Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    ------------Henderson-------------
    AWB-----Maguire----Bailly------Shaw
    ---------------------Fred-----------------------
    ---------VDB---------------Pogba---------------
    ----------------------Bruno-----------------------
    ------Greenwood------Rashford-----
    The problem with that is theres literally zero outlets out wide, which will lead to Rashford & Greenwood becoming de facto wingers & Bruno being a false 9. This formation could work with Telles & Dalot, but with fullbacks who struggle going forward like Shaw & Wan Bissaka its not going to work. We saw this exact team away at Everton last season with Lindelof, Matic & McTominay in the Bailly, VDB & Pogba spots and it was a shambles. We reverted to our regular formation in the second half & looked much better.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
    This team is usually good responding to adversity, with their backs to the wall. So I’m hoping for a good response here and over the coming difficult weeks.....then we’ll lose against cannon fodder afterwards, of course :lol:

Bobade

I think it's pretty ridiculous how people are suggesting that we could be in the relegation zone etc. There has been 3 games.

Last season people said the same thing, in fact there were many saying we could actually get relegated and a big thread about it. But that at least came off the back off a rich seam of poor form. Not three games. Knee jerk central.

2 - 0 Man Utd. VDB , Bruno.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    With Cavani confirmed to be unavailable, I hope we play Mason up top and bring Mata or VDB in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    ———-—— The Gay—————
    ——Bailly—Maguire—Shaw——
    -AWB———————————Telles-
    ————Matic——VDB————
    —————Fernandes—————
    ——Greenwood——Rashford——​

Was tempted to opt for Fred instead of Bruno with Donny pushed forward but went a little more adventurous.

5 at the back, some solidity needed. Hope Greenwood or Rashford can get us something, or maybe Fernandes can score us a penalty or two.

Gator Nate

DeGea
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw - Telles
    Fred
    Bruno - Van de Beek
    Greenwood - Rashford

Subs
    Matic, Mata, James​

Newcastle 1-4 MUFC

While it can get very defensive, I think that lineup can switch to very offensive very quickly. Subs Matic and Mata will provide control while James will keep their back line honest.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    The problem with that is theres literally zero outlets out wide, which will lead to Rashford & Greenwood becoming de facto wingers & Bruno being a false 9. This formation could work with Telles & Dalot, but with fullbacks who struggle going forward like Shaw & Wan Bissaka its not going to work. We saw this exact team away at Everton last season with Lindelof, Matic & McTominay in the Bailly, VDB & Pogba spots and it was a shambles. We reverted to our regular formation in the second half & looked much better.
    You’ve completely misremembered that Everton match, we were excellent first half using this formation and then got dominated in the second half. It actually worked pretty well but wasn’t a big enough sample.

Dve

You’ve completely misremembered that Everton match, we were excellent first half using this formation and then got dominated in the second half. It actually worked pretty well but wasn’t a big enough sample.
    Absolutely. The Everton game is no proof that the diamond won´t work. In general, I don´t mind the 4-2-3-1, but I think the diamond will allow better use of our midfielders.

I sort of miss the unpredictability Ole had before. I understand the argument to practise a settled formation, but.

NoPace

With Cavani confirmed to be unavailable, I hope we play Mason up top and bring Mata or VDB in.
    Yeah on form and logic (but keeping Pogba in) the team would probably be something this:

Rashford-Greenwood/VDB-----------------
    ----------------------------------Bruno--------Mata-----
    ----------------------Pogba-------------------------------
    --------------------------------Fred------------------------
    Shaw/Telles------------------------------------AWB
    --------------Uh 2 Center Backs feck-------------
    ------------------------Henderson---------------------

I have no great opinion about VDB or Greenwood being the one to come off the bench, or could also play VDB on the right right and make Mata the go-to option to come in on the hour or whatever.

If you want to risk benching Pogba to wake him up then just plug VDB in his role, maybe move Bruno back a tad deeper. Or you just play Pogba and RW because he isn't playing well, we have much better CM depth than at RW. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up more actually, it solves the issue of not benching what should theoretically be our best player and it's not silly to think he could be pretty good on the right and he doesn't seem mentally engaged enough to be at the heart of things but we get some size and crossing on the right at least.

It's also possible that with Mata only useful to link up up well that he should only start if VDB and Bruno are themselves both starting.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Yeah on form and logic (but keeping Pogba in) the team would probably be something this:

Rashford-Greenwood/VDB-----------------
    ----------------------------------Bruno--------Mata-----
    ----------------------Pogba-------------------------------
    --------------------------------Fred------------------------
    Shaw/Telles------------------------------------AWB
    --------------Uh 2 Center Backs feck-------------
    ------------------------Henderson---------------------

I have no great opinion about VDB or Greenwood being the one to come off the bench, or could also play VDB on the right right and make Mata the go-to option to come in on the hour or whatever.

If you want to risk benching Pogba to wake him up then just plug VDB in his role, maybe move Bruno back a tad deeper. Or you just play Pogba and RW because he isn't playing well, we have much better CM depth than at RW. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up more actually, it solves the issue of not benching what should theoretically be our best player and it's not silly to think he could be pretty good on the right and he doesn't seem mentally engaged enough to be at the heart of things but we get some size and crossing on the right at least.

It's also possible that with Mata only useful to link up up well that he should only start if VDB and Bruno are themselves both starting.
    I don't see what benching Pogba as a wake up call would achieve. There's nothing to suggest he is a negative presence in the changing room or is looked on poorly by his teammates. He's underwhelmed, but we're not particularly playing to his strengths, are we? Either get him out of the double pivot where we are clearly looking for both men to hold or change the system.

quethenoo

------------------------DDG
    AWB ----- Lindelof ----- Maguire ----- Shaw
    ------------------------Fred
    -------------Bruno ----------- DVB
    ------------------------------------------- Pogba
    Greenwood ----- Rashford

Have Pogba floating about the left hand side with freedom to roam, Bruno and DVB as 8's contributing both ways. Get him further away from our goal and closer to the oppositions with less responsibilities. If Shaw doesn't / won't overlap then bring on Telles.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    De Gea
    AWB Maguire Bailly Telles
    Matic VDB
    Fernandes
    Mata Greenwood Rashford

romufc

Its pretty clear how Newcastle will play.

Sit deep for first 20 minutes, let the ball go wide to AWB he will do his usual, lose the ball, 2/3 passes and they will break our midfield and get a shot on goal.

20 mins in they will realise United are there for the taking and get a grip of the game, play football through our midfield at will because none of our DM's are mobile enough to get close to opposition players.

They will get the ball wide and put crosses in where we struggle.

We will try play out the back with 0 success.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Bruno in quarantine?

Cavani elegible?
    There's a chance Bruno won't be available for this? and the next week?
    Don't think Bruno will need to quarantine as he's part of a sporting bubble, so the rules of coming into contact with players catching covid doesn't apply the same way.
    When Mane caught covid a couple days before matchday, Liverpoool still played for example.

Cavani was not part of any sporting bubble, because he was a free agent. So yes he's quarantined for 2 weeks and can only train with the squad 3 days before our PSG match.

Mike Smalling

We are likely to lose this. Newcastle will put up a good fight, which we generally not good at dealing with.

1-0 or 2-1 to them.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Hard to predict as there'll almost certainly be a host of new positive covid tests before this match. Assuming everyone is available as of today, we should scrape it.

After our 6-1 v City, SAF went back to basics. We conceded 2 goals over the next 9 games, winning all but one.

Obviously we had a better team and manager then, and the league's overall standard was lower than today, but if Ole is really trying to emulate SAF's style, going back to basics would be the way to go.

Raven

We need a massive performance here to bounce back from Spurs, captain fantastic should be dropped.

Last edited:

bsCallout

I disagree, as Pogba and Bruno like to pull out wide to create chances. Id probably swap VdB and Bruno as VdB is very clever with his movement.

Telles should still start though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    I'm confident Ole will get them going again and we'll kick on now. I'm willing to put the first 3 games (even though we won one of them somehow) down to lack of pre season and sharpness. 3 or 4 wins now on the trot and maybe a draw and we're right back in the mix.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    I'm confident Ole will get them going again and we'll kick on now. I'm willing to put the first 3 games (even though we won one of them somehow) down to lack of pre season and sharpness. 3 or 4 wins now on the trot and maybe a draw and we're right back in the mix.
    Love the optimism. Others won’t :lol:

Gasolin

Hard to predict as there'll almost certainly be a host of new positive covid tests before this match. Assuming everyone is available as of today, we should scrape it.

After our 6-1 v City, SAF went back to basics. We conceded 2 goals over the next 9 games, winning all but one.

Obviously we had a better team and manager then, and the league's overall standard was lower than today, but if Ole is really trying to emulate SAF's style, going back to basics would be the way to go.
    There is something there. Last season, we started from the basics as well, protecting our defense with a combination of Fred and Scott when Pogba and Matic were either out or under performing. This could be that kind of game but:
    - Last year, we outperformed elite teams by playing Fred and/or Scott and making them protect the defensive line, and moving the ball forward.
    - However, against teams being more scared of us, sitting deep, Pogba and Matic were performing better

Every time we have tried to switch the combination / players the other way around for teams with a different profile, it never worked out.

So the only question we need to answer is whether Newcastle is an elite team that's going to press us high, or a team that is going to sit deep. Assuming the second, we need players like Pogba and Matic to do what they do, and we should win. And then for PSG, we go with Scott and Fred protecting the line, while maybe Bruno and/or Pogba and/or VdB (but only one of them) create.

If we insist on having 2 of them, I would go Pogba and Bruno with Pogba on the left to open the angle, a top 2 of Rashford and Martial, and we think of using VdB and Greenwood at least as offensive options. For PSG.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    He has to get them going for this game, as the following 3 or 4 are all difficult to say the least.

Big game indeed.

SiRed

was this match meant to be on regular sky sports?
    i notice its now on box office. Not paying extra money

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win