Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
So the rank by wealth of the owners in the Premier League is as follows:

1. Newcastle United - Saudi investment Fund - £320b

2. Man City – Sheikh Mansour (£22.9bn)

3. Chelsea – Roman Abramovich (£9.6bn)

4. Arsenal – Stan Kroenke (£6.35bn)

5. Aston Villa – Nassef Sawiris (£5.3bn)

6. Wolves – Guo Guangchang (£4.5bn)

7. Tottenham – Joe Lewis (£3.6bn)

8. Manchester United – The Glazers (£3.5bn)

9. Crystal Palace – Joshua Harris (£3.36bn)

10. Leicester – Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha (£2.9bn)

11. Southampton – Gao Jisheng (£2.3bn)

12. Liverpool – John Henry (£2.14bn)

13. Everton – Farhad Moshiri (£1.9bn)

14. West Ham – David Sullivan and David Gold (£1.62bn)

15. Brighton – Tony Bloom (£765m)

16. Leeds – Andrea Radrizzani (£344m)

17. Watford – Gino Pozzo (£93m)

18. Burnley – Mike Garlick (£62m)

19. Norwich – Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones (£23m)

20. Brentford – Matthew Benham (£3m)

Spoony

The People's President
They'll probably start by buying the likes of Rice and other player outside of the CL teams. Would Sterling go there? Imagine if Klopp joined.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
They’re being linked to Tielemans today. He still hasn’t signed a new contract with us.

In theory, they could go out and build a fairly decent team from next season. Whoever is in charge, just needs to keep them in the league.

MrBrightside1989

They're going to be linked with everyone, and have the potential to make every transfer happen.
Whoever they appoint as manager and as heads of recruitment/DOF have a tough job to get the balance right.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So Newcastle owners are richer than all other owners combined. Will be interesting to see how they build the club.

Zen86

They'll probably start by buying the likes of Rice and other player outside of the CL teams. Would Sterling go there? Imagine if Klopp joined.
I don't think it would be Klopp's style. Pep on the other hand I could easily see going there, although I'd expect him to get a large exit payment from City on the condition of not joining Newcastle or PSG.

Spoony

The People's President
I don't think it would be Klopp's style. Pep on the other hand I could easily see going there, although I'd expect him to get a large exit payment from City on the condition of not joining Newcastle or PSG.

Indeed, it's not Klopp but I'd like to see what he could do with a blank cheque. Zidane would lift their profile.

Zen86

Indeed, it's not Klopp but I'd like to see what he could do with a blank cheque. Zidane would lift their profile.
I don't think they'll get anyone particularly high profile to begin with. They'll get a considerable upgrade on Bruce and get their star name manager when they're knocking on the door of the CL places. There's still a relegation scrap and scramble up the table to get through first before they're an attractive proposition for the very best. But yeah, it would be interesting to see Klopp or Zidane jump onboard at the very beginning.

Spoony

The People's President
I don't think they'll get anyone particularly high profile to begin with. They'll get a considerable upgrade on Bruce and get their star name manager when they're knocking on the door of the CL places. There's still a relegation scrap and scramble up the table to get through first before they're an attractive proposition for the very best. But yeah, it would be interesting to see Klopp or Zidane jump onboard at the very beginning.
Must admit I'm looking forward to see what they can do. I think they'll upgrade the stadium too.

Zen86

Must admit I'm looking forward to see what they can do. I think they'll upgrade the stadium too.
Yeah, although I see it as another nail in the coffin for football at a time when I'm increasingly apathetic towards football, it's still better than f***ing City winning the league every year.

roonster09

Scout
Won't be interesting at all. They'll murder football.
Nothing new then isn't it. It's already done by City and PSG. Also it's not as if other club fans hated them. Liverpool fans cheered for them when they completed with ManUtd for title, likewise ManUtd fans wanted them to win instead of Liverpool.

Now we both have one more team to cheer for when our clubs won't be winning the title.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Nothing new then isn't it. It's already done by City and PSG. Also it's not as if other club fans hated them. Liverpool fans cheered for them when they completed with ManUtd for title, likewise ManUtd fans wanted them to win instead of Liverpool.

Now we both have one more team to cheer for when our clubs won't be winning the title.
That is true. PSG were, and thankfully remain, an irrelevance packaged away in their farmer's league. City were amusing and yes I sold my soul supporting them against Ferguson. Chelsea too I suppose but at least, joyfully, Abramovic lost many billions and his visa. However, now I'm sure in a few years I'll care as much for PL football as I do international cricket (used to be an avid fan before the match fixing killed me totally inside).

It's timed well as new Plough Lane has opened up near me so I might get myself involved in watching lower league.

stevoc

At this stage I think it's safe to say that Abu Dhabi the country (through Mansour and ABUG) actually own and run Manchester City. So their owners are worth a lot more than that.

roonster09

Scout
That is true. PSG were, and thankfully remain, an irrelevance packaged away in their farmer's league. City were amusing and yes I sold my soul supporting them against Ferguson. Chelsea too I suppose but at least, joyfully, Abramovic lost many billions and his visa. However, now I'm sure in a few years I'll care as much for PL football as I do international cricket (used to be an avid fan before the match fixing killed me totally inside).

It's timed well as new Plough Lane has opened up near me so I might get myself involved in watching lower league.
Yeah, likewise Newcastle will get enough support from the club fans who want new winners or from the clubs who won't be in the race.

Also you see how many Bayern and German supporters cheer for City because of Pep, same with Barca fans and football "Neutrals". In few years, no one actually cares about the ownership. Hopefully we will see Newcastle fans justifying how all their revenue is legit when they will be 1st or 2nd in PL revenues, like City fans did. Would be fun arguments at least.

Cloud7

Yeah, although I see it as another nail in the coffin for football at a time when I'm increasingly apathetic towards football, it's still better than f***ing City winning the league every year.
One of my biggest nightmares would have been this lot buying Arsenal or Liverpool. It seemed like they were always going to buy a club and it was a matter of when, not if. As far as the potential clubs they could have bought goes, Newcastle is one of the choices I'm happy with.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Brentford my new favourite team. Feck all those other guys.

Zen86

One of my biggest nightmares would have been this lot buying Arsenal or Liverpool. It seemed like they were always going to buy a club and it was a matter of when, not if. As far as the potential clubs they could have bought goes, Newcastle is one of the choices I'm happy with.
Agreed. They're a club I think most people have some affection for which makes it an easier pill to swallow, however I'm sure that will wear off when they start winning everything. Also, it could very easily have been Leeds :eek:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They can sign Mbappe, Pogba and Lingard for ZERO in a few months.
Haaland for £75m
And that's just the start
But they cannot offer those players Champions League football, not even Europa, but potentially a relegation dogfight.
Personally, I don't think that they can run before they can walk..

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Relegation is possibly one of the best things they could do right now IMO

Gives them a chance to essentially start a fresh and build from the bottom and get rid of a lot of the dross already on the payroll.

They have so much money it’s not even a risk.

Thømas

Supports
Odense Boldklub
But they cannot offer those players Champions League football, not even Europa, but potentially a relegation dogfight.
Personally, I don't think that they can run before they can walk..
Who cares for Champions League? At this point it's basically the FA cup. Milan, Inter, Juve and Barcelona are all in shambles. Only continental teams that still has some bite is Bayern, PSG and Real Madrid.

Those players do not have a problem with transferring to a club where they get a mediocre season, they are advised by top-business minded agents.

Everyone thinks that it will be the same as City, forgetting that excatly Because of city, and PSG, it wont be like that, they know Newcastle will be the dominant force in english Football in just a couple of years, might as well join now, rather then get caught up in some club struggling to finish 4. Espacially considering that the competetiveness of the league is ever decreasing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Who cares for Champions League? At this point it's basically the FA cup. Milan, Inter, Juve and Barcelona are all in shambles. Only continental teams that still has some bite is Bayern, PSG and Real Madrid.

Those players do not have a problem with transferring to a club where they get a mediocre season, they are advised by top-business minded agents.

Everyone thinks that it will be the same as City, forgetting that excatly Because of city, and PSG, it wont be like that, they know Newcastle will be the dominant force in english Football in just a couple of years, might as well join now, rather then get caught up in some club struggling to finish 4. Espacially considering that the competetiveness of the league is ever decreasing.
Just curious, did you sign up specifically to come on here and defend Newcastle? Do you have any other interests on the forum or is it just this? Genuine question.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
One thing is for sure with this Newcastle takeover. At least the spending and new players will be cheered on by a full stadium, not scarves and empty and seats.

Woodzy

One thing is for sure with this Newcastle takeover. At least the spending and new players will be cheered on by a full stadium, not scarves and empty and seats.
Which is the scariest part about it tbh. The Newcastle path to establishing themselves as one of the biggest clubs in the world could be a lot easier than City's.

stevoc

Why are Man Utd in debt if they have that kind of money?
You are asking this and you are a United fan since 78 or is the username about something else?

To answer your question that $3.5B is the Glazer family's personal wealth. United are in debt because the Glazer family didn't use one penny of that to buy United.

They used a leveraged buy out to take control of United. Leveraged buy outs of football clubs, seem like they should be illegal but they aren't.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

CL matters.

FA cup? City can't win UCL, neither PSG.

I don't think the likes of Mbappé and Haaland will go to a team that doesn't play UCL, they are way too high profile for that.

I reckon Newcastle can get the likes Lacazette, Dembele,Martial,Kimmich,Jota,etc but no way they are getting Mbappé and Haaland....way too high profile to not play UCL.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Newcastle are definitely more Chelsea than City. Both because they actually have fans and also because they are next level in terms of financial firepower when compared to the current competition.

When City did their thing, Roman was already here but the Saudi wealth dwarves that of the other clubs and FFP is significantly relaxed, so Newcastle can definitely strike while the iron is hot from Covid financial issues and some of the other big European giants are still struggling to rebuild.

Thømas

Supports
Odense Boldklub
Just curious, did you sign up specifically to come on here and defend Newcastle? Do you have any other interests on the forum or is it just this? Genuine question.
I do not wish to defend Newcastle, they are just another club, that sold the sport and their cultural heritage for some immediate succes, based on economics, rather than sports.

I came because i was looking for someone that has an interest in taking this sport back, seems like a common theme in this thread, the apathy towards football in it's current state.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Feel like them getting a big name/elite manager with this current squad/infrastructure/precarious league position could be a big mistake.

For this project to work, they need to stay up this season, which means having a manager who can keep you up no matter what. Ironically, their current one is one of the best at just that.

Even with a potentially whole new squad in January, if they're in a relegation dog-fight, it could get ugly very fast.

For all their money, I genuinely think it's a really tough task to make them competitive at the level they are now aspiring to.

matt10000

I have never cheered Chelsea, City and I will never cheer Newcastle, as far as I am concerned all points are null are void and the real peoples champions and champions that I recognise, over the last few seasons are:

2011 -12 Man Utd (City disqualified)
2012 13 Man Utd
2013-14 Liverpool ((City disqualified)
2014-15 Arsenal (Chelsea and City disqualified)
2015-16 Leicester City
2016-17 Tottenham (Chelsea disqualified)
2017-18 Man Utd ( (City disqualified)
2018-19 Liverpool (City disqualified)
2019-20 Liverpool
2020-21 Man Utd (City disqualified)

Thømas

Supports
Odense Boldklub
CL matters.

FA cup? City can't win UCL, neither PSG.

I don't think the likes of Mbappé and Haaland will go to a team that doesn't play UCL, they are way too high profile for that.

I reckon Newcastle can get the likes Lacazette, Dembele,Martial,Kimmich,Jota,etc but no way they are getting Mbappé and Haaland....way too high profile to not play UCL.
Sure they can, out of the last 4 finalists in the CL 3 of them is PSG, City and Chelsea, then you have Bayern that has the German league in an unprecedented stranglehold.

All based on tuning the sport into wrestling with vast amounts of money and economic inequality.

The players will go where they think the titles will go. And that seems fair to most football fans. Newcastle, not a fan, looks like your best bet currently, not this season, Probably not next, but after that, surely, No reason for the best players to sign 4-5 year deals with other clubs.

Offsideagain

Just remember that the Saudis are investing to get a return, to make more money. Makes you wonder how much money is enough if you can’t get by on a couple of trillions. They will take their time and don’t expect fireworks for at least two seasons. Still don’t think the top drawer players and their wags will fancy the North East although it is really lovely up there, but the weather is worse than Manchester.

matt10000

Just remember that the Saudis are investing to get a return, to make more money. Makes you wonder how much money is enough if you can’t get by on a couple of trillions. They will take their time and don’t expect fireworks for at least two seasons. Still don’t think the top drawer players and their wags will fancy the North East although it is really lovely up there, but the weather is worse than Manchester.
I don't believe that for one minute. They are sport washing plain and simple. Get their name associated with the EPL, a global brand, televised throughout the entire world, across China, India, USA, other parts of Asia directing attention away from their human rights record.

You are right about the weather though, that North Sea breeze hits you as soon as you step outside.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Hyperbole