Newcastle United

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I thought we could have a thread to discuss the team itself, separate from the takeover, the political and social issues etc.

According to the telegraph, they suddenly have £190m to spend this January.

It's safe to say, they'll dip into the market to bolster the squad given the current team is in real danger of relegation.

Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Antonio Conte appear to be to the front runners to replace Bruce.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I thought we could have a thread to discuss the team itself, separate from the takeover, the political and social issues etc.

According to the telegraph, they suddenly have £190m to spend this January.

It's safe to say, they'll dip into the market to bolster the squad given the current team is in real danger of relegation.

Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Antonio Conte appear to be to the front runners to replace Bruce.

What the feck? Where’s that come from? This didn’t need white text.

diarm

They have some half decent players who will do a job for the next year or so. I'd say Dubravka, Lewis, Lascelles, Willock, Almiron, Saint-Maximin and Wilson are all grand for now.

They need a centre back, a right back, 2 centre mids, a left winger and maybe a top class centre forward with Wilson's injury issues.

Nero

Already in the relegation zone and most of this squad know they'll be getting binned at the first opportunity. They'll probably give even less of a shit.

Relegation on the cards.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They have some half decent players who will do a job for the next year or so. I'd say Dubravka, Lewis, Lascelles, Willock, Almiron, Saint-Maximin and Wilson are all grand for now.

They need a centre back, a right back, 2 centre mids, a left winger and maybe a top class centre forward with Wilson's injury issues.
I think they'll try and get a big name or two, whoever they can convince to join to get the ball rolling for the summer spree.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Do they need a couple of holding mids? If so, I know a couple of guys...

Zoo

Can only see Saint-Maximin definitely having a long term future there. Otherwise they are dire. Maybe Callum Wilson but he is unreliable because of his injury record, and Lascelles could have some kind of Lescott at City role.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Pub quiz question in 10 years: "Who was Newcastle's captain at the time of their Takeover in 2021? Answer: Jamaal Lascelles.. who was sold in summer of 2022."

I ask the same question of City now and I can't remember. I'll have a guess though.. Richard Dunne?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Do they need a couple of holding mids? If so, I know a couple of guys...
We were talking about this in the office today. We all have a couple of players in our teams we'd like Newcastle to overspend on. I certainly don't mind selling them Barkley and Ziyech for £50m a pop.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wouldn’t it be funny to see them get relegated

FatTails

We now have more Newcastle threads than Ole threads. No one could’ve predicted that a few days ago.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Hopefully they do a QPR and buy has-been players like Bosingwa. I always remember the video of him swapping shirts and smiling like he won a raffle as soon as the final whistle blew and QPR were officially relegated. Man couldn't give any less fecks :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Trippier - signed.
Botman - bidding.

Also looking at Diego Carlos from Sevilla.

That's a decent backline , definitely better than most of the PL sides on paper.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Only two points of safety, three really poor teams at the bottom with them and bringing in the quality throughout January.

Needing time to gel or not, if Howe takes them down after a really strong window, it’s a serious dent to his reputation.

The pressure is well and truly on and everyone will want them to lose.

Jonathan Brown

Supports
Newcastle United
Not going to get giddy. No chance we can avoid relegation. Even with signings we need a 200% improvement from a first half of season performance to stand a chance. 25 ponts from 18 games. No chance unless a mid table team crash and burn.
Signings will paper over cracks and jump ship in summer. Not sure what strategy awaits then?
Hoping for better, more progressive football with these signings. Anything else is a bonus.

marktan

I think they'll survive, mostly because Watford have turned crap under Ranieri. They should've opened a good gap with the games in hand they had, but they didn't.

A stronger back line will help but I'd be surprised if they're not going for a decent midfielder. It's the midfield where they've been loosing games, they have good attackers in Maximin etc but seldom ever build anything in midfield.

Shame though because it would have been funny for them to get relegated immediately after the Saudis bought them. But money speaks..

Jonathan Brown

Supports
Newcastle United
I think they'll survive, mostly because Watford have turned crap under Ranieri. They should've opened a good gap with the games in hand they had, but they didn't.

A stronger back line will help but I'd be surprised if they're not going for a decent midfielder. It's the midfield where they've been loosing games, they have good attackers in Maximin etc but seldom ever build anything in midfield.

Shame though because it would have been funny for them to get relegated immediately after the Saudis bought them. But money speaks..
Doesn't seem to have for United recently ;-)

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Loads of expensive dead wood to buy from other leagues in Europe.

With a decent window they can definitely climb out of the relegation zone and should be able to finish above Norwich, Burnley, Watford and maybe Leeds too.

SirScholes

Not going to get giddy. No chance we can avoid relegation. Even with signings we need a 200% improvement from a first half of season performance to stand a chance. 25 ponts from 18 games. No chance unless a mid table team crash and burn.
Signings will paper over cracks and jump ship in summer. Not sure what strategy awaits then?
Hoping for better, more progressive football with these signings. Anything else is a bonus.
If you don’t survive it’ll not only be the funniest thing I’ve seen but also one of the worst performance of a manger and board.

still half a season and the teams above you are so poor the bar has been set low.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think it matters what defenders you sign with Howe in charge. It's similar to AVB when he was in the PL. The way they play is going to leak goals.

Pep's Suit

They should fire that donkey Howe before it's too late. I'm sure someone like Valverde would do well there.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Beaten by a University :lol:
Well, if they can't even beat a bunch a lads who needed permission slips to go to the toilet just 2 years ago, they might as well fold and call it a day.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not the worst thing if they best Watford but they were awful today. They'll probably go all in on splashing the cash in the next few days.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You just know Newcastle, even with 100s of millions of quid to lash around will still not find it easy don't you :lol:

Tarrou

They should get Fat Sam in now so he’s got time to get a few warhorses in before the window shuts