Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Oranges038

They can get there with considerably less than a billion, but they won’t give much of a shit about money either way. The last 20 years has shown us just how easy it is to entice players away from their clubs if you have some financial clout behind you, and it’s actually quite easy to buy your way to the top.

As for FFP, I think you’re kidding yourself if you think that’s going to stop anyone. City pretty much saw to that.
Maybe I am, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think they will be able to get to top for anything less than a billion.

City's owners have spent 2bn - to win the league/league cup, haven't won the CL yet.
Chelsea have spent 2bn since Roman came in - few leagues, couple of CL titles.
Utd have spent a billion in 10 years, nothing much to show for it.
Arsenal have spent half billion and are shit
Aston Villa and Everton have rich owners, they've outspent nearly every club in the league and most of Europe's top clubs - roughly half a billion each in the last few years - what have they got for it?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd say that we are more likely to become a Wenger-era Arsenal than the next Spurs. That is well on the way to happening anyway though, Newcastle or no Newcastle.

City are simply too rich and too good.
Unfortunately this is probably the best we can hope for. A title every 6-8 years, one or two more challenges in the meantime and that's it unless we are lucky and come across a manager like Klopp who can make us punch well above our weight (in which case we should be considerably better than Liverpool too, as our resources are much bigger). City and Chelsea are both run far too well for us to be able to compete with them in the near future. Things can change quickly in football though.

FatTails

What league is good to watch and is not a nasty billionaires’ cockfight?

Asking for a friend.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Don't care.

Give them a trillion and they'll still find a way to eff it up and punch a horse in the process.

Dobba

Delighted it isn't us. If some blokes you'll never meet winning a football tournament is more important that the human rights abuses that funds it, give your head a fecking wobble.

Stacks

On top of the cash owners are now permitted to inject into the clubs now. We get the opposite. It's not just what they take out, it's what they don't put in.

Not to mention we don't operate to our fullest potential as it stands anyway regardless of not having the input of cash from a wealthy owner.
how many owners worldwide do this though (Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, ? if clubs generate loads in revenue do owners often inject cash?

Stacks

If only Hitler was around now, all he would have to do would be to the buy a football club devoid of success and can make people forget about the horrendous and downright shocking human rights that the Saudis represent by buying a few players and buying success.

Fully sure with the level of clowns in fanbases that you would have people fully defending him If he did! :rolleyes:
are the Saudi Government buying them or just a wealthy Saudi Arabian?

Bosws87

Bit boring all this another club that no one will care about no matter their achievements.

Stacks

Gonna call a spade a spade here and mean no offence but the Glazers for all their shit have at least assembled the 2nd most expensive squad in the history of world football. One Donny Van de Beek cheaper than Cities. Of all the American owners and I get they have fecked you guys over, they have been far better (at least when pressured) than FSG and Kroenke at their respective clubs. While they are by no means great owners, I think its fair to say they are at least spending, the other US owners are much bigger leeches imho. Not that thats anything for you guys to celebrate but at least in player recruitment the Glazers have allowed you to use money earned to upgrade the squad.

FSG are robbing Liverpool blind given their turnover and their lack of investment is criminal whilst they are using a world class manager to hide it (kinda like what the Glazers did early days with Sir Alex). If City are currently living within current FFP guidelines (despite where the sponsorship money comes from) then Liverpool and Arsenal can easily spend a lot more and are choosing not to.

At least the Glazers are allowing on the pitch investment if not spending to your full potential or any of their own money.
they will never care. investing 1 billion is not sufficient as it should be 1.1 billion PLUS their own money. That's what will make United champions.......

Wayne's World

are the Saudi Government buying them or just a wealthy Saudi Arabian?
It's the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, one of the biggest and influential figures there, and a horrible human being who's murdered hundreds of thousands of people, continues to torture people for speaking out and gives women no rights to anything.

But he's buying a few big players so feck all that!...have Newcastle fans on twitter with Saudi flags attached to them

As Keane would say...do me a favour :rolleyes:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What league is good to watch and is not a nasty billionaires’ cockfight?

Asking for a friend.
Bundesliga is the only one that has stayed "pure football" IMO and hasn't changed much over the years, along with having relatively exciting football throughout the league. Of course, with that comes very much a hierarchy where Bayern just dominates every year and others have faint dreams of an upset title win once a decade. It depends how you look at it I guess.

For excitement and unpredictability and big names, the premier league is king. But of course it's much more money oriented. It's always been this way, just the money came from different sources. Also there's the whole thing of the traditional big clubs not liking the status quo being torn up, whereas I bet smaller clubs care a lot less about oil money clubs and just see it as something that's always been around.

Anyway, the premier league is essentially becoming the defacto super league. The ESL was an attempt at the traditional big clubs around Europe to take control and stay at the top before its too late.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Reading expectations of our new owners here and on other boards is actually eye opening to me.

No NUFC fan I know - again, the odd numpty on twitter excepted - is counting on them to splash the cash and flaunt FFP in any real way.

We more expect to sign a class of player/manager 1 or 2 tiers up from what we have, not try to jump all the way to world-class overnight. The investment in the scouting, academy and facilities are what most of us are more excited about.
Ok but what are your expectations for when the Saudis take over NUFC? Are you thinking more Chelsea 04-06 or City last decade? Or is that too Tesco for your new owners and a PSG blowout is in order?

FatTails

Welcome to the Saudi Aramco stadium. It is done.
Considering the size of Newcastle, the history of the club, the reach of the Premier League, Aramco’s obscurity and their need to put their name out there, it sounds like £1.8 billion over 6 years is a fair, non-inflated, market rate, compensation for the naming rights of the stadium :wenger:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Makes the super league look like League One now :lol:. Some serious money there, makes City look like paupers in terms of ownership now.

Won't be there for 3/4 years but would make them a strong team for sure with the right direction

Man_UtdX1

I feel sorry for Steve Bruce. Thank feck we tied Ole down to a long contract otherwise we could have lost him for nothing. Best we hurry up with McKenna and Carrick contracts. Newcastle will want proven PL masters
You used Carrick/McKenna and proven PL Masters in same sentence. But maybe New castle want them as players and not coaches than your statement stands.

Sweet Square

Delighted it isn't us. If some blokes you'll never meet winning a football tournament is more important that the human rights abuses that funds it, give your head a fecking wobble.
Yep it's the only positive news around this story.

Stacks

It's the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, one of the biggest and influential figures there, and a horrible human being who's murdered hundreds of thousands of people, continues to torture people for speaking out and gives women no rights to anything.

But he's buying a few big players so feck all that!...have Newcastle fans on twitter with Saudi flags attached to them

As Keane would say...do me a favour :rolleyes:
who said the Crown prince is buying them? I'm seeing its a consortium

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
People saying this is just as bad or worse than Super League make no sense at all.

For those that praise and romanticize the "spirit of football", it's important to note that it is fundamentally rooted in the notion of a team achieving grassroots success through strategic planning and team building. A meritocracy, where even the smaller teams can achieve success.

The super league is an insulated football pyramid where the 12 mightiest and financially powerful teams can't be relegated regardless of their own performance. How does that help literally every other football team in Europe outside those 12 teams? Not to mention the revenue, and general value and worth of all those other teams would decrease in the absence of the top teams since they carry tremendous financial equity that trickles down to the rest of the league.

How much less lucrative would the TV deals be if you took away the top EPL teams? A team in 17th place in England makes more money in the domestic league than a team in the champions league from other European leagues simply by being in the EPL.

Having a disdain and dislike of oil clubs makes sense depending on who you are, but in the same breath saying "Super League was better" is absurd.

AaronRedDevil

Congrats to them. They deserve it after the shite they've had to put up with Mike Ashley. Hate owners like them, completely gutting the club. Like Arsenal.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
thats crazy. I blame the premier league. its their responsibility to vet the owners and if they qualify them then either
i) their human rights abuses aren't recognised
ii) the people involved aren't linked to them
iii) premier league has no soul/honour/morals
Well the premier league is based in a country that together with its ally across the pond has been responsible for wars and killings all over the world including invading a sovereign nation under false pretenses resulting in millions of deaths. I would say the Saudi’s fit right in.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Lazy option:
League, Newcastle and St James Holdings settle dispute over takeover of club, which has been sold

The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect.

The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover.

All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club’s ownership.

The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

All parties are pleased to have concluded this process which gives certainty and clarity to Newcastle United Football Club and their fans.

tomaldinho1

Considering the size of Newcastle, the history of the club, the reach of the Premier League, Aramco’s obscurity and their need to put their name out there, it sounds like £1.8 billion over 6 years is a fair, non-inflated, market rate, compensation for the naming rights of the stadium :wenger:
;)
You jest but, sadly, that is the world we now live in. City owners are bad but they are schoolboys compared to the Saudis.

PL is a shell of what it could have been. You are either big enough you get a vampire bat sucking you dry (United, Arsenal, Pool, Newcastle until 5mis ago) or you become some kind of sportswashing/political bolthole (City, Chelsea, Newcastle as of 5 mins ago).

stevoc

I know you were talking about the reaction from Newcastle fans. What I was getting at is that a number of football fans will turn a blind eye to the transgressions of their owners if it brings their club success. A lot of them will not give a hoot.
No doubt, and Newcastle fans more than most don't seem to give a feck.