Newcastle United

SER19

What an incredible turn around. Really showing others how it's done and shame on Burnley Norwich Leeds and Watford for not being able to keep up. This is a great PL escape story

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's deplorable but what about Chelsea and City? He may have a murky background but MBS has done nothing but good for our club and the city of Newcastle. Top man.
It'll be interesting when Saudi Arabia annex Tyne and Wear

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It's deplorable but what about Chelsea and City? He may have a murky background but MBS has done nothing but good for our club and the city of Newcastle. Top man.
That is a massive understatement.

You are absolutely sickening if you think he is a top man, give your head a shake.

Chipper

Adulterer.
19 points out of 21. Kind fixture list in that time but they might even get top 10 at this rate unfortunately.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
19 points out of 21. Kind fixture list in that time but they might even get top 10 at this rate unfortunately.
Very impressive. We play them on Sunday. Tough match I’m expecting, Chelsea usually struggled against Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth side.

Wayne's World

Any chance of them being sanctioned since they are way worse then what Chelsea have done?

Or does blood money talk more?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Kind fixture list means feck all. Ask Rangnick!
Means feck all to us, I'll give you that but I think it means something.

Still, it's the kind of haul you might expect past title winners to pick up against the sorts of teams they've been playing so good form indeed. Not that they're as good as that yet.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They'll finish in the top half at this rate.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As seen in the Ambro thread, its quite amazing the lengths fans go in sweeping certain regimes abhorrent crimes under the carpet because their new found ownership have the potential of making something as utterly trivial ,in the grand schemes, as producing a competitive kick ball team.

They will continue to have my undivided contempt.

JustAGuest

Nobody in the world has done worse than Putin's war. Stop underplaying it.
Chelsea aren't directly owned by Putin. The Newcastle ownership is easily worse (and I'm by no means defending Chelsea either).

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
As seen in the Ambro thread, its quite amazing the lengths fans go in sweeping certain regimes abhorrent crimes under the carpet because their new found ownership have the potential of making something as utterly trivial ,in the grand schemes, as producing a competitive kick ball team.

They will continue to have my undivided contempt.
Do you think that part of the reason you apparently hold such strong views is that it’s very convenient for you to do so? I mean, it’s a great stick to beat City, Chelsea and Newcastle with isn’t it.

padzilla

Hipster
Has anyone in the bottom three spent 80m in the Jan transfer windown before?

It's not hard to see what's behind Newcastle's resurgence.

ShinjiNinja26

I’d love it if this lot got sanctioned as well just as they’re starting to get good. Hovering around top 4 and then it all comes crashing down. Unlikely I know but one can dream.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has anyone in the bottom three spent 80m in the Jan transfer windown before?

It's not hard to see what's behind Newcastle's resurgence.
Only regular starters have been Dan Burn, Chris Wood and Matt Targett.

Guimaraes only started recently and Trippier been out since mid Feb.

He's got far more out of likes of Ryan Fraser than Steve Bruce was so that's more down to their resurgence.

padzilla

Hipster
Do you think that part of the reason you apparently hold such strong views is that it’s very convenient for you to do so? I mean, it’s a great stick to beat City, Chelsea and Newcastle with isn’t it.
I think that's disingenous to say the least. Plenty of United fans, myself included, breathed a huge sigh of relief when rumours linking us with being bought by the Saudi regime proved to be just that - even though it would have guaranteed we would have resources to outmatch anyone.

There is more to life than football after all and you have to have something resembling standards of decency, I get the feeling though that some fans would feel justified with a Myra Hindley / Voldemort takeover if they guaranteed big name signings.

padzilla

Hipster
Only regular starters have been Dan Burn, Chris Wood and Matt Targett.

Guimaraes only started recently and Trippier been out since mid Feb.

He's got far more out of likes of Ryan Fraser than Steve Bruce was so that's more down to their resurgence.
For the record, there's no doubt Eddie Howe is an accomplished manager and is making the most of what he has but it can't be denied the takeover is the main reason for the upturn in onfield fortunes.

None of the clubs around them were beneficiaries of such lavish investment and the gulf in class is clear.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think that's disingenous to say the least. Plenty of United fans, myself included, breathed a huge sigh of relief when rumours linking us with being bought by the Saudi regime proved to be just that - even though it would have guaranteed we would have resources to outmatch anyone.

There is more to life than football after all and you have to have something resembling standards of decency, I get the feeling though that some fans would feel justified with a Myra Hindley / Voldemort takeover if they guaranteed big name signings.
I do agree that there are some who would want success at any cost. I just think it’s not coincidence that there is such a strong reaction on here when the logical consequence of ‘bad’ nations or national wealth funds owning Prem clubs just happens to be that Utd would once again be the club with the biggest financial fire power. It’s like the whole moral argument against FFP, which was specifically designed by the biggest ‘old money’ clubs to stop any new clubs taking their places at the top table. It was deliberate strategical setting of the rules to benefit the existing big clubs but that doesn’t seem to be recognised here.

padzilla

Hipster
Bit harsh, one of the three players they bought has been injured, and one has got a single goal since he joined I believe. Newcastle are where they are for a few different reasons (squad additions, new manager, strength of opposition, increased motivation of players etc) but to put it all down to an injured RB, a centre forward with one goal, and

I do agree that there are some who would want success at any cost. I just think it’s not coincidence that there is such a strong reaction on here when the logical consequence of ‘bad’ nations or national wealth funds owning Prem clubs just happens to be that Utd would once again be the club with the biggest financial fire power. It’s like the whole moral argument against FFP, which was specifically designed by the biggest ‘old money’ clubs to stop any new clubs taking their places at the top table. It was deliberate strategical setting of the rules to benefit the existing big clubs but that doesn’t seem to be recognised here.
Yes, you make some excellent points, there is no question that many supporters of clubs, myself included, have a conflict of interest and would stand to benefit from new challengers suddenly being stripped of status.

However, I think it's equally understandable to draw the line at clubs being bought by governments with unsavoury track records on human rights - and I include the club I support in that, it would be a line too far for me but, then being a bleeding heart liberal, I may see it very differently than others.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Yes, you make some excellent points, there is no question that many supporters of clubs, myself included, have a conflict of interest and would stand to benefit from new challengers suddenly being stripped of status.

However, I think it's equally understandable to draw the line at clubs being bought by governments with unsavoury track records on human rights - and I include the club I support in that, it would be a line too far for me but, then being a bleeding heart liberal, I may see it very differently than others.
I should say here that I’m also a complete lefty bleeding heart liberal, and proud of it. It’s objectively the fairest way to view the world and I fecking hate the situation we are in at the moment, where the richest people in this country have managed to convince the poorest that they’re poor because of other poor people who need help, not because of the rich themselves. Drives me absolutely mad.

Anyway, that aside (!), I also agree there should be better oversight but for me, and just in terms of the excitement of football, the 90’s and 2000’s were boring for anyone who wasn’t a Utd fan in the most part and I’m way more engaged with the premiership with the possibility of new powerhouse clubs changing the landscape. But equally I’m aware there’s a dark side to football that I’m not comfortable with.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
For the record, there's no doubt Eddie Howe is an accomplished manager and is making the most of what he has but it can't be denied the takeover is the main reason for the upturn in onfield fortunes.

None of the clubs around them were beneficiaries of such lavish investment and the gulf in class is clear.
This is the truth. Other than Everton, I don’t remember if any of the bottom teams spent any money in January. I could be wrong, I really didn’t pay attention to those clubs.

A takeover at a crucial part of the season definitely had an effect on the balance of the competition. Granted it could have come earlier but had it come in February instead I don’t see them having such an improvement in such a short time frame.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
I think Rudiger would be a great signing for Newcastle. Strengthens them and weakens Chelsea.

I know he’s going to leave anyway because of this contract situation and Chelsea can’t renew anything.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United

Yes and no. The takeover - and with it the promise of future insane paydays/building the club etc - are a draw and an appeal, yes. Unquestionably.

It's an easy conclusion to draw because it often holds true but "They spent a lot of money so the talent must be why they're doing well" is wrong.

If you've watched us during the run you know the vast amount of credit for improvement is down to
1. Howe getting the midfield (Shelvey, Fraser, Joelinton, Willock, ASM) playing at levels they never did under Bruce and getting our back four organized.
2. The defensive improvements brought by Burn(CB), Trippier(RB) and Targett(LB) (25m combined)

The other 60m of that 85m has basically had 0 impact so far -

35m - Bruno Guimares - 75th minute+ sub appearances until his start last game. He has been a non factor in the push.
25m - Chris Wood - an insane release clause we paid because Callum Wilson is injured. No one in the world - not even Chris Wood - thinks Chris Wood is worth 25m.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yes and no. The takeover - and with it the promise of future insane paydays/building the club etc - are a draw and an appeal, yes. Unquestionably.

It's an easy conclusion to draw because it often holds true but "They spent a lot of money so the talent must be why they're doing well" is wrong.

If you've watched us during the run you know the vast amount of credit for improvement is down to
1. Howe getting the midfield (Shelvey, Fraser, Joelinton, Willock, ASM) playing at levels they never did under Bruce and getting our back four organized.
2. The defensive improvements brought by Burn(CB), Trippier(RB) and Targett(LB) (25m combined)

35m - Bruno Guimares - 75th minute+ sub appearances until his start last game. He has been a non factor in the push.
25m - Chris Wood - an insane release clause we paid because Callum Wilson is injured. No one in the world - not even Chris Wood - thinks Chris Wood is worth 25m.
Wood and Bruno won you the game the other night. Spending also doesn’t just impact the club through the actual signings but I don’t think the buzz it generates around the club can be understated.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Wood and Bruno won you the game the other night. Spending also doesn’t just impact the club through the actual signings but I don’t think the buzz it generates around the club can be understated.
They did, but I'm talking in the context of the whole recent upturn in form since the embarrassing loss to Cambridge on 15 Jan - 6W 2D 0L 15GF 6GA. It's just not up for debate that in that timeframe they have not played a major role in results. I can't stop people from explaining it away with "they spent a lot" but I think Howe deserves more credit than he gets.

Ludens the Red

Im sure under the table avoiding relegation bonuses have also had nothing to do with it….:smirk:
If your players weren’t offered at least a mill a head for avoiding the drop I’d be surprised.