Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't really blame Newcastle fans at being happy right now. They've just won the lottery and have dreams of grandeur.

It's up to everybody else to keep the sportlight on KSA and make sure they better themselves.

I can't see them being a major player in football for at least 5-6 years, depending on FFP holding it's weight of course.

SER19

Shearer.

well, if they cared enough about the human rights issues then they’d protest or kick up a fuss instead of wildly celebrating they have their club back.
This is what they did at City too. Absolutely vacuous rhetoric

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
My thoughts exactly, everyone needs to calm down a bit.
how dare you. it’s the end of days. it was foretold.

matthew 2:14
so he got up, took the haaland and his father during the night and left for gateshead, 15 where he stayed until the death of trafford. and so was fulfilled what the lord had said through the prophet: 'out of south shields i called my son.’
deuteronomy 18:15
i will raise up for them a prophet like bruce from among their kinsmen. i will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell the first team everything i order him.
nostradamus
the young lion will overcome the older one,
on the field of dreams in a single battle;
he will pierce his eyes through a golden curler,
two goals to one, then he dies a cruel death.
nostradamus
the blood of the just will be demanded of trafford
burnt by oil in the year '22
the ancient ole will fall from his 4th place
and many of his sect will be killed.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Whilst this is true, City we’re garbage before they were taken over and it took a couple more years. I remember Chelsea being a bogey side for us before Roman, hated playing them.
City weren't great but garbage is a stretch, we still had a core of Given, Hart, Kompany, Dunne, De Jong, SWP, Sturridge, Elano, Micah Richards, Zabalata, Bellamy who are all better than what Newcastle have at the moment

DickDastardly

I think for the Saudis, endorsing non-Salafis as model Muslims would be worse than buying a team full of actual non-Muslims.

But as an interesting thought experiment:

Benzema

Mahrez-------------------------Salah

Pogba-------Gundogan
Kante

F Mendy--Rudiger--Koulibaly--Hakimi

B Mendy
All of them openly identify themselves as practising Muslims. Tough calls on Mane, Amad, Zouma, Traore and a few others.
Hell of team that would be!

Have to be honest, i don't know much about the Saudis,...could you explain this if you have the time?

Make him the best paid manager in the world. He deserves it.
I think they could offer him 100m /year & he’d say no.
Just seems a man of strong principals, never broken a contract, doesn’t “need” the money as is plenty rich already and doesn’t have that greedy personality.
Some things are more important.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
City weren't great but garbage is a stretch, we still had a core of Given, Hart, Kompany, Dunne, De Jong, SWP, Sturridge, Elano, Micah Richards, Zabalata, Bellamy who are all better than what Newcastle have at the moment
Did yous not sign some of those players after the takeover? Maybe not Newcastle bad but still bottom half of the table and not challenging for anything.

Chairman Steve

Boy, I hope they don’t come after OGS. No wonder we’re desperately trying to nail down Phelan, Carrick and McKenna on new contracts! :cool:

Biggins

They will go after him no doubt.
I would be really surprised if Klopp even contemplated going to Newcastle no matter how much money or promises Saudis would be throwing at him. He does not seem to be that kind of guy.

It will be interesting to see how this takeover will pan out. The league already has CIty and Chelsea plus we are not exactly that poor! Liverpool will still attract top players due to their history. Building a title challenging squad with Newcastle will be a monumental task in these circumstances. There is always limited pool of elite footballers and Newcastle will need to convince some of them to join them. Chelsea and City are by now established top European teams and able to offer the same amount of money as Saudis can offer. Top players will also want still to go to Barca and Real to form part of their history and because of location (even though the former struggles financially). You will also have PSG with lots of cash plus the lure of Paris.

I tend to agree that it is strange that Saudis with unlimited funds have not gone for some club with more established position in European football. Going for Spurs and Arsenal would make much more sense and they would have the benefit of London to attract top players even if that meant much bigger initial outlay.

Money obviously is everything and there is a big chance that Saudis will be able to convert Newcastle into a top European side but it would be so funny if after five years Newcastle are nowhere near the top and Saudis decide to pull out on the basis that it is not worth the fuss!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just seems a man of strong principals, never broken a contract, doesn’t “need” the money as is plenty rich already and doesn’t have that greedy personality.
I actually believe this. I don't think Klopp would be interested.

Pep, on the other hand...

JustAGuest

If I were Newcastle owner, I'd try as humanly as possible to land Klopp.
I can see Klopp being opposed to this entire thing. Let's see if he says something in his press conference. To me he doesn't seem like someone who would sell out his values.

dalriada

These people (including Shearer) have no shame. Their club's now owned by an oil state where the citizens have no say who rules them and the rulers steal the country's wealth to spend on expensive toys like Newcastle; and there's a shabby pretence that it's all ok because they've devised a fictional "arm's length" arrangement from the Saudi state.

In the meantime, Marcus Rashford is receiving his honorary degree for campaigning for children in need. What a contrast.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Given, Kompany, De Jong, SWP, Elano, B Bellamy were all bought after the Sheikh was the owner. You are trying to argue your point whilst being factually wrong. The team was garbage before Shinawatra arrived in 2007, then he started bringing decent players in. He was also only the owner for a year until Mansour arrived on the scene.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
These people (including Shearer) have no shame. Their club's now owned by an oil state where the citizens have no say who rules them and the rulers steal the country's wealth to spend on expensive toys like Newcastle; and there's a shabby pretence that it's all ok because they've devised a fictional "arm's length" arrangement from the Saudi state.

In the meantime, Marcus Rashford is receiving his honorary degree for campaigning for children in need. What a contrast.
Not only that, the owners have had previous links to terrorist funding and support, not to mention the regime is full of murder, rape, child molestation, homophobia and sexism. Gay people are known to be killed for being gay, and there is no legal age of sexual consent in the country as long as a child is married to a man.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Given, Kompany, De Jong, SWP, Elano, B Bellamy were all bought after the Sheikh was the owner. You are trying to argue your point whilst being factually wrong. The team was garbage before Shinawatra arrived in 2007, then he started bringing decent players in. He was also only the owner for a year until Mansour arrived on the scene.
Kompany, Jo and Elano were all signed before the takeover in September 2008.

AneRu

People are just trying to comfort themselves but deep down they know that Newcastle will be challenging soon. It's football not rocket science we are talking right now. We will see the impact of this in January and beyond as right now there isn't much the new owners can do.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This'll be weird, first time a club I like has been all oiled up. Sad it's the worst of the lot of them.
Yeah it's a weird one for me too. I grew up in the North East, plenty of pals who are Newcastle fans and went to a lot of games and was even ball boy there when I was younger. They have put up with a lot of crap under Ashley so on the one hand I'm happy they are finally rid of him and the fans can start looking forwards now. On the other, it's to the Saudis and it's gonna be a Man City mark 2. It was always inevitable that the Saudis would get involved at a club, just disappointed to see it's for a club I have an affinity for.

Spoony

The People's President
The UK government have given refuge in London to some of the most powerful, rich and corrupt people from around the world. Money talks doesn't it.

romufc

Newcastle will challenge within the next 5 years. They are not in Europe so they will not be judged on their Uefa FFP.

I would expect them to start spending asap.

stevoc

Shearer.

well, if they cared enough about the human rights issues then they’d protest or kick up a fuss instead of wildly celebrating they have their club back.
feck sake everyone of them singing from the sportwashing Hymn sheet already.

Newcastle fans inevitably embarrassing themselves over this news. 97% or something of their supporters clubs being in favour of a Saudi takeover says it all.

Dansk

Imagine if they get relegated this season. Very real chance that they do. Signing a conga line of stars won't be easy if you're not even in the top flight. Now imagine if they get relegated and don't secure promotion next season. The fecking banter.

He himself was celebrating in Twitter. Now try to paint the fans who are celebrating as have nothing to do with the new owners?
He's rightly getting torn apart for it in the comments.

Oranges038

Not only that, the owners have had previous links to terrorist funding and support, not to mention the regime is full of murder, rape, child molestation, homophobia and sexism. Gay people are known to be killed for being gay, and there is no legal age of sexual consent in the country as long as a child is married to a man.
Imagine the outrage if the English royal family, with Prince Andrew involved wanted to buy a club. They could buy the one with the Michael Jackson statue.

Doracle

Yes, City had spent a fair amount before the takeover and finished 9th and 10th the two seasons before. Definitely a better platform to launch a spending spree.

There is a possibility that this season could still go badly wrong for Newcastle. A bad replacement for Bruce and they could be in big trouble, even with investment in January. Unlikely but would be extremely amusing if it did happen.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah a little bit of me is as well.

I can’t stand Newcastle, but feel a bit sorry for their fans constantly being derided (not least on the Caf) for being “deluded” and “entitled” when there’s little to no evidence of them being any such thing.
Correct, they aren't They have just been fed up for 15 years of having an owner like Ashley. The fans are passionate as anything about their club, don't know why that makes them entitled or anything of the sort.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's just a job, eventually. Does it mean that the likes of KDB, Silva, and all City, PSG, and Chelsea players and all people that work for those clubs are not men/people of strong principals?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Because they're a perfect candidate for this sort of takeover. They've been ripe for it for years.
Well why would they want to buy any club - its not as if they need the money.
The whole thing is a load of shite. The PL is a farce.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I guess Super league doesn't look all that bad if competition is State backed football club. Whole argument was competition but when your competition is Saudis, I guess I will prefer closed competition. Both are soulless but atleast it's not tainted with human suffering