Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
This would be my preference as well. It's just when we had the Managers draft is suddenly came as a surprise to me that one manager could've been picked twice :lol:
It was necessary because we were choosing from managers pool which was drastically different between managers. Here the manager pool is just exclusion list, so available pool is huge. So double picking should not make a difference.

@Synco what's critieria for win? Closest in replication of tactics? Best in vs match? Combination of both? Theoritically we can see a GOAT heavy team that is not a tactical replication vs a tactically good replication but less GOATS. Who wins in that case?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It was necessary because we were choosing from managers pool which was drastically different between managers. Here the manager pool is just exclusion list, so available pool is huge. So double picking should not make a difference.

@Synco what's critieria for win? Closest in replication of tactics? Best in vs match? Combination of both? Theoritically we can see a GOAT heavy team that is not a tactical replication vs a tactically good replication but less GOATS. Who wins in that case?
It was the right decision, I was just surprised — especially since I was a total newbie back then that thought that I lucked out by being top of the list.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In

It was the right decision, I was just surprised — especially since I was a total newbie back then that thought that I lucked out by being top of the list.
Remember how naively surprised you were when me and Theon also went for Trap, and then tried to lock you out of a top quality CM by picking Matthaus first.

harms

Staff
Remember how naively surprised you were when me and Theon also went for Trap, and then tried to lock you out of a top quality CM by picking Matthaus first.
Yeah :lol: Good old days.

I was so lucky that you went out to that Xavi-Iniesta (Busquets?) midfield in the first round, otherwise you surely would've taken my place in the final.

I recently looked at that final and boy, had I fecked that up as well (and with more focus on slightly off-top van Basten and Gullit could've possibly won me that otherwise unwinnable game).

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That would be cool. We could then have a never won a draft draft.
I would be up for hosting this if there's any interest, should have time to spare over the next couple of months! :)

THE VIRGIN DRAFT

Draft Rules

1. Selection pool consists of players who have never won a Redcafe mains draft.
2. Alfredo Di Stéfano cannot be picked.
3. You can select a maximum of 1 player who doesn't have at least 1 full game online.
4. Initial squads will be formed of 12 players.
5. Snake style drafting.
6. Picks will be timed to speed things up, but you will be afforded up to 8 hours to make your pick.
7. Once the pick is posted there is no going back. In case of an invalid pick, the next manager doesn't need to wait but the invalid pick can be replaced anytime.
8. Players will be judged on a career peak of 3 years (peak years are to be specified in the formation graphic).
9. No naming of unpicked players.
10. Bonus at the end of first round of selections.

Match Rules

1. There shall be no subs during the game, but tactical changes are permitted.
2. In the event of a draw, the winner shall be decided based on the goalkeeper standings from the Caf. In case both goalkeepers are not on the list the winner will be decided by a non playing draft member.

Reinforcements

• Quarterfinal: Sheep style reinforcement from teams that lost their Round 1 matches. Maximum of up to 2 players as reinforcement.
• Semifinal: You can pick anyone from teams that lost their Round 1 or Quarterfinal matches — and you also have the option of selecting unpicked players. 2 players as reinforcement.
• Final: You can steal 2 players from the other finalist over 3 rounds, and block 2 player from your own team for a maximum of 2 times each. Once picked you cannot return the player(s).

Signups

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco what's critieria for win? Closest in replication of tactics? Best in vs match? Combination of both?
I'd say this.

Matches will be played the usual way. The basic tactical possibilities are limited by a manager's historical repertoire (which in some cases can be pretty wide, of course). If you put a ball-hogging GOAT winger on a Pep team, I'm sure that people will recognize the negative effect on possession tactics and fluidity. Also not good to put Iniesta on the wings in a counter attacking team, or Facchetti/Nilton into a system that requires a left-footed overlapper. I guess the neutrals will see such inconsistencies, and the opponent will use it in the discussion as well.
Theoritically we can see a GOAT heavy team that is not a tactical replication vs a tactically good replication but less GOATS. Who wins in that case?
That hypothetical GOAT heavy team must work under the philosophy of the manager, otherwise it should be seen as dysfunctional.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco throw up the draft thread?
Should be done, yes. But I think as a newbie host I'd need a bit of time for finding my feet with rules and suchlike. I'll turn to @Physiocrat & @Šjor Bepo for advice. (Are you guys available this weekend?)

Would be cool if you lot have a little patience while I get my act together. Try to put it up tomorrow evening at the latest.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Signups can be done in any case:

ALL TIME GREAT MANAGER DRAFT
  1. Gio
  2. Michael
  3. Himannv
  4. harms
  5. 2mufc0
  6. Sjor
  7. Synco
  8. Enigma
  9. x
  10. x
  11. x
  12. x
  13. x
  14. x
  15. x
  16. x
Please protest in case I put someone in erroneously.

@Edgar Allan Pillow @Physiocrat
Are you in?

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
ALL TIME GREAT MANAGER DRAFT
  1. Gio
  2. Michael
  3. Himannv
  4. harms
  5. 2mufc0
  6. Sjor
  7. Synco
  8. Enigma
  9. EAP
  10. Big D
  11. x
  12. x
  13. x
  14. x
  15. x
  16. x

Moby

Dick
Think it's time to do a Modern Draft, we've been at the all time pool for far too long and even with the restrictions it's kinda gotten stale. So probably have a modern pool next, and might even with just the young players so a U-23/U-25 draft.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How often have you done drafts that completely remove the elite players - those who tend to be on block lists, or cost a fortune in the purchase or auction-style drafts?

A draft with a top-end cap would surely force more variety and creativity from the drafters and enable other players to shine?

Also, have you ever done a 'won nothing' draft? Players who have no major trophies to their name, or an alternative being players whose greatest achievement is a domestic cup, something like that? Kills the pool of elites, too, which as with the former, forces variety and the unearthing of relative gems.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
How often have you done drafts that completely remove the elite players - those who tend to be on block lists, or cost a fortune in the purchase or auction-style drafts?

A draft with a top-end cap would surely force more variety and creativity from the drafters and enable other players to shine?

Also, have you ever done a 'won nothing' draft? Players who have no major trophies to their name, or an alternative being players whose greatest achievement is a domestic cup, something like that? Kills the pool of elites, too, which as with the former, forces variety and the unearthing of relative gems.
There's my old Peaches and a GOAT draft which valued each player and gave you a budget - picks were snake style.

There was the reserve draft for players that didn't appear in a previous all-time draft. Invictus' Virgin Draft idea blocks all players who have won a draft. Synco has the build around a GOAT draft but we need to work out exactly who is blocked etc to make it work.

harms

Staff
Yeah, it's insanely hard to do as the grey area is way too big. There are lots of South American players with not fully filled wiki, there are tons of different tournaments (multiple Brazilian championships, stuff like the Latin Cup, Fairs Cup etc.) to consider... if someone were to create a clear-cut way to judge players, than it would be a great one.

Moby

Dick
This is just a ploy to make people pick more Liverpool players!

By the way I also liked that draft where all of us were allocated a 'good but not superstar' player, like I got Alain Giresse and we were supposed to build a team around him. So it would have to be a good team but also ensure the said player is the star of the show.

Any interest for the modern young players draft? U-25 sounds good to me. Or rather all players born after 1995. Can run that next if enough are interested.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Any interest for the modern young players draft? U-25 sounds good to me. Or rather all players born after 1995. Can run that next if enough are interested.
id play it but wouldnt know probably 90% of the players:lol:

Šjor Bepo

Regarding the no trophies draft, we could do it if we stay clear from national trophies as south america, specifically brazil is a mess as harms said.

So no World Cup, Euro, Copa, Champions League/European Cup, Uefa Cup/Europa League, Cup Winners Cup, Copa Libertadores.
Should reduce the pool drastically even without killing national trophies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Would you not remove league winners, too?

I was thinking if you want to spice these things up, just take out the major distractions i.e all the players who just get rotated from drafter to drafter 90% of the time.

That's how things get stale and atrophy because you're no longer doing research or thinking about a problem in the way you initially did when drafts, and all these greats, were new to you.

Thanks for the replies all, also.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is just a ploy to make people pick more Liverpool players!

By the way I also liked that draft where all of us were allocated a 'good but not superstar' player, like I got Alain Giresse and we were supposed to build a team around him. So it would have to be a good team but also ensure the said player is the star of the show.

In for u25, good way to refresh the draft.

Šjor Bepo

Would you not remove league winners, too?

I was thinking if you want to spice these things up, just take out the major distractions i.e all the players who just get rotated from drafter to drafter 90% of the time.

That's how things get stale and atrophy because you're no longer doing research or thinking about a problem in the way you initially did when drafts, and all these greats, were new to you.

Thanks for the replies all, also.
If you find a solution for brazil think we would all be up for it :)

harms

Staff
I remember it. We've built a team that brought up the best out of our player and we were told that it was too good.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you find a solution for brazil think we would all be up for it :)
You'd either remove them completely, or cap it at the level where the real stars are featuring, although I realise that's not a perfect solution. Another way would be to have a specfic level of trophy for Brazil that is acceptable, but block all the star/known figures who are replete in the plethora of drafts throughout the year.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Had an idea for something similar to the manager draft we've run previously where they had to play under that manager.

Basically pick a player and you can only build from players he's played with. Basically the same as all the 1-11s you see players doing these days.

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Had an idea for something similar to the manager draft we've run previously where they had to play under that manager.

Basically pick a player and you can only build from players he's played with. Basically the same as all the 1-11s you see players doing these days.
In

Šjor Bepo

We had prem and serie a draft, what about bundesliga or laliga?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Here’s a lazy idea.

1. There wont be a blocked list
2. Every manager can pick only 12 players
3. Only 3 players can be picked from any country throughout the draft. (That would mean we’ll have players from 50+ countries at least)
4. You can pick only 1 player from each country

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Here’s a lazy idea.

1. There wont be a blocked list
2. Every manager can pick only 12 players
3. Only 3 players can be picked from any country throughout the draft. (That would mean we’ll have players from 50+ countries at least)
4. You can pick only 1 player from each country
In

Šjor Bepo

Like it as well but id block tier 1 goats per positions as we played them way too much recently.