Newcastle United

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting player has a lot of good qualities for the league. Sure does put Arsenal to shame if they are pipped to a target by Newcastle.
It's clearly nothing to do with being pipped to him though..

He's not first choice.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Interesting player has a lot of good qualities for the league. Sure does put Arsenal to shame if they are pipped to a target by Newcastle.
It won’t be long before they are pipping United to targets too. This is only the beginning.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Trying for Guimaraes now, which would be a brilliant signing. Feck, they won't take years to get into a top 4.

Hope they get relegated this year .
Absolutely no chance Lyon sell in Jan.

They are miles off having a top four squad, will be ten years before they are even close.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How? Newcastle will be doing this to anyone they want to and it won't be a competition. Secure you and your family's future in unimaginable ways, or dick about with legacy you have no interest or attachment to?

It's only the most elite clubs offering high wages themselves that will be able to fend off Newcastle, and even that won't be for long.

Any club getting into a pissing contest with Newcastle is a stupid one.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Absolutely no chance Lyon sell in Jan.

They are miles off having a top four squad, will be ten years before they are even close.
Haven’t they already accepted the bid?

Whether or not he wants to join them is another matter.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They need a top quality coach. Imagine a Conte with a unlimited war chest..

Champ

Haven’t they already accepted the bid?

Whether or not he wants to join them is another matter.
Haven't seen any credible reports of an accepted bid, only a bid made?

Can't see him wanting to go there when there's rumoured interest from Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc. I'd imagine he will stay put until the summer.

Champ

3. Tops.

If they don't get relegated this season.
You really believe that?

I can't see it myself, there's way too much competition now for top four, City,Liverpool, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham will be in a good position moving forward.

They will have to change 95% of their whole team in two seasons to get top four in three years, and hope that three of the current top seven drop off considerably. That's a huge ask, City started from a much better position than Newcastle.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You really believe that?

I can't see it myself, there's way too much competition now for top four, City,Liverpool, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham will be in a good position moving forward.

They will have to change 95% of their whole team in two seasons to get top four in three years, and hope that three of the current top seven drop off considerably. That's a huge ask, City started from a much better position than Newcastle.
That's 6 transfer windows; there'll obviously be a mass cull this summer, then begins the process of bringing players in. If they're serious about this enterprise and want to get it done quickly, they'll blow everyone out of the water for talent and pay clubs a grossly inflated fee, which they'll gladly accept. Once they get their 'Robinho', the floodgates for other good to great players will open and then there will be no stopping them. FFP is the only restriction, but that doesn't actually do anything.

City had to tread carefully and at least look like they were following the rules, and even they had a massive turnover of players; no such thing stands in the way of Newcastle, plus, players know that these state/oil clubs mean business now and the blueprint making their rise to the top is set and inevitable, which means less hesitation in joining a "project".

Newcastle are surely prudent enough to woo younger players also, ones who haven't gotten their hands on proper, top level wages yet. No proper club is going to match their wages for as yet unproven, potentially elite talent because the risk-reward is excessive. They will have their pick of that area of the market place.

In the 50's, some of the best players of that time found themselves all the way to Columbia because the pay was beyond their wildest imagination; smart agents are going to make a killing bringing players outside of what Newcastle's remit is at any one time into the club - they will hop brackets of player City had to initially tolerate. The whole process will be expedited.

I don't think the names and standings of the clubs you mentioned mean anything. City are the only ones there who can stave Newcastle off financially; once Newcastle are on the horizon, a player with genuine top tier options is going to use those same clubs to get a financial offer from Newcastle that blows everyone else out of the water. The Saudi's don't need to play by any rules and can easily juggernaut their way to the top expeditiously. Once they get a top manager in, it'll just cascade.

Clubs should be looking to shaft them now and hope they get relegated to set them back a few years.

CallyRed

I have a feeling Eddie Howe will be what Mark Hughes was to Man City. Stabilise them at the beginning, then before you know it, Ten Hag is their manager.
Though wouldn't surprise me that if they stayed up, they would sack Howe at the first opportunity and go for an elite manager

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Very possible he goes there in the summer...

If they stay up and Spurs don't meet his demands on transfers, don't see him staying there.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You really believe that?

I don’t think it‘ll take them a lot of time either. Just tell every player they are interested in to run down their contracts and give them 20m in annual wages. Sell or release the current players. Get a nice sponsorship from Saudi Arabia.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think it‘ll take them a lot of time either. Just tell every player they are interested in to run down their contracts and give them 20m in annual wages. Sell or release the current players. Get a nice sponsorship from Saudi Arabia.
Yeah the 10 year projections maybe seem a little too long, but Newcastle still have to compete with City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United for players and then for trophies. I think if they make the CL quickly, then everything else will follow quickly too because once they can offer CL to players on top high wages, then they start becoming a viable option for the truly elite players. They'll likely target the domestic cups to begin with to develop a winning culture and to be seen as a team that can win things.

Looks like Dan Burn might be leaving for Newcastle from Brighton? My Brighton supporting friend has just told me.

That would be a strange one, Burn is average IMO and only looks good in Potters system.

ShinjiNinja26

It's already farcical with them. They're getting players that would never even think twice about going near them without the money.
That was always going to be the case. Why you think Trippier left the Spanish champions for a relegation scrap. Throw enough money at it and something will eventually stick. That’s why I’m praying they get relegated, that way we’ll see the back of them for at least a season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It's already farcical with them. They're getting players that would never even think twice about going near them without the money.
That’s not really farcical though is it? That’s just reality.

If you suddenly had 2 million in your bank, the women who were interested in you would increase in number and objective attractiveness… it wouldn’t mean ALL said women were only into you solely for the money, or that they couldn’t fall in Love with you - but the money would be a major factor in your initial appeal.

With Newcastle they are obviously going to attract better players than the average PL side now! But those players might also be excited at joining a club that is quite clearly on the up and is very likely to soon become a very powerful team…

If anything, they could be commended for being willing to join and take on a relegation battle, rather than waiting for the club to ensure its PL survival.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
United and Arsenal and Spurs are fecking idiots for letting Guimaraes go to Newcastle for 32m :eek:
He'd instantly be the best midfielder in any of those clubs and would be a great signing for us, and yet ... Newcastle .. for 32m.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That was always going to be the case. Why you think Trippier left the Spanish champions for a relegation scrap. Throw enough money at it and something will eventually stick. That’s why I’m praying they get relegated, that way we’ll see the back of them for at least a season.
TBF to Trippier he also wanted to come home and he’s a northern lad.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I’d rather Newcastle dominate than City if it’s the choice of the two tbh.

redshaw

Pretty sure they'll be staying up whether they sign Lingard or not. Trippier has added a lot of quality already, plus a few more arriving. We might as well let Lingard go to them or Everton at least and get some dosh.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
United and Arsenal and Spurs are fecking idiots for letting Guimaraes go to Newcastle for 32m :eek:
He'd instantly be the best midfielder in any of those clubs and would be a great signing for us, and yet ... Newcastle .. for 32m.
The only explanation is we're about to get rinsed on a striker and just can't afford a 30m+ midfielder on top of it. From his point of view i guess PSG don't really care about him, Juve are about to go bankrupt buying Vlahovic and United signing midfielders is a meme. Very strange.

UnitedFire

Yeah the 10 year projections maybe seem a little too long, but Newcastle still have to compete with City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United for players and then for trophies. I think if they make the CL quickly, then everything else will follow quickly too because once they can offer CL to players on top high wages, then they start becoming a viable option for the truly elite players. They'll likely target the domestic cups to begin with to develop a winning culture and to be seen as a team that can win things.
I'm sorry but anyone thinking it'll take 10 years is living on a prayer. If they got relegated this might just delay things a little.

The model is set and Newcastle is an exciting proposition. The Saudi government want to flex their muscle and will do whatever it takes. They could invest £3-4 billion and still get that back in the valuation of Newcastle. Just look at how the value of City has shot up.

For a lot of players even now it'll be an exciting journey. There is something to be felt about taking a team from the bottom to the top and that could be more of an allure than a team already at the top. It's a challenge and they'll likely still be well rewarded for joining it.

The one thing going against them is the cold of Newcastle, but I doubt that'll be a big factor.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only explanation is we're about to get rinsed on a striker and just can't afford a 30m+ midfielder on top of it. From his point of view i guess PSG don't really care about him, Juve are about to go bankrupt buying Vlahovic and United signing midfielders is a meme. Very strange.
Can see Arsenal getting Isak with Vlahović off now. But it's still weird, given how obvious a choice Guimaraes would've been for your midfield. Still good priced or free options available like Kamara, Brozović, Bennacer, and then some lower quality ones like Bissouma and Neves, but they'll quickly slip off the table with all the clubs in need.

SuperiorXI

Doesnt that apply to most English clubs?
Newcastle are now far and away from other clubs, it's not even close.

I know, I just don't like it at all. If they get relegated it will be hilarious but it's only a matter of time until they're winning trebles/quadruples. At least it's not City/Liverpool I suppose!

That’s not really farcical though is it? That’s just reality.

If you suddenly had 2 million in your bank, the women who were interested in you would increase in number and objective attractiveness… it wouldn’t mean ALL said women were only into you solely for the money, or that they couldn’t fall in Love with you - but the money would be a major factor in your initial appeal.

With Newcastle they are obviously going to attract better players than the average PL side now! But those players might also be excited at joining a club that is quite clearly on the up and is very likely to soon become a very powerful team…

If anything, they could be commended for being willing to join and take on a relegation battle, rather than waiting for the club to ensure its PL survival.
Of course it is, it's a mockery on the level playing field, they're not the first club to do it either but the levels of wealth they now have will ensure they cause the most damage to the league over time.

Blood Mage

If they avoid relegation they will be competing for the league in three years. It's wishful thinking to assume otherwise. Let's just pray that they get relegated.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Newcastle are now far and away from other clubs, it's not even close.

I know, I just don't like it at all. If they get relegated it will be hilarious but it's only a matter of time until they're winning trebles/quadruples. At least it's not City/Liverpool I suppose!

Of course it is, it's a mockery on the level playing field, they're not the first club to do it either but the levels of wealth they now have will ensure they cause the most damage to the league over time.
But then, it’s not a level playing field between Man Utd and West Ham, or between Everton and Brighton…

I get that it’s a different discrepancy and for different reasons, but fans of the huge clubs especially shouldn’t really be whining about it not being a level playing field - because it isn’t level as it is and never has been.

Baxter

Their fans blabbing on about corruption. Unfair on the player etc.

SuperiorXI

But then, it’s not a level playing field between Man Utd and West Ham, or between Everton and Brighton…

I get that it’s a different discrepancy and for different reasons, but fans of the huge clubs especially shouldn’t really be whining about it not being a level playing field - because it isn’t level as it is and never has been.
The point is the vast wealth of the Saudi's is going to blast Newcastle up and way past everyone in a very short space of time, an unprecedented shift in the dynamics of the league, it's going to make a mockery of it.

In the case of United, we took many years to establish ourselves and now make our money from our huge fanbase.