Kick-off
Sat, 17 October 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Beaucoup

James and Mata as our starting wingers. How the feck did we land up here? And I have more confidence in Mata out of the pair of them.
    I was tempted to part with 15 quid to watch this, now I’ve seen the line up they can feck right off, I’ll watch strictly instead

el3mel

Very good that Pogba is dropped. Playing Fred and Scott ahead of VDB is really weird though.

Dante

Average bang
    Because we play significantly better with a double pivot rather than a midfield two. It helps us look much more solid defensively whilst giving Bruno a little bit more freedom to play risky passes.

With that extra defensive help, the backline is finally going to finally to get some legs in front of them. Maguire has made a few individual mistakes in recent weeks, but they've been overblown due to it being a handy way to keep the narrative of the Greece incident rolling in the press. He needs to play himself back into form and into confidence. With McTominay and Fred in the side, Ole's selection gives him the opportunity for both.

Offensively, I would have preferred Greenwood to Mata. But Mata has really good chemistry with Bruno, so there's a positive there. James gets a tough rap on this forum. He's not a world beater, but he's a capable threat on the break and his pressing game is very good.

klsv

:lol:

With our squad depth, when Pogba, Martial and Greenwood won't play, this is what we're left with. It's not like Ole can shit out new players.

Godfather

Was such a good idea to not go for a proper winger in the summer (I know we signed these two nobodies but we needed someone to start for us)

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Can people calm down with VDB? Ole's training the team, if he's not playing it means that the coaching team does not think he's ready yet or doesn't fit today.

Fred and McT are probably playing to protect the defense which has been shit and between Bruno and VDB, the choice is easy.

Do people really think that he wouldn't play him if he thought that he would help us win?

That's the best team he could put taking into consideration that Telles trained one day, Cavani, Martial and Greenwood aren't available, and Pogba being shit combined with his flirting with Madrid.
    I think people are just looking at the lineup and thinking maybe Ole doesn’t have a clue mate.

Godfather

Because we play significantly better with a double pivot rather than a midfield two. It helps us look much more solid defensively whilst giving Bruno a little bit more freedom to play risky passes.

With that extra defensive help, the backline is finally going to finally to get some legs in front of them. Maguire has made a few individual mistakes in recent weeks, but they've been overblown due to it being a handy way to keep the narrative of the Greece incident rolling in the press. He needs to play himself back into form and into confidence. With McTominay and Fred in the side, Ole's selection gives him the opportunity for both.

Offensively, I would have preferred Greenwood to Mata. But Mata has really good chemistry with Bruno, so there's a positive there. James gets a tough rap on this forum. He's not a world beater, but he's a capable threat on the break and his pressing game is very good.
    You must see ghosts. He had one or two games early after we signed him where he looked remotely like a "threat". Now he is just pityful.

RedDevil@84

Well he's healthy and fit at the same time that all the starters are either injured or in piss poor form.

Not sure what better conditions would be needed to give him a shot for a change.
    After a 10 month injury he just trained 10 days back or something.

Tiber

Dony not getting in the lineup is bonkers. One of the very few players to impress this season

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Gotta wonder why we got him them. I mean I’m all for squad depth but I’m not sure we’re in a position to blow our summer budget on a player who doesn’t get picked.

Should have put Bruno on the right and Donny in the #10
    Agreed. But we don't even know how to fit in our best player in the team, so i'm not surprised.

Hoof the ball

You expected Ole to completely change our formation with 2 days of training?
    No, I expected that Ole, in his time at United, with the coaching staff at his disposal has more than one approach coached to his team in order that situations such as these might be mitigated. It's not about rushing to change a formation at the last minute, it's about working with multiple formations in training so that multiple approaches can be used depending on personnel available in order that no rushing is necessary in the first instance.

This is not some wide-eyed new thing. A lot of other clubs have used multiple systems effectively this season. It can be done because other teams are doing it. We, however, are not.

Can7onA

So in the MUTV pre match from Ole they have Cast - Walkaway playing in the background :lol:

Godfather

Gotta wonder why we got him them. I mean I’m all for squad depth but I’m not sure we’re in a position to blow our summer budget on a player who doesn’t get picked.

Should have put Bruno on the right and Donny in the #10
    And that's the funny part of it all. Just a completely ridiculous decision once again from one of the most incompetent boards in world football.

GenZRed

On the plus side, Lingard is not in the match day squad.

Perhaps he is being rested for PSG...

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Looks like Ole is stiffening up midfield, adding a bit of bite, which is welcome
    I would think that he is trying to play Maguire back into some form, also by playing Lindelof, who sat alongside Maguire more than any other CB, still prefer Bailly personally, but Ole obviously doesn't, so Tuanzebe will get chances soon I would think. We must be set up for counter attack if James is playing. Mata has looked good, and will create, but not sure he still has the legs for Prem, odds on being replaced during second half. We need to stop shipping goals, so I can understand Fred and Scott playing, just hope that the mistakes we make at the back will not be punished, and the caf don't get on the back of every player who does make a mistake.

yamo123x

Dan James must have won another competition to play. He is totally lost at this level.

He starting ahead of VDB is unimaginable, the only explanation could be that VDB must be in line for PSG game. Its like Ole giving up on the league already.

Godfather

Didn't Ole say United fans can look at his teams and see players they like? I look at his line-up and feel sick

Nik70

I think it's obvious from early in the season that our midfield has been over-run. Ole switching to 2 defensive midfielders means that there is only one spot for the 3 of Bruno, VDB and Pogba. Easy choice going with Bruno. All you negative Nancys need to calm down. This change in tactics is needed.

AneRu

Ole possibly has the CL game in the midweek in mind.... possibly the reason why both Pogba and VDB are on the bench.
    Pardon me but I have to laugh at that, midweek CL game in mind when we have looked so horrible in the league? :houllier:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    Buzzing for this, a bargain to watch united for a mere 15 quid, James and Rashford are gonna dominate! Come on United!

wolvored

I suppose you could say James is a 5/10 on the left rather than a 3/10 on the right. Mata is way too slow for the fast attacking threat which is apparently what ole likes playing. What does VDB haveto do to play. Was he ole's signing or not?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
    Staff
    Apart from VDB starting, what exactly do people want? Not much Ole could do with Mason injured.
    But that's the only thing really. But then he's not a winger, and he obviously wants a solid base in our midfield considering how terrible our defence is.

Now isn't the time to switch to a diamond... We've had like 2 days of training.
    I agree with this. With the circumstances of Martial, Cavani and Greenwood unavailable, Pogba in poor form and Telles a new signing who only started training on Thursday with us going to Newcastle on the Friday, that team is close to the best we can currently field unfortunately. Rather this than persisting with Pogba.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw