Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

matt10000

I'm certainly more open to it than I was last year. The reality is there will be more state owned clubs popping up in the future and a super league will likely be the last resort for some clubs to stay afloat.
Better if all the state owned clubs broke away and created a pointless league to play in

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm certainly more open to it than I was last year. The reality is there will be more state owned clubs popping up in the future and a super league will likely be the last resort for some clubs to stay afloat.
We've got Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi.

Which other states will want to buy a club?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Would you have preffered him at Blackburn to the chicken men?
Yes definitely. At least he knew that clubs could get actually relegated from the Premier League, and realised that spending £5m wouldn't 'quite' be enough for a potential top 4 challenge.

One thing that Ashley and the Venky's have in common is that they both sacked Allardyce. However our decision to sack him was far more ridiculous and stupid (one of the stupidest sackings in Premier League history). I could understand Newcastle, clearly a bigger club than us with more potential, wanting to get rid of Allardyce and thinking that they could do better (in Ashley's first season at the helm when he cared a lot more), but for a club our size he was pretty much the best that we could have got at that time.

Ashley deserved most of the criticism that he received, but there is pretty long list of far worse club owners than him (I notably missed Portsmouth from the list of examples in my previous post). The Newcastle fans I've come across who act as they've had it worse than anyone else, when they've only been outside the Premier League for a total of 2 seasons since 1993, are truly deluded.

Last edited:

thedvil

I think this will be the end of football for me and I assume a few others also, I have been way too emotionally invested in United and this will help me break that cord. I could just about manage having City and Chelsea as the Money pit clubs but you add in the giant whale of MBS with Newcastle which will be used as PR mouthpiece for the Saudis, it makes the future of the PL very bleak indeed.

Its disappointing that the PL top brass allowed one of the worst regimes in the world to control a football club in a league watched by 100s of millions but the problem is money talks no matter how dirty that money is.

Going forward I think there will be some negative press until the Saudis start wining and dining (bribing) Journalists, pundits and commentators just like City have done, Your top 4 will always be City, Chelsea and Newcastle and whoever finished 4th but who will really care at that point, its possible we don't see a PL winner outside of those 3 money clubs in decades.

I will follow this season and the next one possibly while slowly weening myself off it.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
It's a sovereign fund, it will need some level of ROI at some point. I bet it will be a property play. Buy up the property around the stadium which is smack in the middle of the city and turn the entire city centre into some sports Disneyland, topless men albeit obese ones to boot. Dhahran/Aramco of football.
A lot of the clubs have dabbled into it, Spurs being the latest. But in Newcastle's case, its in the middle of the city., lots of human traffic that is not being exploited.
Otherwise, a football stadium seems like a redundant property, being used mainly once every two weeks..
There isn't really any property around the stadium that hasn't been developed, and although they own the stadium they'll don't own the land the stadium is built on unless something has changed in the last few years

Spoony

The People's President
We've got Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi.

Which other states will want to buy a club?
States and folk with money to burn baby...

Kuwait, Bahrain, Dubai, Vlad, Trump, Tesla man and Amazon man. I bet the Chinese are interested.

Brophs

The One and Only
Between their human rights record and the way they are engaging in a blatant attempt at sportswashing, these are arguably the most abhorrent owne—
Actually, to be fair, they’re not a bad bunch of lads, really.

Spoony

The People's President
Between their human rights record and the way they are engaging in a blatant attempt at sportswashing, these are arguably the most abhorrent owne—

I like them...they've got money and we've got some shit players.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
States and folk with money to burn baby...

Kuwait, Bahrain, Dubai, Vlad, Trump, Tesla man and Amazon man. I bet the Chinese are interested.
China could buy every team in every sport and every TV channel that broadcasts those sports and it wouldn't make a dent. They don't give a shit about sportswashing surely.

Spoony

The People's President
China could buy every team in every sport and every TV channel that broadcasts those sports and it wouldn't make a dent. They don't give a shit about sportswashing surely.

No but surely it'll help with their soft power and world domination ideas.

Pickle85

:lol:

Fluctuation0161

The difference between Newcastle fans and the average Uk citizen who doesn’t take to the streets over their countries relationship with Saudi is that the average Uk citizen isn’t being cynically weaponised in a PR battle. The Saudis brought the club to launder their reputation. They know that this is the best way to instantly generate an army of advocates online. Shouting down criticism of their human rights abuses and parroting whatever talking points they want in the media that week to defend their latest atrocities.

Those fans are being used in the most blatant and depressing manner. Used to whitewash ongoing state sanctioned humans rights abuses that vastly exceed anything the UK government has done in the recent past. They’ve become pawns of genuinely evil people. If they don’t even take a moment to think about what it means to be used in that manner then more fool them.
Absolutely.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s sad thinking that kids will soon grow up thinking the likes of City, PSG and Newcastle are biggest, most successful clubs around that have always dominated. Fake as feck.

Brophs

The One and Only
The difference between Newcastle fans and the average Uk citizen who doesn’t take to the streets over their countries relationship with Saudi is that the average Uk citizen isn’t being cynically weaponised in a PR battle. The Saudis brought the club to launder their reputation. They know that this is the best way to instantly generate an army of advocates online. Shouting down criticism of their human rights abuses and parroting whatever talking points they want in the media that week to defend their latest atrocities.

Those fans are being used in the most blatant and depressing manner. Used to whitewash ongoing state sanctioned humans rights abuses that vastly exceed anything the UK government has done in the recent past. They’ve become pawns of genuinely evil people. If they don’t even take a moment to think about what it means to be used in that manner then more fool them.
On the one hand that all seems very sensible but on the other, Henry Winter thinks the human rights issue is best dealt with by a robust “comms strategy” and then finishes with a weird “Choose Life” esque outro, so it’s hard to know who to believe.

Chabon

What glory days? :lol:
The pre-Abramovich ones where plucky little Newcastle were by far the biggest spenders in the league and still won feck-all:

Hopefully history repeats itself.

ShinjiNinja26

On the one hand that all seems very sensible but on the other, Henry Winter thinks the human rights issue is best dealt with by a robust “comms strategy” and then finishes with a weird “Choose Life” esque outro, so it’s hard to know who to believe.
Feck off. These journo’s don’t give a shite about this lot taking over do they? Just happy to have another new shiny rich club in the league that can buy all the best players. Where’s the same energy they had for stopping the ESL? Because this is destroying the game just as much.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
All jokes aside this brings me to a point no one will want to discuss.

Are clubs who accept their money going forward immoral?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Everyone should have been more open to it. The outrage against it was ridiculous.