Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Hey everyone, still enjoying all the draft forum stuff a lot.

What kept me from joining one of the latest drafts was the focus on (more or less) complicated rules & restrictions many of them had. I know that's what gets most of you going, but since I've not done the regular stuff 1000x already, I'd prefer more straighforward teambuilding for a first run as a solo player.

So if a future draft goes down with simpler rules (straight ahead picking from a pool, no blocking/reinforcement shenanigans, etc.), I may join in.

Ideas:

- Rebuilding historic teams without their actual players (or only a few)
- Back To Back To Basics Draft (when you all get too bored by the sophisticated stuff)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I'm also thinking about hosting a „Build around a GOAT“ draft at some point - without a block list, but with heavy restrictions on the number of all-timers and draft regulars for each team.

Kind of a mix of Peaches & Goat, Stars & Reserves, Tactical Draft, and Crap Draft, but different to each. The idea is to really let the GOATs shine, highlight tactics, and feature favourite players who usually don't get picked.

So if there's interest, I might work this one out. But I'd really like to wait for the Top 20 lists to be completed first, as I'd partly use them for reference. So nothing for the next one or two drafts.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What about we restart that snakes and ladders one that got called off after a few picks?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm also thinking about hosting a „Build around a GOAT“ draft at some point - without a block list, but with heavy restrictions on the number of all-timers and draft regulars for each team.

Kind of a mix of Peaches & Goat, Stars & Reserves, Tactical Draft, and Crap Draft, but different to each. The idea is to really let the GOATs shine, highlight tactics, and feature favourite players who usually don't get picked.

So if there's interest, I might work this one out. But I'd really like to wait for the Top 20 lists to be completed first, as I'd partly use them for reference. So nothing for the next one or two drafts.
Yeah I had a similar idea, will drop you a message to see if it's on the same page.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah I'm in for anything fun related. Straight forward snakes have become a bit boring so there has to be some sort of theme in place.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That snakes and ladders thread has to go down as a classic, been skim reading over it and it's hilarious.

Feck this card shit. I don't have time to do inter dimensional mathematics.

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PLAY A CARD PLAYS IT THIS ROUND (EFFECTIVE NEXT ROUND). ALL CARDS BECOME INACTIVE THEREAFTER.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
we need another board game as those are the best drafts, i was thinking risk but couldnt find a way....if someone wants to lock horns to find a solution drop me a pm.

Moby

Dick
Think this is a great time to go for a board game one, we have some tight restricted drafts lately so should go for a fun one next.

Šjor Bepo

RISK Draft

Armies

There are 4 complete set of armies, each containing 2 types:
1. Juan Mata(worth 1)
2. Odion Ighalo(worth 3)

Start the game by placing Juan Mata pieces. Later, you can trade in 3 Juan Matas for 1 Odion Ighalo.

Specific Armies
Every army out of 4 will have 4 draft players.
Green Street Hooligans
Scrappy's
Drunk Fools
Poets
Each army will have their convo where they can plan their strategy, send tasks, bribe the Iron Lady etc. Attacks though need to be announced in the main thread and that can be done by any member of the specific army.

Cards
  • 42 Cards are marked with a territory and a picture of Juan Mata or Odion Ighalo
  • Two "wild" cards marked with all two pictures, but no territory.
  • You get a card for every territory you conquer

During the War.....
....you can change your cards for new soldiers + if you hold the whole continent for the whole round you get a bonus of additional soldiers for the next round.
  • 3 Juan Mata cards - 2 additional soldiers
  • 3 Odion Ighalo cards - 4 additional soldiers
  • Continent bonus: Asia(7), North America(4), Europe(5), South America(3), Australia(2), Africa(4)
  • Every turn you get 2 additional soldiers no matter what.

....when you skip all the Albert nonsense you get to the Act of War, this are the rules of engagement:
Its sad but war isnt fair, man behind the Iron Curtain will decide who wins specific battles. There will be a task for every life of Juan Mata and the loser of the specific battle will lose 1 soldier per task.
Attack can be stopped at any time and is stopped when you dont have enough soldiers to attack, which is when you get to the last one. Every team is allowed 3 attacks per round.
In a battle against the Eddie Howe's Bournemouth your every hit is worth twice so if you win your battle you will kill 2 soldiers, if you lose you lose just one soldier.
How the battle against the Bournemouth will be decided is yet to be decided! :D

How to actually draft a player?
Every territory will mark a certain nation/club/competition/criteria. If you hold your territory for 3 rounds you can then pick a player from that spot. For the next player from that same spot you need to wait for another 3 rounds, you can only pick 2 players from the same spot in the initial phase of War.
You can also decide not to pick a player from a certain spot after holding it for 3 rounds.

Object of the Game
Build the best squad you can, minimum 14 max 16

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Working on the board with Olly, reckon the rules still need sorting but got much further then before. All questions/suggestions are welcomed if there is even any interest in this :lol:

Šjor Bepo

:lol: If that's an actual game I've never played it, so will need a lot more explanation to start off but sure I'm in.
its a game but i changed it a bit as it would be impossible to play it as it is, feck this also has as good chance as any to finish like Edgars snakes and ladders but feck it :D

Šjor Bepo

:lol: harms flipping the board after edgar places russia in asia

Moby

Dick
We can also do a monopoly board if this gets too complicated
Yeah.

@Edgar Allan Pillow In the previous Monopoly drafts we didn't really involve money aspect of it, can we do something on that? For example, you had different criteria on different boxes, some of which were great ones like 'Pick a South American player' etc and some were fecked up like 'Pick someone who has less than 10 caps' etc.

What we can maybe do is also give everyone starting money, and put a price on all the criteria. So in that case, the easy ones which guarantee top players have a higher price to them, and the difficult ones have a lower price. This would make the managers strategise on whether to spend on a particular criteria or save it for the other good ones. Also if they don't want to spend on a particular box they should be able to pass. So this would mean if you run out of money even if you end up on a great box you may not be able to pick a player.

(If we don't want to have the strategy element above we can just remove the option to Pass, and say if you have enough money after landing on a box you HAVE to spend, but I think I prefer giving managers the option, or maybe make some tougher boxes mandatory else everyone will pass on them).

So we can use a board pretty similar to the real Monopoly one. Have the same Community Chest and Chance cards to add/deduct money to manager's kitty and so on. And have that $200 everytime they pass Start.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah.

@Edgar Allan Pillow In the previous Monopoly drafts we didn't really involve money aspect of it, can we do something on that? For example, you had different criteria on different boxes, some of which were great ones like 'Pick a South American player' etc and some were fecked up like 'Pick someone who has less than 10 caps' etc.

What we can maybe do is also give everyone starting money, and put a price on all the criteria. So in that case, the easy ones which guarantee top players have a higher price to them, and the difficult ones have a lower price. This would make the managers strategise on whether to spend on a particular criteria or save it for the other good ones. Also if they don't want to spend on a particular box they should be able to pass. So this would mean if you run out of money even if you end up on a great box you may not be able to pick a player.

(If we don't want to have the strategy element above we can just remove the option to Pass, and say if you have enough money after landing on a box you HAVE to spend, but I think I prefer giving managers the option, or maybe make some tougher boxes mandatory else everyone will pass on them).

So we can use a board pretty similar to the real Monopoly one. Have the same Community Chest and Chance cards to add/deduct money to manager's kitty and so on. And have that $200 everytime they pass Start.
That sounds great. Don't know if we'd be able to work in the buying of properties so we get money off of each other. Would make everyones rolls interesting to everyone. Maybe just randomise the board and split them between managers

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Chess board also has a huge potential if someone can come up with a theme.

Maybe something like all 16 players get a queen that will be placed somewhere from A 1 to H 1 and A 8 to H 8 at the start of the game.

All 64 square will have a criteria set.

You can make any valid move with your queen and make a pick.

You can't move to a square more than once (except the starting square)

You cant move to a square already occupied by someone else.

Just a random idea on the top of my head as to how it can be. I am sure there can be better more creative ideas too.