media supremacy because it was an unknown. Why should they have cared otherwise?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was just about to post this

Just finished reading it. Absolute shocker

We have an opportunity now, being associated with the Saudis, of encouraging western morality – and standing up when we are offended. I don’t see Geordies being naive in this.
Just when you thought they couldn't make it worse.

Oranges038

That banner is brilliant. Well played by the Palace fans. I won't be surprised at all if Palace are fined by the league for that.

Police investigating it is a laugh. I'd like to know on what grounds they can investigate that.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Are newcastle fans generally well liked among other supporters? most of the online ones I have seen on twitter are insufferable.

Cloud7

That banner is brilliant. Well played by the Palace fans. I won't be surprised at all if Palace are fined by the league for that.

Police investigating it is a laugh. I'd like to know on what grounds they can investigate that.
It would be funny if all the other clubs got banners like that up when they play Newcastle. Will the league fine every club for it?

Oranges038

It would be funny if all the other clubs got banners like that up when they play Newcastle. Will the league fine every club for it?
I think they might try to make an example out of this to deter other clubs. They really have made a rod for their own backs.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Croydon Metropolitan Police have released a statement on Twitter, which says: "On Saturday 23 October police received a report of an offensive banner displayed by Crystal Palace fans.

"Officers are assessing the information and carrying out enquiries. Any allegations of racist abuse will be taken very seriously."
The banner was racist, apparently.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
The banner was racist, apparently.
What a joke.

They think the banner was racist, but they are fine selling weapons to current genociders.

"I sell weapons to dictators, but at least I'm not a racist"

Offsideagain

Hang on folks. Weren’t United sponsored by Saudi Telecom some years ago? I ask cos a Toon fan mate of mine has unearthed an article about this deal. Just googled it and it’s true. So we took Saudi money apparently and nothing was said. This was pre the murder of the journalist I believe. Also an article i something called The Mag.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Saudi has always been terrible for human rights, but dismembering a journalist in their embassy took it to a completely different level that should always be reminded.

Offsideagain

Newcastle fans may have a banner or two for us when we go there as we took money from Saudi Telecom in the past. Ghis was pre ghe murder though if that makes it alright.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Newcastle fans may have a banner or two for us when we go there as we took money from Saudi Telecom in the past. Ghis was pre ghe murder though if that makes it alright.
There's an ever so slight difference between some temporarily having a minor sponsor amongst 100s of others, pre full details of their regime emerging, versus being totally bankrolled by that regime.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hang on folks. Weren’t United sponsored by Saudi Telecom some years ago? I ask cos a Toon fan mate of mine has unearthed an article about this deal. Just googled it and it’s true. So we took Saudi money apparently and nothing was said. This was pre the murder of the journalist I believe. Also an article i something called The Mag.
I don't remember any Man United fans dressed up, dancing in the streets celebrating that or writing open letters sucking the balls of the new sponsors.

I might have missed that but I don't think so.