Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

arthurka

Why should the PL accept this now, didn´t they stop it last time around?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can we hurry up with the energy transition so oil loses its worth?
OK I guess Elon Musk will just buy all football clubs then, nevermind.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Shaun Wright-Phillips and Wayne Bridge currently checking their phones every few seconds.

cyberman

The league is fecked. There’s a fan of a top 4 clubs reading this story who isn’t that fussed but this investment means they’ll be pushed out of the top 4 and have set their club back years but they just don’t know it yet.
On another note. If this goes how we expect it to then England will be the de facto super league of football for the arms race alone

Oranges038

I know Newcastle fans hate Ashley because he didn't like to spend much money. But this seens like it is just a bad move in the oppisite direction.

They are going to see piles of money being spent on mediocre players and they will still win nothing.

Dr. StrangeHate

So PL stopped it because they weren't getting their cut rather than Journalist Sheesh Kebabs in Turkey.

Dr. StrangeHate

I know Newcastle fans hate Ashley because he didn't like to spend much money. But this seens like it is just a bad move in the oppisite direction.

They are going to see piles of money being spent on mediocre players and they will still win nothing.
MBS doesn't work like that, he goes for top of the top. He will go for players like Pogba, Mbappe, Halaand, etc. They will win a PL before us.

Infra-red

Wonder if we'll be seeing Pogba in the black and white of Newcastle rather than Juve.

Hopefully the Premier League resists - the last thing anyone needs is two nation states in City and Newcastle going head-to-head in the same league.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Another huge shake up for the Premier League. I would say this is bad news for Man Utd in the longterm.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Another huge shake up for the Premier League. I would say this is bad news for Man Utd in the longterm.
It's bad news for every team, but this will probably be great for the Premier League.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Eventually raises the bar even further. This is worse for the big Spanish teams and the other leagues. All the other big English clubs will just spend more and more until the bubble bursts but I fully expect to see the biggest players in the world getting scooped up by PL clubs. If not Haaland and Mbappe then the next crop and so on… this is where 10 of the biggest payers in the world are all in the one spot. Everyone will want to work here.

FatTails

I worry that “sack the manager” might be misunderstood by the Saudis :nervous:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
My totally unsubstantiated conspiracy theory is that Avram Glazer realises that a top four spot just became a lot harder and that's why he sold his shares. The level of investment required to guarantee finishing above Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea and City is quite large.

Oranges038

MBS doesn't work like that, he goes for top of the top. He will go for players like Pogba, Mbappe, Halaand, etc. They will win a PL before us.
Nah, money talks but none of them will really want to go to Newcastle. Can't see them being able to sign any of them.

Unless, he offers them an invite to consulate to sign the contracts.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why Newcastle? Why not United, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal? Why buy a team in which you need to replace all players and club which don't have big reputation. They will need 6,7 years to create a team for top 4 (if that is their goal of course). They can have all money in the world but top players will not go there now.

We need an rvn

Says he to the City / Chelsea fan...there's only one way this is going and that it's not a top 4 club from a traditional sense, but more top 3 with City / Chelsea / Newcastle as the top spenders who don't care about money and Utd / L'pool / Arsenal / Spurs battling it out for the 4th slot (although I haven't said 4th slot is 4th place as can easily see L'pool and United being dominated for a few years with the right manager

tomaldinho1

Wow.

They're actually a club who won't need to cheat/inflate sponsors given fan base and decent legacy fan base as well. Football is dying anyway I guess, might as well let more human rights abusers into the league and facilitate their sports washing projects. Glazer's slowly relinquishing control for North Korea to come in.

cyberman

Newcastle won’t sign any of them and it’ll be many years before they’re able to.

Dr. StrangeHate

Nah, money talks but none of them will really want to go to Newcastle. Can't see them being able to sign any of them.

This is what he will try for though.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Took a few years, but when City signed Robinho the world started to pay more attention, then followed Yaya, Silva and Aguero and the rest is history.

Infra-red

Why Newcastle? Why not United, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal? Why buy a team in which you need to replace all players and club which don't have big reputation. They will need 6,7 years to create a team for top 4 (if that is their goal of course). They can have all money in the world but top players will not go there now.
Because they are much cheaper to buy. United would have set them back £2.5 - 3bn and still would have required massive investment in the team (and a new/renovated stadium). Newcastle will cost a small fraction of that, leaving plenty of money for shiny new players.